PDA

View Full Version : Who here likes buttermilk

I. Hustle
05-17-2013, 01:13 PM
I personally don't but that's just me. I think the older people tend to like it more than anyone else. Does it have a buttery taste to it? Why is it called that?

Aunt Jemima
05-17-2013, 02:58 PM
It makes for some mighty fine pancakes!

CosmicCowboy
05-17-2013, 03:27 PM
I don't like it straight but it's good on cornbread.

I. Hustle
05-17-2013, 03:30 PM
On cornbread? Like you pour it right on there? Just let it soak in or something? Please 'splain because I don't get it. Sweet cornbread or the one I don't care for?

CosmicCowboy
05-17-2013, 03:45 PM
southern cornbread, not yankee corn bread. Break it into the glass and let it soak up. It's old school. Learned it from my grandparents.

Viva Las Espuelas
05-17-2013, 03:51 PM
buttermilk is great. it has a slight buttery taste. i put it in mashed potatoes and works in making it creamy and buttery flavored. it's good for pancakes, biscuits and marinating chicken. oh, and for marinating onions for onion rings. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

ohmwrecker
05-17-2013, 03:55 PM
I cook with it. I don't drink it straight. My grandfather drank it. Put pepper in it. Never understood that.

I. Hustle
05-17-2013, 03:56 PM
Ok, so people don't just chug it then? It's more for cooking, baking and dippin' yo cohnbread.

ohmwrecker
05-17-2013, 03:58 PM
If your going to make fried chicken, soak it in buttermilk overnight. Fuckin' A!

I. Hustle
05-17-2013, 04:02 PM
I cook with it. I don't drink it straight. My grandfather drank it. Put pepper in it. Never understood that.

Put pepper in it and drank it? WTF? I'm gonna try it.

I. Hustle
05-17-2013, 04:05 PM
If your going to make fried chicken, soak it in buttermilk overnight. Fuckin' A!

Wife does all the cooking so I am not being sarcastic but really asking. Does the chicken really soak it up? Is that what makes it so juicy and not dry? I need to know. I might try my hand at fried chicken one day.

If you got a kick ass recipe I'll even try it this weekend.

Trill Clinton
05-17-2013, 04:15 PM
buttermilk is great. it has a slight buttery taste.

http://i43.tinypic.com/24entdu.png

CosmicCowboy
05-17-2013, 04:25 PM
Wife does all the cooking so I am not being sarcastic but really asking. Does the chicken really soak it up? Is that what makes it so juicy and not dry? I need to know. I might try my hand at fried chicken one day.

I wouldn't really describe the taste as buttery...it's more acidic (tart) with an interesting mouth feel.

CosmicCowboy
05-17-2013, 04:27 PM
Buttermilk pie

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup biscuit mix (recommended: Bisquick)
1/3 cup (5 1/3 tablespoons) butter, melted
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3 eggs
Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9-inch pie pan.

Put all ingredients in a bowl and blend for 1 minute with a handheld electric mixer. Pour mixture into prepared pie pan. (Strore bought graham cracker crust is fine) Bake for about 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes.

CosmicCowboy
05-17-2013, 04:42 PM

CosmicCowboy fried chicken

I don't think the buttermilk chicken is all that. If you want juicy, delicious fried chicken with an amazing flaky crust use my recipe. brine chicken in salt water for about 4 hours, then rinse and pat dry. Use a wash of scrambled egg with Tapatillo hot sauce added until the wash is dark pink. dip the chicken in the wash, then dip once in SELF RISING flour with salt and pepper added. and right into the hot oil (about 3/4" in a cast iron pan or in a deep fryer if you have one.. don't crowd the pieces. maybe 4 pieces in a 12" cast iron skillet till golden brown. Repeat until done putting cooked chicken on a rack to drain.

mrsmaalox
05-17-2013, 04:50 PM
Mmmm I've had buttermilk pie before. Its so delicious but I almost passed out from the sweetness.

ididnotnothat
05-17-2013, 04:57 PM

I don't think the buttermilk chicken is all that. If you want juicy, delicious fried chicken with an amazing flaky crust use my recipe. brine chicken in salt water for about 4 hours, then rinse and pat dry. Use a wash of scrambled egg with Tapatillo hot sauce added until the wash is dark pink. dip the chicken in the wash, then dip once in SELF RISING flour with salt and pepper added. and right into the hot oil (about 3/4" in a cast iron pan or in a deep fryer if you have one.. don't crowd the pieces. maybe 4 pieces in a 12" cast iron skillet till golden brown. Repeat until done putting cooked chicken on a rack to drain.

BS. Buttermilk chicken is way better than any brine. I remember Bobby Flay went up against a lady who did buttermilk and he used a brine and got his ass smoked. A scrambled egg wash has to have some buttermilk or you don't know fried chicken. And least not southern fried chicken.

DJR210
05-17-2013, 05:27 PM
Buttermilk is the key to that perfect house recipe ranch that you get at the restaurant. Other than that, I use it to dip my sirloin in for CFS.

ohmwrecker
05-17-2013, 05:58 PM
BS. Buttermilk chicken is way better than any brine. I remember Bobby Flay went up against a lady who did buttermilk and he used a brine and got his ass smoked. A scrambled egg wash has to have some buttermilk or you don't know fried chicken. And least not southern fried chicken.

Brine is better for a larger bird, like a turkey, but buttermilk makes an awesome fried chicken. Throw it all in a garbage bag, getting as much air out as possible and refrigerate overnight. Take it right out of the bag and throw it in your flour mix. Totally easy. Totally delicious. Not at all tart and acidic. I have no idea what Cosmic Cowboy is talking about.

jeebus
05-17-2013, 08:13 PM

:lol

Viva Las Espuelas
05-18-2013, 12:56 AM
I personally don't but that's just me. I think the older people tend to like it more than anyone else. Does it have a buttery taste to it? Why is it called that?

dumbshit

Viva Las Espuelas
05-18-2013, 01:06 AM

you can get juicy chicken with buttermilk. and it's delicious. oh and brine doesn't make a flaky crust. also, proper brine is salt and sugar. and self rising flour is really for baked goods that take some time to cook to "rise". why would you want risen crust? regular flour is plenty sufficient. i guess if it works for you. the secret to a good deep fry is peanut oil and keeping the temp above 350.

Viva Las Espuelas
05-18-2013, 01:08 AM
Buttermilk is the key to that perfect house recipe ranch that you get at the restaurant. Other than that, I use it to dip my sirloin in for CFS.
yup. i was slightly grossed out when i realized ranch is pretty much watery mayonnaise where the water is buttermilk. ranch is so easy to make at home and you know what's in it.

Trill Clinton
05-18-2013, 11:47 AM
dumbshit

just take ya L and move on fam

http://i937.photobucket.com/albums/ad219/one_man_show_2010/L.gif (http://s937.photobucket.com/user/one_man_show_2010/media/L.gif.html)

The Reckoning
05-18-2013, 12:07 PM
i heard harlemheat enjoys churning it

DJR210
05-18-2013, 12:49 PM
yup. i was slightly grossed out when i realized ranch is pretty much watery mayonnaise where the water is buttermilk. ranch is so easy to make at home and you know what's in it.

Yeah, Ranch is pretty horrible for you. 80% mayo, 15% Buttermilk, 5% seasonings. Mayo is whipped oil and eggs so it's definitely not something you should dip everything in, I just cant stop.