PDA

View Full Version : Can Danny Green shut down Wade the way he did Curry?

Dizzle
05-18-2013, 05:34 AM
When did Danny Green become a great defender? I love what Ive been seeing this last half of the season, especially the post season.

I have a feeling if we make it to the Finals, Danny Green can shutdown Wade while Kawhi holds Lebron. :wow

Paulie
05-18-2013, 05:40 AM
If he's focused and determined enough, yes. If he takes it on as his mission the way Bruce's mindset was.

hooperflash
05-18-2013, 05:43 AM
I really hope Pop puts him on Conley, it'll be great to see Verde limit what he does.

TE
05-18-2013, 05:45 AM
:lol no ones shutting down a healthy lebron op. Maybe a 80-85% Wade can be bothered by Verde, but it doesn't matter if there's a healthy lebron ######beasting on us like he does other teams

kjhip1
05-18-2013, 05:52 AM
Well I would caution talking about matchups seeing as though we havent even played game one of the Western Conference Finals, however I will say as a hypothetical question I agree Danny could stay with "injured" D. Wade. TBH, D Wade has not at all looked like himslef this entire year and probably wont until he gets a full offseason of rest. Green showed that he can be quick as Curry tried to go around an endless number of backscreens on the baseline, however the Miami offense is better structured to get open shots for thier guys than the Warriors. I think Wade could average 10-15 points and Miami would still have no problem beating us. Having said that, the only way the Spurs can take Miami to 6-7 games and have a chance of winning is if our perimiter shots are going down and if TP can get in the lane. I would think the defensive plan would be to get the ball out of Lebron's hands as quickly as possible and make everyone else beat you, which is probably going to be impossible to do. Miami seems to thrive in the last 5 minutes of a game. Our execution has to be flawless, physical and we have to finish out the quarters strong. Hopefully, this next series against the Grizzlies will show how physical our team can be.

Raven
05-18-2013, 05:53 AM
i've been saying all year that his D is heavily underrated, he has both leaping ability, wingspan and quickness he struggled with team D though. Shutting down Wade? Let him focus on Bayless and Allen for now.

Mal
05-18-2013, 06:02 AM
Will Wade play for Memphi Grizzlies on Sunday ?

Venti Quattro
05-18-2013, 06:38 AM

:lol

ddjeffries
05-18-2013, 06:38 AM
Ya why is this even a topic? Let's worry about Memphis.

ploto
05-18-2013, 08:50 AM
:rollin

SenorSpur
05-18-2013, 09:04 AM
Let's not get too presumptuous. The Spurs MUST get past the Grizzlies first before we can have this conversation.

tlongII
05-18-2013, 09:08 AM
Memphis in 5.

Chinook
05-18-2013, 10:10 AM
I don't get why people don't think we should talk about a Heat match-up. The teams don't care what fans think. It's not like Green is going to read this thread and go, "Well, I guess I don't have to try against Memphis."

Newsflash, everyone: It doesn't matter how cautious of a fan you are; it doesn't matter how experienced of a fan you are. Your handle color doesn't matter; your post count doesn't matter. The team is going to win or lose based on factors completely separate from your viewpoints or analysis. This is a message board, where fans can talk sports even though they know it doesn't make a difference to the outcome of games. There's no reason to try to act like any of us are on the team.

With that said, I don't think Green should guard Wade. Put Kawhi on Wade and Green on James. Since James is going to be doubled anyway, the Spurs may as well use Leonard's length to hopefully take Wade out of the game completely while Duncan or Splitter works on Bosh and the rest of the team works on James. Green will be on Wade if James and Leonard are not on the floor. Besides that, he shouldn't really bother.

I'm worried about foul trouble regardless. Curry and Thompson are jump-shooters, so they don't draw fouls very often. James and Wade are more-complete players. They get a lot more foul calls, which will hamper the effectiveness of whoever draws their assignments.

SpurYank
05-18-2013, 10:12 AM
Wade? Wade? WTF! When did Wade join the Grizzlies?

apalisoc_9
05-18-2013, 10:20 AM
I don't get why people don't think we should talk about a Heat match-up. The teams don't care what fans think. It's not like Green is going to read this thread and go, "Well, I guess I don't have to try against Memphis."

Newsflash, everyone: It doesn't matter how cautious of a fan you are; it doesn't matter how experienced of a fan you are. Your handle color doesn't matter; your post count doesn't matter. The team is going to win or lose based on factors completely separate from your viewpoints or analysis. This is a message board, where fans can talk sports even though they know it doesn't make a difference to the outcome of games. There's no reason to try to act like any of us are on the team.

With that said, I don't think Green should guard Wade. Put Kawhi on Wade and Green on James. Since James is going to be doubled anyway, the Spurs may as well use Leonard's length to hopefully take Wade out of the game completely while Duncan or Splitter works on Bosh and the rest of the team works on James. Green will be on Wade if James and Leonard are not on the floor. Besides that, he shouldn't really bother.

I'm worried about foul trouble regardless. Curry and Thompson are jump-shooters, so they don't draw fouls very often. James and Wade are more-complete players. They get a lot more foul calls, which will hamper the effectiveness of whoever draws their assignments.

I have to disagree with this. Leonard is the best defender in the team IMO but he i've seen him struggle with crafty pick and roll players. Lebron's going to get his, but if you let wade go, the spurs are done.

Chinook
05-18-2013, 10:26 AM
I have to disagree with this. Leonard is the best defender in the team IMO but he i've seen him struggle with crafty pick and roll players. Lebron's going to get his, but if you let wade go, the spurs are done.

To me, if Leonard is the best defender, he shouldn't be wasted on a player who's going to "get his" anyway. Kawhi should have the quickness to stay with Wade, and his size and length should help him get recover on Wade. Wade's slowed down because of injury, which should make it easier to stay with him. But he's still a good post player who can elevate well enough to get his shot off over smaller defenders. Green is taller than Wade, but Wade's athleticism makes him play much bigger than he is.

apalisoc_9
05-18-2013, 10:59 AM
To me, if Leonard is the best defender, he shouldn't be wasted on a player who's going to "get his" anyway. Kawhi should have the quickness to stay with Wade, and his size and length should help him get recover on Wade. Wade's slowed down because of injury, which should make it easier to stay with him. But he's still a good post player who can elevate well enough to get his shot off over smaller defenders. Green is taller than Wade, but Wade's athleticism makes him play much bigger than he is.

If you can frustrate lebron ( Game 1 against Bulls), regardless if he's getting his, it kills the Miami system. Lebron is the most versatile player i've ever seen play the game, he scores, he passes, he creates plays. I have no doubt he will get the first, but defending him well enough to stop the second and third is going to be key. so yeah, he's going to get his scoring wise, but i think leonard is more than capable of stopping 2 and 3.

Watching him stay at his man ( Thomposon) and grab defensive boards at the same time shows how much ground Leonard makes in the defensive end. He's probably not as good as leborn, Allen or battier at defending one on one's and stoping an elite scorer from scoring, but i think he's as good if not better at occpiing space in the defensive end. that should be enough.

spurraider21
05-18-2013, 11:55 AM
Lets worry about Memphis before thinkin ahead to the Finals. Who knows, maybe the Pacers can pull an upset.

:rollin

Budkin
05-18-2013, 01:26 PM
:lol premature ejaculation thread

Sean Cagney
05-18-2013, 01:39 PM
Ya why is this even a topic? Let's worry about Memphis.

YEP, Spurs fans looking wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy ahead again.

Whisky Dog
05-18-2013, 01:43 PM
Let's not get too presumptuous. The Spurs MUST get past the Grizzlies first before we can have this conversation.

Why? Everyone here is just a fan and has absolutely no bearing on who wins this series. Fans can look ahead all they want and talk about whatever scenario they want, it's not like it has any effect on te actual players and coaches.

This acting like we have some responsibility to just "focus one game at a time" as a fan is really absurd.

apalisoc_9
05-18-2013, 01:53 PM
Why? Everyone here is just a fan and has absolutely no bearing on who wins this series. Fans can look ahead all they want and talk about whatever scenario they want, it's not like it has any effect on te actual players and coaches.

This acting like we have some responsibility to just "focus one game at a time" as a fan is really absurd.
:lol

It's a message board guys. Have fun. Talk about spurs basketball future-presnet-past..It's not going to affect the team :lol

Kidd K
05-18-2013, 01:54 PM
I don't think he can shut down Wade or Conley the way he did Curry. Those guys are more slashers instead of shooters. Green was able to contain Curry because Curry had trouble getting past him. Wade will not have nearly as much trouble (whistles will handcuff Green against him), and Conley will still be able to put up somewhat decent numbers unless Green can somehow lull him into taking contested jumpers for most of his offense like he did with Curry.

spursince#99
05-18-2013, 02:09 PM
Memphis in 5.

dude you are so annoying

DapDaGenius
05-18-2013, 02:37 PM
Why are we worried about Wade right now?

Anyways, maybe. If Danny ever shut down Wade, I would be surprised if he had a decent game offensively.

DapDaGenius
05-18-2013, 02:39 PM
Memphis in 5.

Memphis in 4.

Also, Lillard > Parker + CoJo + Jarrett Jack after he got his power-up kiss from Lil Wayne.

TheyCallMePro
05-18-2013, 03:09 PM
I cant wait for Miami. Green can certainly shut down Wade. But they'll no doubt blame it on Wade's knee injury just like they did with Curry's ankle. No one can stop Lebron, but Kawhi can do a really good job on him. Mainly with Miami you just have to guard their shooters on the outside. Playing GSW prepared us for that, and playing Memphis will test our toughness and get us prepared for Lebron and Wade inside. I don't think it's at all premature to start talking about matching up with Miami. Were not losing to Memphis. Were the far superior team.

SenorSpur
05-18-2013, 03:15 PM

All that is true, but if the Spurs don't get past the Grizzlies, then it's all a moot point. Duh!

Legacy
05-19-2013, 02:08 AM
:lol premature ejaculation thread

:lmao Nothing more, nothing less.

hater
05-19-2013, 02:18 AM
Self immolate yourself OP

Boomersgold
05-19-2013, 02:55 AM
like he did a hobbled Curry, who rolled his left ankle again after rolling it in the first round against Denver, and whose right ankle was already weakened due to having multiple surgeries on it in the offseason? Green's defense on Curry is much overrated, tbh.

lefty
05-19-2013, 03:01 AM
When did Danny Green become a great defender? I love what Ive been seeing this last half of the season, especially the post season.

I have a feeling if we make it to the Finals, Danny Green can shutdown Wade while Kawhi holds Lebron. :wow
http://www.godlikeproductions.com/sm/custom/m/a/kmdlnpct.jpeg

Spur|n|Austin
05-19-2013, 03:04 AM
Well I would caution talking about matchups seeing as though we havent even played game one of the Western Conference Finals, however I will say as a hypothetical question I agree Danny could stay with "injured" D. Wade. TBH, D Wade has not at all looked like himslef this entire year and probably wont until he gets a full offseason of rest. Green showed that he can be quick as Curry tried to go around an endless number of backscreens on the baseline, however the Miami offense is better structured to get open shots for thier guys than the Warriors. I think Wade could average 10-15 points and Miami would still have no problem beating us. Having said that, the only way the Spurs can take Miami to 6-7 games and have a chance of winning is if our perimiter shots are going down and if TP can get in the lane. I would think the defensive plan would be to get the ball out of Lebron's hands as quickly as possible and make everyone else beat you, which is probably going to be impossible to do. Miami seems to thrive in the last 5 minutes of a game. Our execution has to be flawless, physical and we have to finish out the quarters strong. Hopefully, this next series against the Grizzlies will show how physical our team can be.

good read, TBH

Hoops Czar
05-19-2013, 03:13 AM
Green is not a great defender and the only way he shuts down Wade is if he's hobbling around on two bad ankles. Only Spurstalk would think Curry's performance was due to Green's defense.