PDA

View Full Version : Great start...

benefactor
05-19-2013, 05:02 PM
...but it's best of seven. Don't forget what happened last season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu1JMbSLPvc

ElNono
05-19-2013, 05:04 PM
agreed... i mean, I would love the Spurs to shoot like this from downtown all the way to the LOB, but you get the feeling it's not sustainable... defense was great though

100%duncan
This. No pre-ejac threads please.

hater
oh it's gonna be a long series. This was a fluke game on SPurs favor

Spurs in 6 save any injuries

timtonymanu
THIS

Mal
05-19-2013, 05:05 PM
That was way too easy. I am really concerned about it. Grizz put one good run, and they where fucking anihilated after that. Too easy...

HI-FI
05-19-2013, 05:05 PM
i agree, no reason to get cocky. Grizzlies will try to make adjustments, plus Stern might make some officiating adjustments just to add some drama.

i ain't cocky, shit could go to 7, but I am excited of how well we played.

td4mvp21
05-19-2013, 05:06 PM
Plus Memphis lost Game 1 in both of their previous series. They're good at adjusting.

But still, really good win. Much better than dropping the first game.

ChumpDumper
05-19-2013, 05:06 PM
The way we feel doesn't make any difference to the outcome of the series.

mudyez
05-19-2013, 05:07 PM
I picked the Spurs in 4 and will stand by that. Ok, we probably wont shoot like that a lot of games, but give me a reason to believe the Grizz can win a game as long as we do a good job on ZBo!

Spursfanfromafar
05-19-2013, 05:08 PM
What I like about this game is not the three pointer binge, but the fact that the Spurs played terrific defense to overcome the Randolph-Gasol threat. They just played to their advantages and maximised it very very efficiently. Terrific coaching by Popovich and great execution by the motivated Spurs in the first game.

The intensity is only going to increase and winning the next game is absolutely a necessity, in my opinion. The Spurs just cant' relax. Memphis' half court defense was still very good in the first game and they will come out with adjustments to cut out the Spurs' 3 point game in the next one. If Spurs win game 2, the Grizz will be in tremendous pressure for Game 3 and the Spurs will also have a lot of time to rest their ankles/hips/legs for that game.

Bruno
05-19-2013, 05:08 PM
Yeah, a damn great win.

Aside of being up 1-0, another positive of this game is that only Parker has played more than 30 minutes. Spurs should be fine physically for game 2.

angelbelow
05-19-2013, 05:09 PM
Randolph probably doesn't shoot 1-8 again, Bonner might not be so open again.. still think its going to be 4-2 Spurs though.

Rummpd
05-19-2013, 05:09 PM
This. No pre-ejac threads please.

This was the dangerous game a Sunday early game after Grizz had more rest -now Spurs will continue to show that with Splitter alongside Duncan Grizz's vaunted size is a wash at best and that Spurs deeper and more versatile. Most importantly, Spurs not going to relax and get back door swept in WCF this year as they are a better, healthier and more motivated team.

siraulo23
05-19-2013, 05:10 PM
definitely, usually after a blowout win, the next game is going down to the wire

spurs have to stay focused and be mentally ready, zbo isnt gonna have another 2 pt game this series

Amuseddaysleeper
05-19-2013, 05:10 PM
Memphis is undefeated at home in these playoffs.

Getting Game 2 will be crucial. Will be curious to see if the Spurs can get a road win in Memphis.

Excellent game today for our boys :tu

benefactor
05-19-2013, 05:11 PM
Yeah, a damn great win.

Aside of being up 1-0, another positive of this game is that only Parker has played more than 30 minutes. Spurs should be fine physically for game 2.
:tu

That's pretty huge. My biggest worry going into this series was the potential to get beat up during this series. Game one couldn't have gone any better from that standpoint.

Nathan89
05-19-2013, 05:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu1JMbSLPvc

Harlemheat is fuming.:madrun

EricB
05-19-2013, 05:13 PM
2012 Thunder>>>>>>>>>>>>!> 2013 Memphis

Kuestmaster
05-19-2013, 05:13 PM
This is going to be much shorter than people think. Memphis have absolutely NOTHING outside Z-Bo, Marc and Conley. Take one out like today and it's going to be so much easier than against GSW.

Whisky Dog
05-19-2013, 05:15 PM
It's going to be a tough series because Memphis will muck it up in ways they tried to do this game but didnt sustain. The thing I'm thinking though is that Memphis shot well when they got looks, just the Spurs didnt give them many good looks.

The Spurs defense was stout and that's what caused Memphis to have a hard time all game. That's encouraging as it's something te Spurs brought the last 4 games in a row against GS and now brought to this series. If that's the level then it's going to be good.

The shooting won't always be that hit, but the Spurs got some wide open looks off of penetration and player/ball movement. If they're that wide open I like their chances to shoot a high percentage. What really helps is that there are no shot blockers to bother Parker and Ginobili in this series.

Blizzardwizard
05-19-2013, 05:15 PM
Spurs win = Fluke win.

Spurs lose = Cliff jumping raging inferno of suicide notices and death threats to staff/players/opposing fans/Thunderupbullying(lost4-1LOL)

Sec24Row7
05-19-2013, 05:20 PM
We shot well... But they shot well from 3 too...

Their defense is going to grind us down soon... I have no doubt about that... Just hope it is in Memphis... And not game 2.

benefactor
05-19-2013, 05:21 PM
As I said in another thread, the series doesn't start until the Spurs get to Memphis. Just as the Spurs can use those days off, the Grizz will also use them to make adjustments. We will see how it plays out from that point on.

Chinook
05-19-2013, 05:38 PM
Randolph probably doesn't shoot 1-8 again, Bonner might not be so open again.. still think its going to be 4-2 Spurs though.

That's a good thing. It completely breaks Memphis' defense to have to drag a big on Bonner. If Matt continues to shoot with confidence, you'll see Parker and Ginobili get wider driving lanes. It's all on Bonner, though. He needs to continue to step up. If he does, Memphis is in real trouble.

DPG21920
05-19-2013, 05:50 PM
Great start, but a lot of things went the Spurs way:

o Role players, especially guys known for struggling on a bigger stage (i.e. Bonner) all stepped up and made a ton of 3's. Sure most were good looks, but there were a few heat checks in there as well that splashed. Obviously can't rely on that always.

o Zbo was a non factor. While the Spurs are more well equipped to handle him this time around, you have to imagine he will be more of a factor on offense and on the glass.

Getting points from the Spurs bench/role players is huge and would go a long way to cracking 90 every game - especially if TP is going to look this good. However, I am still extraordinarily concerned about the level of Tim Duncan's game. Turnovers, can't find any offense at all, shot off and after the first quarter he continues to look pretty damn sluggish. Ya, the Spurs shooting today masked the Spurs bigs not producing offensively, but can that sustain? I have some doubts.

Great win - but a lot of weird stats and still some major concerns.

TD 21
05-19-2013, 05:55 PM
The Grizzlies aren't the Thunder, though. Even though many, including me, picked the Spurs to win that series, we all knew going in how they could lose. The only way I see how they could lose this series, is injuries. Great news on that front, as Parker looked physically right and despite the persisting pain, Leonard did too. As long as that continues (and they don't suffer some other significant injury in the process, of course), they're not losing this series.

silverblk mystix
05-19-2013, 06:00 PM
Great start. Still think it will be a 6 or 7 game series.

A lot of mutual respect and courteous behavior and smiles from both teams - but wait a game or two - and it will turn into animosity and cheap shots from grizz players. If this mutual respect continues -Spurs win series handily.

If the grizz get nasty and lose that courteous behavior - then it will be a tougher road but Spurs will grind it out.

Obstructed_View
05-19-2013, 06:00 PM
Memphis came out playing the speed they did against OKC, clearly expecting the 2011 Spurs. They'll learn their lesson, but there aren't that many adjustments they can make. Anyone who thinks the Spurs won this game at the three point line wasn't paying attention.

DPG21920
05-19-2013, 06:03 PM
They most definitely won the game at the three point line. I don't see how you can refute that. It's not that they took bad shots - most shots they got were pretty damn good, but they attempted about 30 3-pointers and made 14 or 15. The ball movement was very good (aside from quite a few really silly turnovers, but they kept those at an overall managable number) and they did plenty of good things, but they got no interior scoring from Diaw/Duncan/Tiago and that 3 ball made everything go.

Not necessarily a bad thing, but if your starting PF/C comine for 7 points on 30% FG, the 3-ball is definitely a saving grace.

Obstructed_View
05-19-2013, 06:07 PM
They most definitely won the game at the three point line. I don't see how you can refute that. It's not that they took bad shots - most shots they got were pretty damn good, but they attempted about 30 3-pointers and made 14 or 15. The ball movement was very good (aside from quite a few really silly turnovers, but they kept those at an overall managable number) and they did plenty of good things, but they got no interior scoring from Diaw/Duncan/Tiago and that 3 ball made everything go.

Not necessarily a bad thing, but if your starting PF/C comine for 7 points on 30% FG, the 3-ball is definitely a saving grace.
Example of someone not paying attention. Perfect timing.

DPG21920
05-19-2013, 06:07 PM
lol O_V

DPG21920
05-19-2013, 06:08 PM
Unless you were referring to defensively? I mean, if we are speaking about offensively, then I would love to see what you have to say here.

Obstructed_View
05-19-2013, 06:33 PM
Unless you were referring to defensively? I mean, if we are speaking about offensively, then I would love to see what you have to say here.

Do I have to go back and watch the game for you? The Spurs rebounded the ball magnificently (The Grizzlies had 4 of their 10 offensive rebounds in garbage time). The Spurs took care of the ball. They shot 55 percent on their twos, and were so dominant that Memphis left them wide open for jumpers.

Honest to god, I'm unsure how you require convincing that the 15 extra points they got from three pointers aren't really a "saving grace" when they won by 25. Three point shooting was a bigger factor in Memphis coming back temporarily in the third quarter than it was for the Spurs.

therealtruth
05-19-2013, 06:38 PM
If the Spurs play good defense I don't think the Grizzlies can score enough points.

DarrinS
05-19-2013, 07:45 PM
I just hope the Spurs continue this boring, bland flavor of basketball

Austin_Toros
05-19-2013, 08:11 PM
http://oi39.tinypic.com/2z3w5rd.jpg

benefactor
05-21-2013, 11:13 PM
So as we all can now see, they aren't going away quickly. I'm sure some of you will be whining about the officiating but the fact is that Memphis has been coming back from big deficits all year. Officiating alone doesn't cause a 9pt fourth quarter.

Now the series begins.

benefactor
05-21-2013, 11:13 PM
Memphis was also +14 on the glass and pulled down 19 offensive boards.