PDA

View Full Version : Which team has a better front court: Grizzlies or Lakers?

Uriel
05-17-2013, 01:27 AM
One of the biggest matchups to watch in the upcoming Spurs - Grizzlies series will be the battle of the frontlines. After the Duncan - Splitter combo more than held its own against the Lakers' frontline, which I had initially believed was one of the best, if not the best frontcourt in the NBA, I was optimistic that our guys would be able to overcome what is essentially a poor man's version of that in the Grizzlies' frontline.

Well, that's what I had thought prior to the playoffs, but now I'm far from sure. What do you guys think? Which team has a better frontline: the Grizzlies or the Lakers?

SanDiegoSpursFan
05-17-2013, 01:28 AM
Grizzlies

ElNono
05-17-2013, 01:29 AM
memphis

TheyCallMePro
05-17-2013, 01:34 AM
Dwight needs to go to Zach Randolph in the off-season and BEG HIM to teach him how to play in the post.

And Marc Gasol needs to teach Pau how to shoot a decent jumper.

Then maybe, MAYBE the Lakers front court would be half as good as the Grizzlies frontcourt.

ironman2886
05-17-2013, 01:34 AM
Grizzlies and it's not even close. Marc Gasol is making his jump shots consistently unlike his brother(Pau was injured), and is a play caller on defense( overrated tbh.) Howard is an athletic freak, but is very limited offensively, and can't pass out from double teams. Randolph gets position at the basket better then anybody in the league. He has nice touch around the basket and to me, Zbo is the best rebounder in the game. Zbo's jump shot was nonstop in 2011 and consistent but now he takes it when he knows he isn't going to get position in the paint or is wide open.

Poolboy5623
05-17-2013, 01:36 AM
Bigger? L.A....but Memphis is better.

Uriel
05-17-2013, 06:04 AM
It's pretty funny how some posters say "Memphis" with such conviction. Yet, when you look at the results of the poll, the number of votes between both teams is fairly evenly divided. (At the time of this posting: Memphis: 6, Los Angeles: 4)

chapnis
05-17-2013, 06:10 AM
Depends, this season, right now, Griz. But in general, Lakers.

Seventyniner
05-17-2013, 08:38 AM
When healthy, I'd take the Lakers. Right now, it's Memphis easily.

bigfan
05-17-2013, 08:44 AM
Id say the Grizz because Splitter isnt as tough as he needs to be. Oh, didnt see you were talking about the crapazz Lakers.

tesseractive
05-17-2013, 09:10 AM
It's pretty funny how some posters say "Memphis" with such conviction. Yet, when you look at the results of the poll, the number of votes between both teams is fairly evenly divided. (At the time of this posting: Memphis: 6, Los Angeles: 4)
If we're talking about Dwight from 3 years ago plus Pau from 3 years ago, that would have been an out-of-this-world post tandem. But Dwight has dropped off, Pau has dropped off, and it didn't seem like they worked that well paired together either, probably due to shitty coaching.

Right now, I'd take Memphis, and it's not that tough a call.

Keepin' it real
05-17-2013, 09:13 AM
Howard is a tremendous underachiever (and a punk). Marc Gasol is somewhat the opposite. I'll take Memphis.

EVAY
05-17-2013, 09:15 AM
Memphis has the more effective interior team.

Spur|n|Austin
05-17-2013, 09:18 AM
Healthy or not Memphis takes this one, Dwight Howard is an immature clown, and it shines when it counts, while P. Gasol is getting older. You've got to almost feel bad for Gasol, he works his ass off.

Budkin
05-17-2013, 09:24 AM

Yeah now it's 22-4

EricB
05-17-2013, 09:25 AM
Memphis and its not even close.

naico
05-17-2013, 09:25 AM
Its all about toughness...Howard and Pau vs ZBo and Gasol? Nuff Said.

racm
05-17-2013, 09:27 AM
If you asked me in 2009, I'd take Howard and Pau easily.

If you ask me now, I'd take Randolph and Marc easily.

Old School 44
05-17-2013, 09:43 AM
If everyone is healthy, I think it's a toss up. The Lakers can be slightly better, but they're poorly coached. Also, you can't use their performance in these playoffs, because the Lakers backcourt was terrible which directly impacts the front court play. Ask yourself this question, if you could switch M. Gasol/ZBo for P. Gasol/Howard would the Griz be better?

moisaenz
05-17-2013, 10:34 AM
Marc needs to tell his brother to stop being such a softie

100%duncan
05-17-2013, 10:35 AM
Prime: LA.
Now: Memphis.

BWS-1994
05-17-2013, 11:38 AM
Memphis bigs have better chemistry.

waisman
05-17-2013, 12:00 PM
Elder brother<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Younger brother

Rummpd
05-17-2013, 12:02 PM
Spurs with Duncan, Splitter and Leonard right there with any team and deeper on the bench than anyone so why this question?

Rummpd
05-17-2013, 12:03 PM
Memphis front line so over-rated. Pop and Spurs will expose come back in a week or two non believers.

elec99
05-17-2013, 12:44 PM
On paper it's LA but in reality it's the grizz by far.

wildbill2u
05-17-2013, 12:52 PM
The right question to give us a clue might be: In the playoffs, which team had the best front line---Lakers or Oklahoma.

If OKC was better than the Lakers, then we are in trouble on the front line.

Homeland Security
05-17-2013, 01:22 PM
In the first round, Matt Bonner was shutting down Dwight Howard. Aron Baynes shut him down. Some thought maybe this meant that Matt Bonner had moved past his long history of self-vaginalization in the playoffs. Then in the 2nd round he returned to form. Hopefully by now I think we understand that Dwight Howard mentally checked himself out of the playoffs before they began.

Pau Gasol was totally taken out of his game all season by the way Mike D'Antoni insisted on using him. Then, once Kobe went down, given no alternative, D'Antoni let him play inside. Gasol never got into any kind of rhythm.

And the Lakers were coached by Mike D'Antoni, who is the worst NBA coach in living memory, has no idea how to use interior players on offense if their primary game isn't facing the basket, and doesn't even try to coach defense.

Obviously Memphis is better than that.

therealtruth
05-17-2013, 08:03 PM
As long as we avoid Bonner or Blair going against ZBo we should be ok. Randolph can't shoot as easily over Duncan and Splitter.

Gino-Step
05-17-2013, 08:07 PM
Lakers have the worst front court in the NBA. All Advanced stats will tell you that. Can't shoot FT's. Can't post up. Can't shoot from perimeter, can't play pick and roll defense. Turnover prone.

Memphis is entirely different. Their bigs can shoot and pass and move. Dwight can jump. He is not nimble. Splitter is a better NBA winning athlete than Dwight. Don't compare them cause they are hyped as having great front courts. The Lakers' is the worst in the league. Front court in the media's definition means having 2 huge dudes. The 'better' your front court, the worse your team cause an elite team in today's NBA should have little difference between front court and back court. 2 Ginobili's + 3 Kawhi Leonards is the ideal team. Not this "Big Man" feed the post type sht.