PDA

View Full Version : Why Are We There?

Hook Dem
07-11-2005, 01:07 PM
Why are we there?

Every day there are news reports about more deaths. Every night on TV there
are photos of death and destruction. Why are we still there?

We occupied this land, which we had to take by force, but it causes us
nothing but trouble. Why are we still there?

Many of our children go there and never come back. Why are we still there?

Their government is unstable, and they have loopy leadership. Why are we
still there?

Many of their people are uncivilized. Why are we still there?

The place is subject to natural disasters, which we are supposed to bail
them out of. Why are we still there?

There are more than 1000 religious sects, which we do not understand. Why
are we still there?

Their folkways, foods and fads are unfathomable to ordinary Americans. Why
are we still there?

We can't even secure the borders. Why are we still there?

They are billions of dollars in debt and it will cost billions more to
rebuild, which we can't afford. Why are we still there?

It is becoming clear..

WE MUST PULL OUT OF CALIFORNIA.
:lol

SWC Bonfire
07-11-2005, 01:12 PM
Oh Damn! I didn't want to click, but I did anyway... :lol Yep, the land of fruits & nuts. Lived there myself right out of college for my 1st job working in the oilfield.

Nbadan
07-11-2005, 01:44 PM
Why are we still there indeed...

The Coalition Provisional Authority did a poll of Iraqis on a number of questions and one was whether they view us as liberators or occupiers.

The results were pretty grim:

http://photos23.flickr.com/25110032_c876bc2c1d.jpg

http://photos23.flickr.com/25110033_8a382aea67.jpg

link to poll data (http://wid.ap.org/documents/iraq/cpapoll_files/frame.htm)

A Gallup poll done around the same time was only slightly more supportive of us staying.

The only poll that has shown anywhere near majority support for us being there was from a right wing think tank, that has a vested interest in making this Neocon adventure look good.

The argument that we are fighting terrorists there instead of here assumes there's a set number of people who are mad at us, and we can eventually kill enough of them to make the problem go away.

The problem is, at the base of all of it, is a resentment of our involvement in propping up their dictators, who don't share the oil wealth with their own people. All this gets channeled into religion because they have no effective political outlets in most countries over there. So by intervening militarily, we are making more not less people resent and want to attack us.

Polls of reaction in other Arab countries to our invasion of Iraq confirm this. A Zogby poll in 2003 found that 90% disapproved of our invasion.

UPI (http://www.upi.com/view.cfm?StoryID=20030317-025106-3821r)

Cant_Be_Faded
07-11-2005, 02:14 PM
nbadan do you lose sleep at night like i do when ignorant people out there seriously believe we are in iraq to set up a democracy and once that democracy is set up we are done?

its like......how can anyone be that incredibly stupid!?!?!??!?! agh i want to move to canada

SWC Bonfire
07-11-2005, 02:15 PM
^^^Somebody just posted his propaganda and didn't read the post^^^

Cant_Be_Faded
07-11-2005, 03:14 PM
nope i saw the last line but i just still cant keep my emotions in check

duncan_21
07-11-2005, 04:57 PM
Why are we there?

Every day there are news reports about more deaths. Every night on TV there
are photos of death and destruction. Why are we still there?

We occupied this land, which we had to take by force, but it causes us
nothing but trouble. Why are we still there?

Many of our children go there and never come back. Why are we still there?

Their government is unstable, and they have loopy leadership. Why are we
still there?

Many of their people are uncivilized. Why are we still there?

The place is subject to natural disasters, which we are supposed to bail
them out of. Why are we still there?

There are more than 1000 religious sects, which we do not understand. Why
are we still there?

Their folkways, foods and fads are unfathomable to ordinary Americans. Why
are we still there?

We can't even secure the borders. Why are we still there?

They are billions of dollars in debt and it will cost billions more to
rebuild, which we can't afford. Why are we still there?

It is becoming clear..

WE MUST PULL OUT OF CALIFORNIA.
:lol

I think america is just waiting for the "big one" to knock cali into the ocean.

Hook Dem
07-11-2005, 09:40 PM

The Coalition Provisional Authority did a poll of Iraqis on a number of questions and one was whether they view us as liberators or occupiers.

The results were pretty grim:

http://photos23.flickr.com/25110032_c876bc2c1d.jpg

http://photos23.flickr.com/25110033_8a382aea67.jpg

link to poll data (http://wid.ap.org/documents/iraq/cpapoll_files/frame.htm)

A Gallup poll done around the same time was only slightly more supportive of us staying.

The only poll that has shown anywhere near majority support for us being there was from a right wing think tank, that has a vested interest in making this Neocon adventure look good.

The argument that we are fighting terrorists there instead of here assumes there's a set number of people who are mad at us, and we can eventually kill enough of them to make the problem go away.

The problem is, at the base of all of it, is a resentment of our involvement in propping up their dictators, who don't share the oil wealth with their own people. All this gets channeled into religion because they have no effective political outlets in most countries over there. So by intervening militarily, we are making more not less people resent and want to attack us.

Polls of reaction in other Arab countries to our invasion of Iraq confirm this. A Zogby poll in 2003 found that 90% disapproved of our invasion.

UPI (http://www.upi.com/view.cfm?StoryID=20030317-025106-3821r)
You musta had that one cocked & loaded Dan. Read the article again. :lol

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-11-2005, 09:47 PM
This is an instant classic :lol

scott
07-11-2005, 10:07 PM
Why Are We There?

Because otherwise Hook Dem would never get any forwarded emails?

Hook Dem
07-11-2005, 10:10 PM
Because otherwise Hook Dem would never get any forwarded emails?
:lol :lol :lol Oh chit man........thats a real knee slapper there Scott! Is there a rule against posting such things? If so, you'll have to delete 80 percent of posts. Get Real!!!!

Johnny Tightlips
07-11-2005, 10:33 PM
who says i been mixin' up california and iraq?

Kori Ellis
07-11-2005, 10:42 PM

Blah, blah, blah .. blah, blah blah

Read much?

:lmao

Vashner
07-11-2005, 11:21 PM
When Clinton was commander & chief he had us working on desert warfare weapon systems and crap (here in San Antonio yes...) I remember talking to general Yates (a 4 star) back when Clinton was boss. They where like getting ready to fuck up Saddam.
President Bush decided to engage the enemy with our soldiers instead of waiting for next attack. Iraq is a giant roach trap with some cheese. Terrorists can get in easier there than here now. So they nutjobs that want Allah Virgin Coupons go in.. then they either blowthems up or Marines fuck them up with machine guns and F16 airstrikes.

.... basically that's how it works... for now at least.

Granted that's only 1 way to look at things..

Nbadan
07-12-2005, 02:10 AM
Read much?

Yes, I knew Hook-dem's post was about Cali, but the Govenators recent slide in approval rating, from 55% to 35%, pretty much explains the recent increase in right-wing attacks on the State with the second largest economy in the world next to the U.S as a whole.

President Bush decided to engage the enemy with our soldiers instead of waiting for next attack. Iraq is a giant roach trap with some cheese. Terrorists can get in easier there than here now. So they nutjobs that want Allah Virgin Coupons go in.. then they either blowthems up or Marines fuck them up with machine guns and F16 airstrikes

No one is arguing the fact that Saddam was a scumbag who should have been over-thrown during the Reagan administration, but two years later and we have still failed to find a verifiable link between Saddam and international terror aimed at the U.S... Yes, Saddam had retired terrorist in Iraq, as the U.S. and many other countries do (one country’s terrorist is another country’s freedom-fighter, right?). Meanwhile, the only legit terrorist training camp in Iraq was in Kurd-controlled area (opps!). Not only all this but the original rational for war, the whole scenario of 'mushroom clouds' and 'unmanned aerial devices' attacking the East Coast with anthrax and other deadly chemicals turned out to be complete farce.

Everyone supports the troops, but let’s at least admit that, looking back, we have made some strategic military and ethical mistakes that have made the job of rebuilding Iraq harder for the men and women laying their asses on the line. Rebuilding was supposed to be the easy part, but Iraq today, two-years later, is pumping less BPD than they were with Saddam, and parts of Baghdad still have intermittent power. Rebuilding projects are routinely sabotaged and 50% unemployment leaves a bunch of idle hands among those who are caught by the horror of war and have little else to lose but fight the invaders, especially among outlawed former Baathists military and police force. Hell, one could legitimately argue that we don’t have enough troops to even close the boarders.

All this leaves me with the conclusion that we have all gone into a collective mind-warp and forgotten the concept of self-determination that made the U.S. Government legit in the first place.

AFE7FATMAN
07-15-2005, 04:02 AM
DOn't let the "Big One" knock California into the Ocean.

Stern would give the New Lakers 52 1st round picks for the next three years.

The Clippers on the other hand would surface in Honolulu.

"That stuff floats"

CaptainHook
07-15-2005, 12:53 PM
why are we in the U.S, everytime I turn on the TV I see murder, child abuse stories, corruption stories, drunk driving deaths. How dare we be in the United States, using the land of the American Indians for our own personal use.