PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Need to Keep the Appropriate Fear

timvp
05-19-2013, 06:13 PM
Great game, obviously. One of the top two or three best games the Spurs have played this season.

But, big picture wise, they just held serve. Bonner is never going to outplay Randolph again in this series. The shooting was also especially on. Everything went about as perfect as possible.

This Game 2 could very well be what decides the series. The Grizzlies will come roaring back. The Spurs will have a natural letdown after today's perfection. This should be expected but can't be used as an excuse.

That said, keep this ish up. Please, please prove me laughable wrong. A Game 1 win against a team that is now 0-3 in Game 1s doesn't really move the needle ... but this serves as the blueprint on how to have success.

Get Game 2.

Believe.

Spurminator
05-19-2013, 06:14 PM
Yeah we need a lot more offense from the bigs in Game 2 and on. We can't expect the 3's to fall like they did today.

Stabula
05-19-2013, 06:15 PM
lol @ the "Believe" after all the latest suicidal posts.

EricB
05-19-2013, 06:16 PM
If they're going to give wide open threes like that...

siraulo23
05-19-2013, 06:16 PM
exactly

although a totally different series

remember clips-grizz game 1 http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201304200LAC.html, grizz also got blown out

spurs have to take care of game 2 and go from there

Spurminator
05-19-2013, 06:20 PM

We've lost a lot of series the last 20 years because we failed to hit wide open threes.

Russ
05-19-2013, 06:23 PM
Yep, the last time the Spurs were up 1-0 in the WCF, they lost four of the next five and lost 4-2.

The last time they were up 2-0 in the WCF, they lost four in a row and lost 4-2.

The last time Memphis was down 0-1 in a series, they won four straight and took the series 4-1.

The last time Memphis was down 0-2 in a series, they won four straight and took the series 4-2.

Time to change all the above. :toast

Floyd Pacquiao
05-19-2013, 06:27 PM
yea even tony mentioned this at the post game presser...he said theres no one happy in the locker room and that we were up 2-0 last year and still lost so we got a long way to go...

Stabula
05-19-2013, 06:27 PM
This Game 2 could very well be what decides the series.

No it won't. If the Spurs take game 2 then naturally that's huge because any playoff win against a strong team is huge but game 2 will by no means be the crucial must-win all-or-nothing game to decide the series.

RD2191
05-19-2013, 06:28 PM
Eh, Zbo has been a non factor vs the Spurs in 5 games this season. Today may have been a fluke on Bonners part but the defense on Zach was not. He may play better but I think Pop has him figured out on defense. And if not for Pondexter 3s the Spurs probably would of won by 30+ easily. Lets not forget that Pop also has adjustments to make.

polandprzem
05-19-2013, 06:30 PM
Fear is not the word.
Professionalism is.

Game 2 is needed as hell. Let's see how free the grizz gonna leave out shooters and pick and poppers

Spurs and Mavs fan
05-19-2013, 06:32 PM
Yep, the last time the Spurs were up 1-0 in the WCF, they lost four of the next five and lost 4-2.

The last time they were up 2-0 in the WCF, they lost four in a row and lost 4-2.

The last time Memphis was down 0-1 in a series, they won four straight and took the series 4-1.

The last time Memphis was down 0-2 in a series, they won four straight and took the series 4-2.

Wow, didn't know that.

It'll have to take a 3-0 series lead to feel comfortable about this series.

TD 21
05-19-2013, 06:42 PM
Duh.

The only time I worry about this being an issue is when they think the team they're playing can't beat them (like the Warriors series). Luckily, there's every reason to think that's not the case here. Besides, with how close they are to the Finals, to how they're never getting a better opportunity to get back, to how disappointed they've been the past two playoffs (and the fact that one of the two came at the hands of this team), to a 3 day break awaiting them after game 2, I don't see cause for concern. That doesn't mean they can't lose, just that it won't be because they didn't "keep the appropriate fear".

Obstructed_View
05-19-2013, 06:47 PM
We've lost a lot of series the last 20 years because we failed to hit wide open threes.

Not really. The Spurs have lost a lot of playoff series trying to generate wide open threes. There's a difference between an offense that goes inside and kicks out to punish the defense vs an offense that runs plays trying to get guys open for jumpers.

2centsworth
05-19-2013, 06:47 PM
How can we not fear an overwhelming favorite?

Obstructed_View
05-19-2013, 06:48 PM
Fear is not the word.
Professionalism is.

Exactly this. The Spurs play their game and show up for 48 minutes and they get days off to prepare for the finals. If the Spurs read their own press clippings, come out flat or think they can just sleepwalk through this series they're in for a rude awakening.

HarlemHeat37
05-19-2013, 06:49 PM
Duh.

The only time I worry about this being an issue is when they think the team they're playing can't beat them (like the Warriors series). Luckily, there's every reason to think that's not the case here. Besides, with how close they are to the Finals, to how they're never getting a better opportunity to get back, to how disappointed they've been the past two playoffs (and the fact that one of the two came at the hands of this team), to a 3 day break awaiting them after game 2, I don't see cause for concern. That doesn't mean they can't lose, just that it won't be because they didn't "keep the appropriate fear".

I agree..

The post-prime Duncan Spurs have had a penchant for choking, but I'm optimistic, tbh..

Last year was probably the best thing that could have happened for this year's version of the Spurs..it serves as a reality check and motivator, they can't get too comfortable..

Budkin
05-19-2013, 06:53 PM
Hope this win doesn't go their heads. Tends to happen a lot to the Spurs.

letmk
05-19-2013, 07:08 PM
When Tony said "nobody is happy in the locker room since we were up 2-0 against OKC last year," I know this team is focused. As long as everybody stays healthy, I believe the Spurs will prevail even though the Grizzlies will not play this bad again.

Budkin
05-19-2013, 07:11 PM
Sounds like the Spurs know this is it. They are not going to blow it.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-19-2013, 07:15 PM
Yup, Spurs need to realise that everything went right on this night but that the job will only be done when 3 more wins are in the bank... and then another 4 after that!

However, the great sign from this game is that our bigs can slow down theirs, our guys got lots of rest, and we didn't even have to put Kawhi/Danny on Conley, which we'll no doubt see in closer games.

letmk
05-19-2013, 07:17 PM
Yup, Spurs need to realise that everything went right on this night but that the job will only be done when 3 more wins are in the bank... and then another 4 after that!

However, the great sign from this game is that our bigs can slow down theirs, our guys got lots of rest, and we didn't even have to put Kawhi/Danny on Conley, which we'll no doubt see in closer games.

I believe and think that the 'rest' Kawhi/Danny get from defense in this series might give them more legs on offense.

G-Nob
05-19-2013, 07:20 PM
A couple of grizz adjustments: 1. look for zbo to catch the ball further away from the paint. He still has a jumper and if the spurs choose to double, he can kick it easier than in the paint. 2. Hollins found something that worked in the 3rd and 4th but didn't go back to it: Inside out repost on gasol. fronting gasol made it difficult but rotating the perimeter man fixes that. 3. Coupon may see a start in this series. Game 2 would not be a surprise. 4. The grizz will turn Allen into a driver, especially if the only other driver is Conley.

DejuanorwhatDude
05-19-2013, 07:20 PM
They will stay back on the shooters next game. Tim and Tiago have to keep them guessing.

adonis827
05-19-2013, 07:23 PM
The Spurs has lost 4 in a row before and the Grizzlies are perfectly capable of stringing that much wins. So the Spurs should not have a letdown until their tough opponent is finished.

exstatic
05-19-2013, 07:31 PM
Great game, obviously. One of the top two or three best games the Spurs have played this season.

But, big picture wise, they just held serve. Bonner is never going to outplay Randolph again in this series. The shooting was also especially on. Everything went about as perfect as possible.

This Game 2 could very well be what decides the series. The Grizzlies will come roaring back. The Spurs will have a natural letdown after today's perfection. This should be expected but can't be used as an excuse.

That said, keep this ish up. Please, please prove me laughable wrong. A Game 1 win against a team that is now 0-3 in Game 1s doesn't really move the needle ... but this serves as the blueprint on how to have success.

Get Game 2.

Believe.
Like I said in another thread: throw out the shooting, if Memphis is sitting on 72 with 5 minutes left, we're going to win most of those games.

You can't control shooting, but you can control defense and defensive effort. That's why Pop hangs the Spurs hat on it, and has for 16 years.

jmanu20
Thanks to the Grizzlies lack of shooters (Pondexter's 5 treys were a fluke), I feel more comfortable with the Spurs building larger leads against them than I did with the Warriors.

YoMamaIsCallin
Timvp, two things.

1) I don't imagine in my wildest dreams the Spurs will have any problem having appropriate fear. They are well coached, they remember all too well the comeback the Thunder laid on them last year, and they are very aware that a game 2 loss completely undoes what happened in game 1. As Parker said in the post game, "we haven't done anything. There's a long way to go." With a muted French sigh and eye roll.

2) it's all about adjustments. The Spurs committed their bigs to defense and rebounding, as soon as the Grizz started rotating out on Duncan after the mid 1st quarter. The bigs don't have to score big if they can hold down Gasol and ZBo like they did. Now if the Grizz figure it out and get their bigs going, the Spurs will have to counter adjust. If the Grizz start taking away the 3, the Spurs will have to go back to feeding the bigs and try to get their bigs in foul trouble. It's going to be interesting.

Mr. Body
05-19-2013, 07:34 PM
Spurs lost focus in the 2nd half and let the score get down to 6. Fortunately Memphis is not explosive offensively, so those lags may be hugely expensive, but that shouldn't happen again.

exstatic
05-19-2013, 07:36 PM
Yeah we need a lot more offense from the bigs in Game 2 and on. We can't expect the 3's to fall like they did today.

We didn't win with threes, they just made it comfortable. We won by suffocating their stodgy offense to death, one possession at a time. We turned Gasol into a large white Diaw who refused to shoot most of the time.

Mugen
05-19-2013, 07:41 PM
I think Pop won't let them get too comfortable after this game. Last year's WCF and the Game 2 against the Warriors should prove motivation enough to not let up tbh.

adonis827
05-19-2013, 08:13 PM
Bonner is never going to outplay Randolph again in this series.

Why not? Bonner is our all star and look at how he totally outplayed Dwight in the first round series.

InRareForm
05-19-2013, 08:17 PM
GOing from Warriors threated offfense to Grizzlies offense has to help the mindset of the defense for the Spurs, and the job much easier on the perimeter.

DMC
05-19-2013, 08:20 PM
Timvp seeing it for what it is, without all the distractions from homerish takes and the desire to lean one way. The Grizz have everything you want for a big run other than knock down 3pt shooters. Tell me something they don't have. Anyone who thinks that this is the year defense doesn't win championships is smoking something.

exstatic
05-19-2013, 08:36 PM
Timvp seeing it for what it is, without all the distractions from homerish takes and the desire to lean one way. The Grizz have everything you want for a big run other than knock down 3pt shooters. Tell me something they don't have. Anyone who thinks that this is the year defense doesn't win championships is smoking something.

The top 3 defensive efficiency teams are still active: IND, MEM, SAS. Miami is 7th.

When you flip the coin, only the top offensive efficiency team, Miami, is still active. The Spurs are 7th. Memphis is 18th.

We've got the defense, they don't have the offense. Do the math.

capek
05-19-2013, 09:09 PM

adonis827
05-19-2013, 09:18 PM

Get Game 2.

Believe.

The top 3 defensive efficiency teams are still active: IND, MEM, SAS. Miami is 7th.

When you flip the coin, only the top offensive efficiency team, Miami, is still active. The Spurs are 7th. Memphis is 18th.

Smothering defense might not be enough without a decent offense (IND and MEM). But we will see what happens in the conference finals and then again after the finals.

JR3
05-19-2013, 09:35 PM
I know that one win doesn't mean we dominate them all series....however I saw enough to believe that the needle has indeed moved. From The posts on here in the last few days you would think that the game would at least have been close today. Lets be realistic with our own capabilities even despite how good the grizzlies are. Our defense against the lakers front line is coming in handy now. Our shooting is coming back around. It had do given our horrible shooting in the second round. In my opinion the needle has moved and the Spurs are a force because they are clicking on both sides of the court now.

therealtruth
05-19-2013, 10:15 PM

Pretty much. I think the GSW series showed that even without offense the defense will keep us in games. I think that's the biggest difference between Spurs teams of the past few years. The defense was still a work in progress last playoffs.

100%duncan
05-19-2013, 10:18 PM

This tbh. It's not like "it's just that day" kinda thing. Our guys were wide open the whole game.

That said, GSG. Spurs in 5.

td4mvp21
05-19-2013, 10:23 PM
When the Spurs offense is clicking, it's too strong for the Grizzlies' defense. Will the offense be this good over the course of the series, though? It's been inconsistent so far against inferior defenses - what will happen against an elite defense like Memphis'? That's the big question.

Brazil
05-19-2013, 10:23 PM
Serie is far from over tbh

Brunodf
05-19-2013, 10:26 PM
They will stay back on the shooters next game. Tim and Tiago have to keep them guessing.
This tbh

DieHardSpursFan1537
05-19-2013, 11:04 PM
Game 1 was a mighty fine win and it was so entertaining to watch. But Spurs have to come into Game 2 with the same mentality and energy level. And they will.

NO LIMIT ARMY COMMANDER
05-19-2013, 11:07 PM
HOYA here. Just as the Warriors were an overall weaker team who posed matchup problems, the Grizzlies are a strong team with whom the matchups favor the Spurs.

Spurs in 5.

Whisky Dog
05-19-2013, 11:24 PM
HOYA here. Just as the Warriors were an overall weaker team who posed matchup problems, the Grizzlies are a strong team with whom the matchups favor the Spurs.

Spurs in 5.

Yes, GS wasn't a weak defensive team at all, but their strengths with a dominant post defender and shot blocker and length on the wings to put on Parker (who aren't no tread left old Prince) were a tougher defense against what the Spurs want to do. Plus the GS offense or even just the threat of it put pressure on the Spurs shooters/offense that Memphis can't unless the Spurs just start turning it over like crazy.

Matchups tbh

John B
05-20-2013, 12:02 AM
Griz would be closing in on 3's on game 2. Time for the bigs to get busy inside. Even Diaw needs to pound Zach inside and get him working both sides of the court. I like Splitter defense. But somebody needs to close in on Gasol on those 20 footers. He can make those. All in all, Spurs played great and should keep the foot on Grizz neck. That said I didn't like the foul on Bayless late in the game. No freebies. Just good old beating please.

Ice009
05-20-2013, 12:09 AM

They're probably going to try not to give up any threes next game and see if we can beat them inside. Spurs gotta be ready and keep it up.

Sean Cagney
05-20-2013, 12:14 AM

I never came into any series as a fan looking at any of that past stuff, different teams and different days and time, new chapters written no matter what happened this year, last year or ten years ago on this 0-2 or 1-1 or 2-0 stuff! Write a new chapter and hopefully a positive one!!!!!

FuzzyLumpkins
05-20-2013, 12:19 AM

It's not just 'knock down 3 pointers.' It's have no perimeter game at all.

Conley is shooting 38%. That is beyond shitty especially when you consider how often he is taking layups. Allen is a brick in a basketball jersey and Prince is the embodiment of TOSB. Just don't double off Pondexter and crowd the paint. You saw it happen.

Our bigs give Randolph fits. A lot of his misses cannot be attributed to him playing a shitty game. He cannot shoot over the top of them and our guys don't go for ball fakes. That's why he was chucking shit 20 ft in the air and getting blocked.

And for having 'everything you could want' they could not keep our guys out of the lane on pnr. It was either layups or WIDE WIDE OPEN 3's.

T Park
05-20-2013, 12:19 AM
They're probably going to try not to give up any threes next game and see if we can beat them inside. Spurs gotta be ready and keep it up.

Im sure Tony Parker, Manu, Duncan, and Tiago will love the open lanes....

LongtimeSpursFan
05-20-2013, 12:21 AM

If Memphis decides to stay with the shooters at the three point line then that is going to leave the lane wide open. Parker or Ginobili with a big trying to stay with them on a PNR is going to be an easy layup OR now you have Splitter (who is an excellent on going to the rim) will have a small on him. Those are easy pickings. Memphis only real choice is to send the player guarding Parker or Ginobili under the screen then hoping neither can hit the outside jumper. Of course there are several ways the Spurs can counter a defense in which the defender goes under the screen such as ball movement. Either way I think this is what is different from 2011. The addition of Splitter and Diaw (and the resurgence of Duncan) combined with our much better three point shooting and athleticism on the wings has created so many more lanes and defensive movement that is very difficult to play team defense against this years Spurs. In 2011, and immobile Duncan, aging McDyess and ineffective Bonner were easy to defend. These three caused no weak side defensive help thus Tony was forced to pretty much play against a zone defense. Memphis may make some adjustments that may help but I just don't think they have what it takes. They are what we are a couple of years ago when we played them.

T Park
05-20-2013, 12:21 AM
If the Spurs can put another good size whipping on them in 2, the three days off are going to really mess with their heads.

Makes me almost harken back to the Trail Blazers of 99...

05-20-2013, 12:22 AM
Grizzlies will adjust for sure. Their defensive schemes were perplexing. They didn't need to pay so much attention to the Big 3... the Warriors let the Big 3 shoot as much as they want and it worked pretty well defensively. Duncan/Parker/Ginobili aren't capable of all getting 20+ points at the same time anymore. Letting the role players get going is very dangerous.

On the offensive end, I definitely give the Spurs defense credit. It was handled very well. But watch out for Zbo to bounce back and have a monster game.

T Park
05-20-2013, 12:24 AM
Grizzlies will adjust for sure. Their defensive schemes were perplexing. They didn't need to pay so much attention to the Big 3... the Warriors let the Big 3 shoot as much as they want and it worked pretty well defensively. Duncan/Parker/Ginobili aren't capable of all getting 20+ points at the same time anymore. Letting the role players get going is very dangerous.

Im very confident Duncan if given more room to score will score. Also Manu, is slow getting out of the slump. He wasn't half bad today. Maybe I'm wrong, but, he's close.

Parker looks great and only played 31 mins. Should be very fresh for Tuesday.

Legacy
05-20-2013, 12:47 AM

:lol

Budkin
05-20-2013, 01:04 AM
If the Spurs can put another good size whipping on them in 2, the three days off are going to really mess with their heads.

Makes me almost harken back to the Trail Blazers of 99...

Hah I'm still shocked that we swept the Blazers that year. They were tough as nails until the Memorial Day miracle and then we just steamrolled them.

Sean Cagney
05-20-2013, 01:32 AM
Hah I'm still shocked that we swept the Blazers that year. They were tough as nails until the Memorial Day miracle and then we just steamrolled them.

That game broke their damn heart! If they win that game that one could have went 6 or 7, but when Elliott hit that damn three they were done! They gave up falt out and mailed it in and said no way we win this. I have never seen a team lay down like that after two games on the road, they did though and I don't expect the Grizz to do it . I did not expect the Warriors to do it either after game one! I knew they would come back and they did.

ShoogarBear
05-20-2013, 04:50 AM
I think one big move the Griz make for game 2 is putting Tony Allen on Parker. While Allen's only 6'4", he's still in the mode of rangier guys that sometimes give TP problems. Also Conley is more likely to stay home Green behind the arc.

Spursfanfromafar
05-20-2013, 05:15 AM
What the Grizz would do is to make adjustments in their offense. They will move the ball more to get the Spurs defenders busy and then attempt the high-low in the later period of the shot clock. They will not just try to dump the ball to Randolph. Spurs have to be more attentive and not be rash with their defending. They have done a fantastic job and I guess Pop will keep them primed for more.

On offense, the Grizz will try to be more aggressive on Parker without doubling-tripling him and expect the others to beat them by shooting them off. The rest of the offense beyond Parker must be ready to take the cue and mix it up beyond jump shooting. Ginobili will again be very key in the next game.

DMC
05-20-2013, 05:46 AM
How soon we forget that the Spurs looked like total shit in the 1st two games of round 2 and got destroyed in game 2. If you used the same joy joy feeling about that series as this, you'd conclude that the Warriors would be playing in the WCF now.

They will play better and we will play worse. Both have to happen based on the law of averages.

However, look at the bright side: Tim did not have a great game, not even a decent one by his standards. Tiago didn't do anything. Our two bigs did basically nothing in the paint. Once Memphis closes out on 3pt shooters, those two have to make them pay. For some reason Memphis thought it was best to gang defend the paint, and you can bet it wasn't by accident. Hollins acted like it wasn't supposed to happen that way but the entire team doesn't collectively decide to run a game plan they never heard in the lockerroom or practice. Hollins needs to step up to his failure in that regard.

DMC
05-20-2013, 05:51 AM
What the Grizz would do is to make adjustments in their offense. They will move the ball more to get the Spurs defenders busy and then attempt the high-low in the later period of the shot clock. They will not just try to dump the ball to Randolph. Spurs have to be more attentive and not be rash with their defending. They have done a fantastic job and I guess Pop will keep them primed for more.

On offense, the Grizz will try to be more aggressive on Parker without doubling-tripling him and expect the others to beat them by shooting them off. The rest of the offense beyond Parker must be ready to take the cue and mix it up beyond jump shooting. Ginobili will again be very key in the next game.

The difference between Spurs and Grizz in terms of ball movement is that the Grizz ball movement outside the arc is easy to predict, because they have one or two guys on the floor who will even attempt a 3 whereas the Spurs often have 4 guys out there who can shoot from outside. Marc Gasol can hit from outside, but he was a bit passive last game. The Grizz will use ball movement just to get the ball into the post, and the post player has limited options, not much in the way of a kick out for a 3 (but some). What they will do is get 2nd looks and tip ins. They'll get to the line more for that reason. Marc and Zbo shoot FTs good enough to hurt us.

703 Spurz
05-20-2013, 08:53 AM
Hope this win doesn't go their heads. Tends to happen a lot to the Spurs.

Have you not heard Parker's comments about how no one is satisfied yet?

Obstructed_View
05-20-2013, 10:48 AM
I think one big move the Griz make for game 2 is putting Tony Allen on Parker. While Allen's only 6'4", he's still in the mode of rangier guys that sometimes give TP problems. Also Conley is more likely to stay home Green behind the arc.

If they do that, Manu should get inserted into the game early. The last thing you want is Danny Green handling the ball.

T Park
05-20-2013, 10:48 AM

I agree, I just don't know if he's quick enough to keep up. Also, if Randolph is involved in the PNR that negates it as well too no?

Budkin
05-20-2013, 11:01 AM
Have you not heard Parker's comments about how no one is satisfied yet?

Yes I posted this before I heard that. Very good sign.

Budkin
05-20-2013, 11:03 AM

I did not understand why they didn't start off like that. Tony is the head of the snake. Thought they would go the Sefalosha route.

DejuanorwhatDude
05-20-2013, 12:05 PM
Considering Memphis has no competent shooters is Patty Mills an option to spread the floor?

T Park
05-20-2013, 12:06 PM
Patty Mills is atrocious defensively, so no.

DejuanorwhatDude
05-20-2013, 12:09 PM
Point well taken lol

T Park
05-20-2013, 12:27 PM
As for keeping the appropriate fear, it's a perfect scenario. Two years off the embarrassing loss to these Grizzlies, plus losing the four in a row to OKc LAST year, they have plenty of motivation to stay grounded and motivation to stay at a high level.

pikkiwoki
05-21-2013, 12:05 AM

Zach Lowe suggested moving Allen to the bench and starting Bayless. Bayless would hide on defense by guarding Green, while Allen would come off the bench to guard Manu. The idea is to minimize the amount of time Tayshaun and Allen are on the floor at the same time, as them being non-factors on offense kills the Grizz' spacing.

Obstructed_View
05-21-2013, 12:21 AM
I'm all for an adjustment that takes their best player off the floor to try to get more jump shots. Sounds very Popesque.

Also, I'm saying Popesque now.

Budkin
05-21-2013, 12:51 AM
As for keeping the appropriate fear, it's a perfect scenario. Two years off the embarrassing loss to these Grizzlies, plus losing the four in a row to OKc LAST year, they have plenty of motivation to stay grounded and motivation to stay at a high level.

Agreed. If these guys haven't learned from what they've gone through from the last several playoffs, they never will. I don't think we need to worry.

ShoogarBear
05-21-2013, 01:00 AM
I'm all for an adjustment that takes their best player off the floor to try to get more jump shots. Sounds very Popesque.

Also, I'm saying Popesque now.

Why you gotta bring religion into this?

Obstructed_View
05-21-2013, 01:04 AM
Popavichian?

Poptastic?

Popportunistic?

ShoogarBear
05-21-2013, 01:07 AM
Popavichian?

Almost there.

I think Popavellian is perfect.

ShoogarBear
05-21-2013, 01:14 AM
Popalicious works as a change-of-pace.

ManuTastic
05-21-2013, 07:05 AM
Two things that will happen:
1-Conley's D on Parker will get a lot better (or they'll put Allen on him).
2-Z-Bo's offense will get a lot better too.

Spurs must anticipate and adjust for that. Conley is not going to let Parker run hog-wild again.

sventhedog
05-21-2013, 07:10 AM
would be more satisfied if the spurs win an ugly game.

Old School 44
05-21-2013, 08:07 AM
I have a feeling there will be some very hard fouls dished out by the Grizzlies to our guards, particularly Manu and Tony. I wouldn't be surprised if someone on Grizzlies gets ejected. My money's on Tony Allen.

Budkin
05-21-2013, 08:10 AM
As long as we win I don't care how we do it.

Horse
05-21-2013, 12:54 PM
Everyone is talking offense but their defense is key. The plan was executed to perfection and D is all effort, they can continue to do this.

Horse
05-21-2013, 12:55 PM
I also think this is one of the teams we don't have to worry about the Spurs staying motivated for.

Spursmania
05-21-2013, 02:34 PM
The Spurs are going to kick some more ass tonight. They have the right amount of respect for this foe, especially since the Grizz knocked them out two years. They haven't forgotten and this series is all about redemption and retribution for the silver and black.

Budkin
05-21-2013, 02:58 PM
The Spurs are going to kick some more ass tonight. They have the right amount of respect for this foe, especially since the Grizz knocked them out two years. They haven't forgotten and this series is all about redemption and retribution for the silver and black.

Yes I believe this whole series they will be focused on revenge for 2011. You'll see them going all out, tonight especially. Gotta keep that home court cushion.

moisaenz
05-21-2013, 03:00 PM
Memphis needs to win one on the road... If they do not win today, Game 5 is going to be tough if they come back to San Antonio.

T Park
05-21-2013, 03:59 PM
I have a feeling there will be some very hard fouls dished out by the Grizzlies to our guards, particularly Manu and Tony. I wouldn't be surprised if someone on Grizzlies gets ejected. My money's on Tony Allen.

They aren't like that nor that kind of team.

T Park
05-21-2013, 04:00 PM
Memphis needs to win one on the road... If they do not win today, Game 5 is going to be tough if they come back to San Antonio.

If the Spurs win tonight by double digits again, this series is over in 5.

moisaenz
05-21-2013, 04:02 PM
If the Spurs win tonight by double digits again, this series is over in 5.

If its a blowout again, we could sweep since our core players would rest again.

T Park
05-21-2013, 04:15 PM
If its a blowout again, we could sweep since our core players would rest again.

Memphis too good to sweep.

moisaenz
05-21-2013, 04:55 PM
Memphis too good to sweep.

Yeah they are pretty good, and most probably Spurs role players will cool down, but Spurs can win close games and I do not think they could lose by a blowout..

GSH
05-21-2013, 05:36 PM

Get Game 2.

Believe.

A loss in Game 1 would have been a disaster for the Spurs. It doesn't signify much for the Griz.

Over the years, when the Spurs have had a game where everything was falling, they have shot the ball miserably in the next one. The good news is that they have still managed an impressive number of ugly wins on those miserable-shooting nights. Also, Game 1 wasn't one of those games when everything they looked at went in. They made a lot of 3's, but that was mostly because they were left wide open - not so much because they had some magical shooting night.

I agree that Bonner can't/won't outplay Randolph for a series. But as long as he's not a complete pylon, like a few years ago, and if he bodies up enough to at least make Z-Bo earn them from the line instead of giving him and-1's, he'll have done his part. The one thing Matt did well in Game 1 was to deny Randolph the ball by moving his feet really well. Randolph is going to try to combat that by being much more physical - count on it. There's always a chance that if Bonner keeps up the good footwork, he'll force Randolph into a few fouls, trying to get position. If the zebras are calling the contact underneath, it could allow Bonner to get the best of the matchup a second time.