PDA

View Full Version : Why did Cheney blast Kerry for his military votes?

Bandit2981
09-02-2004, 01:41 PM
As secretary of defense under Bush I, Cheney seemed to agree with Kerry...hmmm....here is part of Bush's state of the union address in 1992:
link (http://www.c-span.org/executive/transcript.asp?cat=current_event&code=bush_admin&year=1992)

Two years ago, I began planning cuts in military spending that reflected the changes of the new era. But now, this year, with imperial communism gone, that process can be accelerated. Tonight I can tell you of dramatic changes in our strategic nuclear force. These are actions we are taking on our own because they are the right thing to do. After completing 20 planes for which we have begun procurement, we will shut down further production of the B - 2 bombers. We will cancel the small ICBM program. We will cease production of new warheads for our sea-based ballistic missiles. We will stop all new production of the Peacekeeper missile. And we will not purchase any more advanced cruise missiles.

This weekend I will meet at Camp David with Boris Yeltsin of the Russian Federation. I've informed President Yeltsin that if the Commonwealth, the former Soviet Union, will eliminate all land-based multiple-warhead ballistic missiles, I will do the following: We will eliminate all Peacekeeper missiles. We will reduce the number of warheads on Minuteman missiles to one and reduce the number of warheads on our sea-based missiles by about one-third. And we will convert a substantial portion of our strategic bombers to primarily conventional use. President Yeltsin's early response has been very positive, and I expect our talks at Camp David to be fruitful.

I want you to know that for half a century, American Presidents have longed to make such decisions and say such words. But even in the midst of celebration, we must keep caution as a friend. For the world is still a dangerous place. Only the dead have seen the end of conflict. And though yesterday's challenges are behind us, tomorrow's are being born.

The Secretary of Defense recommended these cuts after consultation with the Joint Chiefs of Staff. And I make them with confidence. But do not misunderstand me. The reductions I have approved will save us an additional $50 billion over the next 5 years. By 1997, we will have cut defense by 30 percent since I took office.

Yonivore
09-02-2004, 01:43 PM
Well, because, they were mandated to do so by a Demoncratic Congress.

Bandit2981
09-02-2004, 01:45 PM
oh ok, so Bush is lying when he says Cheney recommended the cuts?

Tommy Duncan
09-02-2004, 01:46 PM
Look at the date.

Bandit2981
09-02-2004, 01:48 PM
what dates are Cheney referring to when criticizing the votes Kerry made?

Tommy Duncan
09-02-2004, 01:52 PM
Ask him.

Bandit2981
09-02-2004, 01:54 PM
i dont have to, i already realize he is a hypocrite ignoring his own recommendations that coincided with kerry's

Tommy Duncan
09-02-2004, 01:56 PM
Cheney's recommendations came after the end of the Cold War. Not hypocritical and certainly not hard to understand. Also, Yonni is correct, the limits set by Congress were important.

Bandit2981
09-02-2004, 01:57 PM
um, it is hypocritical when he blasts kerry now for wanting to cut the same things he did then

Tommy Duncan
09-02-2004, 01:59 PM
Again, Cheney was advocating this after the Cold War. What part of this do you not understand? Kerry opposed the Reagan buildup.

Bandit2981
09-02-2004, 02:06 PM
Cheney Proposed The Cuts For Which He Now Criticizes Kerry

Cheney Recommended Termination of Apache Program. In testimony before the House Armed Services Committee, Cheney said, "The Army, as I indicated in my earlier testimony, recommended to me that we keep a robust Apache helicopter program going forward, AH-64...I forced the Army to make choices...So I recommended that we cancel the AH-64 program two years out." (Cheney Testimony, House Armed Services Committee, 7/13/89)

-- Cheney Proposed Cutting F-14 Aircraft. In 1991, Cheney was successful in scrapping plans for new F-14 Tomcat fighters. In testimony before the House Armed Services Committee, Cheney said, "What I recommended to the Committee was that we shut down the new F-14D production line." (Cheney testimony, House Armed Services Committee, 7/13/89)

-- Cheney Proposed the Cuts For Which He Now Blames Kerry. In testimony before the Senate Appropriations Committee, Defense Subcommittee, Cheney said, "This is just a list of some of the programs that I've recommended termination: the V-22 Osprey, the F-14D, the Army Helicopter Improvement Program, Phoenix missile, F-15E, the Apache helicopter, the M1 tank, et cetera." (Cheney testimony, Senate Appropriations Committee, Defense Subcommittee, 6/12/90)

Yonivore
09-02-2004, 02:08 PM
"oh ok, so Bush is lying when he says Cheney recommended the cuts?"
General cuts were mandated by a Demoncratic Congress. The Secretary of Defense merely recommended the best place to make cuts he was mandated to undertake.

Kind of like deciding if you want the terrorist to cut off an arm or a leg. You don't want either, but really, there is no third choice.

Seriously, if you believe Dick Cheney woke up one morning and said, "Gee, I think I'll cut the military back some this week," you're crazy.

It's called doing what you're told by the elected representatives of government...the people.

bigzak25
09-02-2004, 02:43 PM
maybe there is a difference between military cuts during wartime vs. otherwise....ya think?

Yonivore
09-02-2004, 03:22 PM
Well, there's that too.