PDA

View Full Version : (Underrated) Keys for the Spurs-Grizzlies

Spursfanfromafar
05-19-2013, 07:28 AM
1) Kawhi and Green's team defense - Expect a lot of double teaming of Randolph and maybe to some extent of Gasol. Kawhi and Green will most likely be given the duties to leave their priority marks to double team Randolph and then return back to guarding the three point line against Pondexter/Prince/Allen. They have to get their speed and spacing right on defense. This is going to be a major key for the Spurs. Shut the Grizzlies down in defense and use ball movement to overcome the Grizz' superior defense.

2) Ginobili hitting the three - expect the Grizzlies' defenders to sag into the paint when Ginobili handles the ball on pick & roll and expecting him to fail on the three pointer. Ginobili has to get going early and then force Allen/ others to play him close, which would allow him to pass on the drive and dish. Parker, I think, will hold his own against Conley. Ginobili has to do his.

3) Any/some breather for Duncan/Splitter by Diaw/Bonner would be very useful. If Bonner can show some chops in guarding Randolph on the post and minimise the latter's effectiveness and then hit a three when it presents itself, the Spurs will be hard to stop. And Diaw has to be aggressive and not stay idle.

4) Disrupt Gasol/Randolph's high-low game. Tiago has to be very smart while defending Gasol; always keep a high arm on him and disrupt his passing rhythms. Duncan will hold his own on the post against Randolph, IMO.

5) Don't underestimate Tony Allen's offensive game. Allen is having his best postseason and possibly the best offensive stretch of his career. The Clippers had no one to guard him while the Thunder weren't smart enough. I expect Parker/Ginobili to guard Allen. If they can prevent Allen from surprising on offense, there would be too much pressure on Conley to handle backcourt duties and could disrupt the Grizzlies.

Basically this series is going to be a "All in" team effort. All five of the Spurs on the court have to be in their fullest gear and preparation if the Spurs need to win. And I suppose they will.

100%duncan
05-19-2013, 08:07 AM
Good points. Though I would like to add;

1. CoJo vs Bayless matchup in the 2nd unit will be big for both teams. IMHO, if CoJo handled Jack well, a Bayless is pretty doable at worst.

2. Gang rebounding, I think you forgot about this one OP. Spurs were not doing good on the boards last series for most of the games. And rebounding against a Memphis squad is extremely more important imho.

3. 50-50 balls, we gotta have these kind of balls. "Grit and Grind" yes, we have to grit and grind with them.

I think that's mostly it. :tu

The Reckoning
05-19-2013, 08:13 AM
agreed. spurs' depth and keeping everyone well rested is key. if spurs can't get a quick jump then they'll have to survive the attrition.

dbestpro
05-19-2013, 10:06 AM
As much as i have lost confidence in Blair, it is also possibe that he is fully capable of being an X factor with his rebounding, that is if he sees the floor. If only this guy would focus on what he does well, he might end up being a decent basketball player.

Creation88
05-19-2013, 10:19 AM
points off turnovers.....check them out for the regular season. they were huge in determining the winner.

Spursfanfromafar
05-19-2013, 03:36 PM
So far.. on these keys.. so good ;)