PDA

View Full Version : Tim Duncan: Only 4pts & 3 Rebs more than Z-Bo

tmtcsc
05-20-2013, 01:15 PM
Lost amid all the praise for what the Spurs were able to accomplish in Game 1, was Tim Duncan's performance. True, he had 4 assists to go along with his points and rebounds but he had a very sub-par game. I'm glad we didn't need offense from him yesterday but when those 3's don't fall, he's going to have to score more than that.

It's not lost on me that he played pretty good defense too. He did things in which there are no revealing stats. -- Other than Z-bo's limited effectiveness.

The Spurs played so well, so early and got contributions from so many different people that Memphis wasn't sure what to do on defense. And if they knew what to do, they didn't execute. Let's hope they forget about Duncan in Game 2 and he tears them up.

Blake
05-20-2013, 01:26 PM
Who knew Gasol would have more points than Tim, Z, and Splitter combined

DesignatedT
05-20-2013, 01:30 PM
Didn't run much through him. He took some shots that were somewhat out of his comfort zone but he did play good defense and worked the glass well. He needs to hit his shots but defense and rebounding is key and it was good to see him play well on that end.

Kidd K
05-20-2013, 01:33 PM
Yeah but ZBo shot 12.5% and only wasn't 0% because he got a cheapie putback going over someone's back late in the game when they were down pretty big already. Duncan shot 33.3% and was one make from 44.4%. Duncan also had 4 assists, 2 blocks, and only a SINGLE foul while holding ZBo to a pathetic 2 point game and managed to avoid picking up bogus fouls on Gasol's flop attempts early in the game.

Defense on ZBo is more important than scoring on Gasol for Duncan. I would happily take that Duncan game every single time if it means that's all ZBo does. Btw, Duncan also kept the Grizzlies off the offensive boards for most of the game too, which very heavily hurts their offense.

I want Duncan focusing his energies on the defensive end. If Duncan can consistently help stop their offensive rebounding and stop one of their best 2 players defensively, the Grizzlies have nearly no chance to win any game unless they get some flukey shooting.

weebo
05-20-2013, 01:34 PM
Duncan is needed more for his defense and rebounding. Anything we can get from him offensively is an added bonus.

moisaenz
05-20-2013, 01:48 PM
It is better for the team to depend on Duncan defensively, than offensively. Sometimes he tries too hard in the post, or hesitates on his shooting when he is our last hope to score.

Obstructed_View
05-20-2013, 01:49 PM
Duncan had zero shots in the paint. A game where you blow a team out twice and don't need scoring in the post is gravy on the potatoes.

DPG21920
05-20-2013, 02:25 PM
It also shows how the Spurs have the role players to overcome that. If 1 of MEM top 3 players lays an egg (Zbo, Gasol, Conley) it's really tough for them to score enough points even with their tremendous defense.

HarlemHeat37
05-20-2013, 02:30 PM
Duncan playing Randolph to a draw = Spurs win every time, tbh..

As DPG said, Memphis doesn't have the offensive players to overcome a shitty game from Z-Bo..

If Randolph isn't scoring an efficient 25 points in this series, Spurs will win..

Obstructed_View
05-20-2013, 02:35 PM
Duncan playing Randolph to a draw = Spurs win every time, tbh..
I'm sort of okay with the Spurs winning this series without Duncan breaking much of a sweat. Should they be fortunate enough to get to the finals, Duncan's going to have to go til the wheels fall off.

Strategic
05-20-2013, 02:40 PM
Looking at the box scores for the game it appears that the Spurs inside game failed. I think it is just an indication that the team didn't need TD and TS to work on offense. The outside game was lethal. I'm good with it!

spurraider21
05-20-2013, 02:44 PM
Z-Bo has to outplay Timmy for the Grizz to stand a chance. i'm fine with Tim barely outscoring zach tbh.

Mugen
05-20-2013, 02:57 PM
Timmy putting up big scoring numbers nowadays usually means the Spurs offense is struggling tbh.

BillMc
05-20-2013, 03:00 PM
They executed the game plan well and didn't have to go inside to Timmy. Really no problem with his using his energy on D.

Mal
05-20-2013, 03:41 PM
Both teams were preprared for battle inside. Spurs won battle outside.

boutons_deux
05-20-2013, 03:47 PM
Tim shot varies from game 2 game.

Soft with higher arc, money in the bank.

hard and flat, ugh.

dbreiden83080
05-20-2013, 04:01 PM
Well if you watched the game there was no need for him to force anything as we killed them from the outside kicking it out to the shooters.. Game 2 he will likely need to be more aggressive..

Biernutz
05-20-2013, 04:03 PM
This is no excuse for Tim but the knee he has trouble with looks like it is tight. He seems to drag that leg at times. Don't know if you can see it on TV but i can see it from my seat ...

dbreiden83080
05-20-2013, 04:04 PM
I'm sort of okay with the Spurs winning this series without Duncan breaking much of a sweat. Should they be fortunate enough to get to the finals, Duncan's going to have to go til the wheels fall off.

If they get to the finals I expect Duncan to horribly outplay Bosh Spice.. You take a champion like TD and tell him "This is your last chance at glory" he will likely knock you the fuck out..

GSH
05-20-2013, 04:10 PM
My memory of the last time the Spurs faced Memphis in the playoffs is that the Spurs got plenty of stops - it was the second chance points that totally killed them. In Game 1, the Griz didn't get many second-chance points. Tim was responsible for a lot of that. Even when he didn't get the rebound himself, he held off Z-Bo and allowed another Spur to come down with it. Just another thing that doesn't show up on Tim's stats, but was a HUGE part of the Spurs' success.

When perimeter shooters are loose, they are a lot more accurate. And when they know that their bigs are going to clean up a lot of their missed shots, it lets them play loose. The thing feeds on itself. IMO, maintaining parity with Memphis on the boards is probably the single most important element for the Spurs. Limiting turnovers is right up there, but those second chance points are demoralizing.

tmtcsc
05-20-2013, 04:12 PM
Another nice thing about game 1 is that Tony had a solid, all-round game and not one where he went off and took the majority of shots and makes. That is definitely fools-gold. His big bursts of offense (like in Game 3 - vs GS) are great but not sustainable and leads to others not getting involved. Sometimes it works out ok but other times, not so much. That was definitely a positive to me. Our bench really stepped up and produced big.

Every game is different. Perhaps Tiago and Tim get more points tomorrow and keep Z-Bo and Gasol in foul trouble. You just have to take the wins any way you can get them.

mando6599
05-20-2013, 04:14 PM
Duncan is needed more for his defense and rebounding. Anything we can get from him offensively is an added bonus.

Sounds a lot like what we expect from Splitter, right?

spurraider21
05-20-2013, 04:29 PM
Sounds a lot like what we expect from Splitter, right?
in different series, roles are different. depends on the opponents. i think the spurs feel comfortable in our backcourt vs their backcourt as far as scoring punch. if their presumed advantage is with their bigs, and we just do what we can to shut them down, it bodes well for us.

and when you try to defend a guy like ZBo who tries to play ymca ball with his size, girth, strength, it takes a lot of wind out of ya. rather timmy continue to focus on that end. won't be nearly as much an issue in a potential nba finals series, unless the pacers do somethin crazy

Obstructed_View
05-20-2013, 10:04 PM
Looking at the box scores for the game it appears that the Spurs inside game failed. I think it is just an indication that the team didn't need TD and TS to work on offense. The outside game was lethal. I'm good with it!

Which is why looking at box scores is a big fat fail. The Spurs' dribblers got to the rim at will throughout that game. Somehow Memphis managed to collapse their defense chasing Parker and Ginobili and still managed not to stop anything. On the made layups by the Spurs guards in the game there was always at least one three point shooter completely uncovered.

DarrinS
05-20-2013, 10:15 PM
It was one of the best executed games I've seen -- and I've seen plenty.

And when the Grizz adjust and stay with outside shooters, I can only imagine this will allow Tim and Tiago to score down low. Spurs are probably a real pain in the ass to defend.

Obstructed_View
05-20-2013, 10:25 PM
It was one of the best executed games I've seen -- and I've seen plenty.

And when the Grizz adjust and stay with outside shooters, I can only imagine this will allow Tim and Tiago to score down low. Spurs are probably a real pain in the ass to defend.

Just re-watched the first half, and Memphis had four guys in the paint and STILL allowed layups. It's embarrassing how bad they were. I certainly hope for their sake that they have about two extra gears, because strategy changes aren't going to save them, it'll just allow Splitter to score 25 points and get his Stella back.

jesterbobman
05-20-2013, 10:58 PM
Tim Duncan was quiet because the spurs rarely went to him, or used him in a Pick and roll situation when Gasol was guarding him. Even if Tim could score somewhat effectively against Gasol, it's a far better option to take Gasol out of the game defensively by plonking Duncan away from the hoop with Gasol on him and attacking Randolph. If Duncan doesn't attempt many shots, and you end up with open 3's or Parker attacking Randolph in the paint(Zach is not exactly a premier shot blocker) the spurs will be pretty happy, as while Duncan is a pretty good mid range shooter, it's probably the best shot to give up to the Spurs, open layups or 3's are far worse.

ShoogarBear
05-20-2013, 11:06 PM
Just re-watched the first half, and Memphis had four guys in the paint and STILL allowed layups. It's embarrassing how bad they were. I certainly hope for their sake that they have about two extra gears, because strategy changes aren't going to save them, it'll just allow Splitter to score 25 points and get his Stella back.

I had to laugh when I saw this picture on mysa. Three guys wide open on the arc, and tbh if Duncan was cutting hard TP could still have probably also hit him for a layup.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/files/2013/05/parker-penetration.jpg

racm
05-21-2013, 01:30 AM
It also shows how the Spurs have the role players to overcome that. If 1 of MEM top 3 players lays an egg (Zbo, Gasol, Conley) it's really tough for them to score enough points even with their tremendous defense.

Pondexter went HAM and the Grizz lost by 22, tbh

racm
05-21-2013, 01:34 AM
I had to laugh when I saw this picture on mysa. Three guys wide open on the arc, and tbh if Duncan was cutting hard TP could still have probably also hit him for a layup.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/files/2013/05/parker-penetration.jpg

Tbh I think they were simply applying the OKC defense on Parker, the problem is that a Spurs open shooter is far better than a Thunder open shooter not named Derek Fisher