PDA

View Full Version : Cavs to re-sign Ilgauskas

Kori Ellis
07-11-2005, 08:41 PM
Cavs to re-sign Ilgauskas
Sports Ticker

7/11/2005 9:16:03 PM

CLEVELAND (Ticker) - Days after the Cleveland Cavaliers made waves with a marquee free agent signing, Zydrunas Ilgauskas reportedly has elected to remain with the club.

According to a report in Monday's Cleveland Plain Dealer, Ilgauskas will sign a five-year deal worth up to $60 million on July 22, the first day free agents can sign according to the NBA's collective bargaining agreement.

The report comes three days after the Cavaliers agreed to terms with guard Larry Hughes, one of the top prizes on the free agent market after a stellar season with the Washington Wizards.

The 30-year-old Ilgauskas, who has played all seven of his seasons with Cleveland, averaged 16.9 points and 8.6 rebounds in 78 games last season. He led the NBA with 299 offensive rebounds, ranked sixth with 165 blocks and was selected to the Eastern Conference All-Star team for the second time in three years.

After suffering through myriad foot injuries early in his career, the 7-3, 260-pounder has been a constant presence in the middle for the Cavaliers. Ilgauskas has missed just six games over the last three seasons and has increased his minutes in each campaign.

In 413 career games, the Lithuania native has averaged 14.9 points and 7.7 rebounds.

timvp
07-11-2005, 08:45 PM
Ouch.

Ferry is proving to be very un-Spur like. He's throwing huge money at players who don't appear to be championship quality. Ilgauskas is a nice center, but he's a poor defender and has an injury riddled past.

I think he should have gone after a younger center like Steven Hunter or Dan Gadzuric -- who would have cost like 1/4th as much.

Kori Ellis
07-11-2005, 08:46 PM
Well they are good friends (Z and Ferry) so he wasn't going to leave him out in the cold. I didn't think he'd re-sign for this much though.

Johnny Tightlips
07-11-2005, 08:46 PM
i ain't sayin' nothin'

Nikos
07-11-2005, 08:52 PM
I agree that Iggy is injury prone, but he is not a bad player by any means. It's not like he is the centerpiece of the team, he still is a presense on offense and on defense to some degree (although as a one on one defender he may be poor).

Kori Ellis
07-11-2005, 08:54 PM
With signing Hughes and Z, their cap space is dwindling fast. I think they had an estimated $28M to start with. They probably have about $6-7M left.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-11-2005, 08:55 PM
IF he's healthy he's one of the better centers in the league. That's a big 'if' though.

This is about the going rate for the "better" centers in the league, and about what I expected Ferry to come up with.

strangeweather
07-11-2005, 09:02 PM
Ouch.

Ferry is proving to be very un-Spur like. He's throwing huge money at players who don't appear to be championship quality. Ilgauskas is a nice center, but he's a poor defender and has an injury riddled past.

I think he should have gone after a younger center like Steven Hunter or Dan Gadzuric -- who would have cost like 1/4th as much.

It's a ton of money and it makes me nervous, but it's part of the deal in Cleveland this year, as they try to build a team around LeBron good enough to keep him around. Ilgauskas is a weak defender, but a good enough offensive player to command some attention on defense to take the heat off LeBron.

When you're trying to make sure your stars resign, sometimes you have to do things like sign Malik Rose to a $42 million contract.

strangeweather
07-11-2005, 09:04 PM
With signing Hughes and Z, their cap space is dwindling fast. I think they had an estimated $28M to start with. They probably have about $6-7M left.

And both Sarunas Jasikivicius and Udonis Haslem are reportedly still on their wishlist. Good luck with that.

Kori Ellis
07-11-2005, 09:05 PM
It's a ton of money and it makes me nervous, but it's part of the deal in Cleveland this year, as they try to build a team around LeBron good enough to keep him around. Ilgauskas is a weak defender, but a good enough offensive player to command some attention on defense to take the heat off LeBron.

By all reports, LeBron didn't want them to re-sign Z though, right?

usckk
07-11-2005, 09:08 PM
Do you guys see Lebron bolting from Cleveland when he's a free-agent?

Big Pimp_21
07-11-2005, 09:11 PM
where would LeBron end up if he does leave Cleveland next year?

strangeweather
07-11-2005, 09:12 PM

I don't know -- I heard reports that went both ways on that one. My guess is that Ferry is just trying to put together a team he thinks can win and hope things sort themselves out from there.

After the season they had last year, I wouldn't be surprised if LeBron is ticked off at just about everyone in the organization.

clubalien
07-11-2005, 09:14 PM
didnt anopther trade say we traded wilks for lebron

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-11-2005, 09:14 PM
here would LeBron end up if he does leave Cleveland next year?

I believe it would actually be '07, and NY seems to be one of the early on faves, in part because Nike has like a $20 million dollar kicker in his contract if he ends up playing in LA or NY.

DDS4
07-11-2005, 09:15 PM
Timmy, Manu, Tony >>> Lebron, Hughes, Z

usckk
07-11-2005, 09:16 PM
Kobe + Lebron = civil war in LA

Pistons < Spurs

My understanding was not that he didn't want Z...more that he really wanted Curry....small difference I know...

I think they HAD to resign Z. He is quality. Has to be considered a top 6 to 8 center in the L. And he's had 2 solid yrs w/ out the ankles injuries he used to deal with.

strangeweather
Do you guys see Lebron bolting from Cleveland when he's a free-agent?

If he feels good about the organization and his chances to contend for a title, I'd bet anything he stays. If the organization seems lost and he's afraid he's going to have Garnett's career, I think he'll bolt.

If he goes, he has huge incentives in his Nike deal to go to NY, LA, or Chicago. Whichever one seems like the best chance for a title is probably where he'll go.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-11-2005, 09:17 PM
Damn, actually I just thought about it. Sterling could be set if Lebron would consider going to the Clips.

Plus they could roll out one hell of a team...

Livingston
James
Maggette
Brand
Lebron picks his center

Sterling would be guaranteed a sellout every night (read, $$$$$$$$$$$$$).

mavsfan1000
07-11-2005, 09:18 PM
I am not a fan of this decision. The price is too high and they need a defensive player to be a shot blocker. Ilgauskas is too slow to react on being that type of player. Bad deal for Cleveland.

clubalien
07-11-2005, 09:21 PM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21384&page=2&pp=26
reported by ksat

something about Wilks for Lebron

DDS4
07-11-2005, 09:23 PM
I think the signing is more of an indicator of how scarce it is to get a quality big man.

Z definitely has skills and size (despite the injuries), and teams are willing to overpay for that.

If Z is healthy, and that's a big if, he's a very good center.

TDMVPDPOY
07-11-2005, 09:24 PM
Bron is goin to bolt anyway, do you really think his goin to stay in cavs land? NO

This guy tryin to suck all the stars to come in n play for the cavs and his goin to bolt

Solid D
07-11-2005, 09:28 PM
Saras will be next, now.

They are building a strong team. When healthy, Z is a force and you can't get too many skilled 7'3" guys. I'm sure Mike Brown will be teaching the Cavs a similar defensive style to the Spurs. He did in Indy. Remember one of the Spurs saying something like, "it's like playing against ourselves"?

Having the #1 and #3 steals leaders on the perimeter and forcing people into Gooden and Z on the baseline isn't a bad deal at all.

Solid D
07-11-2005, 10:08 PM
I think of Z's foot problems too but in checking the stats, he's only missed 6 games in the past 3 seasons.
Z's games played career.
97-98 CLE 82
98-99 CLE 5
00-01 CLE 24
01-02 CLE 62
02-03 CLE 81
03-04 CLE 81
04-05 CLE 78

mavsfan1000
07-11-2005, 10:12 PM
Doesn't Cleveland wanna be a uptempo team? They need an athletic center not Ilgauskas.

BadlyDrawnBoy
07-11-2005, 10:21 PM
thanks for the stats. So in all fairness to Z, its been like 6 years since he missed tons of time.

Using my math, 4 seasons.

Solid D
07-12-2005, 07:37 AM
When a guy has had more than one foot surgery, there will be fears about further injuries. The article linked below talks about some teams having at least some concern about injuries for Z.

timvp was not off-base in suggesting the concerns.

It's true that Z has now played over 300 games without severe injury, (I think he's had some back spasms too) but that doesn't take away that long stretch of missed games over 3 seasons earlier in his career.

Oh, and 4 years isn't close to 6 years. 4 years is 4 years.

http://www.cleveland.com/sports/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/112046954642941.xml&coll=2

ducks
07-12-2005, 08:48 AM
CLEVELAND (Ticker) - Days after the Cleveland Cavaliers made waves with a marquee free agent signing, Zydrunas Ilgauskas reportedly has elected to remain with the club.

According to a report in Monday's Cleveland Plain Dealer, Ilgauskas will sign a five-year deal worth up to $60 million on July 22, the first day free agents can sign according to the NBA's collective bargaining agreement.

The report comes three days after the Cavaliers agreed to terms with guard Larry Hughes, one of the top prizes on the free agent market after a stellar season with the Washington Wizards.

The 30-year-old Ilgauskas, who has played all seven of his seasons with Cleveland, averaged 16.9 points and 8.6 rebounds in 78 games last season. He led the NBA with 299 offensive rebounds, ranked sixth with 165 blocks and was selected to the Eastern Conference All-Star team for the second time in three years.

After suffering through myriad foot injuries early in his career, the 7-3, 260-pounder has been a constant presence in the middle for the Cavaliers. Ilgauskas has missed just six games over the last three seasons and has increased his minutes in each campaign.

In 413 career games, the Lithuania native has averaged 14.9 points and 7.7 rebounds.

1Parker1
07-12-2005, 08:51 AM
Uh-Oh Ducks, Lebron and the Cavs are looking scary next season....

Mr. Body
07-12-2005, 08:52 AM
The money goes fast.

At least they didn't overpay for Simmons like the Bucks did.

ducks
07-12-2005, 08:54 AM
Uh-Oh Ducks, Lebron and the Cavs are looking scary next season....
what will james excuse be next year not to make the playoffs?
will he trust his teamates this year?

RobinsontoDuncan
07-12-2005, 08:55 AM
Hughes is a horrible fit for that team, the man just can't shoot the ball

Mr. Body
07-12-2005, 08:56 AM
It's the same exact team he had last year other than Larry Hughes. Is that enough to keep up with the rest of the East? Boston's youth movement? The Nets with SAR? Who are they going to knock out? Possibly the Wizards (ironically).

ducks
07-12-2005, 09:00 AM
I believe it would actually be '07, and NY seems to be one of the early on faves, in part because Nike has like a $20 million dollar kicker in his contract if he ends up playing in LA or NY.

you forgot the bulls and he wears number 23

ducks
07-12-2005, 09:29 AM
IF KIDD IS HEALTHY
the nets could be better then the cavs

1Parker1
07-12-2005, 10:04 AM
Nets didn't impress me too much in the first round when RJ, Kidd, and Carter played together--although RJ was comming off an injury. The problem with them is that they have 3 stellar offensive players and no strong big man to guard the paint and rebound and defend. Which is why SAR would make them a lot better.