PDA

View Full Version : dui level could be .05 soon

InRareForm
05-18-2013, 01:01 PM
http://m.nbcnews.com/business/restaurants-fear-tough-drunk-driving-law-will-be-buzzkill-light-1C9942370

InRareForm
05-18-2013, 01:02 PM
Lol at being.over.the level with one.beer

boutons_deux
05-18-2013, 01:17 PM
Most of Europe is 0.05.

BigAlcohol profits trump human lives.

Don't worry, BigAlcohol has $100Ms to buy off legislators, just like BigAlcohol spends against mj legalization.

InRareForm
05-18-2013, 01:47 PM
Are the Europe penalties ~ as US?

TheProfessor
05-18-2013, 09:39 PM
It wouldn't be soon. It took a couple of decades for the states to go to .08.

Technically, most states already have laws that allow you to be intoxicated even if below .08. In Texas, intoxication is defined as being over .08 or losing the normal use of your mental or physical faculties.

Wild Cobra
05-18-2013, 10:21 PM
I don't see how it will reduce drunk driving. People will either be responsible, or not.

scott
05-19-2013, 07:39 PM
MADD doesn't even support this

DUNCANownsKOBE
05-19-2013, 07:49 PM
Are the Europe penalties ~ as US?

DUI penalties in Europe are harsher than DUI penalties in the US while their drinking age restrictions are basically non-existent, which is how it should be.

boutons_deux
05-19-2013, 08:29 PM
I remember evenings in Holland and Germany with field service techs who would taxi to/from home and the restaurant so they could drink and not risk 1 year suspended license, first offense, or be driven by designated driver.

Weak penalties like with the TBTF handslaps are not dissuasive.

.05 and severe first offense like suspended license would very probably put enough fear into people to reduce DUI manslaughter.

What have we got to lose? We could gain several 1000s of lives saved/year and $Bs in medical bills.

CosmicCowboy
05-19-2013, 09:14 PM
This is nothing but a revenue grab. It shouldn't be illegal for me to go to Scotts and drink a great porter or two and drive home. Thats not even close to an incapacitating buzz.

boutons_deux
05-19-2013, 09:52 PM
Typical American asshole Rugged Individual, all freedom, no responsibility.

Jacob1983
05-20-2013, 02:11 AM
People that bitch about this shit are lazy arrogant pieces of shit in my opinion. They think that they are invincible to not getting drunk so they will refuse to call a cab or have someone come pick them up. Why can't people do that shit? Are you that damn lazy, selfish, and arrogant that you can't swallow some of your pride and get someone that is sober and responsible to drive you home? I'm glad I don't drink. Don't have to deal with DUIs.

baseline bum
05-20-2013, 02:13 AM
I really hate this idea. I love being able to go out to eat and get food for great prices. And then get a Coke/water/agua fresca so all the margarita/beer/wine/mixed drink drinkers can essentially subsidize my meal.

On top of that the drivers I'm worried about are the gangsters and trailer-trash pounding 30 packs of Budweiser; not someone who wants that second beer.

Jacob1983
05-20-2013, 02:31 AM
If you drink a beer, don't drive. Be a man up and accept defeat and don't drive.

Juggity
05-20-2013, 02:38 AM
If you drink a beer, don't drive. Be a man up and accept defeat and don't drive.

I have to agree with this. It's irresponsible to risk the lives of others based on any amount of incapacitation, however slight.

Jacob1983
05-20-2013, 02:45 AM
I just think America is a hypocrite and somewhat of a joke when it comes to how we view tobacco and alcohol. Alcohol consumption is way more accepted and encouraged than smoking is. Don't give me any of this shit about smoking gives you cancer or smoking kills bullshit. You don't die if you smoke one cigarette. Drinking is different. You can die and/or kill other people by only having one drink. You can also get alcohol poisoning. Yes, smoking may cause cancer for some people but that's in the long haul. Drinking can kill you right away while smoking will kill you in the long haul. I also think it's funny how people that don't drink are looked down upon like as if there is something wrong with them.

baseline bum
05-20-2013, 02:54 AM
I just think America is a hypocrite and somewhat of a joke when it comes to how we view tobacco and alcohol. Alcohol consumption is way more accepted and encouraged than smoking is. Don't give me any of this shit about smoking gives you cancer or smoking kills bullshit. You don't die if you smoke one cigarette. Drinking is different. You can die and/or kill other people by only having one drink. You can also get alcohol poisoning. Yes, smoking may cause cancer for some people but that's in the long haul. Drinking can kill you right away while smoking will kill you in the long haul. I also think it's funny how people that don't drink are looked down upon like as if there is something wrong with them.

If the guy at the table next to me is drinking I'm not also consuming his drink.

Jacob1983
05-20-2013, 03:15 AM
What if that guy crashes into you on the highway? Thank you. I'm not an expert on anything but has a human being ever actually died from second hand smoke?

baseline bum
05-20-2013, 03:28 AM
What if you were a child molester, WC Jr?

DUNCANownsKOBE
05-20-2013, 08:49 AM
So I guess Jacob is a smoker

:lol people who whine about being poor while they blow money on cigarettes

boutons_deux
05-20-2013, 09:02 AM
has a human being ever actually died from second hand smoke?

Secondhand Smoke Kills 42,000 Nonsmokers a Year in US

http://www.livescience.com/23562-secondhand-smoke-kills-nonsmokders.html

CosmicCowboy
05-20-2013, 09:10 AM
:lol @ faggots that get impaired on two beers.

Sanctimonious little bitches.

TDMVPDPOY
05-20-2013, 09:28 AM
lol u clowns complaining about 0.05? we have that down here since t he dawn of time

would be sweet if they increase drinking age to 21 like USA...instead they fkn raise taxes on drinks...govt revenue raiser :(:(

DUNCANownsKOBE
05-20-2013, 10:12 AM
:lol @ faggots that get impaired on two beers.

Sanctimonious little bitches.

Yeah unfortunately DUI laws have to be made for the lowest common denominator :lol

I agree with you completely on the revenue grabbing bullshit. The problem with DUI laws in this country is that they're designed to collect money and not save lives. People who get an extreme DUI driving hammered who actually are a real threat can plead it down to a regular DUI and basically pay their way out of any jail time/suspended license.

The biggest issue I have with the laws, at least in Arizona, is how you can get a DUI even if you were driving fine. The checkpoints where you get breathalyzed regardless of how you were driving are completely unconstitutional, as is a cop being able to arrest someone on suspicion of a DUI after originally pulling him over for expired tags or a broken tail light.

TeyshaBlue
05-20-2013, 10:18 AM
I was arrested for DUI back in the early 90's. The kicker was I hadn't had a thing to drink in two days. I was, however, exhausted having just finished a gig 90 miles from my home and then driving home at 3 a.m. I pulled over on the side of I-20 in Sweetwater, Tx to take a quick nap so I wouldn't kill anybody. 2 hours later I was hauled out of my car and thrown in the drunk tank.
Fortunately, the drummer for the band I was playing in was a Sheriff's Deputy in Sweetwater. He nearly broke the nose of the arresting officer when he found out and had my ass released from jail. Case dismissed.

They still tried to charge me impound fees. lol

ErnestLynch
05-22-2013, 11:03 AM
Not at my house.

mouse
05-22-2013, 11:57 AM
http://i1.wp.com/www.funnywallphotos.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/dui-checkpoints.jpg

LnGrrrR
05-22-2013, 12:15 PM
I don't see how it will reduce drunk driving. People will either be responsible, or not.

They've done a few studies to show that it would reduce accidents actually. I'm guessing it's going to reduce the number of accidents caused by those who are pulled over and blow a .5 to .799999, for one thing.

Cane
05-22-2013, 02:05 PM
If you can't text and drive, or drive without a seatbelt, then the dui level should be lower tbh. By the way don't try and take apart that logic

The worst drinkers are the ones that act like they're auditioning for a comedy role. Takes just 1-2 sips and they become tipsy college kids all over again.

mercos
05-22-2013, 02:55 PM
Hopefully the DUI problem is about to vanish altogether. Self driving cars FTW.

Jacob1983
05-23-2013, 12:05 AM
Actually, I don't smoke, don't drink, and don't do drugs either. The only reason why I think there should be tough laws on drinking and driving is because my uncle was killed in a drunk driving wreck. Thank you. It's probably the main reason why I don't drink at all.

FuzzyLumpkins
05-23-2013, 02:16 AM
People grandstanding because it inconvenience aside, the merit of such action is easily quantified. Drunk driving obviously creates an irresponsible risk to other's person and property. It's not about the number of drinks, its about BAC. Does .5 incur an unreasonable amount of impairment?

boutons_deux
05-23-2013, 05:29 AM
a chart with progessive effects of increasing BAC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_alcohol_content

Sportcamper
05-23-2013, 09:08 AM
People grandstanding because it inconvenience aside, the merit of such action is easily quantified. Drunk driving obviously creates an irresponsible risk to other's person and property. It's not about the number of drinks, its about BAC. Does .5 incur an unreasonable amount of impairment?

Come on Fuzzy...You can hug Lindsy Lohan & blow a .05

CosmicCowboy
05-23-2013, 09:38 AM

:lmao

ploto
05-23-2013, 10:44 AM
Pretty simple. If you plan to drink, do not drive there. If you drive there, do not drink.

boutons_deux
05-23-2013, 11:30 AM
Pretty simple. If you plan to drink, do not drive there. If you drive there, do not drink.

whoa there! patriots, tea baggers, Rugged Individualists, sovereign (ex)citizens demand 100% FREEDOM! and no responsibility to anything or anybody. "I'a a Real Man. I can hold my liquor and do anything with 0.15 BAC"

TeyshaBlue
05-23-2013, 12:01 PM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y64/teyshablue/DaveBowman.jpg (http://s3.photobucket.com/user/teyshablue/media/DaveBowman.jpg.html)

boutons_deux
05-23-2013, 12:08 PM
TB :lol Full of Shit

FuzzyLumpkins
05-23-2013, 03:58 PM

To me, when you avoid the analytical side then it just sounds like you don't want to be inconvenienced. There is no question that drunk driving legislation is required. That is becuase people get drunk and break peoples shit, hurt them, or kill them drinking and driving. If this saves lives from the negligence of others then this law is worth passing. There are ways to quantify the impact this law has.

So far the counter argument is snark.

CosmicCowboy
05-23-2013, 04:30 PM
To me, when you avoid the analytical side then it just sounds like you don't want to be inconvenienced. There is no question that drunk driving legislation is required. That is becuase people get drunk and break peoples shit, hurt them, or kill them drinking and driving. If this saves lives from the negligence of others then this law is worth passing. There are ways to quantify the impact this law has.

So far the counter argument is snark.
The drunks that are crashing don't give a fuck about the current .08 limit. They are blowing .2's. Lowering it to .05 is just dumb.

boutons_deux
05-23-2013, 04:33 PM
The drunks that are crashing don't give a fuck about the current .08 limit. They are blowing .2's. Lowering it to .05 is just dumb.

Jail for a month, $5000 fine, and no license for a year for first offense could sober up a few of the more intelligent ones.

TeyshaBlue
05-23-2013, 04:35 PM
TB :lol Full of Shit

:lol no content boutons

CosmicCowboy
05-23-2013, 04:43 PM
Jail for a month, $5000 fine, and no license for a year for first offense could sober up a few of the more intelligent ones.

doing that for a .051 is just bum fucking stupid.

Sportcamper
05-23-2013, 04:46 PM

Try 3’ & 4’s in Los Angeles…

Stacey Toran, safety for the Los Angeles Raiders, had a blood-alcohol level more than three times the legal limit when he was killed in an automobile accident Saturday night, the Los Angeles County coroner's office said today.
The results of a toxological examination gave Toran's blood alcohol level at .32 percent, said Robert Dambacher, spokesman for the coroner. Under California law, the level at which a person is considered to be driving under the influence of alcohol is .10 percent.

TSA
05-23-2013, 05:18 PM
Under California law, the level at which a person is considered to be driving under the influence of alcohol is .10 percent..10? You telling me I could have been having an extra beer this whole time? What happened to .08? :lol

Sportcamper
05-23-2013, 05:30 PM
.10? You telling me I could have been having an extra beer this whole time? What happened to .08? :lol

I believe the article is from 1989 (it was .10 then)…I am looking for the article about the guy who was over .40 and smashed his car…Coroner said he should have been unconscious at that level…

CosmicCowboy
05-23-2013, 05:31 PM
When I was in high school drinking and driving was a competitive sport.

Muscle cars with 400+hp, shit brakes and suspension, lap belts and no air bags. Dirt weed was $60 a pound, gas was 21 cents a gallon and Buckhorn was 99 cents a six pack. Life was good.