PDA

View Full Version : Are the Spurs starting to peak at the right time?

Kidd K
05-19-2013, 06:01 PM
Let's face it, our Spurs have struggled since March. They got worse and less healthy the later it got in the season. We may have been lucky to have pulled the super awful Lakers in the first round considering how bad the Spurs were playing. Then we face off against the Warriors and they look unstoppable in the first two games before we finally pull it together.

As that series wound down, we started to crush them more and more. . .and now the "favored" Grizzlies just got curb stomped by our Spurs in game 1.

Is our team finally peaking at the right time? Or were the last 3 games just flukes? I think if we win comfortably in game 2 and take one of the two in Memphis. . .it might just be a good indicator the Spurs are peaking at the perfect time.

Brunodf
05-19-2013, 06:03 PM
Just one game, take a deep breath and calm down

weebo
05-19-2013, 06:04 PM
Defensively I think they are. It also helps that Green and Leonard are playing with more confidence.

The Reckoning
05-19-2013, 06:05 PM
they're double rainbow peaking tbh.

Kidd K
05-19-2013, 06:06 PM

I spoke about the last three games, not just tonight's.

Spurs21Fan4Ever
05-19-2013, 06:07 PM
Don't forget about last year's WCF. But hopefully Leonard and Green continue to play like this.

Stabula
05-19-2013, 06:08 PM

:lol wtf are you talking about no one is getting overly excited or going off the deep end, the OP is just posing a legitimate question.

HarlemHeat37
05-19-2013, 06:09 PM
Duncan and Ginobili don't look good, and Parker's dominance fluctuates from game-to-game, but the role players are peaking and finally looking like they did last year, tbh..

Leonard and Green are playing great basketball on both ends of the floor..

Splitter, Bonner and Diaw have been playing well..

Cory Joseph has been absolutely solid, especially defensively..

Neal has been horrible, but he had a decent game today, maybe that will get him going..

If Duncan and/or Ginobili can start producing consistently, then I'd say the Spurs are peaking..

DPG21920
05-19-2013, 06:10 PM
I mean, I can't say yes simply because they struggled so badly for so long and that includes against GS. The defense is peaking, but offensively not any where close.

EricB
05-19-2013, 06:11 PM
Duncan looked more disinterested today than tired...

Kidd K
05-19-2013, 06:12 PM
Don't forget about last year's WCF. But hopefully Leonard and Green continue to play like this.

I was thinkin about that specifically tbh. We peaked WAY early last year then flamed out at the worst time. This year we had our terrible stretch when it didn't matter (except losing the #1 seed which in the end didn't matter luckily), and this past week is the best ball they've played in months. We're pretty much starting to play well this postseason at right about the time we started to drop off last year.

The jury's still out on them since they've been so inconsistent, but if their next couple games go well I think the future might be pretty bright for us this year. :)

Stabula
05-19-2013, 06:13 PM
I miss last year's offense, the ball-movement was so fucking crisp

DPG21920
05-19-2013, 06:13 PM

Maybe - but you really think in a WCF game with his career winding down and having a last shot at a ring possibly he would be disinterested?

Stabula
05-19-2013, 06:14 PM

I don't get how you become disinterested in a conference finals game when this may be your last legitimate chance of getting your final ring at the age of 37.

Brunodf
05-19-2013, 06:16 PM
I spoke about the last three games, not just tonight's.
Fair enough, i think we are playing better because our players are health(at least better) and our starting lineup is back.

silverblackfan
05-19-2013, 06:26 PM
Honestly, they have steadily improved since Jax was waived. The defense, ball movement, and role players confidence has all looked much better. It probably helped that the Spurs are dialed in to stop any offensive threat after the GS series. The Grizzlies just did not have enough firepower to win the game. Although they will adjust, I think that will be the story of the series.

RodNIc91
05-19-2013, 06:26 PM
Not peaking but , as I said in another thread, they are at a turning point. Not sure if its the same thing though :lol. To me the difference is that they are now back to trusting the system that worked for them all year and sticking to it. As long as they stick to it which means: move the ball, find the shooters, play the pick n roll, defend the 3-pt, they will be alright. This team is no longer built so that the Big 3 outplay the opponent, as only TP is the one capable of playing elite offense night in and night out. They almost made that same mistake this year like they did with OKC (which in turn took the confidence away from the role players) but I think Pop made sure it wouldn't happen this time.

Mr. Body
05-19-2013, 06:28 PM
Not peaking. Memphis shouldn't be this far. If OKC were healthy they would have been here instead.

Capt Bringdown
05-19-2013, 06:33 PM
Given the Spurs recent propensity for playoff meltdowns, we'll have a better idea if/when we don't rack up another humiliating exit.

FuzzyLumpkins
05-19-2013, 06:40 PM
Parker had a neck and ankle to round out the season. He got his calf dinged early in the GSW series. You can tell he is getting more confident because the move left and spin back to the middle of the paint is coming back. You have to plant off that bum wheel to get it with any quickness and hes starting to go to it again.

If Manu can ever return to form with his shot and/or Tiago quits being a snatch-patch going to the hole then we will be hard to beat. Leonard has found his stroke again. Green has been money for most of the year even with that slump in the last few weeks of the regular season.

FuzzyLumpkins
05-19-2013, 06:42 PM
Not peaking. Memphis shouldn't be this far. If OKC were healthy they would have been here instead.

If Griffin hadn't gotten the high ankle sprain then they might not have been here either. Bloody overrated.

DarrinS
05-19-2013, 06:46 PM

You didn't like the ball movement today?

I think my favorite play was, KL miss from 3, DG rebound, pass to TP at the key, who passes to a cutting KL.

Mr. Body
05-19-2013, 07:16 PM
If Griffin hadn't gotten the high ankle sprain then they might not have been here either. Bloody overrated.

I think so, too. Of course things could change. But everyone was looking at 1) Memphis beating SAS two years ago; 2) Memphis beating OKC this year; and not being able to make adjustments to expectations about how situations have changed. Beating a #1 seed Thunder is NOT impressive if they are missing by far their second most important player.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-19-2013, 07:18 PM
Let's face it, our Spurs have struggled since March. They got worse and less healthy the later it got in the season. We may have been lucky to have pulled the super awful Lakers in the first round considering how bad the Spurs were playing. Then we face off against the Warriors and they look unstoppable in the first two games before we finally pull it together.

As that series wound down, we started to crush them more and more. . .and now the "favored" Grizzlies just got curb stomped by our Spurs in game 1.

Is our team finally peaking at the right time? Or were the last 3 games just flukes? I think if we win comfortably in game 2 and take one of the two in Memphis. . .it might just be a good indicator the Spurs are peaking at the perfect time.

It's a big "if", but I agree. During the second half of game 5, game 6 of the Warriors series, and then tonight, we've looked more and more like the team that stormed through the first 70 games of the season. Win 2 of the next 3 and I'll be convinced we're peaking at the right time.

Robz4000
05-19-2013, 07:24 PM
Maybe - but you really think in a WCF game with his career winding down and having a last shot at a ring possibly he would be disinterested?

IMO he didn't look bad to me. The entire time he was in the game the Spurs were rolling for the most part, so he didn't have to get too involved offensively. He was pretty solid on D tho. If Game 2 ends up being a nail-bitter I think he'll step up his game.

ducks
05-19-2013, 07:26 PM
duncan was not needed spurs were hitting outside shots

DPG21920
05-19-2013, 07:30 PM
IMO he didn't look bad to me. The entire time he was in the game the Spurs were rolling for the most part, so he didn't have to get too involved offensively. He was pretty solid on D tho. If Game 2 ends up being a nail-bitter I think he'll step up his game.

Well, I agree he looked better today than he did in the last couple games against GS, but still did not look great. I also know that he was a big part in letting MEM get within 6 (IIRC it was around 3 minutes left in the third when they made their run), he was then subbed out for Bonner/Splitter . SA then went on a sizable run to push the lead back to double digits.

He played a solid defensive game for the most part and did good work on the glass but with how bad he looked last series at the end I am definitely concerned. I don't think the Spurs need him to score to win against MEM, but in conjunction with Tiago not scoring and some 3's maybe not falling, Spurs need Tim to be more of a factor in general.

lefty
05-19-2013, 07:31 PM
Good question

I guess that the intensity of the GSW series had them going

They are pissed

td4mvp21
05-19-2013, 07:32 PM

I agree. I don't think he looked disinterested or tired. Duncan's never had a problem taking a back seat if he isn't needed to generate offense.

Robz4000
05-19-2013, 07:44 PM
Well, I agree he looked better today than he did in the last couple games against GS, but still did not look great. I also know that he was a big part in letting MEM get within 6 (IIRC it was around 3 minutes left in the third when they made their run), he was then subbed out for Bonner/Splitter . SA then went on a sizable run to push the lead back to double digits.

He played a solid defensive game for the most part and did good work on the glass but with how bad he looked last series at the end I am definitely concerned. I don't think the Spurs need him to score to win against MEM, but in conjunction with Tiago not scoring and some 3's maybe not falling, Spurs need Tim to be more of a factor in general.

The Dubs were just a horrible matchup for him in general. When he's forced to be mobile on defense and he has to deal with a physical defender like Bogut, who historically gives him fits, he's bound to be exhausted at some point. Compounded with the lack of rest, I'm surprised he was able to contribute in Game 6, even with as little as he could give in the second half.

The Grizz, while being a better defensive team and more physical team-wise, really won't be throwing that sort of game at him. Gasol isn't as physical as Bogut, and Duncan has performed better against him, especially this season. He also has someone he can reliably shut down in this series on the defensive end in Zbo, and by doing so he'll really hurt a Grizz offense already terrible as it is. IMO as the series goes on we'll see a steady improvement in his game as he gets a bit more rest and plays an opponent where he can utilize his strengths.

DPG21920
05-19-2013, 07:49 PM
Hope so.

TheGoldStandard
05-19-2013, 07:50 PM
Spurs finally put together a complete game defensively and offensively, Manu/Duncan didn't look so good on offense but they did pass well and create shots. I think we'll win this series in 5.

Chris16
05-19-2013, 08:39 PM

How do you know this? OKC historically struggles against Memphis and almost went down 3-1 against them in 2011 with a better team. The only difference is that if Westbrook played OKC would've probably won Game 5, but Memphis would've finished them off in 6.

TampaDude
05-19-2013, 08:45 PM
If today is any indicator at all, this should be a short series...5 games, max. The Grizzlies have a great defense (today's flogging notwithstanding), but do not have the firepower to stay with the Spurs if they shoot like they did today. Knowing the Spurs, though, I expect them to lay an egg at least once in this series. We'll see. The Spurs will still win the WCF, though.

GO SPURS GO!!!!!

Sean Cagney
05-19-2013, 08:48 PM
Duncan and Ginobili don't look good, and Parker's dominance fluctuates from game-to-game, but the role players are peaking and finally looking like they did last year, tbh..

Leonard and Green are playing great basketball on both ends of the floor..

Splitter, Bonner and Diaw have been playing well..

Cory Joseph has been absolutely solid, especially defensively..

Neal has been horrible, but he had a decent game today, maybe that will get him going..

If Duncan and/or Ginobili can start producing consistently, then I'd say the Spurs are peaking..

Duncan had another double double, how is that not playing good? He is not playing bad by any means. He can do better yes, but for Gods sakes he is 37 lol. I agree on the rest though, good post.

Legacy
05-19-2013, 11:52 PM
The Spurs only had 2 days of rest from The GSW series to come back and play game 1 vs. The Grizz in the WCF. They were out there playing SUPER Spurs Ball or something. They took A LOT of things with them playing against those young little bitches at GS. You could just see it... they were still in full-on defense/attack mode... running those fat-ass Grizzlies ragged :lol ... even becoming somewhat of a 3-pt. shooting threat, obviously. I believe it carried over. Let us just hope and pray it continues.

Legacy
05-20-2013, 12:00 AM
:repost: :sleep

... Sorry, I iz somewhat tired, lol.

John B
05-20-2013, 12:27 AM
I think both Lakers and Warriors series were good preparations to play the Grizz. Duncan, Splitter, Diaw and even Baynes had to bang bodies with supposedly the best frontline in the NBA. While Green and Kawhi improved their lock-on defense against Curry and Thompson. And not only on defense, offensively we hung with GSW. So yes I think Spurs are peaking the right time, and especially because of the match-up they had in the earlier rounds. But even more, I notice they have that look in their face, especially TP when they won last in 2007. That focus. I have a great feeling about the Spurs' chances this year.

Budkin
05-20-2013, 12:47 AM
Tbh it all started when we signed T-Mac.

703 Spurz
05-20-2013, 08:55 AM

Huh? The Spurs convert like 75% of their shots off assists. Hubie Brown was trying to erect his dick over that fact.

dbreiden83080
05-20-2013, 09:04 AM
On defense they are IMO.. This is a better defensive team than last year..

Mr. Body
05-20-2013, 01:18 PM
How do you know this? OKC historically struggles against Memphis and almost went down 3-1 against them in 2011 with a better team. The only difference is that if Westbrook played OKC would've probably won Game 5, but Memphis would've finished them off in 6.

How can you say 'How do you know this?' and then make a claim that is far more preposterous?

Tbiggums47
05-20-2013, 05:52 PM

Is our team finally peaking at the right time? Or were the last 3 games just flukes? I think if we win comfortably in game 2 and take one of the two in Memphis. . .it might just be a good indicator the Spurs are peaking at the perfect time.Yes, they are beginning to peak at the right time.....We are gonna be tough to beat..Can you say FFFFFFFFFive Championships? Can you say healthy? Can you say we are the REAL # 1 seed...Who sacrificed wins for health? Pops patience is now beginning to pay off!......

spurraider21
05-20-2013, 06:21 PM
tim hasn't really had an exceptional all around game since game 3 of the warriors series, and even there, he wasn't exceptionally efficient (though 10-21 is pretty solid). he had to battle dwight/pau in round 1, battled bogut in round 2, and is now dealing with marc and z-bo, so its possible all the physicality is taking a toll on him. but his struggles against bogut bothered me, although that probably had a lot more to do with what GSW was doing on the offensive end. Tim's scoring punch would be more needed against Miami than anybody though

DPG21920
05-20-2013, 06:29 PM
It's not just Tim either, although his level of play represents the largest drop off from the regular season (where he was other worldly). The Spurs offense as a whole has struggled mightily for a while now (yesterdays explosion not withstanding).

NRHector
05-20-2013, 06:31 PM
I hope so too

Solid D
05-20-2013, 07:29 PM
"Yes!!!" [with my inside voice]

Kidd K
05-20-2013, 07:38 PM
Yes, they are beginning to peak at the right time.....We are gonna be tough to beat..Can you say FFFFFFFFFive Championships? Can you say healthy? Can you say we are the REAL # 1 seed...Who sacrificed wins for health? Pops patience is now beginning to pay off!......

I'd love it if the Spurs ended up being the five time. . .five time. . .FIVE TIME champions!

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs1/1862011_o.gif

Chris16
05-20-2013, 09:02 PM
How can you say 'How do you know this?' and then make a claim that is far more preposterous?

Memphis matches up well with OKC, and in the last 2 years it's been easier for Memphis to win on OKC's road than the other way around. OKC's biggest flaw in the playoffs has always been playing great defensive teams.

The Mavericks were a great defensive team in 2011. Result=Mavericks 4-1

The Heat were a great defensive team last year. Result=Heat 4-1

The Grizzlies are a great defensive team this year. Result=Grizzlies 4-1

OKC having Westbrook may have extended the series to a Game 6, but that's it. OKC had a better team in 2011 yet the Grizzlies gave them all kinds of problems, and Memphis had no playoff experience at the time.

Robz4000
05-22-2013, 12:12 AM
The Dubs were just a horrible matchup for him in general. When he's forced to be mobile on defense and he has to deal with a physical defender like Bogut, who historically gives him fits, he's bound to be exhausted at some point. Compounded with the lack of rest, I'm surprised he was able to contribute in Game 6, even with as little as he could give in the second half.

The Grizz, while being a better defensive team and more physical team-wise, really won't be throwing that sort of game at him. Gasol isn't as physical as Bogut, and Duncan has performed better against him, especially this season. He also has someone he can reliably shut down in this series on the defensive end in Zbo, and by doing so he'll really hurt a Grizz offense already terrible as it is. IMO as the series goes on we'll see a steady improvement in his game as he gets a bit more rest and plays an opponent where he can utilize his strengths.

Definite improvement tonight, though the foul trouble was annoying as hell. Worked out in the Spurs' favor in the end.