PDA

View Full Version : NYTimes: In the West, Old and Bland May Win the Race

ElNono
05-18-2013, 04:04 PM
OAKLAND, Calif. — Say it again: they are too bland. Say it again: they are too old. Say it again: they are once again the favorites in the West.

The San Antonio Spurs rode their championship brand of smooth and steady to a clinching 94-82 victory over the plucky but overmatched Golden State Warriors in Game 6 of the N.B.A. Western Conference semifinals, locking in a date Sunday afternoon in San Antonio against the Memphis Grizzlies for Game 1 of the conference finals.

Read More (http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/18/sports/basketball/spurs-old-and-bland-advance-to-western-conference-finals.html)

Mr. Body
05-18-2013, 04:10 PM
Is it a national requirement to call the bland and boring?

Budkin
05-18-2013, 04:29 PM
Will the Spurs ever shed that fucking label? When we had Robinson in the 90s they never called us boring. Is it all because Tim Duncan doesn't scream and pound his chest after he dunks?

Spurs and Mavs fan
05-18-2013, 04:31 PM
I'm starting to wonder if the "boring" label only truly came along after the Spurs began winning championships. Is it because there needed to be some sort of disclaimer - "Yes, the Spurs won, but we need to call them boring?"

Spur|n|Austin
05-18-2013, 04:36 PM
The writer is being ironic.

Poolboy5623
05-18-2013, 05:18 PM
I honestly think the heat are boring to watch...so idk? Living in WI my whole life, I've never really cared what "others" think of the Spurs. However, I've never enjoyed watching a team, like I do the Spurs...whenever I hear someone bitch about the nba in general(lack of effort by players, no defense, etc), I tell them to, "watch the spurs." They are the complete opposite of everything wrong with the nba..basketball at its finest.

HI-FI
05-18-2013, 05:39 PM
we're boring because we don't give the media great drama or soundbytes they can wrap a stupid narrative around.

the Erin Barry/MVP Conversation fiasco could've been disastrous on any other team, but Pop handled that shit in house so the media wouldn't have anything to pillage.

BillMc
05-18-2013, 05:53 PM
we're boring because we don't give the media great drama or soundbytes they can wrap a stupid narrative around.

the Erin Barry/MVP Conversation fiasco could've been disastrous on any other team, but Pop handled that shit in house so the media wouldn't have anything to pillage.

What was the MVP Conversation fiasco?

HI-FI
05-18-2013, 06:00 PM
What was the MVP Conversation fiasco?
sorry, that's just a nickname for Tony Parker. I meant the Parker/Barry mess, and how that would've been a much more explosive situation on any other team.

BillMc
05-18-2013, 06:08 PM
sorry, that's just a nickname for Tony Parker. I meant the Parker/Barry mess, and how that would've been a much more explosive situation on any other team.

Oh, ok. Obviously I knew about the TP / Barry thing. Just thought there might have been another minor scandal I missed...

DapDaGenius
05-18-2013, 06:30 PM
Maybe the writer is being ironic(I'm not sure).

In general, people see that the Spurs don't do alley-oops, our players generally don't get angry or cry after losing a few games, we don't have a lot of drama, but we are always winning(well, always a winning team). The combination of this makes us "boring".

It is funny, I'm willing to bet money that most people who say the Spurs are boring, really haven't watched Spurs games. I think they just hear one person say it(someone on ESPN), then they go off of that. I'm pretty sure most people who claim they "know" the Spurs are boring would be bored watching the Magic or the Bobcats.

I also find it funny that most people that I've seen say this are fans of the Lakers, Heat, Thunder or Clippers.

ShoogarBear
05-18-2013, 07:26 PM
The Spurs need to learn to play the Knicks' brand of exciting ball.

Obstructed_View
05-18-2013, 07:35 PM
The Spurs got the boring label when the novelty of David Robinson playing piano and being able to speak proper English wore off and they realized he wasn't going to have baby mamas or DUIs.

SenorSpur
05-18-2013, 08:03 PM
In listening to a recent interview with David Robinson on the Dan Patrick Show, David expressed how much he loved dunking, when he was a former player. He further explained that, in addition to giving him a temporary feeling of intimation over his opponent, he stated that dunking gave him a feeling of letting his opponent know that "I'm here and I'm ruling this moment". How Robinson, and the Spurs ever, at least during his era, ever gained a label of bland and soft, is beyond me?

Kidd K
05-18-2013, 08:05 PM
Is it a national requirement to call the bland and boring?

Only for dumb fucks who don't watch much of the season and want to fill their airtime with irrelevant shit just to seem like they have something to say rather than talk about facts and reality.

TheProfessor
05-18-2013, 08:28 PM
Even if he's being ironical, it's lazy journalism. But the NYTimes sports section is usually an afterthought anyway.

superjames1992
05-18-2013, 08:32 PM
Anyone who thinks the Spurs are "boring" isn't a real basketball fan, tbh. They're either Heat jersey-wearing bandwagoners or they haven't ever watched the Spurs.

Hell, we even have Kawhi who can throw down some highlight-reel dunks on occasion. For that matter, Manu has thrown down a couple that made you jump out of your seat this postseason! :)

100%duncan
05-18-2013, 08:38 PM
Meh boring article tbh.

GrandeDavid
05-18-2013, 08:43 PM
These idiot writers. No wonder there have been Times writers with other jobs, because they are so underpaid. It's because most don't deserve a good wage. Ginobili, Parker and Kawhi boring? Even Timmy is a great passer to add to his dominance. Only guessing idiots would refer to the Spurs as bland.

Tuche
05-18-2013, 08:53 PM
The Spurs are NOT boring! They just started wearing the boring grey uniforms this year. I wish the Spurs would go back to the classic white home jerseys.

EVAY
05-18-2013, 08:55 PM
Nobody read the NY TImes for the sports page.

The Spurs are in fact boring for anyone who is not a basketball aficionado. They play 'pure' basketball, which is about as exciting as pure cricket.

The average fan, who Stern has courted since the Michael Jordan days, is ignorant of what true basketball as a team sport is about, and prefers the type of Phoenix Suns or Golden State Warriors game, which is offense oriented and star studded dunks and three pointer displays of prowess.

Team basketball always looks dull compared to that, and the Spurs play team basketball.

Ergo, we are always going to be considered dull...except to a basketball fan.

Marcus Bryant
05-18-2013, 08:58 PM
Rather 4 old and bland titles than zero exciting whatever it is that the Knickerbockers are.

ElNono
05-18-2013, 09:03 PM
Nobody read the NY TImes for the sports page.

Local newspaper here... but yeah, this is likely what happens when they have to write something outside their comfort zone (Yankees/Giants/Knicks)...

EVAY
05-18-2013, 09:24 PM
Local newspaper here... but yeah, this is likely what happens when they have to write something outside their comfort zone (Yankees/Giants/Knicks)...

I've had the NYTimes delivered to my house for the last 25 years, either in San Antonio or Colorado, and even I don't read their sports page.

Science? yes. Arts? yes. Sports? no.

rascal
05-18-2013, 09:30 PM
The spurs were winning ugly for years with defense. The spurs have a history since Pop and RC of carrying older over the hill players, mostly unathletic types and a boring style of play- few fast breaks and a very structured offense built on 4 down and perimeter shooting.

The spurs of the 1970s were considered one of the most exciting run and gun high scoring teams in the league.
That is the team I grew up on watching not the boring one they became under pop and RC.

100%duncan
05-18-2013, 09:40 PM
The spurs were winning ugly for years with defense. The spurs have a history since Pop and RC of carrying older over the hill players, mostly unathletic types and a boring style of play- few fast breaks and a very structured offense built on 4 down and perimeter shooting.

The spurs of the 1970s were considered one of the most exciting run and gun high scoring teams in the league.
That is the team I grew up on watching not the boring one they became under pop and RC.

You're a closet LA fan tbh. Everybody knows it who ya fooling :lol

rascal
05-18-2013, 10:02 PM
You're a closet LA fan tbh. Everybody knows it who ya fooling :lol

Wrong
Was not a fan of the Lakers with Magic beating Gervin's teams in the 1980s.

100%duncan
05-19-2013, 01:04 AM
Wrong
Was not a fan of the Lakers with Magic beating Gervin's teams in the 1980s.

Who fuckin cares you dipshit :lol

You sucked off that lakers' cock in the first round

TrainOfThought5
05-19-2013, 01:13 AM
The Spurs got the boring label when the novelty of David Robinson playing piano and being able to speak proper English wore off and they realized he wasn't going to have baby mamas or DUIs.

Bunker bustin truth bomb.

KaiRMD1
05-19-2013, 01:20 AM
I think the spurs are one of the most respected teams at least among players in the NBA.

Spurs and Mavs fan
05-19-2013, 01:23 AM
The way I see it, winning is never boring, and losing is never fun.

Spurs and Mavs fan
05-19-2013, 01:24 AM
If 15 straight playoff appearances = boring, then by all means, let's keep it boring!

adonis827
05-19-2013, 02:12 AM
Will the Spurs ever shed that fucking label? When we had Robinson in the 90s they never called us boring. Is it all because Tim Duncan doesn't scream and pound his chest after he dunks?

Yes they started to be labelled boring because of Tim Duncan- Tim Duncan is after all the Big Fundamental. Basic fundamental basketball- bank shots, just being all around effective player without the flashy dunks etc

For me though- way back when I started rooting for David Robinson, Sean ******, Ellie, Avery, even Terry Cummings and VDN, I have always liked my spurs always found their games exciting.

milkyway21
05-19-2013, 03:15 AM
how can they call the Spurs boring with the inclusion of El Contusion?

http://64.19.142.10/c-product.images.dreamsretail.com/77-36/77-36569-J.jpg http://64.19.142.13/c-product.images.dreamsretail.com/77-18/77-18690-J.jpg

pikkiwoki
05-19-2013, 04:00 AM
Yes they started to be labelled boring because of Tim Duncan- Tim Duncan is after all the Big Fundamental. Basic fundamental basketball- bank shots, just being all around effective player without the flashy dunks etc

For me though- way back when I started rooting for David Robinson, Sean ******, Ellie, Avery, even Terry Cummings and VDN, I have always liked my spurs always found their games exciting.

Sean 6-Star was a beast

mrjap2x
05-19-2013, 04:25 AM
Its kinda annoying to see all those articles that the spurs are boring( not to mention old). It shows that they don't really watch the spurs, don't even check who is playing for the spurs.

TampaDude
05-19-2013, 05:48 AM
NYT...'nuff said...

YoMamaIsCallin
05-19-2013, 05:50 AM
Bland means:

No hero ball
No emo on the faces
No chest pounding, jersey snapping, dancing, staring down, or signature gestures after a basket
They pass the ball
They play team defense according to a scheme, which 98% of viewers can't begin to appreciate
Not much off the court drama played out in the media
Their big 3 all stars are two foreigners and a self-deprecating, intelligent craftsman
They are in a small market town
They are largely home-grown, they don't trade stars back and forth

So, they don't feed the media's cavernous, gaping hole with 24 hour drama and 5 second highlights that they need to keep the average dude from switching the channel so he will watch the 273rd erectile dysfunction drug ad and make one more click on the Neilsen meter.

In other words, they don't make money for the media, do the media doesn't like them.

The Reckoning
05-19-2013, 06:25 AM
Duncan's pretty much a foreigner tbh.

adonis827
05-19-2013, 07:53 AM
sean elliott
sean ******

John B
05-19-2013, 08:16 AM
Real scholars of the game see ball movements, crisp passes, ball rotations than dunks and hero-ball. Why Spurs remained top sports franchise despite playing in small market, has the highest winning percentage in any sports for the last 16 years, with one of the deepest bench and not having to pay 80 million in luxury tax like the Lakers... amaze the hell out of me. Sure I like to see high flying dunks, but then again I love Spurs frustrating them with bank shots, floaters, multiple screens to get open shots. All the hypes will fizzle like the GSW, and old reliable boring execution will win us the games.

Old School 44
05-19-2013, 08:53 AM
The "boring" label came from a few things:

- From the defensive teams the Spurs won with in the past. I remember games where the Spurs would win consistently with the scores being in the 80s and low 90s. "Ugly wins" where they would go on 3-4 minute offensive droughts, but maintain stellar defense on the opposing teams to still grind out victories.

- I think another contributor was the constant feeding in the post and TDs below the rim game. In the past, the offense wasn't very imaginative.

- Finals matchups added to the label as well. That's why I'm excited about a possible Heat/Spurs final. The Spurs need a marquee opponent to possibly shed this label once and for all. Can you imagine a Spurs/Pacers finals? Stern, and the networks, will blow a gasket for sure with that matchup and the label will live on.

DarrinS
05-19-2013, 10:25 AM
The casual NBA fan wants their big men to be monkeyballers who get choked out by Zbo.

Budkin
05-19-2013, 10:34 AM
Its kinda annoying to see all those articles that the spurs are boring( not to mention old). It shows that they don't really watch the spurs, don't even check who is playing for the spurs.

Right it's just basically become a meme at this point for media. Talking about Spurs? Insert keyword <old>, insert keyword <boring>. Publish

m33p0
05-19-2013, 10:41 AM
hey! bring back LucktheFakers!

mrjap2x
05-19-2013, 11:06 AM
Right it's just basically become a meme at this point for media. Talking about Spurs? Insert keyword <old>, insert keyword <boring>. Publish
Now that when you think of it, it doesn't really sound like its impossible :lol

Thomas82
05-19-2013, 11:30 AM
I honestly think the heat are boring to watch...so idk? Living in WI my whole life, I've never really cared what "others" think of the Spurs. However, I've never enjoyed watching a team, like I do the Spurs...whenever I hear someone bitch about the nba in general(lack of effort by players, no defense, etc), I tell them to, "watch the spurs." They are the complete opposite of everything wrong with the nba..basketball at its finest.

Cosign!!

Darius McCrary
05-19-2013, 11:36 AM

!!! :lmao :rolling

Obstructed_View
05-19-2013, 11:58 AM
The "boring" label came from a few things:

- From the defensive teams the Spurs won with in the past. I remember games where the Spurs would win consistently with the scores being in the 80s and low 90s. "Ugly wins" where they would go on 3-4 minute offensive droughts, but maintain stellar defense on the opposing teams to still grind out victories.

- I think another contributor was the constant feeding in the post and TDs below the rim game. In the past, the offense wasn't very imaginative.

- Finals matchups added to the label as well. That's why I'm excited about a possible Heat/Spurs final. The Spurs need a marquee opponent to possibly shed this label once and for all. Can you imagine a Spurs/Pacers finals? Stern, and the networks, will blow a gasket for sure with that matchup and the label will live on.

Nope, nope, and nope. They talked up the Pat Riley and Jeff Van Gundy Knicks teams that set basketball back with their intentionally slow pace. They talked up the Pistons who were all about defense. They talked up Lebron and the Cavs only until they ended up playing the Spurs in the finals. They talked up the Celtics who had KG shooting fadeaways on his aging ankles. We didn't hear anything about boring basketball when Kevin Durant was going one on three and the Thunder were scoring 90 a game. We didn't hear anything about boring basketball when Miami and Chicago were slogging around in the last round.

Suddenly the headline for the conference finals is about ugly basketball, when the Spurs are 4th in the league in scoring and 2nd in assists.

Spurs and Mavs fan
05-19-2013, 12:03 PM
I love it when the boring Spurs win the championship. Makes so many people so disappointed nationwide.

Old School 44
05-19-2013, 08:10 PM
Nope, nope, and nope. They talked up the Pat Riley and Jeff Van Gundy Knicks teams that set basketball back with their intentionally slow pace. They talked up the Pistons who were all about defense. They talked up Lebron and the Cavs only until they ended up playing the Spurs in the finals. They talked up the Celtics who had KG shooting fadeaways on his aging ankles. We didn't hear anything about boring basketball when Kevin Durant was going one on three and the Thunder were scoring 90 a game. We didn't hear anything about boring basketball when Miami and Chicago were slogging around in the last round.

Suddenly the headline for the conference finals is about ugly basketball, when the Spurs are 4th in the league in scoring and 2nd in assists.

What I posted and what you posted are mutually exclusive. How the media treats/perceives the Knicks, Celtics, Cavs, Bulls or whoever has nothing to do with how the Spurs got their "boring" label. Don't get me wrong, I don't agree with the label, I'm just pointing out some of the things the media ran with to apply this label to the Spurs.

SouthernFried
05-19-2013, 08:26 PM
I had season tickets in the Arena when Gervin & Co. were doing "exciting" basketball.

They were fun to watch. They even got to the playoffs. No championship.

I love Gervin. Even played in some leagues with him and G, after he retired. That said...I prefer winning basketball to exciting basketball.

Because, winning basketball is, by definition...exciting basketball. Winning basketball, is never boring. IMHO ;)

TampaDude
05-19-2013, 08:35 PM
Winning basketball, is never boring. IMHO ;)

^ this

Obstructed_View
05-19-2013, 09:05 PM
What I posted and what you posted are mutually exclusive. How the media treats/perceives the Knicks, Celtics, Cavs, Bulls or whoever has nothing to do with how the Spurs got their "boring" label. Don't get me wrong, I don't agree with the label, I'm just pointing out some of the things the media ran with to apply this label to the Spurs.

Sorry to keep disagreeing, but you're wrong again. The same media that called the Spurs boring for not scoring a lot of points or for not dunking or for playing defense continue to overlook the terrible, low-scoring basketball played by other teams that they choose to cover favorably. It's proof that there's not anything the Spurs do on the court that earns them a boring label. It's a cop-out by media who want to go to exciting cities to cover basketball for casual fans that aren't paying attention anyway or media who think they're friends with the high-profile athletes that they cover.