PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Offense: A tip of the cap to CIA Pop

Obstructed_View
05-19-2013, 07:32 PM
Thought this deserved its own thread, because it's a big deal for this team.

Anyone notice how the Spurs' defense has kind of struggled at times over the last few months? Remember how it was chugging along in December? Remember how they killed teams with a pick and roll that nobody could defend? Wonder where that went? So did I. I've openly questioned Pop for going away from something that's so effective and dominant against everyone.

Today's game suggests that perhaps there was a method to this madness.

I noticed it during the game, and the ESPN crew was actually smart enough to notice this in the postgame talk. Magic asked if Pop was playing possum. I think there's a possibility he's right.

That pick and roll game is back in full force. Maybe it was just the energy of the players, maybe it was the hustle. Maybe it was the rebounding and defense, but it sure looked like the offense that Pop decimated teams with earlier in the season.

Maybe it was the three pointers, but those weren't just open three pointers. "Wide open" just doesn't tell the story. Pop calls a timeout and screeches like my third-grade teacher when the Spurs leave a player that open. Guys can get benched for several games if it happens twice. The Grizzlies left the Spurs that open a couple dozen times. How could the Spurs NOT shoot 25 three pointers in the game? In a lot of cases, the Spurs took the three even though the offense had worked for a fair-quality two point shot. It was pick-your-poison for Memphis, and both outcomes were going to end up looking pretty much the same.

But Hollins said at halftime that wasn't the defense he wanted. Something did that to them. Something the Spurs did turned the best defense in the NBA into the 2002 Dallas Mavericks.

I think it was that pick and roll game. I think it's been there all along, Pop made sure all his starters and subs knew it back and forward, then he rolled it up and put it in his pocket, only using it once in a while for the rest of the season while the Spurs sat under the radar, gaining their wind, resting their injuries, and biding their time as the insurmountable gap between them and every other team in the west not from Oklahoma gained ground and confidence. After all, Memphis split the series with San Antonio. Nobody ever checks the box score to see who was sitting.

Very recent Spurs teams were built for the regular season and flamed out in the playoffs. Pop really looks to have turned that formula around this year. The first indication that the Spurs had a separate playoff game plan was Manu Ginobili going from turnover-king to John Stockton in game one against the Lakers.

Whoever the Spurs saw in this round was going to get a big fat helping of that offense today with a side-dish of rebounding and no turnovers for dessert. OKC wouldn't have been able to stop it if they had Harden and Westbrook. Anything short of Joakim Noah probably wouldn't have saved them. Memphis simply looked lost and shellshocked most of the afternoon.

Nobody goes back to tape from December to game plan for a playoff series, do they? Maybe Memphis should do exactly that before game 2.

05-19-2013, 07:38 PM
Now if only Tiago could go back to his January form...

BillMc
05-19-2013, 07:45 PM
Now if only Tiago could go back to his January form...

Tiago and Timmy are getting some grief for their offensive performances, but that wasn't their focus here. They were using that energy on defense. Let T wony and our wings score. They just need to keep Marc and ZBo in check. And they did that well tonight.

Obstructed_View
05-19-2013, 07:50 PM
Tiago has not gotten his scoring back, but it's just a matter of time. With the way the Grizzlies are going to honor the three point line in game 2, you might see Splitter score 30 on open rolls to the rim.

TheGoldStandard
05-19-2013, 07:52 PM
Splitter needs to use the glass and not turn his body into the defense that or keep the ball high so he doesn't get stripped. He puts up garbage shots when he gets stuck in the middle of the paint or forces passes when he's afraid to go strong.

05-19-2013, 08:01 PM
Also, it seems like he's been a foul magnet since he entered the slump too.

jehawk81
05-19-2013, 10:14 PM
Ur in the 3rd grade?!? :wow

Darius McCrary
05-19-2013, 10:21 PM
Yeah I thought about your PnR comments when Spurs kept running it over and over.

It really did not make ANY sense for them to just stop doing it. CIA Pop indeed.

Beaverfuzz
05-19-2013, 10:39 PM
Tiago needs to throw it down big man, one time.

Baseline
05-19-2013, 10:55 PM
Tiago needs to throw it down big man, one time.

I think I've seen Parker dunk more often than Tiago. How is that even possible?

DieHardSpursFan1537
05-19-2013, 11:01 PM
CIA Pop in full force here no doubt. The shooting performance today was mind-blowing.

Whisky Dog
05-19-2013, 11:13 PM
Pop knows the Grizzlies are a good defensive team but also knows they don't have a shot blocker inside and that they can exploit that with a lot of pick and rolls/pops. If the Grizzlies don't dig down on them then the Spurs will get a lot of open 5 ft or less shots at the rim. Maybe Memphis starts blitzing the pick and looking to make SA cross the ball weak side to find the open man, hoping they can recover to him. Not sure how they'll adjust but I'm sure they'll change up on the pick and roll strategy.

freetiago
05-19-2013, 11:40 PM
too much credit for Pop
he didnt do anything
the players just sucked after Tony went down in March and multiple guys were dealing with other injuries or looked tired

Spurs just attacked Randolph in the pick and roll since hes so slow
Gasol also likes to play Duncan defense and never leave the paint which opens up the mid range

Memphis has to adjust from playing the 2 worst coached teams in the league that play 1 on 5 every offensive possession to the best passing team in the league
game 2 will be a lot closer once they realize they have to help the helper

Kidd K
05-19-2013, 11:45 PM
That was a good read OP, thanks. Got me more excited to see game 2. :) I'm not sure Pop really shelved it all year just to ambush people with it for a couple games, but I am 100% sure Pop has repeatedly held back strategies and players when we play teams he knows we're likely to face deep in the playoffs.

Pop doesn't get enough credit for not blowing his load on teams in the regular season when it doesn't matter like every other team in the NBA does. Pop gets a lot of shit on here. . .but I suspect it's from people who don't understand that the Spurs are not a super talented team that needs a great strategy, gameplan, and coaching staff to win this much.

There's no other coach in NBA history I'd rather have coach the Spurs right now than Pop tbh.

T Park
05-20-2013, 12:09 AM
You know Pop has shelved some things when one of the Lakers said after game 3 "They ran stuff that we hadn't seen all year nor had any tape on"

Obstructed_View
05-20-2013, 02:12 AM
too much credit for Pop
he didnt do anything
the players just sucked after Tony went down in March and multiple guys were dealing with other injuries or looked tired

Spurs just attacked Randolph in the pick and roll since hes so slow
Gasol also likes to play Duncan defense and never leave the paint which opens up the mid range

Memphis has to adjust from playing the 2 worst coached teams in the league that play 1 on 5 every offensive possession to the best passing team in the league
game 2 will be a lot closer once they realize they have to help the helper
The Spurs didn't run the pick and roll plays, and now they're wearing them out. I don't really know how to explain how the coach makes that happen. The Spurs haven't attacked ANYONE in the pick and roll in months. There was a little here, a little there, but there were games where they wouldn't run it more than a couple of times.

Hell, if there's any real logic to Pop pulling Splitter against Golden State, maybe it's that they ran that play three times in a row and he didn't want them to.

Obstructed_View
05-20-2013, 02:21 AM
That was a good read OP, thanks. Got me more excited to see game 2. :) I'm not sure Pop really shelved it all year just to ambush people with it for a couple games, but I am 100% sure Pop has repeatedly held back strategies and players when we play teams he knows we're likely to face deep in the playoffs.

Pop doesn't get enough credit for not blowing his load on teams in the regular season when it doesn't matter like every other team in the NBA does. Pop gets a lot of shit on here. . .but I suspect it's from people who don't understand that the Spurs are not a super talented team that needs a great strategy, gameplan, and coaching staff to win this much.

There's no other coach in NBA history I'd rather have coach the Spurs right now than Pop tbh.

Thanks, I appreciate the read. I stand by all my criticisms of Pop over the years, which he richly deserves. If he's doing this, it's the first time. The last time he even made an adjustment was to put Jacque Vaughn under the basket against Phoenix.