PDA

View Full Version : What adjustments will the Grizz make?

elec99
05-20-2013, 10:36 AM
I'm just playing devil's advocate here and anticipating what the Grizz might do in the form of adjustments. TIMVP, if you think this posting isn't in the spirit of this board then feel free to delete, no feelings hurt here.....

Offense:
What will they have to do to free up Zbo? Does he have to run off screens, commit some back screens/picks before finding position near the paint? Dwight, when being fronted, would then move over to the opposite side of the court and hope the ball would swing around fast enough to find him. We were good at rotating or finding the help D to front him on that side too.

How will they make us pay for packing the paint? I thought they might start poindexter but looked up his 3pt fg% and it is about 40% compared to 55% last night, so he really played above his level. But like the lakers, you're not gonna become a better shooting team overnight, so it'll be interesting to see how they handle it.

Do they try small ball (again)?

Defense:
If they want to take us out of our high pick and roll game, they're gonna have to involve a 3rd player since I dont see one of their bigs coming all the way out to disrupt tony's movement. But hey, i dont mind if the 3rd defender leaves Green or Kawai to help out, it leaves us open for a shot.

Do they go zone??

If hollins was upset for the help defense leaving our shooters open, and they are gonna stay home in game 2, then that means tony will be allowed to roam the paint even more. If it's gonna be that open then I look for tony to get open looks early on.

elec99
05-20-2013, 10:42 AM
I remember stockton would be notorious for setting back screens, some of them moving screens, to free up karl malone. I expect they may try to do the same to timmy.

Poolboy5623
05-20-2013, 10:45 AM
They're going to make all of those, wide open layups, they missed in game 1...ya know, the ones the Spurs had nothing to do with..

T Park
05-20-2013, 10:45 AM
One adjustment could be Prince or Allen on Parker. Not have so many guys pack the paint. The problem is that they don't have a quick long defender on the perimeter ala a Thabo Sefolosha.

Tony Allen MAY be that guy, but to me he might not be quick enough. The other problem is on the pick and roll you need a pretty swift footed guy on the perimeter to hedge and help, neither Gasol or Randolph are quick a foot to do that. When Gasol and Randolph did come out and get switched Parker blew right by, then that collapsed the paint opening things up for Green and Leonard.

Alot smarter basketball people than me can detail adjustments, but off the top of my head, just telling their perimeter guys not to help in the paint so much, however, thats when Parker Duncan, Ginobili, and Leonard start having bigger games.

T Park
05-20-2013, 10:46 AM
I remember stockton would be notorious for setting back screens, some of them moving screens, to free up karl malone. I expect they may try to do the same to timmy.

Duncan is adept and squeezing through, also even if they did, Randolph isn't quick enough to take advantage, Duncan would still be able to recover. If he's healthy, and right now, he looks solid.

EVAY
05-20-2013, 10:50 AM
I am assuming that Memphis will focus their defense on the passing lanes, disrupting the kick out passes that Tony likes to make that set up our three point shooters.

I thought they would do that in this past game but they didn't. If they do that, they would be successful in getting turnovers and would keep the ball out of the hands of our perimeter shooters. I think that is their best bet against us.

Plus, they will be far more physical than they were in this game, and I think you can count on some pretty heavy fouling going on.

My biggest fear against this team has always been that they would simply kill us physically. I still have that fear.

Captivus
05-20-2013, 11:17 AM
If I had to guess I will say that they have no idea what to do.
When a guy like Zach scores 2 point in 8 attemps you are in trouble. And on top of that TD only scored 6 points and Tiago 1 and no rebounds!
Did Mem lose the big guy battle? Im not sure. They even had more rebounds.
The FG% is the key, and if the Spurs keep moving the ball the way they did, is gonna be hard to Memphis.
I really think the GSW series had a huge impact in the way the Spurs played the first game. Hope they can keep it up.

3Pt:
Bonner 4-6
Kiwi 4-5
Green 3-6

If the Spurs keep this 3PT% it will be impossible for them and probably every team.
IMO: Mem will play almost the same way and assume the Spurs will eventually stop hitting 3s. If they go after the 3pt shooter then TD and Tiago will have more space...what to do? what to do?....

T Park
05-20-2013, 11:25 AM
Thats always been the way this team has operated for years. You want to guard the shooters? Awesome Parker will go to the hole and Duncan will have open lanes.

You want to pack the paint and dare guys like Green, Leonard to hit shots that are wide open? OK.

The Spurs super offense works when guys are hitting the three. When they are thats when plus the ball movement, is when they become unstoppable.

Obstructed_View
05-20-2013, 11:28 AM
Main thing they're going to have to do is play a lot harder from top to bottom. They looked like a team that expected to play at the same level they did against OKC. If they don't pick up their speed and intensity for the whole game, they haven't got a prayer, because there's not an adjustment to make when you let the other team score from inside and outside, plus get rebounds, plus go to the line. I expect the Spurs to be in every game for the most part, but it doesn't mean the Grizzlies can't play a hell of a lot better than they did.

T Park
05-20-2013, 11:32 AM
Maybe more guys flying at players at the perimeter. More zone. That seems to be a go to move when a team struggles defensively against them is to go zone and it usually works, until Diaw comes in, sets up shop at the FT line and starts picking that apart as well.

SouthernFried
05-20-2013, 11:35 AM
I really think the GSW series had a huge impact in the way the Spurs played the first game.

That's what I saw. The Spurs were still in GSW mode...and I like it.

Mel_13
05-20-2013, 11:38 AM
Henry Abbott on how the Spurs exploited Randolph's defense:

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/58423/zach-randolphs-bad-game-dont-forget-the-d

Keepin' it real
05-20-2013, 11:39 AM
Double-team Matty B?

Budkin
05-20-2013, 11:43 AM
If we are hitting shots like we were there is not much they can do about it because Parker will just blow through the lane. If we are missing them we'll have a very tough time winning. As for adjustments I see Tony Allen on Parker and more reversal passes to the top of the key and then quick passes into Gasol who has position. Saw them run in a couple times with success but then they stopped for some reason.

T Park
05-20-2013, 11:45 AM
Main thing they're going to have to do is play a lot harder from top to bottom. They looked like a team that expected to play at the same level they did against OKC. If they don't pick up their speed and intensity for the whole game, they haven't got a prayer, because there's not an adjustment to make when you let the other team score from inside and outside, plus get rebounds, plus go to the line. I expect the Spurs to be in every game for the most part, but it doesn't mean the Grizzlies can't play a hell of a lot better than they did.

Heres the question, and maybe I'm all wet.

Can the Grizzlies do it? Have they done it previously these playoffs?

DarrinS
05-20-2013, 11:57 AM
I look for them to get Zbo started early. They can't afford another game where he's invisible.

Mel_13
05-20-2013, 12:01 PM

They can definitely play better, especially on defense, and they can win the series. I just don't see any easy wins for Memphis because their offense will always struggle to get 90 points, so any wins they get will be close games that will come down to a few possessions in the 4th quarter.

said7
05-20-2013, 12:03 PM
Our second team outplayed theirs. This is a huge advantage. They simply dont have enough offense.

T Park
05-20-2013, 12:05 PM
They can definitely play better, especially on defense, and they can win the series. I just don't see any easy wins for Memphis because their offense will always struggle to get 90 points, so any wins they get will be close games that will come down to a few possessions in the 4th quarter.

While true, how do you adjust to Randolph being terrible guarding the PNR?

Also, if they guard the shooters, how are there not lanes to get to the hole like what happened yesterday?

HarlemHeat37
05-20-2013, 12:10 PM
- Misdirection and screens to put Randolph in a better position to score..

- Try to get Duncan and Splitter in foul trouble..

- Tony Allen on Parker..

- Less Prince, more Bayless and Pondexter..

T Park
05-20-2013, 12:12 PM
- Misdirection and screens to put Randolph in a better position to score..

- Try to get Duncan and Splitter in foul trouble..

- Tony Allen on Parker..

- Less Prince, more Bayless and Pondexter..

More Pondexter? Awesome, if you guard him at the three, thats about all he does. He's pretty much a Danny Ferry right now. Also defensively he is OK, but he seems to like to wander on the perimeter like Green does from time to time.

Mel_13
05-20-2013, 12:15 PM
While true, how do you adjust to Randolph being terrible guarding the PNR?

Also, if they guard the shooters, how are there not lanes to get to the hole like what happened yesterday?

It does look like a pick your poison scenario for them. Hoping for missed shots isn't much of a plan. Taking minutes from Randolph and giving them to Arthur/Davis is possible, but that means trying to win in new way very late in the season.

It's almost as if the Spurs have spent two years altering the team in preparation for this rematch.

HarlemHeat37
05-20-2013, 12:15 PM
Honestly, the most important adjustment for the Grizzlies is to get Randolph going, obviously..

If Randolph isn't putting up an efficient 25 points per game in this series, the Spurs are going to win..he's going to be a liability if he isn't dominating on the offensive end..

K-State Spur
05-20-2013, 12:22 PM
Duncan played Z-Bo for stretches throughout the game. I think this is a matchup that the Grizz will struggle with - Tim's length has always given Randolph some issues around the rim (even in '11, when he was scoring against Tim, it was primarily on longer jumpers). Over the past decade, Tim may have more flat footed blocks vs. Z-Bo than any other big man across the league. Grizz will need Gasol to abuse Splitter when matched up in order to force Duncan off Randolph.

Switching Allen onto Parker and Conley onto Green also seems like an obvious move they could make (not that it will obviously be successful, but there are reasons to think that it could be). But that becomes of a tougher proposition when Manu's in the game and can pull up over the shorter Conley.

If you're a Grizz fan, the crazy thing is that Hollins can make a lot of adjustments that would "work" and may not alter the outcome. If Spurs' defense plays to the standard it is setting, the offense really only needs to break 90 to get the W - and with the weapons, that should happen even if multiple cogs have a bad game.

T Park
05-20-2013, 12:25 PM
It does look like a pick your poison scenario for them. Hoping for missed shots isn't much of a plan. Taking minutes from Randolph and giving them to Arthur/Davis is possible, but that means trying to win in new way very late in the season.

It's almost as if the Spurs have spent two years altering the team in preparation for this rematch.

I'd love Arthur instead of Randolph. What was even funnier when they played small with Randolph at center, they got blown out even worse.

SanDiegoSpursFan
05-20-2013, 12:26 PM
I really really hope Hollins tries to run the Conley-Gasol PnR all game. The less involved Randolph is, the better it is for the Spurs imo. And it won't work as well if Timmy is guarding Randolph, since Splitter is good at guarding the PnR.

If Darrel Arthur doesn't guard Bonner well, there will be less of him. Daye might be seeing more minutes this series. Allen might be seeing fewer minutes if he isn't out there guarding Parker; he made some bad gambles last game.

Mugen
05-20-2013, 12:28 PM
-I'd start Pondexter over Prince to give Z-Bo more room.

-Prince on the bench also gives them more small-ball options. You can take Bonner out of the game with a guy like Prince at the 4.

-More high/low with Gasol/Z-Bo

-Allen on Parker early and prob little to no help off the 3pt shooters.

I want the Spurs to attack the basket early this game because it's almost a given the Grizz are staying home on Green/Kawhi/Bonner. Parker and especially Manu have to attack the rim hard in Game 2.

Mel_13
05-20-2013, 12:29 PM
I'd love Arthur instead of Randolph. What was even funnier when they played small with Randolph at center, they got blown out even worse.

I was shocked to see Memphis go small. That was the clearest sign of how well the Spurs were playing defense.

T Park
05-20-2013, 12:30 PM
I really really hope Hollins tries to run the Conley-Gasol PnR all game. The less involved Randolph is, the better it is for the Spurs imo. And it won't work as well if Timmy is guarding Randolph, since Splitter is good at guarding the PnR.

If Darrel Arthur doesn't guard Bonner well, there will be less of him. Daye might be seeing more minutes this series. Allen might be seeing fewer minutes if he isn't out there guarding Parker; he made some bad gambles last game.

That's Tony Allen though, one on one very solid, but he drifts and makes horrible decisions.

Austin Daye? Please do that.

T Park
05-20-2013, 12:31 PM
I was shocked to see Memphis go small. That was the clearest sign of how well the Spurs were playing defense.

Yeah so was I, I said to my wife, I've NEVER see Memphis sans injuries, play small and just totally go away from how they normally play.

Mel_13
05-20-2013, 12:37 PM
-I'd start Pondexter over Prince to give Z-Bo more room.

-Prince on the bench also gives them more small-ball options. You can take Bonner out of the game with a guy like Prince at the 4.

-More high/low with Gasol/Z-Bo

-Allen on Parker early and prob little to no help off the 3pt shooters.

I want the Spurs to attack the basket early this game because it's almost a given the Grizz are staying home on Green/Kawhi/Bonner. Parker and especially Manu have to attack the rim hard in Game 2.

Going small did force Bonner out of the game to start the 4th quarter. It also didn't work as Diaw plus 4 smalls was better than ZBo plus 4 smalls. Memphis going small is an admission that they can't succeed with what has worked for the last three seasons.

Maddog
05-20-2013, 12:40 PM
Zbo regular season versus the Spurs
4 games
35.8 minutes
14.3 Points
10.0 rebounds
.362 FG%

He is a remarkable player because he is listed at 6'9" but is definitely shorter. Now with Diaw they have 3 players to gusrd him instead of one in 11 (Tim)

T Park
05-20-2013, 12:41 PM
I'd love if they went small with Prince at the four.

Obstructed_View
05-20-2013, 01:08 PM

I'm the wrong person to ask, because I don't think they can. Even before the Spurs were playing well I couldn't figure out how it would take them more than five games to close out the Thunder. The Spurs can be counted on to come out flat and piss away a winnable game. If they're serious about getting to the finals, this thing will be over quickly.

Mr. Body
05-20-2013, 01:08 PM
Maybe sag down on Parker on the screens, both the guy guarding him and the one guarding the screener. If Parker is popping those long threes, at least he's not carving the defense and/or kicking out to better shooters.

Start Pondexter over Prince, get a deep-ball threat out there to open things up more for Randolph.

05-20-2013, 01:35 PM
Grizzlies need their jump shots to connect if they want to open up space. The Spurs are packing the paint and daring the Grizzlies to beat them on the perimeter. The truth is, this strategy is working better than in 2011 when the Grizzlies still had Mayo and Battier. Those two were hitting dagger 3's whenever Zbo or Gasol was swarmed in the inside. Starting Pondexter might be a good idea. But guys like Tony Allen and Prince don't just become 3 point shooters overnight. A long jumpshot, even if it's somewhat open, is still better than Zbo or Gasol overpowering in the post.

On the defensive end, they just need to play better. They have the individual defenders to play one on one defense. Although, the Spurs look pretty good after the Warriors series. The Warriors played out of their minds on defense, every one of their players were long and athletic. It was good practice for the Spurs. If the Grizzlies aren't tight on defense like the Warriors, the Spurs will be glad for every extra inch of air they get.

Mugen
05-20-2013, 01:36 PM
Going small did force Bonner out of the game to start the 4th quarter. It also didn't work as Diaw plus 4 smalls was better than ZBo plus 4 smalls. Memphis going small is an admission that they can't succeed with what has worked for the last three seasons.

If Bonner is going to be able to adequately defend Z-Bo (huge IF of course), then they've got no choice but to go small because Z-Bo can't guard those PnPops. If he's not punishing us offensively then he's a huge liability on the court especially on defense.

Z-Bo's regression from 2011 and the quality bigs we have now is the main reason i liked the Spurs going into this series. I didn't take into account the possibility Matty would outscore Z-Bo 12-2 in Game 1 tho :lol.

Prince is not for this series because he's not the spot up shooter that Battier/Mayo was. He needs post ups and fast breaks to score effectively and he doesn't have anybody to defend in the starting lineup. You put him as a small ball 4 and I think he's more effective. True, it goes away from their style of play but Hollins would be best served to recognize that the Spurs can handle their style.

Mel_13
05-20-2013, 01:42 PM
If Bonner is going to be able to adequately defend Z-Bo (huge IF of course), then they've got no choice but to go small because Z-Bo can't guard those PnPops. If he's not punishing us offensively then he's a huge liability on the court especially on defense.

Z-Bo's regression from 2011 and the quality bigs we have now is the main reason i liked the Spurs going into this series. I didn't take into account the possibility Matty would outscore Z-Bo 12-2 in Game 1 tho :lol.

Prince is not for this series because he's not the spot up shooter that Battier/Mayo was. He needs post ups and fast breaks to score effectively and he doesn't have anybody to defend in the starting lineup. You put him as a small ball 4 and I think he's more effective. True, it goes away from their style of play but Hollins would be best served to recognize that the Spurs can handle their style.

Can't dispute much here, but the Grizz lose if they go small. The Spurs have employed various smallball lineups all year. They know how to play small. Memphis will be learning on the fly and trying to outplay a team that is proficient at that style of play. I believe that their chances of beating the Spurs decrease if they choose to go small for extended periods of time.

Brunodf
05-20-2013, 01:50 PM
They will stay with the shooters, TD/Splitter/Diaw have to keep them guessing

T Park
05-20-2013, 02:02 PM
I'm the wrong person to ask, because I don't think they can. Even before the Spurs were playing well I couldn't figure out how it would take them more than five games to close out the Thunder. The Spurs can be counted on to come out flat and piss away a winnable game. If they're serious about getting to the finals, this thing will be over quickly.

Yeah, they love to do that. Again, though and this may be more hope than anything, that the spurs will due to last year and two years ago, both motivating factors, IMO combing together to form a perfect storm.

doobs
05-20-2013, 02:02 PM
Tony Allen will probably sweep the leg, again.

elec99
05-20-2013, 02:03 PM
Grizz will need Gasol to abuse Splitter when matched up in order to force Duncan off Randolph.

I agree with this but the problem with the gasols is that they're a little soft on set plays. BOTH of them are face up jump shooters, not too difficult for tiago to just stand there and jump with him when he shoots. Even when marc backs you down on the baseline its for the purpose of a fadeaway jumper! But he didnt try any of those in game 1 that I can remember. The only time marc is a real bruiser is if someone else takes the shot and he crashes the boards for easy put backs, other than that its a jump shot.

So for him to give tiago a beating, like backing him down, it would take marc out of his game. Thats more zbo's game which is why we swarm him but you're right, they need a different kind of game from marc but that would be going away from what they've been doing all season, or the last couple of seasons even.

T Park
05-20-2013, 02:03 PM
Everyone talks about Z-Bo bouncing back for huge games, he may, but, in the regular season he only shot 36%... So even when they weren't playing as good of defense as they are now, they held him to that...

hater
05-20-2013, 02:04 PM
Hopefully whatever adjustments they do won't take until game 3. We need as much leeway cause once Grizz make adjustments, it'll be a whole new series

elec99
05-20-2013, 02:05 PM
or I should say a "shot" because he doesnt really jump....

T Park
05-20-2013, 02:05 PM
Tony Allen will probably sweep the leg, again.

If he gets dumb enough and does something dumb enough hell get suspended and just kill them even worse.

DarrinS
05-20-2013, 02:15 PM
I like this guy's idea

http://boards.grizzliesonline.com/index.php?showtopic=15857&view=findpost&p=579477

Obstructed_View
05-20-2013, 02:24 PM
Tony Allen on Parker is a no-brainer. Danny'd better be ready to shoot if he wants to stay in the game. The Grizz are going to be working on getting steals and strips, so the Spurs need to take good care of the ball and knock down their free throws. Those dumbass, lazy turnovers the Spurs are prone to when they lose focus could be a big deal, because that and rebounding is how Memphis makes up the difference in points.

If the Grizzlies stay at home on the shooters, Duncan and Splitter could feast. I don't know if it's because they came out flat, but Memphis had five fucking guys in the paint and weren't stopping layups. Fat DPOY will earn his money in game 2.

Changing the lineup would be a panic move, and even Pop wouldn't do it after only one loss, no matter how large the margin.

T Park
05-20-2013, 02:27 PM
What makes you take pause, and all their suggestions are solid, the Spurs would have an answer.

Mal
05-20-2013, 02:36 PM
I dont know what Memphis` players capable of, I only saw them couple times. They cant play pick and roll, which Warriors killed Spurs. They cant shoot threes. Z-Bo on iso didnt work. Only thing that comes to mind, is to force more turnovers run some counter attacks, try play more aggressive, shove Parker couple times, stay with 3 point shooters at all costs. Leave Duncan and Gino be, play them go 1on1. Some help D on Parker`s pick and rolls. They will put Pondexter in s5, in place of Prince. Hollins wont sacrifice Allen, even if he is a liability in this series.

I really think Memphis is overrated and they are Spurs` best possible matchup. No up tempo game, no 3pt threat, no pick and roll. I can`t see them winning, unless they play some unreal FG% and be really physical.

Mugen
05-20-2013, 02:38 PM
Splitter can't be passing up layups again, since he'll be getting more opportunities to score in Game 2.

Strategic
05-20-2013, 02:58 PM
I look for them to try to get one or two of the Spurs bigs in foul trouble early. If so it could cause the game to change in the second half in their favor.

Rummpd
05-20-2013, 03:20 PM
I look for them to lose 3 more games and fairly quickly - got to the finals on a gift series vs. the Thunder with a hurt Westbrooke - nothing to see here.

rmt
05-20-2013, 04:21 PM
They'll be sticking to the 3pt shooters in game 2. Time for TP and Manu to penetrate and either get layups themselves or pass to TD and TS for layups.

TrainOfThought5
05-20-2013, 04:26 PM
Double-team Matty B?

Box and 1 for the REAL MAMBA.

GSH
05-20-2013, 05:00 PM
The Griz overplayed Manu on the perimeter in Game 1, which allowed him to dish to some WIDE open 3P shooters. I think they are going to let him shoot from distance all he wants, until he proves that he can start making them.

I look for them to hedge a lot harder on the PnR, and to try and force Duncan to make the shots he's been missing.

I don't think Hollins can stand to go small for prolonged periods. First, they don't have the quickness that GS had, and the Spurs have been pretty effective at playing small-on-small. Second, the two beasts are Memphis' bread and butter. I don't see them abandoning that. Instead, I look for them to just be more Memphis-like, and resort to brute strength. I think one of their best ways to get Z-Bo the ball deep is off of missed shots. I expect to see Conley and Arthur stop and pop from mid-range, earlier in the shot clock, to try and keep the Spurs from setting up for rebounds so that Z-Bo can collect the misses and get some easy ones in the paint.

eric365
05-20-2013, 05:45 PM
When the spurs role player are hitting 3s early, wing defenders adjust during the game and stay home on shooters and then Parker usually have a big game

The great thing about this game 1 is that it was such a good 3pt shooting display that the spurs won't even have to earn it early in game 2 and Parker/Manu will have space from the start of the game

lil'mo
05-20-2013, 09:45 PM
Yeah so was I, I said to my wife, I've NEVER see Memphis sans injuries, play small and just totally go away from how they normally play.
You married now brah?

Spurs4#5
05-20-2013, 09:55 PM
I have a gut feeling grizz take the next 3 games...hope I'm wrong

lil'mo
05-20-2013, 10:34 PM
wtf do you care?

chicago fan!

hey how's derrick rose's leg

crofl

Want her name and #. See if she cheats.

ElNono
05-20-2013, 11:08 PM
Couple of things here...

- I personally think Hollins went small at the start of the 4th more as a test if he could match up if Pop decides to go small than anything. I don't know he's going to stick to that unless it's absolutely necessary for him as a matchup counter.
- As other have said, Allen on Parker will likely happen. Allen is a great one on one defender, but not off the ball. He's basically being wasted guarding Green. I still think Tony can use his speed to produce well enough regardless, but those pick and rolls are definitely going to get a lot more physical.
- Getting ZBo going isn't THAT complicated. They will just use Prince/Allen more to set picks under the basket and free ZBo up closer to the rim. When TA and Prince sit down, they can ISO ZBo in the post and have Conley/Pondexter/Bayless stretching the floor ready to take a 3 if any of their defenders double up. This is actually the biggest treat, in that if Memphis finds a way to score relatively consistently from 3, they can overcome the scoring droughts they normally have. I would be more willing to give ZBo what he can get in this instance than opening the 3 pointer floodgates. Even if Conley/Bayless are not 'great' 3 point shooters.
- Attack the 2-3 zone more effectively. Since they're not great shooters, the other way to do it is with good ball movement and backdoor cuts. The later is something that they can do, but they need to be ready to recognize when the Spurs go zone and be ready to execute. A couple of successive baskets can dissuade the Spurs from keep playing zone and go back to man to man.
- Memphis need to stop the Spurs ball movement. The Spurs have the tendency of calling off a play if it's disrupted as part of the execution, and instead of calling another play, just try to go for either a quick pick and roll or simply an iso (sometimes with a kick if the defense collapses). The way for them to do that is simply doing their work early. Beat the Spurs to their initial offensive spots, and deny the easy pass. Force the Spurs to reset the offense with a reduced shot clock. We see this often enough with the Spurs simply screwing up execution.
- Attack the weak passing players. Somewhat related to the previous point. If Danny Green has the ball, front Duncan and deny the entry pass. Cover Tony so he can't receive a pass out. Make guys like Green or Bonner put the ball on the floor or waste precious shot clock seconds trying to get out of a bind.
- Ultimately, guys like Green/Neal/Bonner will revert to their mean production-wise. You don't want to have to depend on this, but the reality is that if that were not the case, the Grizzlies likely have no shot at winning this.

pgardn
05-20-2013, 11:13 PM
If we move the ball around and hit our open shots like game 1 they are in trouble because they have horrible individual movement with Randolph and Gasol. I expect them to play much more physically on the perimeter. Lots of shoving to disrupt our off the ball movement.

They really were not ready for the huge upgrade in team play after getting rocked to sleep by OKC doing the same thing relentlessly. Durant ad nauseum is over.

ShoogarBear
05-20-2013, 11:23 PM
Historically, the most reliable way to stop the Spurs' offense is to gum up Tony with a bigger guy. Tony Allen fits the bill, and that role is more to Allen's liking. Prince is also a possibility for a few minutes, although he's past his prime where he could be expected to it for long stretches. if the Griz can do that, the whole dynamic obviously changes with regards to the 3 pt shooters and it coud get ugly, like it always does. That could be all that's required to compensate for a PnR defense that is, as many have pointed out, surprisingly bad given the Griz' overall defensive numbers.

Similarly, once you make Parker's work harder on offense and Conley's easier on defense, it could free up Conley on the other end. Z-Bo knows he's got to be more aggressive and he's a crafty bag-o-tricks guy.

I think the Spurs naturally come out running the same PnRs to see if Memphis has learned anything, but they have to have a Plan B on the chance they have (and also on the likelihood that no matter what, they aren't going to hit a FR number of three again).

Obstructed_View
05-20-2013, 11:26 PM
In game 1, the few times Allen ended up on Parker he was shat upon. Parker's not 100 percent yet and he had his way with everyone. The Grizzlies might just trap Parker to get him to give up the ball.

Obstructed_View
05-20-2013, 11:28 PM
Also, forgot to mention, Fat Gasol is going to have to stop standing around on offense. How many people saw him go right at Duncan to score the first layup of the game and thought "it's gonna be a long day"?

ezau
05-20-2013, 11:40 PM

Bingo

ElNono
05-20-2013, 11:52 PM
Forgot to mention in my previous post, but yeah, the overplaying the P&R from Memphis will likely stop next game. That's stuff that worked against OKC/Clippers, but the Spurs are actually a well oiled machine when it comes to P&R offense, and trying to cheat coverage isn't going to work. They'll have to simply play it straight up and focus on keeping a body in front of the ball handler. In other words, make Tony/Green/Neal make shots instead of layups.

Obstructed_View
05-21-2013, 12:20 AM
Forgot to mention in my previous post, but yeah, the overplaying the P&R from Memphis will likely stop next game. That's stuff that worked against OKC/Clippers, but the Spurs are actually a well oiled machine when it comes to P&R offense, and trying to cheat coverage isn't going to work. They'll have to simply play it straight up and focus on keeping a body in front of the ball handler. In other words, make Tony/Green/Neal make shots instead of layups.

Good call. It looked to me like nobody bothered to tell Memphis they weren't playing Kevin Durant and the Cancun Kids anymore.

T Park
05-21-2013, 07:02 AM
You married now brah?

Yup since December 2010.

exstatic
05-21-2013, 07:32 AM
Maybe more guys flying at players at the perimeter. More zone. That seems to be a go to move when a team struggles defensively against them is to go zone and it usually works, until Diaw comes in, sets up shop at the FT line and starts picking that apart as well.

Didn't they already give up enough offensive rebounds to us last game. Zone essentially surrenders the defensive glass.

exstatic
05-21-2013, 07:58 AM
- As other have said, Allen on Parker will likely happen. Allen is a great one on one defender, but not off the ball. He's basically being wasted guarding Green. I still think Tony can use his speed to produce well enough regardless, but those pick and rolls are definitely going to get a lot more physical.
LOL, Connolly. LOL All Defensive team guard.

Frankly, LOL their entire defense with THREE All Defensive team players.

polandprzem
05-21-2013, 08:01 AM
Historically, the most reliable way to stop the Spurs' offense is to gum up Tony with a bigger guy. Tony Allen fits the bill, and that role is more to Allen's liking. Prince is also a possibility for a few minutes, although he's past his prime where he could be expected to it for long stretches. if the Griz can do that, the whole dynamic obviously changes with regards to the 3 pt shooters and it coud get ugly, like it always does. That could be all that's required to compensate for a PnR defense that is, as many have pointed out, surprisingly bad given the Griz' overall defensive numbers.

Similarly, once you make Parker's work harder on offense and Conley's easier on defense, it could free up Conley on the other end. Z-Bo knows he's got to be more aggressive and he's a crafty bag-o-tricks guy.

I think the Spurs naturally come out running the same PnRs to see if Memphis has learned anything, but they have to have a Plan B on the chance they have (and also on the likelihood that no matter what, they aren't going to hit a FR number of three again).

UR still there my fiend.

Definitely I can see Grizzlies play more physical and more inside! Put spurs into foul trouble early and then often. Zach is there to come back for a big game. he can demolish the spurs shooting and killing the board. Spurs fans got to comfortable after just one win which was far from easy even seeing at the final score.
If the hi-lo will not be effective both froncorters can score from midrange and can be delivered down low from different angle.
Conley is still a good match against TP. Grizz can put Allen on TP to see how the spurs react and esp Green on offense being guarded by a smaller guy. Mike also will bounce back and can kill the spurs with aggression, everybody forgot how he toyed with the spurs 2011.
Chess match there again. Isos on a bigger player which is guarded by Manu, /ex. 4down Prince/.
This next game is huge to take more peaceful series.

T Park
05-21-2013, 09:26 AM
Didn't they already give up enough offensive rebounds to us last game. Zone essentially surrenders the defensive glass.

As I said after that, that seems to be the go to move by teams when they struggle defensively against them. Who knows if they do it.

polandprzem
05-21-2013, 10:17 AM
Spurs a capable of breaking zone D and tbh NBA teams do not have gr8 zones. But they /this type of D/ give you different looks. So we'll see

spursince#99
05-21-2013, 10:33 AM
In game 1, the few times Allen ended up on Parker he was shat upon. Parker's not 100 percent yet and he had his way with everyone. The Grizzlies might just trap Parker to get him to give up the ball.

Warriors tried that game 5 and 6 but it didn't work

Obstructed_View
05-21-2013, 10:41 AM
Warriors tried that game 5 and 6 but it didn't work

The Warriors were a lot closer in the 4th quarter than Memphis was.

Beaverfuzz
05-21-2013, 10:48 AM
Not leave Spurs 3 point shooters that wide open, that's what they're going to do.

dbestpro
05-21-2013, 12:17 PM
I am assuming that Memphis will focus their defense on the passing lanes, Plus, they will be far more physical than they were in this game, and I think you can count on some pretty heavy fouling going on.

This