PDA

View Full Version : Coach Hollins: he was most worried about Bonner on 2nd unit

YoMamaIsCallin
05-19-2013, 06:04 PM
As reported by Hubie Brown, Hollins said "Bonner" when asked pre-game who on the Spurs 2nd unit worried him most.

weebo
05-19-2013, 06:06 PM
Manu? He carved up the vaunted Memphis defense pretty good.

HarlemHeat37
05-19-2013, 06:13 PM
Theoretically, Bonner is the correct answer..obviously, Bonner isn't usually the most clutch player, though..

They have guys to throw at Manu(Pondexter, Allen, Prince), but none of their bigs can come out to contest Bonner's shot(Arthur in 2011, sure, not now)..

Spurminator
05-19-2013, 06:16 PM
Good. I'd rather they keep a man on Bonner at all times to space things out vs. leaving him open and packing the middle like teams have done the last few years. I still don't trust him to hit the wide open 3's consistently in the Playoffs.

SenorSpur
05-19-2013, 06:18 PM
Good. I'd rather they keep a man on Bonner at all times to space things out vs. leaving him open and packing the middle like teams have done the last few years. I still don't trust him to hit the wide open 3's consistently in the Playoffs.

...and for good reason too.

Still, I give him credit for having a good Game 1.

Fabbs
05-19-2013, 06:28 PM
As reported by Hubie Brown, Hollins said "Bonner" when asked pre-game who on the Spurs 2nd unit worried him most.
Yeah right. That's why Memphis left him without a defender within 12 feet on his treys. :rolleyes
We were up by at least a dozen on all made ones too.

Viva la Bonbon nonetheless! :toast
It's major playoff progress.

Obstructed_View
05-19-2013, 06:41 PM
There are your average NBA looks for three pointers, there are wide open threes, and then there are the threes Matt Bonner got today. Like Magic said, he had time to check his feet and spin the ball to the seams before shooting. If you give those to Bonner, he's going to average 60-70% of them over the long haul. I'll trust Bonner to hit those until about two years after he retires. There wasn't even anyone running at him on some of those and he was catching them in rhythm. That's like shooting in the gym at practice with an assistant coach feeding you.

BTW, :LMAO at this thread title. How did the conversation go:

Hollins: I'm worried.
Assistant coach: Don't worry. We've got the game plan all mapped out. Chase the ball handler around with two people.
Hollins: I'm worried about Matt Bonner.
Assistant coach: But he's going to be 25 feet from the basket with nobody near him. There's nothing to worry about.
Hollins: Okay, but I'm still worried.

YoMamaIsCallin
05-19-2013, 07:21 PM
Good imaginary conversation, but it was a pregame conversation between Hubie and Coach Hollins. This is a pretty standard thing I think to have happen.

cd98
05-19-2013, 07:26 PM
Bonner has answered the call this year so far. Hard to complain about his performance in the first two rounds. Maybe he's trying to rewrite his playoff rep.

Obstructed_View
05-19-2013, 07:47 PM
Good imaginary conversation, but it was a pregame conversation between Hubie and Coach Hollins. This is a pretty standard thing I think to have happen.

Yeah, I know. The point is that Hollins went into the game worried about a three point shooter who got a half-dozen three point shots with nobody in his zip code.

TheGoldStandard
05-19-2013, 07:53 PM
Good sign that our guys hit shots when they were wide open, they were pretty aggressive too they didn't just settle. Happy that Kawhi did the same, shot in rhythm and didn't hesitate.

ginobilized
05-19-2013, 08:10 PM
Puzzling gameplan for a shooter you are supposedly worried about. Gm 1 seemed like Pop playing chess and Hollins playing checkers.

Obstructed_View
05-19-2013, 08:57 PM
Puzzling gameplan for a shooter you are supposedly worried about. Gm 1 seemed like Pop playing chess and Hollins playing checkers.

You worded it far better than I did. Thank you.

ChumpDumper
05-19-2013, 09:05 PM
Perhaps he was worried because they planned to leave Bonner open the way the Spurs left someone like Pondexter open. Difference was it worked for the Spurs.

ginobilized
05-20-2013, 12:29 AM
You worded it far better than I did. Thank you.

Thanks! I can't wait for game 2.

Stabula
05-20-2013, 12:34 AM
http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a544/Magindam/burgerman_zpsb5d67ffe.jpg (http://s1283.photobucket.com/user/Magindam/media/burgerman_zpsb5d67ffe.jpg.html)

Russ
05-20-2013, 12:35 AM

Hollins probably remembers Game 1 of the '11 series when Bonner hit a three at the end to almost steal the game back for the Spurs.

Sean Cagney
05-20-2013, 12:38 AM
Bonner has answered the call this year so far. Hard to complain about his performance in the first two rounds. Maybe he's trying to rewrite his playoff rep.

Last round he was not good and did not get many minutes, bad matchup. LA round one his style! He thrived there. This series? I hope he thrives here. Against a fast athletic team though like GS he was odd out there, could not cover their guys and did not fit that series. I hope this round he continues his LA onslought.

John B
05-20-2013, 12:49 AM
I'm also worried every time the Red Mamba take it to the floor and finish with his sky hook…

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-20-2013, 12:50 AM

Bonner has never had a problem shooting when playing with a significant lead. He's a great marksman as a front runner.

It's those tight playoff games (or games where the Spurs are down and need something, anything) where Red Mamba usually starts to look like a shriveled up earthworm balled up at the three point line.

Stabula
05-20-2013, 04:00 AM
I agree it's nice to see someone on the court who isn't a chocolate face

Capt Bringdown
05-20-2013, 04:22 AM
Bonner has never had a problem shooting when playing with a significant lead. He's a great marksman as a front runner.

It's those tight playoff games (or games where the Spurs are down and need something, anything) where Red Mamba usually starts to look like a shriveled up earthworm balled up at the three point line.

Amazingly accurate for an Aggie.

Darkwaters
05-20-2013, 04:31 AM
It's a good thing you said usually, because it was Bonner who answered when they cut it to 6.

I'm pretty sure it was Manu that stretched it back to 9 with his made 3. Could be wrong, but I definitely don't think it was Red Rocket.

chapnis
05-20-2013, 05:53 AM
I'm pretty sure it was Manu that stretched it back to 9 with his made 3. Could be wrong, but I definitely don't think it was Red Rocket.
It was Manu, Bonner got it out to 13 or something afterward.

buttsR4rebounding
05-20-2013, 06:14 AM
Hollins probably remembers Game 1 of the '11 series when Bonner hit a three at the end to almost steal the game back for the Spurs. Bonner actually hit 2 threes in the last 90 seconds of that game to give the Spurs a 2 point lead until 19% 3 point shooter Zach Randolph buried the game winner for the Grizz.

YoMamaIsCallin
05-20-2013, 07:29 AM
I agree it's nice to see someone on the court who isn't a chocolate face

Racist much? I don't think the basketball cares about the skin tone of the guy shooting it. Nor the scoreboard.

BTW didja notice that Bonner's man tried to iso on him a number of times and Bonner didn't do too bad on D? He's not as easy any more as they think.

Spur|n|Austin
05-20-2013, 07:42 AM
Racist much? I don't think the basketball cares about the skin tone of the guy shooting it. Nor the scoreboard.

BTW didja notice that Bonner's man tried to iso on him a number of times and Bonner didn't do too bad on D? He's not as easy any more as they think.

I wouldn't pay mind to that weirdo, have you seen the pictures he posts regularly?

Obstructed_View
05-20-2013, 10:46 AM

If you're going to point out why it's an anomaly, probably better to cite the Memphis defense, or lack thereof. Bonner was open nearly every time down the floor, and even on the Spurs' layups there was nobody within twelve feet of him. Watch the highlights, it's insane. There's simply not a situation where we wouldn't give Bonner a dozen shots like that with nobody near him. Even on a bad day he'll can three or four of them.