PDA

View Full Version : Grizzlies can't beat the Spurs with Randolph-Gasol frontcourt..

HarlemHeat37
05-19-2013, 04:11 PM
unless Randolph goes for 25-12ish, tbh..

The Grizzlies were approximately 7 points/per 100 possessions worse this season against the Spurs when Randolph and Gasol were on the floor together..

In today's game, they have been more successful with Randolph on the bench, allowing them to spread the floor..

The Spurs' defensive success this season has been on the interior, with the Duncan-Splitter frontcourt anchoring the team..this matches up well with the Grizzlies style of 2 post players and no shooters to hurt the Spurs..

Bonner has also shown that he does a decent job against Randolph, while Z-Bo has no chance to contest his shot..

Duncan is also in a perfect defensive situation when Randolph is on the floor, as he can guard him without the threat of the pick and roll..

If the Grizzlies are going to win this series, they will probably have to go to Arthur more often, or go with small-ball and Prince at the 4 IMO..they should still be giving Randolph 30 minutes per game, obviously, but they should be running lineups without him more frequently, especially when he's struggling..

Of course this is all meaningless if Randolph is hot, since he's difficult to stop in that case, especially since Memphis's offensive options are scarce..

SanDiegoSpursFan
05-19-2013, 04:28 PM
I hope it continues. Their bigs haven't been able to abuse the Spurs', and with Timmy on Randolph, they can't exploit him on the Pick-and-roll. They had to take Randolph out to get a good offense/PnR going. Giving up semi-contested mid-range jumpers with Randolph being shut out of the offense would be great.

quentin_compson
05-19-2013, 04:36 PM
The Grizzlies were approximately 7 points/per 100 possessions worse this season against the Spurs when Randolph and Gasol were on the floor together..

In today's game, they have been more successful with Randolph on the bench, allowing them to spread the floor..

The Spurs' defensive success this season has been on the interior, with the Duncan-Splitter frontcourt anchoring the team..this matches up well with the Grizzlies style of 2 post players and no shooters to hurt the Spurs..

Bonner has also shown that he does a decent job against Randolph, while Z-Bo has no chance to contest his shot..

Duncan is also in a perfect defensive situation when Randolph is on the floor, as he can guard him without the threat of the pick and roll..

If the Grizzlies are going to win this series, they will probably have to go to Arthur more often, or go with small-ball and Prince at the 4 IMO..they should still be giving Randolph 30 minutes per game, obviously, but they should be running lineups without him more frequently, especially when he's struggling..

Of course this is all meaningless if Randolph is hot, since he's difficult to stop in that case, especially since Memphis's offensive options are scarce..

Exactly. I don't think Memphis has much room to play without Randolph. They simply don't have enough shooters to go with small ball for longer stretches.

hooperflash
05-19-2013, 04:37 PM
Who's cuter: Gasol or Z-Bo?

HarlemHeat37
05-19-2013, 04:40 PM
I agree, but that's why I'm confident in the Spurs to win this series, tbh..

The 2011 Spurs would have destroyed Golden State, while the 2013 had some struggles with their style..

The 2013 Spurs are built to beat teams like the Grizzlies and Thunder after the 2011 embarrassment, tbh..

Gasol-Randolph combination has been horrible against the Spurs this season..

freetiago
05-19-2013, 05:06 PM
Randolph is a huge weak point in their pick and roll defense
the team having to overhelp is the reason why Spurs get so many open looks

and it helps that Darrel Arthur wasnt on from long 2 and Bonner was on from 3

HarlemHeat37
05-19-2013, 05:16 PM
As I said in my other thread, the only way Memphis gets away with this is if Splitter is in foul trouble all series long..

Randolph got a ton of calls against Nick Collison last series, Collison refused to flop for some reason(usually a specialty for him) and the refs had him in foul trouble all series..this forced OKC to play the horrible Perkins..

If Splitter stays on the floor against Randolph, he needs to flop more, tbh, or the refs will eliminate him..

If Duncan is guarding Randolph, Z-Bo won't get away with the same calls he did vs. Collison..

HarlemHeat37
05-19-2013, 05:17 PM
Also, not only did Randolph struggle, but Gasol's post game was horrible..he had 4 airballs in post-up situations..

Most of his success was from spot-up jump shots..

blkroadrunners

:lmao

jag
Interesting take HH. I agree

prahps

blkroadrunners
05-19-2013, 05:23 PM
HH, do you see the Griz having better success if they started Pondexter over Allen?

ironman2886
05-19-2013, 05:23 PM
Just can't let Gasol shoot open jumpers in his sweet spot at the high post.

Nathan89
05-19-2013, 05:26 PM
I don't see Memphis deciding not to play Zbo.

Floyd Pacquiao
05-19-2013, 05:30 PM
Zbo is weak defensively he's slow in the PnR as FT said and he's not a shot blocker...spurs must attack him

Chinook
05-19-2013, 05:34 PM
HH, do you see the Griz having better success if they started Pondexter over Allen?

That's definitely a possible adjustment. Allen's either wasted on Green or is exposed by him. Bringing Allen off the bench would allow him to check Ginobili. However, it probably also takes away the opportunity to cross-match if Parker beats Conley. Also, losing Pondexter's shooting may further cripple Memphis' bench.

DPG21920
05-19-2013, 05:37 PM
Well think about it this way too: Let's say Zbo and Gasol comine for 50 points (which would be huge and not likely 4 games out of 7) - who gets them the other 40? Look at what the Spurs were able to do to a much better scoring backcourt in Curry/Klay and now you are expecting Prince/Conley/Bayless to get you 40 (a low estimate because that's assuming Zbo/Gasol combine for 50).

Like HH said, it's not that Zbo and Mark aren't capable, it's just one of the stronger things the Spurs are built around (post defense).

If the Spurs don't turn it over and if they rebound and hit a decent amount of three's, they should be able to get that 90-95 points which should win you games against this MEM team. Especially if Zbo struggles.

HarlemHeat37
05-19-2013, 05:43 PM
I don't see Memphis deciding not to play Zbo.

They have to play him, they don't have other options..

My point is that if they had other options, they would be better off without him playing a major role, as the Spurs are built to defend a team like theirs..

If Randolph isn't going for 25-15 in this series, he's a liability and the Spurs will exploit him..I'm pretty confident that Tim Duncan can prevent Randolph from getting an efficient 25, tbh..

EricB
05-19-2013, 05:45 PM
Z Bo on the PNRs was like a glacier. Spurs didn't attack it enough imo. Spurs offense when it moves the ball like that beats any defense. Also got away with a typical Duncan day game.

blkroadrunners
05-19-2013, 05:46 PM
That's definitely a possible adjustment. Allen's either wasted on Green or is exposed by him. Bringing Allen off the bench would allow him to check Ginobili. However, it probably also takes away the opportunity to cross-match if Parker beats Conley. Also, losing Pondexter's shooting may further cripple Memphis' bench.

I think QP starting would relieve pressure off ZBo and Gasol and gives the Grizz an extra 3 point shooter. As far as Allen's D on Parker, Conley is probably just as good defending Parker than Allen; he poked the ball out of Parker's hands some today.I wouldn't be suprised if that adjustment is made especially after QP's performance today.

hater
05-19-2013, 05:47 PM

dbreiden83080
05-19-2013, 05:59 PM
Also, not only did Randolph struggle, but Gasol's post game was horrible..he had 4 airballs in post-up situations..

He doesn't have a great post game, it is just solid.. 15 PPG is basically what he is as a player. He may have one big game but he wont' hurt us throughout.

TD 21
05-19-2013, 06:04 PM

I wasn't surprised. The vast majority seem to be completely confused with what Gasol is as a player. He's not the physically dominant brute he's made out to be. In fact, he's the exact opposite. He's a finesse player, who's game consists of mid range shooting/high post passing and solid positional defense/shot blocking. That's it. He's not a low post guy and he's a pathetic rebounder considering the fact that he's a behemoth.

That's why I liked that they put Splitter on him, because it meant Duncan didn't have to stray from the paint consistently, nor defend the pick and pop as much. Plus, as you said, he'll get far more leeway on Randolph than Splitter will.

As far as the title of the thread, if they can't beat them with those two in tandem, then they flat out can't beat them (barring significant injury), because they don't have the depth or versatility to win any other way.

Warlord23
05-19-2013, 06:16 PM
The Grizz starting lineup having Prince and Allen (2 poor scorers) puts more pressure on Zbo/Gasol. If Hollins doesn't see improvements he will swap one of these 2 out for Pondexter or Bayless. Pop needs to be prepared for that tbh.

SenorSpur
05-19-2013, 06:22 PM
Randolph is the type of player that must get off and get going early in the game. Usually, if he gets into an early scoring funk, it usually affects him for the duration of the game.

SA210
05-19-2013, 11:45 PM

HarlemHeat37
05-27-2013, 11:06 PM
Easy call, tbh..

tuncaboylu
05-27-2013, 11:16 PM
We've a winner.

Well played HH.

tesseractive
05-27-2013, 11:31 PM
Easy call, tbh..
So I'm curious: do you think we have a shot vs. your boy LeBron?

HarlemHeat37
05-27-2013, 11:36 PM
I'm leaning towards the Heat, but the Spurs definitely have a shot..

Miami's defensive weaknesses are ball movement + competent bigs + 3-point shooters + offensive rebounding..the Spurs can potentially exploit 3 of those 4 weaknesses, tbh..

therealtruth
05-27-2013, 11:57 PM
Pop's coaching like it's '07 again and defense first. I like this version of Pop much better than the one that likes to overplay Neal/Bonner. If only he had not lost his faith in defense.