PDA

View Full Version : Pop with the coaching decision of the year (so far)

MannyIsGod
05-17-2013, 12:10 AM
Sitting Duncan in the 4th was a great decision. Tim had played a pretty good game so far but doing that completely opened up the floor and allowed the Spurs to get 4 open 3s in the final 4 minutes of the game. I thought he was nuts, but it was timely and it worked very very very well.

Good call, Pop!

benefactor
05-17-2013, 12:12 AM
Fucking crazy call...but the right one. Perhaps Pop hasn't gone senile yet after all.

DAF86
05-17-2013, 12:13 AM
I wanted for him to do that but I didn't think he would do it, Props.

weebo
05-17-2013, 12:13 AM
Sitting Duncan in the 4th was a great decision. Tim had played a pretty good game so far but doing that completely opened up the floor and allowed the Spurs to get 4 open 3s in the final 4 minutes of the game. I thought he was nuts, but it was timely and it worked very very very well.

Good call, Pop!

Had more to do with Duncan throwing the ball over the place more than anything else.

2centsworth
05-17-2013, 12:15 AM

Good call, Pop!

you beat me to it. TD fell apart in the 4th

td4mvp21
05-17-2013, 12:16 AM
Yeah, it was a good call. I never thought I'd see the day where Duncan was on the bench in the final minutes of a closeout playoff game, though.

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-17-2013, 12:16 AM
Going small was the smart play and Tiago was playing the best ball of all the bigs tonight. I'll take the W however it happens.

MannyIsGod
05-17-2013, 12:17 AM
I don't know if Tim was just tired, but his fourth quarter was pretty bad. I thought it was more a function of how bad Tony was playing, though. Whatever the case, Pop found what worked.

Mal
05-17-2013, 12:19 AM
Tiago is better to play high pick and roll defense. For me this was obvious move to make, when Pop decided to go small.

ShoogarBear
05-17-2013, 12:19 AM
Pop must having something against passes to Section 14.

Whisky Dog
05-17-2013, 12:20 AM
Also the decision to leave Parker in when Parker shook off the substitution in the 4th. He was playing like shit and Pop was running Joseph to the table but decided to pull him back. Parker then it the big 2 3s and clutch free throws.

HI-FI
05-17-2013, 12:21 AM
ballsy move from Pop.

he deserves an A+ for us winning despite Parker and Ginobili's horrible offense.

DPG21920
05-17-2013, 12:23 AM
Forget the offense, Tim's defense was inexcusable. Lack of rebounding when they needed it, poor rotations.Then just derailed offensively. Its scary because Tim has looked zapped after good first quarters a few times now and basically became a liability. Scary stuff.

Splits
05-17-2013, 12:24 AM
Pop with gigantic balls benching Duncan and going small with both TP and Manu who were shit all night. Unreal decision, and it worked perfectly. CIA Pop

jermaine
05-17-2013, 12:25 AM
Where's the bitch Blake. You called me stupid for saying Duncan should be benched. Pop called me an I told him my thought.

DPG21920
05-17-2013, 12:26 AM
Like others said, major props to Pop and Duncan. That took so much courage to make that decision and for Tim to not fight it, but embrace it was fantastic. Total team effort.

Need Tim though.

Drachen
05-17-2013, 12:30 AM
I'll take the W however it happens.

The important thing is : so will Duncan

ballhog
He was sucking. Getting outrebounded by smaller guys, missing bunnies and throwing ball away. Not a tough decision.

Drachen
I'll take the W however it happens.

The important thing is : so will Duncan

crc21209
Excellent decision by Pop tonight. This was just a bad series for TD matchup wise. Now next series we are really going to need Duncan, Splitter, and Diaw..

FromWayDowntown
That decision -- the right one -- is one that only a coach with the sort of credibility that Pop has can make; it's also one that only a selfless superstar, secure in his legacy and concerned only with winning, will accept.

Van Gundy spent a lot of time tonight talking about the Spurs' culture and the great character that is required for that culture to truly become institutionalized. He's absolutely right -- superstars are rare; superstars with impeccable character are rarer still; superstars with impeccable character and an utterly selfless devotion to winning games above all else are the most precious commodity in sports and the Spurs have had two of them.

Floyd Pacquiao
05-17-2013, 12:31 AM
it was the right move..tim was slow late, hesitating and making bad passes....crazy but right move

Brunodf
05-17-2013, 12:31 AM
:toastProps to Pop, Timmy was tired

barakz21
05-17-2013, 12:33 AM
Also the decision to leave Parker in when Parker shook off the substitution in the 4th. He was playing like shit and Pop was running Joseph to the table but decided to pull him back. Parker then it the big 2 3s and clutch free throws.

pretty cool to see pop having enough trust and confidence in cojo to put him in the game, in such a crucial junction.

Mal
05-17-2013, 12:33 AM
And now I think, this was planned before the game. Duncan looked tired, but he went back on the court at about 9 minutes to go. Splitter was still out. When Warriors went to their small closing unit, Pop has left Splitter on the floor and sit Duncan.

The Reckoning
05-17-2013, 12:37 AM
those poor TD lost puppy eyes :cry

howbouthemspurs
05-17-2013, 12:41 AM
Very smart call by Pop! He's a genius after all! :hat

SpurOutofTownFan
05-17-2013, 12:43 AM
I went from trading Pop on the spot to wanting to cook breakfast for him :wow

SenorSpur
05-17-2013, 12:43 AM
Had more to do with Duncan throwing the ball over the place more than anything else.

Agreed. By that time, Duncan has missed 2-3 shots in a row, throwing inexplicable passes to no one in particular and just didn't seem as though he had his head in the game. I fully support Pop's decision to bench him. After all, Splitter was playing better at that moment.

Obstructed_View
05-17-2013, 12:44 AM
Same decision as the other game they shit away, they just made some of the threes they jacked up this time.

wut
Tim didn't have his legs...and like some here already know, Pop already working up Duncan's motivation for Memphis.

TheGoldStandard
Timmy was gassed, lots of energy holding court in the 1st half. Needs to rest up for Sunday too, at least we get 2 days to rest sorta.

dav4463
05-17-2013, 12:45 AM
I went from trading Pop on the spot to wanting to cook breakfast for him :wow

Good one!

Kuestmaster
05-17-2013, 12:45 AM
San Antonio Popovichs

lefty20
05-17-2013, 12:46 AM
I disagree. The decision of the year has the appointing CoJo as the back-up PG.

Chinook
05-17-2013, 12:46 AM
Perhaps it will help Splitter's confidence, too. Splitter really needs to have a good series against Memphis. He's to that series as Green was to this one.

Keepin' it real
05-17-2013, 12:49 AM
Perhaps it will help Splitter's confidence, too. Splitter really needs to have a good series against Memphis. He's to that series as Green was to this one.

Agreed. This could be huge for Tiago's confidence heading into the WCF

DPG21920
05-17-2013, 12:50 AM
A few things:

1) In hindsight -how huge was it to get Splitter back. He slowly but surely made a bigger and bigger impact in this series and I am not sure the Spurs win without him. This hopefully builds his confidence. Spurs need him healthy at all times. His play today allowed Pop to make that huge coaching decision.

2) Is GS's pick and roll defense really that good? How was the Spurs offense struggling so badly this series vs a team that really is not a great defensive team? That is a very scary thing and it has me alarmed for next round when you play a Memphis team that is stacked with defenders. How did the Spurs win a game with Manu/TP playing so bad from a scoring perspective?

3) Tim's level of play is horrifying at the moment. He has been pretty awful defensively which is even more concerning than him looking zapped after every first quarter and unable to make 8 foot shots. What is going on? Did he just get beat up too much? Can he recover? Spurs have 0 shot with Tim playing this way and I really hope he can pick it up.

Obstructed_View
05-17-2013, 12:58 AM
1) Agreed. His defense and screening is so huge for this team. He makes everything easier for his teammates.

2) The Spurs feasted when they bothered to run it, but they spend way too much time running screens for three point shooters. The upside is they aren't making those terrible cross court passes that always turn into steals.

3) Bad matchup all around for Timmy. He's going to dominate in the WCF. He's going to have to step up his pick and roll defense in the finals though. That lazy shit isn't going to get it done against Miami.

Obstructed_View
05-17-2013, 12:59 AM

Splitter's critical, but he also needs to toughen the fuck up the next round. Allowing yourself to get thrown around to get calls a) isn't working, and b)will not end well against Memphis' size.

wut
05-17-2013, 01:00 AM
A few things:

1) In hindsight -how huge was it to get Splitter back. He slowly but surely made a bigger and bigger impact in this series and I am not sure the Spurs win without him. This hopefully builds his confidence. Spurs need him healthy at all times. His play today allowed Pop to make that huge coaching decision.

2) Is GS's pick and roll defense really that good? How was the Spurs offense struggling so badly this series vs a team that really is not a great defensive team? That is a very scary thing and it has me alarmed for next round when you play a Memphis team that is stacked with defenders. How did the Spurs win a game with Manu/TP playing so bad from a scoring perspective?

3) Tim's level of play is horrifying at the moment. He has been pretty awful defensively which is even more concerning than him looking zapped after every first quarter and unable to make 8 foot shots. What is going on? Did he just get beat up too much? Can he recover? Spurs have 0 shot with Tim playing this way and I really hope he can pick it up.
1) Splitter played well for playing a team that doesn't really play post their front court players.
2) GS's pick-n-roll d wasn't all that great, but to answer the questions it is due to their speed. Luckily Memphis doesn't have speed like that.
3) Like Splitter, Duncan didn't affect the game like he usually does, because GS' offense is all backcourt and jumpers. Having said that, I am worried about Duncan and Parker getting tired WAY too early in the past two games.

DPG21920
05-17-2013, 01:01 AM
True, but Tim also wasn't the one on the floor draining big 4th quarter shots. While TP had a really bad offensive night outside of the 4th, TP also was the Spurs best player (scoring wise) this series. TP also had to defend guys much bigger than him, while Tim was never asked to defend anyone twice his size. TP, good night or bad, didn't fade - he had great energy and toughness the entire game for all the games. Tim was unable to sustain and that has me worried.

mercos
05-17-2013, 01:02 AM
Pop had a great coaching series. The defensive adjustments he made changed the series. Smart move with Duncan as well. He played long in the 3rd, probably hoping to put Golden State away and cruise in the fourth when the pressure would be high on the young team. When they failed to finish them off, the strategy backfired and Duncan was gassed in the 4th. Luckily, Splitter was having his best game of the series and Pop used him at crunch time.

silverblackfan
05-17-2013, 01:02 AM
Going small was the smart play and Tiago was playing the best ball of all the bigs tonight. I'll take the W however it happens.
I know that I am not the only one to think that sounds wrong, but it was the right call. It really is the big 4, including Pop. His calls on a time out alone are worthy, but it is so much more. Duncan's post game interview says it all. The team trusts Pop, for better or worse.
Personally, I think it is for the better. I cannot picture another coach getting this much out of this team's talent.
<Side note: Screw Mark Jackson. He gives good sound bites, but Pop brings the system to life and make the players believe.

DPG21920
05-17-2013, 01:03 AM
1) Agreed. His defense and screening is so huge for this team. He makes everything easier for his teammates.

2) The Spurs feasted when they bothered to run it, but they spend way too much time running screens for three point shooters. The upside is they aren't making those terrible cross court passes that always turn into steals.

3) Bad matchup all around for Timmy. He's going to dominate in the WCF. He's going to have to step up his pick and roll defense in the finals though. That lazy shit isn't going to get it done against Miami.

Well, however you look at it, Spurs for the most part let a slightly above average defensive team pretty much dictate exactly what they wanted the Spurs to do on offense. I felt the Spurs settled a lot for jumpers (especially long twos) and as a result, their offense was really, really rough for the most part.

Chinook
05-17-2013, 01:04 AM
Splitter's critical, but he also needs to toughen the fuck up the next round. Allowing yourself to get thrown around to get calls a) isn't working, and b)will not end well against Memphis' size.

Yeah. He needs to step up like Green did. Splitter can put a big imprint on the game by stopping Randolph on defense and setting strong screens and rolling well on offense. If Splitter is playing as well as he did during parts of the regular season, Memphis will be hard pressed to stop him.

DPG21920
05-17-2013, 01:07 AM
I was thrilled with Tiago on Randolph this year for the most part. We will see if it's sustainable.

DPG21920
05-17-2013, 01:07 AM
Rebounding has me terrified. If GS could put the Spurs in the hurt locker from a rebounding perspective, MEM has the potential to end the Spurs.

Obstructed_View
05-17-2013, 01:11 AM
Well, however you look at it, Spurs for the most part let a slightly above average defensive team pretty much dictate exactly what they wanted the Spurs to do on offense. I felt the Spurs settled a lot for jumpers (especially long twos) and as a result, their offense was really, really rough for the most part.

I agree. Game 5 was the only good offensive performance of the series. I don't think that was Warriors defense, I think it was the Spurs forgetting to pass the ball. We'll find out pretty quickly on Sunday if I'm right or not.

Obstructed_View
05-17-2013, 01:12 AM
Rebounding has me terrified. If GS could put the Spurs in the hurt locker from a rebounding perspective, MEM has the potential to end the Spurs.

Maybe so. What Golden State does is so weird with little guys scrambling around for long rebounds I don't know if it's an issue. Memphis will not be putting up that many long jumpers unless the Spurs get very lucky.

DPG21920
05-17-2013, 01:13 AM
Good point ^. We just have to see. More questions than answers at this point, but that sort of sums up this team. Lot's of questions, but the answers so far have been wins.

Obstructed_View
05-17-2013, 01:15 AM
This is the opposite of 2011. This team was built to beat Memphis.

Fabbs
05-17-2013, 01:16 AM
Or maybe the 12 point lead would not have melted away had he put left in CoJo for tired ball hogging Parker and Splitts who helped build the lead. :rolleyes

He's a genius because he almost pissed away another winnable playoff game but got saved in the end.

Nathan89
05-17-2013, 01:16 AM
Tim was unable to sustain and that has me worried.

The good thing is he won't have to close out on shooters against memphis. He'll be able to sit back and let them come to him.

T Park
05-17-2013, 01:19 AM

Yeah not getting the apprehension. The bigs rotation is twice what it was 2 years ago, the Spurs wings are much improved with Leonard and Green out there. Parker can rest on the defensive end vs Prince or Allen unlike against GS.

Green can check Conley who should be easier youd think than Steph Curry.

T Park
05-17-2013, 01:20 AM
The good thing is he won't have to close out on shooters against memphis. He'll be able to sit back and let them come to him.

Yeah exactly, Tim and Splitter get to stay at home with their men and don't have to chase around great shooters like Thompson Curry Jack against Memphis.

Nathan89
05-17-2013, 01:23 AM
I was thrilled with Tiago on Randolph this year for the most part. We will see if it's sustainable.

You'll see that matchup this series as well. Randolph uses his body a lot in the post and that would take a lot of energy out of Duncan. Gasol isn't nearly as physical and his moves consist of a turnaround jumper over the defender, couple dribble across the paint for a hook shot, and his mid-range jumper. Overall a easier task for Timmy despite Marc being massive.

ChumpDumper
05-17-2013, 01:26 AM
Or maybe the 12 point lead would not have melted away had he put left in CoJo for tired ball hogging Parker and Splitts who helped build the lead. :rolleyes

He's a genius because he almost pissed away another winnable playoff game but got saved in the end.lol Fabbs mad at Spurs win

T Park
05-17-2013, 01:29 AM
Ball hogging parker? The same one who made clutch 3s at the end?

Time for Fabbs to go away.

Fabbs
05-17-2013, 01:30 AM
lol Fabbs mad at Spurs win
:rollin StrawHump sup?
Ur happy Popped choked the lead away.
Luvs the drama.

ChumpDumper
05-17-2013, 01:33 AM
:rollin StrawHump sup?
Ur happy Popped choked the lead away.
Luvs the drama.Spurs win.

U mad.

As it always shall be.

Fabbs
05-17-2013, 01:46 AM
T_Park
ur really dumb when it comes to basketball.
What's up? Where/are you partying right now?

Obstructed_View
05-17-2013, 02:12 AM
Ball hogging parker? The same one who made clutch 3s at the end?

Time for Fabbs to go away.

Question to you and everyone else: Why don't you have him on your ignore list?

Click here tbh (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/profile.php?do=addlist&userlist=ignore&u=3662)

therealtruth
05-17-2013, 06:44 AM
Hopefully the team just needs some rest. They will have two days to rest up before the Grizzlies. I think the next series will need Baynes on the active list.

pgardn
05-17-2013, 07:06 AM
you beat me to it. TD fell apart in the 4th

This is scary.

We have seen this now for 3 games. He appears to be wearing down. For all the Free Tiago fans now is the time.
Tiago needs to:
1. Play extended minute without wearing down.
2. Do what Ibaka and Perkins could not do, control both Gasol and Ibaka when given that duty
3. Make both Gasol and or Randolph move while they play defense.
4. Picks on the aforementioned bigs must be solid, crush Conely or Allen once a game with a freebie foul.
5. Get his hands on the ball after shots on both ends and hold the hell onto the ball

This series could make him some bucks. Tiago has more mobility than both of their bigs, lets see how effective he can be with that advantage.

pgardn
05-17-2013, 07:12 AM
Hopefully the team just needs some rest. They will have two days to rest up before the Grizzlies. I think the next series will need Baynes on the active list.

I shudder when I think of all the veteran tricks Baynes will be exposed to and the refs won't give him a break. Pop may try to front Z with Bonner and look for help from Green or Leonard once the ball is lobbed over the top.

Baynes could accumulate fouls in record time. His strength is a huge plus though.

boutons_deux
05-17-2013, 07:51 AM
Yeah, it was a good call. I never thought I'd see the day where Duncan was on the bench in the final minutes of a closeout playoff game, though.

Jeff van Gundy had exactly that comment, a HoFer benched in crunch time?, and turned it into praise for the team respecting and trusting the coach's decisions.

Brazil
05-17-2013, 07:55 AM
For Tim it was definitely a good serie. He always struggle against Bogut, Defending high pick & roll is not anymore where he is good at, long twos give long rebounds that are more difficult to chase especially against smaller energy guys. Memphis will give him something he is more comfortable at.

From defending the 3 to holding the rebound battle.

Blake
05-17-2013, 08:25 AM
Where's the bitch Blake. You called me stupid for saying Duncan should be benched. Pop called me an I told him my thought.

Where did you say Tim should be benched in the 4th quarter of last nights game?

jermaine
05-17-2013, 08:58 AM
Where did you say Tim should be benched in the 4th quarter of last nights game?
Shut up you homosexual! You know when I'm referring to. Go back in my thread Pop is the problem. Eat crow fuck boy

Blake
05-17-2013, 09:05 AM
Shut up you homosexual! You know when I'm referring to. Go back in my thread Pop is the problem. Eat crow fuck boy

Game 4 is not game 6. No crow until you show it for last nights game.

DAF86
05-17-2013, 09:13 AM
I was going to post "get Manu in there for Timmy after the break" during the TO where GS cut the lead to 2. I'm very dissapointed that I didn't, tbh.

BWS-1994
05-17-2013, 11:45 AM
I thought Barnes missing helped the small ball too.

spurraider21
05-17-2013, 11:46 AM
Tim missed a shot at the rim he usually makes and he missed a 7 foot jumper. Then he got rejected on an attempt at the rim, followed by a turnover. It was time to take him out

InRareForm
05-17-2013, 11:48 AM
http://www.sbnation.com/2013/5/17/4339328/tim-duncan-benched-spurs-warriors-nba-playoffs

good recap of the situation

Man In Black
05-17-2013, 12:06 PM
I actually thought that removing Tim forced the Spurs to just focus on running the offense. It seemed like, for a few minutes, that the team was scrambling and they tried to go to Duncan to bail them out. Pop taking Tim out left the team with no other options than to just build from the motion set and find the open man.

GENIUS :worthy: :pop:

DAF86
05-17-2013, 12:17 PM
I actually thought that removing Tim forced the Spurs to just focus on running the offense. It seemed like, for a few minutes, that the team was scrambling and they tried to go to Duncan to bail them out. Pop taking Tim out left the team with no other options than to just build from the motion set and find the open man.

GENIUS :worthy: :pop:

I think it had more to do with Tim sucking on offense and Tiago providing the better defense to be the anchor in the middle of the 4 guards, tbh.

tesseractive
05-17-2013, 12:26 PM

This. Tiago may not be the toughest guy in the post, but our post rotation has completely changed from 2 years ago. We have two guys with size in the starting lineup now, Blair's riding the pine, and Bonner has only been playing a handful of minutes. That's night and day different from 2 years ago, when the Turd Towers were crucial parts of our rotation.

We also didn't have Kawhi 2 years ago. With their lack of 3-point shooting, he's going to be able to camp out near the lane for most of the game and bring the double team whenever we need it. We can throw Danny, Tony, and Cory at Conley, and he's not going to see a ton of great looks.

They have a great defense, but so do we. We may be winning some of these 75-65, but I just think we can get more stops when it comes down to it.

Man In Black
05-17-2013, 12:35 PM
I think it had more to do with Tim sucking on offense and Tiago providing the better defense to be the anchor in the middle of the 4 guards, tbh.

Watching at a Sports Bar, that what I felt at that time. I read the SB Nation post and I agree with it but, last night, I didn't think Tim's D was that bad. Overall, the FG%'s for GSW were low all around regardless of who was in but I agree Tiago's position D was much better.

wildbill2u
05-17-2013, 01:24 PM
I can't think of another coach in any sport who would have removed his star player, especially after his scoring in the first half. If we had lost, the decision would have come back to haunt Pop forever.

And when questioned about it after the game, he protected Tim by simply stating it was his decision to make the move without any reference to WHY he did it.

The bravest move by a coach I ever saw.

therealtruth
05-17-2013, 08:02 PM
Who remembers the Suns exposing Duncan at the end of game 2 in '10 on the pick and roll. I think Pop was trying to avoid that. If we had some decent pick and roll defense in that series we probably could have won it.

Gino-Step
05-17-2013, 08:49 PM
I can't think of another coach in any sport who would have removed his star player, especially after his scoring in the first half. If we had lost, the decision would have come back to haunt Pop forever.

And when questioned about it after the game, he protected Tim by simply stating it was his decision to make the move without any reference to WHY he did it.

The bravest move by a coach I ever saw.

lol. have you ever asked out a girl on a date? you seem real scared to do anything. Give him credit (to quote Mark Jackson) but damn you got no balls.

NickiRasgo
05-17-2013, 09:39 PM
CIA Pop!

Why Gregg Popovich benched Tim Duncan

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/5/17/4339328/tim-duncan-benched-spurs-warriors-nba-playoffs

ducks
05-18-2013, 12:24 AM
http://www.sbnation.com/2013/5/17/4339328/tim-duncan-benched-spurs-warriors-nba-playoffs?utm_source=sbnation&utm_medium=nextclicks&utm_campaign=articlebottom

therealtruth
05-18-2013, 12:12 PM
This. Tiago may not be the toughest guy in the post, but our post rotation has completely changed from 2 years ago. We have two guys with size in the starting lineup now, Blair's riding the pine, and Bonner has only been playing a handful of minutes. That's night and day different from 2 years ago, when the Turd Towers were crucial parts of our rotation.

We also didn't have Kawhi 2 years ago. With their lack of 3-point shooting, he's going to be able to camp out near the lane for most of the game and bring the double team whenever we need it. We can throw Danny, Tony, and Cory at Conley, and he's not going to see a ton of great looks.

They have a great defense, but so do we. We may be winning some of these 75-65, but I just think we can get more stops when it comes down to it.

What killed us two years ago is that Gasol/Randolph could shoot over the top of Blair/Bonner. Also Duncan had to help so much he couldn't focus on his individual coverage.