PDA

View Full Version : Expectations Have Been Reached

timvp
05-17-2013, 12:31 AM
I know there are a lot of championship-or-bust fans but I want to take a timeout to congratulate the Spurs for at least hitting par on this season. I said before the season and again before the playoffs that the Spurs making it to the WCF in reasonable health would be a reasonable expectation. Less than that would be a failure. More than that would be success. So right now, even if things go south, the Spurs put together another fine season.

The aging legs and the accompanying injuries made it a difficult road to travel at times -- but they're here and they have a chance.

Congrats and thanks for another fun ride :tu

benefactor
05-17-2013, 12:36 AM
Agreed. No one would have guessed the Spurs will still be putting together 50 win seasons and WCF appearances this late in Duncan's career. Good to be a fan.

barakz21
05-17-2013, 12:39 AM
Win or lose, Champions or not, I am and will always be proud of the Spurs.

BatManu20
Truth. I've said all season that I thought that this team's ceiling was the WCF. Anything else from here on out is just gravy. Love my Spurs, they've been gutsy thus far.

:flag:

SenorSpur
Amen.

Amuseddaysleeper
05-17-2013, 12:40 AM
Just enjoy it, who knows how often/if this core will be back here again.

Should be a great series with the Grizzlies.

Think about how brutal this forum felt after Game 2 against Golden State. Look where the Spurs are at now.

Good stuff :tu

Chinook
Duncan and Splitter playing well tonight bodes well for the Spurs. Despite what ESPN thinks, Duncan and Splitter match up well with Randolph and Gasol. The Grizzlies' perimeter players will have to step up; their defense will not have the same success against a balanced system as it did against Durant's one-man show.

Rummpd
Spurs got through a tough young team and are going to beat the Grizz - expectations should now be of the Spurs going onto the finals, they have the experience and the better team just have to play Spurs basketball.

wut
05-17-2013, 12:41 AM
There's a sad truth to this. To expect MORE than this from a team with Duncan and Manu at their age, is unrealistic. We need to be younger to REALLY compete and dominate in the league today. It's only the Spurs' championship pedigree that has them with a chance to compete for further.

Floyd Pacquiao
05-17-2013, 12:41 AM
yep just enjoy the ride, what ever happens, happen..GSG Believe etc.

Old School 44
05-17-2013, 12:42 AM
After these playoffs are over, we'll look back on this series and say the best thing that could have happened to the Spurs was being challenged by the Golden State Warriors.

Kuestmaster
True. But now with home court advantage and against the 5th seed in the conference, though memphis clearly could be the 3rd best team in the west, I'm very optimistic of our chances. Not going to the Finals would be a bummer tougher than last year's.

racm
37 year old Duncan
TOSB Ginobili
Parker getting hurt midway through the season
the whole Captain Jack drama
Injuries to everyone

and yet we're back in the WCF. :flag:

Uriel
05-17-2013, 12:44 AM
Expectations changed when Westbrook went down, tbh.

DAF86
05-17-2013, 12:44 AM
Fuck this shit, they should and have to beat Memphis. If they don't I'm gonna be fucking pissed.

Obstructed_View
05-17-2013, 12:46 AM
Congrats on a good season, but....Miami looks like they could be vulnerable. This is seriously the last chance the Spurs will have for the next ten to fifteen years to ring. They need to play desperate from here on out.

DPG21920
05-17-2013, 12:46 AM
Agree and disagree. With all the injuries and flaws to the teams in the West and with how wide open it was, in addition to the regular season the Spurs had, anything other than a strong WCF showing would be sub par to me. Given, before the playoffs I agreed with you, but after with the Westbrook injury and the path to the Finals being a 1st round bye (7th seed injured Lakers), 2nd round 6th seed and WCF 5th seed, anything less than a strong showing in the WCF would be a disappointment. They have such a great shot at the finals with how things have gone that to me it's at least finals or bust.

But it has been fun. It's been nice to have some adversity and pull through. Like I said before, I found joy in the struggle. Seeing the sweep or lose Spurs of the past few years has been rough. This is more like a championship run of the past.

DarrinS
05-17-2013, 12:47 AM
If spurs don't get a ring this year, no one gives a shit about expectations.

RD2191

But they don't give out banners for reaching the conference finals. Spurs tank looks alarmingly empty though so I guess we should be happy they didn't get chased out the building tonight

Arcadian
05-17-2013, 12:48 AM
Well, this was the minimal expectation.

The full expectation is to make the Finals.

gameFACE
05-17-2013, 12:48 AM
Well done so far. I'm glad this series went 6, mostly for the young guys to get experience. If they can weather the first two Grizzlies games there's a nice 3-day break before the series heads to Memphis. Spurs are going to the finals!

timtonymanu
05-17-2013, 12:49 AM
:tu

After the way the Spurs were embarrassed in 2011, b2b WCF appearances did not seem likely.

phxspurfan
05-17-2013, 12:50 AM
Yeah, thanks Spurs for giving my friends who root for the Suns another year of living hell.

TheGoldStandard
05-17-2013, 12:50 AM
I'm happy with the run so far, lets get to the Finals.

PhingerRoll
05-17-2013, 12:51 AM
But they don't give out banners for reaching the conference finals. Spurs tank looks alarmingly empty though so I guess we should be happy they didn't get chased out the building tonight

I disagree wholeheartedly... The Spurs looked fresh and dynamic on defense as a team tonight. Manu, Tony, Splitter and Diaw are getting healthier as we go.. We are in a good place right now...

Mugen
05-17-2013, 12:51 AM
Good run so far. But i'm LOADED FOR BEAR.

FTG.

capek
05-17-2013, 12:57 AM
Agreed. No one would have guessed the Spurs will still be putting together 50 win seasons and WCF appearances this late in Duncan's career. Good to be a fan.

That's the truth! These last two seasons have been a surprise and a gift. We're hugely fortunate to have the pleasure of watching this team compete at such a high level this long. :tu

DPG21920
05-17-2013, 12:57 AM
Positives:

MEM, even against an OKC team without Westbrook, won a lot of close games. They did a great job at taking Durant out and OKC was still able to be in every game near the end. So it gives you hope because even if they take TP out of the game, Spurs are a better offensive team than the Westbrook-less Thunder and should be able to be in every game even if TP struggles. Not only that, but the Spurs are a better defensive team than OKC so when you look at both sides of the ball and how OKC was in every game even with some sub par Durant play, you have to feel good about your chances.

Negatives:

Tim's play. On both ends. His stamina looks gone as does his effectiveness over the course of a game/series. Can he find his game and the energy to pick it up and not have to be benched?

Spurs offense. Memphis is quite easily a better defensive team than GS and the Spurs offense sputtered this series in a major way. Spurs were able to win with defense, but if they allow MEM to rebound like GS did and their offense goes to hell, Spurs are in a lot of trouble. Will they find their offense consistently or is their style of play doomed in the playoffs as in previous years when the series gets tough.

crc21209
05-17-2013, 12:58 AM
Like others have said...I both agree and disagree. I'm extremely happy that they've made it back to the WCF's, but now that they're here.. they need to take advantage of it. They need last season's dissapointment to fuel them....

Viva Las Espuelas
05-17-2013, 12:59 AM
i've always said that when we're healthy we're unstoppable. too bad injuries really get the best of us down the stretch. we're in a pretty good spot this deep in the playoffs. i'm excited and ready for this next push. VIVA LAS ESPUELAS!!!!!!!!

DatBoyGood
05-17-2013, 01:00 AM
It doesn't get better than this. Playing memphis in the WCF but this time with a healthier duncan, kawhi and green. Revenge.

T Park
05-17-2013, 01:00 AM
Congrats on a good season, but....Miami looks like they could be vulnerable. This is seriously the last chance the Spurs will have for the next ten to fifteen years to ring. They need to play desperate from here on out.

Agree. Wade hurt, Allen looks gassed. No interior anything what so ever.

SpurOutofTownFan
05-17-2013, 01:01 AM
You have to think in perspective that after the early exit back in 2011 people were ready to dismiss the spurs for good but here they are again

T Park
05-17-2013, 01:02 AM
In response to the "Duncan stamina" the quick turnaround from 3-4-5-6 was tough. Two days before 1. day off at home then 3 off before game 3 will be huge.

I think Duncan gets a second breath.

Dex
Been said before....but great fucking time to be a Spurs fan. Love this team, regardless of whatever happens going forward.

Believe 2013.

will_spurs
I was glad to see that this will be Duncan's 8th trip to the WCF, which is already amazing in and of itself...

Now the Spurs have to go all-in!

Obstructed_View
05-17-2013, 01:04 AM
Positives:

MEM, even against an OKC team without Westbrook, won a lot of close games. They did a great job at taking Durant out and OKC was still able to be in every game near the end. So it gives you hope because even if they take TP out of the game, Spurs are a better offensive team than the Westbrook-less Thunder and should be able to be in every game even if TP struggles. Not only that, but the Spurs are a better defensive team than OKC so when you look at both sides of the ball and how OKC was in every game even with some sub par Durant play, you have to feel good about your chances.

OKC looked beaten and uninspired for a lot of this series. As Barkley pointed out, they were just running isos where Durant went Kobe-one-on-three every time down. Durant and Reggie Jackson looked like the only ones that cared at one point, and all the games were still really close. I just don't think Memphis is as good as some people think. The Spurs are going to have to play better than they did against the Warriors, but not much. Memphis simply doesn't have the firepower to steal any games if the Spurs play smart defense and take care of the boards and the paint.

Keepin' it real
05-17-2013, 01:04 AM
I was at games 3 and 4 in 2010 when the Suns swept the Spurs. Tim and company looked so washed up; I thought it was over then. So the past 3 years have been gravy.

cutewizard
05-17-2013, 01:05 AM
i loveeeeeeeeeeee meeeeeeeeeeeeeee Spursssssssssssssssssss

dylankerouac
This team will be glad to not play on Saturday, enjoy the rest and come out with fight on Sunday!

Russo21
Get Fucked. I want and expect a championship and will not be happy with anything less.

Budkin
05-17-2013, 01:07 AM
So awesome to be a fan of this team.

silverblackfan
05-17-2013, 01:08 AM
Kudos to the Spurs. I will always be a fan and think they can beat the crap out of the Grizzlies, but very happy to see another Western Conference Finals with the Spurs messing up Sterns ratings. It has been a great run by the Spurs and as a fan, I have enjoyed it every season.

Ok, now lets kick some Memphis, and eventually, Heat Ass, and get Tim his long over-due 5th ring!

mercos
05-17-2013, 01:09 AM
Honestly, I had no expectations going into this year, so its all been gravy. I didn't think the Spurs would win the championship, and had no guess as to how far they would go because it all really depends on match ups. I am happy about what the team has been able to accomplish this year, and it has been fun to watch. The Memphis series should be great.

Kori Ellis
05-17-2013, 01:11 AM
Honestly, I didn't think they'd make it through this series. They could have easily lost every game. They didn't put together very many good quarters of basketball. Parker's injury came at a horrible time. And I don't know what the Spurs training/medical staff did wrong between the last game and tonight with Tony's hyperbaric chamber/coffin treatment, but somehow he was limping more (and had less lift) this game than last (and of course, he shot like crap).

That all being said. Now... I'm finally hopeful. I think they can win the title. :lol

To get better and better as the playoffs go on, they had to face some tough games. And they did. And they won two games on the road at a very raucous arena (as we all know by that damn decibel meter).

They need to keep grinding. Parker has to get healthier. But I'm hopeful now. I wasn't hopeful before the playoffs started, or at any point in this series. But now, I think Timmy can go get #5.

NRHector
05-17-2013, 02:29 AM
Spurs are going to the finals, is time for some payback , this team is better than '11.The young guys gained some valuable experience last year and is helping in enormous in this playoffs, they are battle tested

Paulie
05-17-2013, 02:54 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/525731_327407797386952_1809848724_n.jpg

Johnny RIngo
05-17-2013, 03:37 AM
Agree and disagree. With all the injuries and flaws to the teams in the West and with how wide open it was, in addition to the regular season the Spurs had, anything other than a strong WCF showing would be sub par to me. Given, before the playoffs I agreed with you, but after with the Westbrook injury and the path to the Finals being a 1st round bye (7th seed injured Lakers), 2nd round 6th seed and WCF 5th seed, anything less than a strong showing in the WCF would be a disappointment. They have such a great shot at the finals with how things have gone that to me it's at least finals or bust.

But it has been fun. It's been nice to have some adversity and pull through. Like I said before, I found joy in the struggle. Seeing the sweep or lose Spurs of the past few years has been rough. This is more like a championship run of the past.

Agree here. As long as SA has homecourt and everybody is able to suit up, they should be expected to advance. Expectations should be lowered if they make the Finals and meet the Heat. They'd be going up against the best player in the league WITHOUT homecourt. No shame in losing to them. But the Grizzlies. At the very least, SA should be able to beat them.

HI-FI
05-17-2013, 04:04 AM
in some ways I appreciate the Spurs more now than when they were winning championships, not sure why.

props to Pop for managing minutes and developing players so well. it may not be conventional, but he's trying to make the best of our situation. It's been a weird and strange journey this season, and the story isn't over yet....:hat

siraulo23
05-17-2013, 04:12 AM
b2b top 4 team, fuck yes!

now just make the finals and thats gon be fucking awesome indeed

wildcardX
05-17-2013, 04:40 AM
I have not been able to enjoy the Spurs success over the years with other Spurs fans due to living in Hawaii. No pro team here so a lot of people are bandwagon fans that piss me off even more by trying to convince me that they were fans of that team for a long time. Seriously, I've never seen a Clippers fan here before the last couple years but people tell me how they were long time fans, irritating. THE WORST this year was when everyone jumped back on the Lakers bandwagon when Nash and Howard got signed then jumping off mid season and switching to the Heat or Clippers. My dumbass friend even said he can cheer for the Clips and the Lakers because they were the same city. I wanted to hit the bastard. Sorry to say hardly any Spurs fans here, but my most proud moment was walking into my 6th grade class with a Robinson shirt in his rookie year and then go throughout the day telling the Lakers and Bulls fans how their teams sucked(not knowing any better), and the Spurs ruled. This organization may not have as many championships but I'm damn proud of this team throughout all those years and especially this year. Maybe expectations have been reached but I think this team is going to play their best basketball of the year soon and surprise some people by the end of this years playoffs.

NRHector
05-17-2013, 04:53 AM
I have not been able to enjoy the Spurs success over the years with other Spurs fans due to living in Hawaii. No pro team here so a lot of people are bandwagon fans that piss me off even more by trying to convince me that they were fans of that team for a long time. Seriously, I've never seen a Clippers fan here before the last couple years but people tell me how they were long time fans, irritating. THE WORST this year was when everyone jumped back on the Lakers bandwagon when Nash and Howard got signed then jumping off mid season and switching to the Heat or Clippers. My dumbass friend even said he can cheer for the Clips and the Lakers because they were the same city. I wanted to hit the bastard. Sorry to say hardly any Spurs fans here, but my most proud moment was walking into my 6th grade class with a Robinson shirt in his rookie year and then go throughout the day telling the Lakers and Bulls fans how their teams sucked(not knowing any better), and the Spurs ruled. This organization may not have as many championships but I'm damn proud of this team throughout all those years and especially this year. Maybe expectations have been reached but I think this team is going to play their best basketball of the year soon and surprise some people by the end of this years playoffs.

:toast

Danny.Zhu
05-17-2013, 05:06 AM
championship-or-bust imho.

Raven
05-17-2013, 05:19 AM
it is indeed a success, but tbh with a weschimpless thunderefs, this team has to win the conference, no excuses.

thiste
05-17-2013, 05:43 AM
Been said before....but great fucking time to be a Spurs fan. Love this team, regardless of whatever happens going forward.

Believe 2013.

It's been great for about 20 years though.

lmbebo
05-17-2013, 06:43 AM
I think the title says all thats wrong with this thread...

Expectation is always championship. Happy with there achievement thus far, but I still expect them to win this series and win the championship.

exstatic
05-17-2013, 07:11 AM
F.T.G.

spurspokesman
05-17-2013, 07:27 AM
Proud spurs fan here.

MVPCues
05-17-2013, 07:32 AM
Win or lose, Champions or not, I am and will always be proud of the Spurs.

Damn straight.

TD 21
05-17-2013, 04:17 PM
:lol Typical. Who cares about years ago or even the off season? Given how this season played out and who stands between them and the Finals, short of a debilitating injury to a significant player, there is absolutely no excuse for them to not reach the Finals. I'm not letting them off the hook that easily.

Obstructed_View
05-17-2013, 04:25 PM
The Spurs are back to playing defense, they have a seven footer starting next to Duncan, who's moving well, dunking the ball and blocking shots ... and timvp is hanging from the shower rod.

Sad.

ShoogarBear
05-17-2013, 04:47 PM
I know there are a lot of championship-or-bust fans but I want to take a timeout to congratulate the Spurs for at least hitting par on this season. I said before the season and again before the playoffs that the Spurs making it to the WCF in reasonable health would be a reasonable expectation. Less than that would be a failure. More than that would be success. So right now, even if things go south, the Spurs put together another fine season.

The aging legs and the accompanying injuries made it a difficult road to travel at times -- but they're here and they have a chance.

Quitter.

mingus
05-17-2013, 04:49 PM
The defense the we played last series after adjustments and in particular in game 6 told me were finally a serious threat to go to the finals. This is no longer the pretty offensive team of the last several years. We can legitimately play the grind-it-out type of basketball you need to play to go far. Kawhi and Danny Green, both question marks after last years playoffs and spearheading that, have really taken it to a new level. In addition, so have Splitter (still getting healthy) and surprisingly, so has Cojo. My expectations are pretty high for this team. I don't know if well beat Memphis, but anything less than a 6-7 series I'd view as a disappointment.

SpurPadre
05-17-2013, 05:03 PM
I'm with those who will always be proud Spurs fans but to face a #6 seed in Rd. 2 and then the #5 seed in the WCF, we couldn't ask for a better opportunity to make the Finals no matter how better these teams have played than their seeding indicated.

MaNu4Tres
05-17-2013, 05:28 PM
Losers mentality, tbh.

I guess Duncan should have just retired then in 2009. He already met expectations and won 4 titles, 3 Final MVPs.

Love your stuff, LJ, but this may be one of your worst threads.

z0sa
05-17-2013, 06:15 PM
Expectations have not been reached. When the Russell Westbrook injury occurred, they drastically changed. Anything less than a Finals berth will be failure.

TE
05-17-2013, 06:17 PM
Expectations have not been reached. When the Russell Westbrook injury occurred, they drastically changed. Anything less than a Finals berth will be failure.

This.

GrandeDavid
05-17-2013, 06:32 PM
The Spurs are the top seed in the conference and are better than Memphis. I do not think expectations have been reached and I'm sure the entire organization would agree with that statement. Sure, if the Spurs fail to advance they shouldn't be thrown under the bus. True, it would have been a very good season., nonetheless. But it's pretty weak to prepare for failure before a series has even begun.

Spurs_Be_Beastin'
05-17-2013, 06:34 PM
Church.

benefactor
05-17-2013, 06:41 PM
:lol

You guys act like Duncan is supposed to be doing what he's doing. What he's doing at his age is unprecedented. There were all kinds of stats thrown out there during the season where no one had ever done it.

And I think you guys are overreacting a bit to what LJ said. He said it's a "reasonable" expectation...and it is...and that anything more would be "success"....which it would be. There will be homers on one side that think that the Spurs can beat Miami and doomsdayers that think the Spurs that don't have a chance against Memphis. Then there are those reasonable people in the middle...who think making the conference finals with Duncan at his age and Manu just a shell of the dominant force he used to be is very, very good. There is no losers mentality in that at all. It's an appreciation for an unexpected outcome and a cautious optimism for what could potentially be. I know that there have been injuries and there is now a chance for more but that doesn't mean that making the conference finals and not going further is a failure. All the circumstance considered...it's quite the opposite. Now losing in the previous round, that would have been failure.

TD 21
05-17-2013, 06:50 PM
You keep acting like it's '08 or '09 and you can't possible fathom how they could be where they are in '13, instead of taking the facts you have in front of you right now to decipher/determine whether not making the Finals (again, barring debilitating injury to a significant player) would be a disappointment.

With your mentality, Heat fans shouldn't be expecting another championship, because back four-five years ago, nobody suspected James and Bosh would join Wade and Grizzly fans, they shouldn't be expecting to get to the Finals, because back then nobody thought Gasol would be this good. None of that is relevant now.

baseline bum
05-17-2013, 06:50 PM
Feels good that it's 2013 and we're still talking WCF. Back in the title days I always figured the good days with this core would have been done by 2010.

benefactor
05-17-2013, 06:56 PM
What a horrible fucking take...:lol

So you are comparing Tim Duncan getting old to a team improving through trades or a player in his prime developing into a really good player? Wow.

And you keep saying giving up. No one said anything about giving up, dumbass. Quit making it what you want to make it and learn to fucking read. He said it was a reasonable expectation and anything more would be success. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that statement.

TD 21
05-17-2013, 07:07 PM
Not surprisingly, you missed the gist of the point. The point is, those were two completely unforeseen events, yet they happened and those teams are where they are today. The likelihood of them happening five years ago is irrelevant.

Everything is wrong with that statement, you fat, dumb, inbred hick. There's nothing reasonable about losing to this team and if someone would have suggested there was a few months back, damn near every single person would have criticized them. Health permitting, the only way it was reasonable for this team to lose was to an in their prime, all time great superstar. The Grizzlies not only don't have anything close to that, they don't even have one of the two best players in this series (Gasol is having a better playoffs than Duncan so far and it's not impossible he outplays him for 5-7 games, but I'm talking in general terms).

HarlemHeat37
05-17-2013, 07:14 PM
If you asked me prior to the regular season whether I'd rather play a healthy Thunder team or the Grizzlies in the WCF, I take the latter all day, tbh..

I haven't been too upset about a Spurs loss in years, tbh, I already cherish these last years of Spurs basketball, I haven't had a problem with unrealistic expectations since 2008..however, the Spurs getting a Memphis team that would be fodder in most other years, rather than the Thunder with Harden/Westbrook or even just Westbrook, alters the expectations for this team, tbh..

benefactor
05-17-2013, 07:25 PM
Not surprisingly, you missed the gist of the point. The point is, those were two completely unforeseen events, yet they happened and those teams are where they are today. The likelihood of them happening five years ago is irrelevant.

Two unforeseen events that have absolutely nothing to do with one another and are not similar in any way. But thanks for trying to make a completely ludicrous comparison trying to sound smart yet again...only to sound stupid...yet again.

MaNu4Tres
05-17-2013, 09:22 PM
First off, as soon as Harden got traded to the Rockets, the Spurs expectations (if health remained on their side) went up IMO. Secondly, before the start of the season, Pop and everyone with a brain all knew Leonard, Splitter, and Green had room to improve, which in-turn, would presumably improve the Spurs as a team for the 2012/2013 season.

Fast forward to the start of the playoffs and a lot of things have transpired in favor of the Spurs.
1) Duncan has had a resurgence ( better year than last year).
2) Three key role players have improved ( Leonard, Green, Splitter).
3) Spurs were able to develop a true back up point guard in Cory Joseph. Which is very important for Parkers overall stamina which should enhance his overall offensive efficiency.
4) Westbrook injury
5) Health

Spurs essentially have the same team as last year, except 4 key role players have improved (Their starting SG, SF and C; and their back-up PG). Parker being 85-90% right now may negate some of those areas of improvement to a degree, but Pop kept saying Parker was getting better and better --as was his confidence. This was very true up until he got kneed in the calf. Hopefully as that bruise subsides completely and Parker can get back on track to where he was prior to the knee to the calf.

I just can't understand how some people are saying expectations have been met when all of these things have played out this year.

Now if you would have asked me in 2009, "Hey Tres', would you be satisfied with a 2013 WCF Finals appearance?" I would have said Hell yeah. But things then were looking quite dim. Spurs had no youth or talent, Duncan hadn't figured out his 33-34 year old body, Manu was always injured going into the post-season. Things looked very bleak. But guess what? All of that revisited history means complete shit now.

It's a new team, a new era, and a new year with new circumstances. Expectations for this team in 2012/2013 have yet to be reached.

Mugen
05-17-2013, 09:27 PM
First off, as soon as Harden got traded to the Rockets, the Spurs expectations (if health remained on their side) went up IMO. Secondly, before the start of the season, Pop and everyone with a brain all knew Leonard, Splitter, and Green had room to improve, which in-turn, would presumably improve the Spurs as a team for the 2012/2013 season.

Fast forward to the start of the playoffs and a lot of things have transpired in favor of the Spurs.
3) Spurs were able to develop a true back up point guard in Cory Joseph. Which is very important for Parkers overall stamina which should enhance his overall offensive efficiency.
4) Westbrook injury
5) Health

Spurs essentially have the same team as last year, except 4 key role players have improved (Their starting SG, SF and C; and their back-up PG). Parker being 85-90% right now may negate some of those areas of improvement to a degree, but Pop kept saying Parker was getting better and better --as was his confidence. This was very true up until he got kneed in the calf. Hopefully as that bruise subsides completely and Parker can get back on track to where he was prior to the knee to the calf.

I just can't understand how some people are saying expectations have been met when all of these things have played out this year.

Now if you would have asked me in 2009, "Hey Tres', would you be satisfied with a 2013 WCF Finals appearance?" I would have said Hell yeah. But things then were looking quite dim. Spurs had no youth or talent, Duncan hadn't figured out his 33-34 year old body, Manu was always injured going into the post-season. Things looked very bleak. But guess what? All of that revisited history means complete shit now.

Great post.

As soon as Westbrook went down, the Spurs had no reason to not at least reach the Finals tbh.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-17-2013, 09:56 PM

3 years ago I thought we'd be going 20-62 in the 2012-13 season with Timmy, Manu and Pop retired, TP maybe somewhere else, and rebuilding in full-swing. I couldn't be happier that my hunch proved completely incorrect.

For me:
1999 was a monkey off the back after a decade of "almost..." seasons,
2003 was the icing on David's cake, finally bringing an end to the dauntless Shaq-Kobe Fakers that plagued us from 2000-2002, and the gateway to Timmy's prime
2005 was the emergence of clutch superstar Manu, Horry's last hurrah, Timmy's continued dominance, and by that point it felt like I was drunk on Spurs success
2007 was truly unexpected, a run from nowhere, and the emergence of superstar Parker

After one ring I felt blessed to be a Spurs fan, the second felt like vindication, the third was the most hard-fought, and the fourth was just ridiculous...by the time the Spurs had won 4 rings I felt like I could never ask or expect anything of a sporting team again. Never in my wildest dreams did I think the Spurs would win 4 rings. From that point on it's all been gravy.

Well done once again, Spurs, you continue to amaze and delight us all (except the bandwagoners and cliff-jumpers :lol ). :toast :smokin

Now let's go skin some Grizzlies. :ihit

ffadicted
05-17-2013, 10:05 PM

Thomas82
05-18-2013, 03:07 AM
OKC looked beaten and uninspired for a lot of this series. As Barkley pointed out, they were just running isos where Durant went Kobe-one-on-three every time down. Durant and Reggie Jackson looked like the only ones that cared at one point, and all the games were still really close. I just don't think Memphis is as good as some people think. The Spurs are going to have to play better than they did against the Warriors, but not much. Memphis simply doesn't have the firepower to steal any games if the Spurs play smart defense and take care of the boards and the paint.

Cosign!!

unforeseen
05-18-2013, 03:10 AM
Spurs playing with house (Stern) money.

rmt
05-18-2013, 04:00 AM
I think it's a 2-edged sword. With Westbrook down, expectations should be the Finals. But Spurs have not been playing well now for the past 2 months - nowhere near January form or their form leading into the playoffs last year. So considering how poorly they've played to end the season and over the past 2 series, they're lucky to be where they are. Hopefully they can play better, get back into last year's form, peak during the Finals against a Heat team that's already hit its peak (and maybe which hits a rough patch with all the pressure to repeat). That's what it'll take to be competitive vs MIA, short of a Lebron injury.

superbigtime
05-18-2013, 04:12 AM
I'm super pleased the Spurs are where they are. We have faced lower seeded teams with injuries but now we are facing a healthy team playing very well. Take nothing for granted, this is going to be a tough series. But it's finals or bust, because the big 3 are indeed reaching the end of their ride together, these opportunities are rare and they know it. My expectations have not been reached. I expect them to beat Memphis in 6 and then face Miami and give them 6 or 7 games of hell. I don't think those are unrealistic expectations at all. Very proud of this Spurs team. Splitter, Green, and Kawhi have really come along. And Cojo has found a role, he may give Conley all sorts of hell and REALLY emerge. Go Spurs!!!

benefactor
05-18-2013, 11:32 AM

4) Westbrook injury
5) Health

It's a new team, a new era, and a new year with new circumstances. Expectations for this team in 2012/2013 have yet to be reached.
There is nothing wrong with expecting more...but I still wouldn't call getting to the WCF a failure and I don't knock anyone for being glad just to be there. The Spurs weren't healthy to start the playoffs and still probably aren't all the way there. Parker said himself he was very beat up at the start and if you think back to the level Parker was playing at earlier in the season, one could easily say he's closer to 70% than 90%. Parker at that level would obliterate the Grizz are probably end the series in five. Same with Manu...he was playing outstanding earlier in the year but he just has not been the same since the hamstring injuries. His is struggling mightily when try to finish at the rim and his has made only 11 of his last 40 attempts from distance. I would tend to agree more with those who are predicting the Spurs dominating if those two were at the level they were producing at.

You are right about the role players being better, but Green is still streaky with his shooting(though he has played great defense to cancel some of that out) and Splitter is looking better(especially in the last game) but has yet to put together two full games where he hasn't gone through spells of Charmin soft play. They are about to face a much better defensive team than they played last series and will need to be more disciplined than ever in the half court. There are no guarantees about how either will respond. It's going to very much a wait and see process.

As I said initially, there's nothing wrong with a sense of accomplishment when you look at the adversity the Spurs had to overcome as they headed into the playoffs. Yes, the circumstances have changed but that doesn't change the adversity of the late season injuries/poor overall play which led to losing the top seed and uncertainty of whether the Spurs could even pull it all together enough to not get in a battle with the Lakers that could have drug out much longer than it should have. Much has happened...much has changed. I, like any other fan, am hoping for more...but I'm certainly happy they are here.

Fabbs
05-18-2013, 12:02 PM
Beating a Fakers team that was rigged into the #8 spot.
Beating Golden with injuries to Lee, Curry and Bogut.

It's not a major accomplishment. :rollin
It's reasonable the Spurs certainly should have won both series.

Capt Bringdown
05-18-2013, 12:16 PM
Gosh, it's almost like you're supposed to feel guilty for wanting another ring.

vander
05-18-2013, 12:27 PM
All or nothing, spurs haven't done anything yet this season

therealtruth
05-18-2013, 07:01 PM
I was at games 3 and 4 in 2010 when the Suns swept the Spurs. Tim and company looked so washed up; I thought it was over then. So the past 3 years have been gravy.

The Spurs have come a long way from '10. They finally ended the experiment known as San Antonio Suns by getting more defense.

Obstructed_View
05-18-2013, 07:42 PM
Gosh, it's almost like you're supposed to feel guilty for wanting another ring.

CB telling you to nut up should probably prompt a long look in the mirror, LJ.

ManuTastic
05-18-2013, 09:32 PM
I absolutely believe we can beat Memphis. Fuck moral victories. Pack the paint, make 'em shoot over the top. Fuck 'em.

tmtcsc
05-18-2013, 09:53 PM
It's Championship or bust. Aren't we past moral victories by now ? The Spurs improved from last year, have more experienced younger players and are better than the Grizzlies. I expected them to reach the Finals last year and I expect and hope they do so again. They have the talent, the hca and the motivation. This team isn't in rebuilding mode, this team was put together to go to the Finals. I expect the Spurs to beat the Grizzlies and play for a Championship. If you lose in the Finals and the better team wins, than so be it.

They haven't reached their ceiling. This team can absolutely win it all IF they keep improving. Get back to the fluid offense and unselfish play they showed for 20 straight games last year.

rascal
05-18-2013, 10:20 PM
Beating a Fakers team that was rigged into the #8 spot.
Beating Golden with injuries to Lee, Curry and Bogut.

It's not a major accomplishment. :rollin
It's reasonable the Spurs certainly should have won both series.

Spurs got lucky with two easy matchups. Luck runs out soon.

Thomas82
05-19-2013, 03:04 PM

4) Westbrook injury
5) Health

Good post!!!

tmtcsc
05-25-2013, 11:11 PM
It's Championship or bust. Aren't we past moral victories by now ? The Spurs improved from last year, have more experienced younger players and are better than the Grizzlies. I expected them to reach the Finals last year and I expect and hope they do so again. They have the talent, the hca and the motivation. This team isn't in rebuilding mode, this team was put together to go to the Finals. I expect the Spurs to beat the Grizzlies and play for a Championship. If you lose in the Finals and the better team wins, than so be it.

They haven't reached their ceiling. This team can absolutely win it all IF they keep improving. Get back to the fluid offense and unselfish play they showed for 20 straight games last year.

This.

Uriel
05-27-2013, 11:10 PM
Now this thread is appropriate, tbh. Anything else from here on in is just gravy. :toast

Robz4000
05-27-2013, 11:13 PM
NOW they have been reached.

timvp
05-27-2013, 11:14 PM
It's all gravy now, tbh.

polandprzem
05-27-2013, 11:17 PM
timvp do not be satisfied yet

tuncaboylu
05-27-2013, 11:19 PM
Skies are the limit for this team.

We're really solid, we have a good shot for 5th ring.

hommeaetage
05-27-2013, 11:21 PM
Nah, I want that ring. We might be the underdogs, but we have the tools to do it

Spursmania
05-27-2013, 11:23 PM
Yep, now it's been reached. Everything else really is icing on the cake.

thOOdee
05-27-2013, 11:25 PM
congrats to my favorite organization and to this forum. WE DID IT WE DID IT! now on to the next one

z0sa
05-27-2013, 11:26 PM
Expectations have been reached.. I guess... yet I find myself expecting a title now. :D

J.T.
05-27-2013, 11:26 PM
Fuck yo expectations clown

Four more wins

tmtcsc
05-27-2013, 11:33 PM
:pimpslap:lobt2: SMH...just stop it with that bullshit. I EXPECT THEM TO WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP. If you are happy with them getting here, then more power to you. I hope they don't feel the same way. Go buy your Western Conference Championship gear and start a thread asking for someone to convince you why the Heat or Pacers shouldn't stomp us. Damn dude. This is a great night. We have the opportunity to win #5 and you sound like Marc "We playin with house money Jackson."

Das Texan
05-27-2013, 11:37 PM
It's all gravy now, tbh.

yup. enjoying this fucking run.