PDA

View Full Version : Free Agent: Melvin Sanders

Kori Ellis
07-11-2005, 02:28 PM
He left New Jersey's summer league team in Las Vegas early (they have two more games to play) to come to San Antonio and prep for playing with the Spurs summer league team in Salt Lake.

This probably means nothing, but I just thought I'd note it.

Sanders played in the CBA this year and had a game of 54 points, 16 boards and nine assists.

Leetonidas
07-11-2005, 02:44 PM
Any info on him? What kind of player is he?

Kori Ellis
07-11-2005, 02:55 PM
6'5 swingman, 24 years old
College: Oklahoma State

I've never seen him play, so I don't know much about him.

ducks
07-11-2005, 03:05 PM
damm he is from the usa!

BadlyDrawnBoy
07-11-2005, 03:12 PM
How has he played in the summer league thus far?

Kori Ellis
07-11-2005, 03:14 PM
He hasn't done much. Averaged like 6 or 8 points I think through 3 games. But it's really hard to go by that. Some of the teams have like 17 guys on their rosters and everyone is getting sporadic playing time. Because of that, it's hard to watch summer league players unless you get to watch the games.

BuddyHolly
07-11-2005, 03:15 PM
Is it safe to say, if Melvin does well and Spurs sign him... Devin is gone.

Kori Ellis
07-11-2005, 03:18 PM
Is it safe to say, if Melvin does well and Spurs sign him... Devin is gone.

No, I wouldn't think it's safe to say that. A lot of guys play great in summer league and don't even get considered for teams. For example, Skita led last year's Las Vegas summer league in scoring (25ppg) and he sucks.

New Jersey might have told him that he didn't have a shot at making their team (I don't know why .. they have 8 roster spots open) and so he might have just wanted to get some practice time in with the Spurs summer league team. Other guys are doing that too. Ellis Myles left NJ's team to go to Minnesota today because he's playing for the TWolves team in the Minnesota League.

Solid D
07-11-2005, 06:39 PM
He was a good player at OSU. He was pretty strong, could score and rebound, but his defense was his strong suit. He was one of the top defenders in the Big 12. His Sr. year was Tony Allen's Freshman year and OSU got knocked out of the NCAAs by eventual Champion Syracuse.

He passed the defensive torch to Tony Allen.

Kori Ellis
07-12-2005, 12:07 AM
Summer league dont mean shit. Look at the Blazers' Outlaw.

This isn't about his play in summer league. He hasn't done anything in summer league. It's about that he left the NJ team early to come to San Antonio. So perhaps he has been led to believe that he has a chance to make the Spurs roster.

ducks
07-12-2005, 09:10 AM
spurs have convinced them to wait and then the spurs would decide if he is the best option

timvp
07-22-2005, 06:16 PM
"Melvin (Sanders) has played well all week. He had one bad shooting day this week. But he has shut down four guys in four games in a row. Nobody’s noticed that. Felipe wasn’t a factor today. And Rawle Marshall, who’s one of the more talented guys here, couldn’t get it going today. And Melvin was a part of that. He’s one of the toughest guys you’re ever going to meet. He’s a bulldog on defense, and sometimes he can score."

I was impressed with his defense last year in summer league. He's probably the best defender not in the NBA. The problem is he isn't very tall, so it's hard to pencil him in as a future SF stopper at only 6-foot-5.

But if you want a defender, this is the guy to get.

Solid D
09-10-2005, 05:45 PM
It was stated in another thread that Melvin Sanders had signed in Spain (actually Italy) but he was released by Siena on August 31st by mutual agreement, so that he could return to the United States. Hmmm.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=it&u=http://portalegiovani.comune.fi.it/pogio/jsp/sport_altrisport.jsp&prev=/search%3Fq%3DMelvin%2BSanders%2BSiena%26hl%3Den%26 lr%3D

2005-09-01

Melvin Sanders leaves the Montepaschi Siena

http://portalegiovani.comune.fi.it/pogio/jsp/upl_img_publishingtool/3308IMG_altrisport_siena.jpg

The Montepaschi Siena has announced to have freed Melvin Sanders . The American leaves the city of the Racing silk in order to return in the United States . Sanders had been the last purchase of the senese formation, but in the contract clause this possibility was previewed. Hour the Montepaschi will return on the market .

Solid D
09-10-2005, 05:55 PM
I was impressed with Sanders in the two summer league games I watched this summer. The game against Utah was particularly impressive. He got out and ran the wings on the break very well. He didn't get great separation on his cuts without the ball but his elevation and body got him good enough spacing on his jumpers to be able to score surprisingly well from the outside. He also played strong on the ball defensively with quick hands and good anticipation.

The Spurs can add up to two more players and they need two more Wings to have 3 full teams for training camp. Sanders would be a nice IR/NBADL player in case of injuries for the Spurs.

TheWriter
09-10-2005, 06:00 PM
Melvin Sanders > Devin Brown.

Ok, just rufflin' some feathers.

But truthfully. Get Melvin in to be Devin's taller and cheaper replacement.

Solid D
09-10-2005, 06:10 PM
Yeah, except he's not really any taller but he's got broader shoulders. He's 6'-5"

ChumpDumper
09-10-2005, 06:24 PM
The plot thickens.

See Kori, I knew he was available.:drunk

TheWriter
09-10-2005, 06:46 PM
Yeah, except he's not really any taller but he's got broader shoulders. He's 6'-5"

Devin isn't even 6'5.

exstatic
09-10-2005, 06:47 PM
He's cheaper, that's for sure. If he doesn't mind being player #14 on the roster, bring his azzz in.

timvp
09-10-2005, 07:20 PM
He's pretty decent. That's good news he got released from that Spanish team. I'd say there is a pretty good chance he ends up in training camp. He was on the New Jersey Nets' summer league team before joining the Spurs' squad and he didn't do anything.

I like his defense and he's in awesome shape. He can run all day and has some decent offensive skills. The problem is he doesn't get very high on his jumpers and he doesn't jump as high you'd think. When I've watched him play, he doesn't finish at the basket in a manner that will work in the NBA. I don't know if he has small hands but he rarely if ever dunks.

Hopefully he's worked on getting more elevation on his jumper and finishing with more authority around the basket. Defensively, the only thing that will stop him from becoming a premier defender is his height.

timvp
09-10-2005, 07:22 PM
Portland with Monty Williams as an assistant coach (Monty was the Spurs' head coach of the summer league team) is another team that might be interested.

mcdunk
09-11-2005, 02:51 PM
The Spurs will most likely add one maybe two minimum contract players during training camp. Melvin Sanders would be a good young athletic addition to the Spurs Vet swing lineup. With the unknowns of injuries Sanders would have a chance to get some good experience in the NBA. Its good to know he is still available.

JUUOT
09-11-2005, 04:16 PM
yes my hopes are still for barnes and sanders to join.

Kori Ellis
09-12-2005, 01:30 PM
The plot thickens.

See Kori, I knew he was available.:drunk

Like LJ said, it was Monty Williams who was going crazy for him. So I wonder if he'd have any inside track on him over the Spurs.

He's not the "long" 3 that everyone looks for, but he'd definitely one of the best defenders in all the project players we've discussed.

Solid D
10-19-2005, 02:28 PM
Resurrected the original thread on Melvin because....

I think he is the new 14th man. He appears to be the 2nd fastest Spur. He pays attention on D and doesn't leave his area without checking to see if someone is driving from behind. He's a good on-ball defender. He can block shots, including blocks on Artest and Granger vs. Indy. He can knock down the baseline and wing jumpers. I say he makes it into a sportcoat and dress shoes on the bench Nov. 1st. :)

Kori Ellis
10-19-2005, 02:32 PM
I like Sanders' D a lot. And I haven't seen enough production out of Ford/Graham to show they belong in the NBA yet. So you are probably right.

But who knows .. maybe Pop is saving the 14th man spot for Sprewell ;)

picnroll
10-19-2005, 02:36 PM
So you don't think Sanders would protest the dress code, huh?

mcdunk
10-19-2005, 05:12 PM
Sanders would make a nice young, athletic guard to grow in the Spurs system similar to what Devin did but for a rookie contract.

Solid D
10-19-2005, 05:48 PM
Did anyone see Sanders chase down Fred Jones on the breakaway in Indy? Manu was angling over to try to get to Jones and Sanders came racing up from the opposite end and caught Jones, got between Jones and the basket and forced a turnover (double dribble).

If Sanders were 6-7, he'd be a lock but I think he makes up for his size limitation with toughness and effort.