PDA

View Full Version : Artest playing on Pacers summer league team

Kori Ellis
07-11-2005, 03:29 PM
Artest vows to put team ahead of temper
Associated Press

INDIANAPOLIS -- Ron Artest came to the Indiana Pacers' rookie/free agent camp Monday pledging to be a smarter player so his team can win an NBA championship.

The star forward spoke to the Indianapolis media for the first time since a November 19 fight in Detroit that resulted in a nearly season-long suspension. Artest went into the stands and attacked a fan after he was hit with a cup of beer.

Artest said he wants to cut down on technical fouls and remain in control to help the team. He called his tendency to draw technicals "playing against your team."

"Probably next year, you'll see an older guy, an older player," Artest said, describing himself.

Artest, a former All-Star and NBA Defensive Player of the Year, was having his best statistical season before the suspension.

Artest said it was his decision to join the team for the camp and for the Minnesota Summer League starting Friday.

Artest said he was proud of the way the team played in his absence. The Pacers finished 44-38 and reached the second round of the Eastern Conference playoffs.

"We were a top-eight team," he said. "We finished in the top eight after all that happened to us. The Pacers showed a lot of heart."

Artest also said he was looking forward to returning to Detroit for his first game there since the brawl.

"It's going to be a lot of excitement," he said. "Sometimes, you go to away games and you've got to find a way to get your energy up. I'm sure my energy will be up."

spurschick
07-11-2005, 03:31 PM
Artest also said he was looking forward to returning to Detroit for his first game there since the brawl.

"It's going to be a lot of excitement," he said. "Sometimes, you go to away games and you've got to find a way to get your energy up. I'm sure my energy will be up."

:lol Why does this just not sound promising to me?

Chris
07-11-2005, 03:34 PM
Artest screwed Reggie.

1Parker1
07-11-2005, 03:36 PM
Artest screwed Reggie big time. Reggie was going to retire the year before and they convinced him to stay one more year because with the Jackson addition, that was the Pacers best chance to win.

SilverPlayer
07-11-2005, 07:39 PM
Saying artest screwed Reggie kind of discounts the fact that the Spurs would have beaten the crap out of a full and healthy Pacers team had they advanced.

ObiwanGinobili
07-11-2005, 07:56 PM
Artest said it was his decision to join the team for the camp and for the Minnesota Summer League starting Friday.

*coughbullshitbullshitcough*

ducks
07-11-2005, 08:02 PM
Sounds Like The Pacers Are Saying You Owe Us That So You Can Get Traded

BadlyDrawnBoy
07-11-2005, 08:10 PM
The Pacers will make the Eastern Conference Finals next year.

Nope. Reggie was the glue that held that team together. He was the heart of that team, of the Pacers.

They'll be luckly to advance to the ECSF.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-11-2005, 08:10 PM
wow he is going to own all in the summer leagues

i like how that article says 'to win a championship'

well if that was his goal why doesnt he come over to san antonio cuz pacers dont have a chance against us :)

Johnny Tightlips
07-11-2005, 08:30 PM

san antonio spurs
07-11-2005, 11:21 PM
Tinsley
SJack
Artest (rejuvinated)
O'Neal
Foster

Danny Granger and Fred Jones as well as others.....

I THINK THIS TEAM will be solid. look how good they were before the brawl...and i think that they would have beat detroit with artest.
nobody could've beat the pistons, except the spurs, and u know how hard it was
________
Club Royal Condominium Pattaya (http://pattayaluxurycondos.com)

DDS4
07-12-2005, 12:42 AM
Spoken like a crackhead desperate for another hit....

Sense
07-12-2005, 01:10 AM
nobody could've beat the pistons, except the spurs, and u know how hard it was

Teams play differently against each other...

We lose bad teams at times... that doesn't make us bad..

But let the Detroit fans speak, the truth is... the Pacers give the detroit pistons trouble....

there's no doubt about that.

The pacers looked like an elite team in 2004...THE elite team..

1Parker1
07-12-2005, 08:01 AM
Saying artest screwed Reggie kind of discounts the fact that the Spurs would have beaten the crap out of a full and healthy Pacers team had they advanced.

How does it discount the Spurs? All it's saying is that with Artest, Pacers could have advanced a lot farther than they did in the playoffs this past season and could have been considered serious contenders and had just as good a shot as anyone--including the Spurs-- to win it all.

Supergirl
07-12-2005, 09:01 AM
Anyone know if Artest got any therapy for his anger management problem? He should have been mandated before being allowed to return...

Chris
07-12-2005, 04:23 PM
How does it discount the Spurs? All it's saying is that with Artest, Pacers could have advanced a lot farther than they did in the playoffs this past season and could have been considered serious contenders and had just as good a shot as anyone--including the Spurs-- to win it all.

Exactly.

Joesteds
07-12-2005, 04:40 PM
Pacers will be a lot better next year. Reggie was great but still never played defense. If they can fill his void as at least being a threat from the 3 then they will be ok. I like their bench of Granger, Bender, Fred Jones, James Jones. They really need a backup point or another point to split time with Tinsley. Something about a fat pg just doesnt do it for me.

Chris
07-12-2005, 04:44 PM
You can't fill the void of one of the clutchest players of all time. Pacers will be good next season but I don't see them getting past the first round - and that's if they make it at all.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-12-2005, 05:59 PM
Where's Poohp? This thread has his name smeared all over it.

boutons
07-12-2005, 06:05 PM
"don't see them getting past the first round"

in the EC? If Pacers stay healthy and sane and unsuspended, Rick will get the Pacers past the first round.

Chris
07-12-2005, 07:12 PM
It's possible but not likely. A good coach still doesn't make up for no Reggie, and as stated before Reggie was the core and heart of that team.