PDA

View Full Version : props to Jeff Van Gundy. What a refreshing commentator

hater
05-17-2013, 12:09 AM
After crypt keeper and timeout brother from another planet. Jeff Van Gundy seems so refreshing. So minty fresh. Like a lite rain in a dark Friday afternoon. :)

so pleasing.

thank you. Jeff Van Gundy

Knoxxx
05-17-2013, 12:14 AM
He's OK. I was not happy when he railed about the replay of the out of bounds play off the rebound just under 2 mins. After we got completely jobbed by refs in game 6 OKC last year, I place a high premium on accurate officiating and willing to tolerate small game delays to get that.

Floyd Pacquiao
05-17-2013, 12:14 AM
im glad we'll be getting breen and JVG in the wcf

hater
05-17-2013, 12:15 AM
He's a sweetheart

MR-Clutch
05-17-2013, 12:16 AM
I've been saying the same thing all night! Breen was pretty bad though.

naico
05-17-2013, 12:18 AM
Man Webber and Van Gundy together would have been something.

Libri
05-17-2013, 12:19 AM
So your saying you don't fancy Webber?

MannyIsGod
05-17-2013, 12:21 AM
I love Van Gundy. Underrated coach too.

What sucks, is that Sunday on ABC we're almost certain to get Hubie Brown. Hubie Brown while the Spurs are playing his former team is going to be extremely painful.

DAF86
05-17-2013, 12:23 AM
He's the best American commentator by far, still not half as good as the Mexican and Puerto Rican ones that call the games on ESPNdeportes.

exstatic
05-17-2013, 12:27 AM
I hate JVG. He whines worse than a kindegartner who hasn't had his nap. I hated his coaching, too. People complained about our offense for years, but his was worse than watching paint dry. Watching his Knicks or Rockets was like watching an entire game of Hack a _____.

HI-FI
05-17-2013, 12:29 AM
I love JVG. There's a reason why Stern supposedly didn't want Stan Van Gundy from joining ABC, because he can only handle so many truth tellers. I almost hope JVG never goes back to coaching, he's too good in his new job.

He's the best American commentator by far, still not half as good as the Mexican and Puerto Rican ones that call the games on ESPNdeportes.

are you serious? do they speak really loudly and passionately about trivial stuff?

wut
05-17-2013, 12:33 AM

What sucks, is that Sunday on ABC we're almost certain to get Hubie Brown. Hubie Brown while the Spurs are playing his former team is going to be extremely painful.
yep, I would highly recommend everyone just mute their tvs and put on the radio for that game.

This game tonight was probably the first game all playoffs that we've gotten even close to unbiased commentary.

Chinook
05-17-2013, 12:38 AM
I really hate Van Gundy as a commentator. He doesn't seem like he knows what he's talking about at all. He's easily my least favorite national commentator.

The Reckoning
05-17-2013, 12:39 AM
there has to be better and neutral announcers of this cesspool of 300 million Americans

DAF86
05-17-2013, 12:41 AM
are you serious? do they speak really loudly and passionately about trivial stuff?

Alvaro Martin y Carlos Morales.

http://www.huevosanchez.com.ar/Grafica/Noticias/0000000137.jpg

They bring the perfect mix of excitement, humour and analysis and since they don't need to be diplomatic 'cause the NBA players and coaches can't hear them, they don't doubt one bit to call them fuckers out when they are sucking like Kobe's chucking, NYK retarded iso offense, D'antoni's and Brooks' incompetence at coaching, etc. They are the best analysts of any sport I have ever heard, tbh.

ironman2886
05-17-2013, 12:43 AM
Fuck JVG tbh.

chapnis
05-17-2013, 12:44 AM
Had some good takes on Joseph

TheGoldStandard
05-17-2013, 12:45 AM
Eh, he's bi-polar. I think the ESPN influence of the flavor of the month encourages his views

Libri
05-17-2013, 12:46 AM

They bring the perfect mix of excitement, humour and analysis and since they don't need to be diplomatic 'cause the NBA players and coaches can't hear them, they don't doubt one bit to call them fuckers out when they are sucking like Kobe's chucking, NYK retarded iso offense, D'antoni's and Brooks' incompetence at coaching, etc. They are the best analysts of any sport I have ever heard, tbh.

I have noticed that. It's shocking considering that it's ESPN.

Mojazz
05-17-2013, 12:49 AM
I'd rather take JVG anytime over Dick Stockton and Chris Webber...

When Manu shot the game-winner in game1, Dick Stockton is like "Here's Ginobili... for three............................. (more silence)........................." It's like Spurs playing on other's home and the commentator could not believe what just happened.

DAF86
05-17-2013, 12:49 AM
I have noticed that. It's shocking considering that it's ESPN.

Yeah, but it's not US ESPN, it's Latin America ESPN, they know we actually appreciate team ball down here.

TheyCallMePro
05-17-2013, 12:59 AM
I appreciate his blunt honesty, but sometimes his whining really gets to me. Like when he was calling the Celtics/Knicks series, he CONSTANTLY lamented on how the Celtics simply didn't have enough to compete against the Knicks because of injuries. However the only players that WERE injured on the Celtics were Rondo (who was out like the whole season for gods sake, GET OVER IT) and Sullinger, who was not an impact player to begin with. I just cant stand how some commentators will constantly use excuses to justify results during games. This is the playoffs. Everyone is banged up. And there are always 5 NBA players on the court anyways. Thank GOD no one is injured for this next series. I can't bear to listen to Van Gundy whining again. Now Miami/Pacers is a different story. I'm sure JVG will be telling us how you cant expect Miami to compete because of Wade's knee or Hills concussion. Gunna have to mute that series. Unless TNT has it. Do they?

TrainOfThought5
05-17-2013, 01:09 AM
He's OK. I was not happy when he railed about the replay of the out of bounds play off the rebound just under 2 mins. After we got completely jobbed by refs in game 6 OKC last year, I place a high premium on accurate officiating and willing to tolerate small game delays to get that.

HI-FI
05-17-2013, 01:30 AM

i'll take your word. guess i'll try to listen to it, try to improve my horrible Spanish. it's sad that in the US, we have to suck so much corporate cock.

chasky
05-17-2013, 02:00 AM
I Agree Martin and Morales are really good.

SpursRock20
05-17-2013, 02:20 AM
I appreciate his blunt honesty, but sometimes his whining really gets to me. Like when he was calling the Celtics/Knicks series, he CONSTANTLY lamented on how the Celtics simply didn't have enough to compete against the Knicks because of injuries. However the only players that WERE injured on the Celtics were Rondo (who was out like the whole season for gods sake, GET OVER IT) and Sullinger, who was not an impact player to begin with. I just cant stand how some commentators will constantly use excuses to justify results during games. This is the playoffs. Everyone is banged up. And there are always 5 NBA players on the court anyways. Thank GOD no one is injured for this next series. I can't bear to listen to Van Gundy whining again. Now Miami/Pacers is a different story. I'm sure JVG will be telling us how you cant expect Miami to compete because of Wade's knee or Hills concussion. Gunna have to mute that series. Unless TNT has it. Do they?
Yeah, TNT will have the Eastern Conference Finals. ESPN/ABC has the West.

T Park
05-17-2013, 02:31 AM
Breen Van Gundy is a damn solid PBP color combo. Not Nessler Walton Tolbert level, but solid.

crc21209
05-17-2013, 02:36 AM

I'm pretty sure it will be Van Gundy and Breen for the entire WCF since ABC/ESPN is exclusively doing the WCF and TNT has the ECF....

Obstructed_View
05-17-2013, 02:48 AM
Crypt keeper? Hubie Brown forgets more basketball in a week than JVG has known his entire life.

Which is clearly not a prerequisite for sucking as a basketball coach or a color commentator.

bayareaspursfan
05-17-2013, 02:52 AM
I liked what he said about Corey Joseph while he was abou to shoot his FT's.

Capt Bringdown
05-17-2013, 03:00 AM
Bring back the California stud:
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS8sQpiSoEGEbRbkKJBhCnfG9Izx2eE4 TuRhT64-Tpqup9KLc-Ulw
All other stations are versions.

-21-
05-17-2013, 04:51 AM
His rants and opinions are entertaining I'll give you that.

pikkiwoki
05-17-2013, 06:43 AM
Crypt keeper? Hubie Brown forgets more basketball in a week than JVG has known his entire life.

By "crypt keeper" I think he meant Dick Stockton, imo

illusioNtEk
05-17-2013, 08:39 AM
I like JVG, he speaks the truth

bigfan
05-17-2013, 08:43 AM
Actually I think Hubie is the best in the business.

vma16
05-17-2013, 08:46 AM

You are just saying that because they LOVE the Spurs down here (Latin America). Guess Manu has a lot to do with that. :lol

johnnySpurs
05-17-2013, 08:50 AM
Love JVG as a commentator.

davidbowie
05-17-2013, 08:50 AM
breen sounds like he's orgasming every big play all throughout the game

sventhedog
05-17-2013, 08:53 AM
commentating mvp - JVG.

DAF86
05-17-2013, 09:05 AM
You are just saying that because they LOVE the Spurs down here (Latin America). Guess Manu has a lot to do with that. :lol

They would love the Spurs even if Manu wasn't there 'cause the Spurs are the closest thing to FIBA basketball, tbh. They love the way they share the ball and play the right way.

vma16
05-17-2013, 09:09 AM
They would love the Spurs even if Manu wasn't there 'cause the Spurs are the closest thing to FIBA basketball, tbh. They love the way they share the ball and play the right way.

Yeah, thats true...
They do love the spurs though

moisaenz
05-17-2013, 10:35 AM
It's because the spurs are almost in Mexico, and espuelas is extremely Mexican

SouthernFried
05-17-2013, 10:47 AM
Well, I listened to Hubie Brown on one game, and thought he was a complete moron. Whoever was sitting next to him had to correct him several times. I've been listening and watching games since the 70's. In all that time, I remember listening to only one guy being worse than Hubie...but, I can't remember his name...lol.

I will not listen to Hubie again. Life's too short.

Leetonidas
05-17-2013, 10:53 AM
Van Gundy is annoying. He's always going on stupid rants that make him sound like a whining old man.

KaiRMD1
05-17-2013, 11:02 AM
Van Gundy is the only ESPN commentator I actually enjoy. Eventhough it sounds like he complains about everything, he still makes valid points.

tmtcsc
05-17-2013, 01:48 PM
I remember when Stockton was our commentary guy for the Spurs on Fox one year. I used to call him the "ub-dub" guy because he said that while trying to figure out what to say...You could call it a replacement for "duh".

That ball looked to be out on.. "ub-dub" Mahn-O Ginobili. --- Of course Manu wasn't even on the floor.

snickles
05-17-2013, 02:42 PM
After crypt keeper and timeout brother from another planet. Jeff Van Gundy seems so refreshing. So minty fresh. Like a lite rain in a dark Friday afternoon. :)

so pleasing.

thank you. Jeff Van Gundy

not sure if serious....

the same jeff van gundy who, in one single game, complained about flopping, said ginobili should have flopped to get a call, championed that coaches should be able to challenge any call and get a replay, and then complained about the refs going to replay too much?

Vic Petro
05-17-2013, 02:50 PM
Actually I think Hubie is the best in the business.

hater
05-17-2013, 02:55 PM
not sure if serious....

the same jeff van gundy who, in one single game, complained about flopping, said ginobili should have flopped to get a call, championed that coaches should be able to challenge any call and get a replay, and then complained about the refs going to replay too much?

I prefer him a lot more than Chris Webber or the old man who couldn't seem to comment without Warriors cock in their mouth

bklynspursfan
05-17-2013, 03:45 PM

I know if JVG was calling that game he would've definitely mentioned how horrendous it was. He calls it like he sees it most of the times which is what I like.

Sean Cagney
05-17-2013, 03:46 PM
He is alright, bring back WALTON THOUGH! That was comedy there.

SpursRock20
05-17-2013, 03:48 PM
Not to mention, he was like in love with Duncan.

SpursRock20
05-17-2013, 03:54 PM
Why is Hubie Brown getting so much love? This guy is done.

hater
05-17-2013, 04:01 PM
Why is Hubie Brown getting so much love? This guy is done.

agree. I used to like Crypt Keeper. But he's pretty much done. I don't mind him for maybe a half time commentary, but him going for 2 and 1/2 hours just shows he's barely trying to keep up. still I don't mind him too much but for some reason Warriors series he was unbearable

ohmwrecker
05-17-2013, 04:04 PM
Hubie Brown is fucking awesome.

Obstructed_View
05-17-2013, 04:23 PM

Walton absolutely loves the game of basketball, has a great voice, knows when to be theatrical, is always entertaining, and NEVER EVER takes himself seriously. Color commentary is what that man was born for.

Hubie Brown is the best in the business, if the business is monotonous repetition of tired catch phrases and basing commentary on preconceived notions and judgments rather than what's happening on the court.

emanueldavidginobili
05-17-2013, 04:42 PM
I wish TNT had the WCF tbh because I love inside the NBA. I used to love Walton though he was my favorite had a good voice and loved the game and was a funny bastard, I wish ESPN would hire him tbh instead Jon Barry, Flip Saunders, Kurt Rambis, Antonio fucking Davis...The only one I like is Tim Legler. But Hubie is the man hes filled with so much knowledge I thought he was awesome when he was calling our 2005 playoffs run.

SouthernFried
05-17-2013, 08:08 PM
Thanks for reminding me.

Bill Walton was the guy I was thinking of that was worse than Hubie. Man, that guy was the worst.

It's interesting to see that those that like Hubie, seem to like Walton too. But, I don't think I will go there. I'm all into peace and harmony in my old age.

ohmwrecker
05-17-2013, 08:13 PM
Bill Walton was absolutely the worst, but I liked him with Tom Tolbert because Tolbert gave him shit non-stop.

superbigtime
05-18-2013, 12:29 AM
Don't care much for JVG, but he's more tolerable than regina, hubie, stockton, and webber. They are all clearly biased. Breen came on himself every time Curry touched the ball. Hate mike Breen.