PDA

View Full Version : What TV analyst do you respect most?

DarrinS
05-20-2013, 10:30 PM
For me, it's Kenny Smith.

DarrinS
05-20-2013, 10:34 PM
And for least, I'd have to say Stephen A. Even when he's giving Spurs some love, there's just something about him...

James210
05-20-2013, 10:39 PM
Wilbon.

HI-FI
05-20-2013, 10:43 PM
Does Jeff Van Gundy count?

InRareForm
05-20-2013, 10:43 PM
Bill Walton

thiste
05-20-2013, 10:46 PM
George Eddy!

KaiRMD1
05-20-2013, 10:48 PM
Brent Barry

atoyotagaspedal
05-20-2013, 10:48 PM
Chuck

DarrinS
05-20-2013, 10:52 PM
Brent Barry

Dude must have the most mixed emotions when discussing Spurs.

SanDiegoSpursFan
05-20-2013, 10:56 PM
Charles Barkley because he makes TNT/Inside the Game the only half-time/post-game show I want to watch. Even if he's wrong, he's funny. And he's different from most of the other commentators; he isn't sensitive about any failures during his career and people are more willing to contradict him because he doesn't take himself too seriously.

Udokafan05
05-20-2013, 11:00 PM
Mike Fratello

Libri
05-20-2013, 11:03 PM

Seriously, has he ever mentioned Tony by name during his commentary?

ShoogarBear
05-20-2013, 11:08 PM
http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/2009/news/090629/walter-cronkite.jpg

TheyCallMePro
05-20-2013, 11:12 PM
Well Charles Barkley for me. Anyone who's not afraid to speak their thoughts no matter how controversial their comments may be has my respect. Also I simply love that he knows that Tony Parker is the best point guard in the NBA. He also recognizes how great Ginobli is hence his GINNNNNNNOOOOOBBBBBLLLLLIIIII cry. Not to mention he has declared Tim Duncan the best power forward ever, and that the Spurs are the hardest working team in the NBA.

Otherwise I like Chris Webber when he calls games. I was initially shocked at how intelligent and knowledgeable he was. I always thought he was a bum during his playing career.

And hey...why not include Skip Bayless? He LOVES the spurs. I know some of you guys like to hate him and all, but at the end of the day, he's got the spurs backs and is our #1 promoter on ESPN. So we owe him our praise.

ElNono
05-20-2013, 11:13 PM
Steve Kerr...

Spur|n|Austin
05-20-2013, 11:13 PM

Agreed, it's really awkward to watch. Maybe it's just us picturing TP banging his wife, or maybe it's just him picturing it. Either way, it's hard to tell how he truly feels about certain aspects of our organization.

My vote for the most respect also goes to Kenny the Jet; he's the realest in an industry full of turkeys.

Beaverfuzz
05-20-2013, 11:17 PM
Chuck runs circles around The Jet. The Jet is only there because he's in the back court and can provide a different point of view.

Stephen A, Wilbon, Bill Simmons, and Jon Barry all tie for last.

Spur|n|Austin
05-20-2013, 11:21 PM
Chuck runs circles around The Jet. The Jet is only there because he's in the back court and can provide a different point of view.

Stephen A, Wilbon, Bill Simmons, and Jon Barry all tie for last.

Agree on the lasts, though Chuck couldn't even run circles around a donut in his mind.

He's funny and entertaining, but he's no analyst; I'll take The Jet from an analyst standpoint.

RD2191
05-20-2013, 11:24 PM
Bill Simmons, tbh. Haha jkjk

ShoogarBear
05-20-2013, 11:30 PM
I think Kenny Smith is really underrated. Plus, you can tell that he takes the job seriously--he actually puts time into thinking about what he wants to say and how he wants to make his points. He doesn't always come up with gems, but I respect the effort.

I love Charles as much as anybody, but you can equally tell the dude never prepares. He just wings it with whatever comes off the top of his head. Usually interesting and funny, but a lot of times not really on point.

For an example of what happens when somebody who not as funny as Charles tries that approach, see Shaq.

Chinook
05-20-2013, 11:31 PM
Hubie Brown. Barkley's good, too.

Splits
05-20-2013, 11:32 PM
http://gifs.gifbin.com/052010/1272964790_glenn-beck-crying.gif

mercos
05-20-2013, 11:34 PM
I always loved Doug Collins as an in game analyst. Kenny Smith is the in pre and post game coverage.

Libri
05-20-2013, 11:37 PM
Sean Elliott

Obstructed_View
05-21-2013, 12:18 AM
No love for Smitty?

The Reckoning
05-21-2013, 12:21 AM
Emmitt Smith

Obstructed_View
05-21-2013, 01:02 AM
Emmitt Smith

How is it that every baseball and football guy is really good, even the ex jocks and the NBA is stuck with Shaq and Barkley?

spurraider21
05-21-2013, 01:04 AM
Chuck is great because he's entertaining and he's blunt. But as far as the in-game commentators (even though Chuck did that once; during the substantial sanctions game), I'd go with JVG, Steve Kerr, Bill Walton, and Hubie (usually)

SA210
05-21-2013, 01:14 AM
Sean Elliott, Charles Barkley, Kenny Smith, Jeff Van Gundy, and Hubie Brown, and back in the day BOB COSTAS

Funny thought..What kind of TV Analyst would Pop make? :lol

eyeh8u
05-21-2013, 01:14 AM
Greg anthony is pretty good. Isiah has a lot of charm.

lefty
05-21-2013, 01:29 AM
I like Brent Barry, Chuck, Hubie, Wilbon.

JVG can be annoying but he is still great.

Greg Anthony used to suck, but he has gotten much better.

I would like to see Bones with the TNT crew once in a while

Budkin
05-21-2013, 01:55 AM
And for least, I'd have to say Stephen A. Even when he's giving Spurs some love, there's just something about him...

He knows absolutely nothing about the sport of basketball. He's all driven by hype and hyperbole.

Man In Black
05-21-2013, 02:13 AM
Any former Spur is good, especially Sean Elliott. I respect Greg Anthony but no announcers are more level than Dick Stockton and Kevin Harlan imo.

ShoogarBear
05-21-2013, 02:22 AM
Sean Elliott is awful. The first year when he was with ESPN, he was outstanding, but it looks like he didn't want to work that hard (and also likely didn't want to put up with ESPN's nonsense) and bolted. Since he's become the Spurs analyst he's fallen into a homeristic fan-pleasing schtick and gradually grown worse year by year. He doesn't know the players on the other team other than how they did previously against the Spurs. A few more years and he's going to be the Spurs' version of Tommy Heinsohn.

Sean Cagney
05-21-2013, 02:51 AM
Greg anthony is pretty good. Isiah has a lot of charm.

Greg is cool yes, I was going to mention in here the other night when he as one of the few to pick SA over Memphis.

Someone mentioned Harlan too! RIGHT BETWEEEEEN THE EYESSSSSSSSSSSSS! He kicks ass :hat. I liked Walton alot as well! Hubie is cool as an announcer as well. Webber to me does well and I like Kenny! Kenny is usually unbiased and level headed.

letmk
05-21-2013, 04:06 AM
JVG by a mile. Not only is he insightful, but he is bluntly honest. Most commentators would comment based on the calls by default, like the defender making a mistake or the offense player making a good play. While JVG would point out that's just a bad call.

chapnis
05-21-2013, 04:18 AM
Bill Simmons, unless he's actually on TV.

KenziE
05-21-2013, 05:40 AM
Kenny Smith

ffadicted
05-21-2013, 10:11 AM
By far JVG
Kenny and Charles are quality too

Gervin44Silas13
05-21-2013, 10:21 AM
Chuck Barkley....Kenny Smith... Shaq....
always have good inputs...Shaq.....knows how the Spurs work basketball wise...best in the biz!!!

Typical London Boy
05-21-2013, 10:25 AM
Mike Wilbon for studio analysis, and JVG for in-play analysis.

Beaverfuzz
05-21-2013, 10:50 AM
Mike Wilbon for studio analysis, and JVG for in-play analysis.

Wilbon for studios analysis? What planet do you live on?

SAScrub
05-21-2013, 11:00 AM
Not enough love for Steve Kerr in here. Easily the most articulate and most insightful of the former players on the air.

spurspokesman
05-21-2013, 11:06 AM
Charles Barkley/ Wilbon

Capt Bringdown
05-21-2013, 11:18 AM
http://sinbapointforward.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/brent-russell.jpg?w=610&h=500

ironman2886
05-21-2013, 11:22 AM
I have to agree. He is definately the most knowledgeable of the four on TNT. I also like Greg Anthony. I think some are confusing analysts with commentators.

Trainwreck2100
05-21-2013, 11:26 AM
Kenny showed his true colors last series when he really wanted his boy Jackson to advace

ThaBigFundamental21
05-21-2013, 11:28 AM
There are a few. Kenny and Charles are amazing. They might not always be right, but they give true insight and don't just pick teams they would like to see. They give picks from a pure basketball perspective. Wilbon is pretty good, not as good. But he usually gives good picks and takes, but sometimes gets sucked into picking what ESPN would like out of him. I want to add in Greg Anthony, he isn't bad either. I also think Webber does a decent job tbh. I know a lot of people dislike him. But a lot of these former players went up against the Spurs and understand exactly what opposing teams are dealing with, and give the Spurs a lot of credit. They aren't all about huge market entertainment teams, money, and ratings.

bklynspursfan
05-21-2013, 11:32 AM
Seriously, has he ever mentioned Tony by name during his commentary?

For a while he wasn't, but now he does. He'll say Tony or TP.

cd98
05-21-2013, 11:35 AM
JVG, Steve Kerr, and Doug Collins. I think Bill Walton's commentary is a bit inconsistent, but I love his enthusiasm, which I believe is totally genuine. I'd actually like to hear Brent Barry do a game; he's got good insight from a techical perspective, but he's also a good story-teller/off the cuff speaker as opposed to some of these other guys.

baseline bum
05-21-2013, 11:38 AM
Greg Anthony is probably my favorite. Pity that he works for yahoo and thus only gets to comment 3-4 minutes at a time maybe 3-4 times a week. ABC/ESPN should really try to steal him away to pair with Wilbon, who is awesome too. Then get rid of Magic and Simmons.

For play by play the gold standard was always Chick Hearn, and no one has ever come close. Nowadays I think I like Mike Breen best.

ironman2886
05-21-2013, 11:39 AM
Yeah for a couple of years Brent Barry wouldn't say Tony Parker's name. He is saying at the moment surprisingly. Kenny 'the jet' Smith was rooting for Mark Jackson( not so much the warriors) a bit, but he never showed any sort of hate or disrespect for the Spurs. He has always liked and talked about the spurs and their system at the highest level.

bklynspursfan
05-21-2013, 11:46 AM
Wilbon for studios analysis? What planet do you live on?

He's not that bad. Probably the best on that set, those other 3 guys are just horrible at times. Wilbon has his moments, but some of the stuff he says makes a lot of sense. And he doesn't always flip flop his opinions like Magic/Jalen do. And Simmons is just out of this world sometimes.
Wilbon was defending his pick for the Spurs during his chat yesterday lol

Swan (Minny)

Come on Mike, the Grizz have players who have been through tough games...Tony Allen for the Celtics, Marc Gasol in Spain and Prince in Detroit. The Spurs have a lot of youth that hasn't experienced the same things Duncan, Parker and Ginobli have. Does it really make that much a difference that a few guys did it together rather than taking experience from elsewhere and bring it to the Grizz ?

mike wilbon (1:59 PM)

I hope you're not discounting experience, especially for guys doing ANYTHING together, because that would be insane. Look at your own life and whatever you do. I know that I'm much more certain about being on live television now than I was 10 years ago...and our Countdown shows in the coming weeks will be better, smoother, and executed with more confidence than yesterday's...You think Tayshaun Prince, playing the post-season for the first time in Memphis, is as certain as which way a teammate is going to react as Duncan and Parker and Ginobili? Really? Zebo and Gasol have never been this far in the playoffs...K. Leonard and those young Spurs were this far LAST SEASON. You discount experience if you want. I'll look at the history of the NBA and I'll take the old guys, right up to the Dallas Mavericks two years ago with Dirk and J-Kidd...I really, really like Memphis and what they're building. I LOVE the Spurs in these situations, even after losing last season after a 2-0 lead. Hell, it's BECAUSE of losing that 2-0 lead last year, in part, that I like the Spurs this post-season...

elec99
05-21-2013, 11:53 AM
JVG, chuck, and kenny smith. Steve Kerr too.
I dont know how Simmons got his job, his picks are usually wrong and just downright annoying.

davidbowie
05-21-2013, 12:04 PM
i genuinely feel for Brent when the Spurs come up. it's been a while now and he seems better about it, but these past few seasons it's been impossible to talk about the Spurs and not mention Tony. he has always been professional and classy with regards to the organization and the city of san antonio. also whenever i see his brother on tv talking negative about the Spurs i just assume it's cause of Tony lol

SpursRock20
05-21-2013, 12:11 PM
Haven't read the whole thread, and I have yet to see the Czar, Mike Fratello mentioned. He's a bit of a homer for the east coast, but I kind of like him. Oh, and Marv Albert, he's obviously got a great voice too.

kidd_91
05-21-2013, 12:21 PM
Bill Simmons, unless he's actually on TV.
I was just saying this the other day, his articles are thought out, sometimes way to thought out. But his on air takes are ridiculous.

2centsworth
05-21-2013, 12:29 PM
Tim Legler, Kenny Smith, Hubie and Chuck.

ohmwrecker
05-21-2013, 12:42 PM
I like Brent Barry, Chuck, Hubie, Wilbon.

JVG can be annoying but he is still great.

Greg Anthony used to suck, but he has gotten much better.

I would like to see Bones with the TNT crew once in a while

I actually agree . . . huh?

Barry is great and it's awkwardly entertaining watching him tiptoe around talking about Parker.

Chuck is funny because he is unfiltered and says stupid shit all the time.

I know everybody around here hates him, but I love Hubie Brown. I love that he states obvious things and that he's showing signs senility. Hubie's awesome and anyone who thinks differently kinda sucks. Sorry.

JVG is pretty funny most of the time, but he erupts with bad takes quite often. Wilbon is really solid, but his partners suck. Agree about Anthony. Much Improved.

DesignatedT
05-21-2013, 12:46 PM
Barry went on a good 30 second rave on NBA TV's post game show praising Parker's two big shots after game 6 against GS. Just calling him "Tony" throughout the entire thing. People are just looking too much into that.

ohmwrecker
05-21-2013, 12:49 PM
I think there is a "butthurt lag" when it comes to former players becoming analysts. They are coming to terms with their athletic career being over and are still bitter about guys they played against still playing and having success. Especially if they never won a championship.

ohmwrecker
05-21-2013, 12:53 PM
Barry went on a good 30 second rave on NBA TV's post game show praising Parker's two big shots after game 6 against GS. Just calling him "Tony" throughout the entire thing. People are just looking too much into that.

That's happened fairly recently. It's a work in progress. He was noticeably uncomfortable at first and wouldn't even work on Spurs game nights most of the time. He's definitely becoming more comfortable with it. Maybe the bleach from frosting his tips is leaking into his brain making him more docile.

lefty
05-21-2013, 02:00 PM
I actually agree . . . huh?

Barry is great and it's awkwardly entertaining watching him tiptoe around talking about Parker.

Chuck is funny because he is unfiltered and says stupid shit all the time.

I know everybody around here hates him, but I love Hubie Brown. I love that he states obvious things and that he's showing signs senility. Hubie's awesome and anyone who thinks differently kinda sucks. Sorry.

JVG is pretty funny most of the time, but he erupts with bad takes quite often. Wilbon is really solid, but his partners suck. Agree about Anthony. Much Improved.
the goods

Budkin
05-21-2013, 02:23 PM
I liked Al Michaels and Hubie Brown together during our championship run in 2005.

temujin
05-21-2013, 04:15 PM
Mike Fratello.

TD 21
05-21-2013, 05:00 PM
Albert is still the best play by play guy. The most informative analysts are Kerr and Van Gundy (annoying as his incessant nagging can be). But there's very few that even attempt to provide insight. Most have no clue about the league outside of the glamor teams and even with them, they just say cliche, basic stuff.

The quality of NBA broadcasting in general is terrible and needs a makeover. Why aren't informative types like Lowe and others (Hollinger, before he was hired by the Grizzlies) on air breaking the game down? Who decided that the casual fan doesn't want this and why is this still accepted as fact in '13? They should at least try it for a year.

LarryDavid
05-21-2013, 05:07 PM
Whichever analyst picks the Spurs to win.

SpurPadre
05-21-2013, 05:30 PM

Even when he does give us props, it's a backhanded compliment and then he resorts to making fun of Splitter because he's a white Brazilian.

pgardn
05-21-2013, 05:31 PM
Kerr.

And Marv ("I did not know the Wichati were biters") Albert for play by play.

Libri
05-21-2013, 05:45 PM

Did his upper lip quiver a bit when he said "Tony"?

ddjeffries
05-21-2013, 05:47 PM
JVG

emanueldavidginobili
05-21-2013, 05:59 PM
Chuck, Stephen A smith, JVG, Hubie, Skip

50 cent
05-21-2013, 06:37 PM
I have always liked Simmons (except the Boston homerism, but we are all homers to some team). Even on his podcast on 5/17, he goes on for 30 minutes about how great the Spurs are and how we are a few tough breaks from having a few more championships. I don't know why he gets on TV and talks himself out of picking the Spurs, but I still like him. His basketball history knowledge is 2nd to none.

lefty
05-21-2013, 06:49 PM
I liked Al Michaels and Hubie Brown together during our championship run in 2005.
I was going to post this :tu

NBA on ABC before Disney/ESPN was really good

AL Michaels shits on Breen, his association with Hubie was great
They also had Walton

And their intros were pretty good too

Fuck you Disney

Budkin
05-21-2013, 07:28 PM
I was going to post this :tu

NBA on ABC before Disney/ESPN was really good

AL Michaels shits on Breen, his association with Hubie was great
They also had Walton

And their intros were pretty good too

Fuck you Disney

And don't forget Tom Tolbert!!! :lol

ploto
05-21-2013, 07:28 PM
Kerr with Marv Albert are my favorites by far.

As for Brent -- he did do an episode about the playoffs on Open Court on NBA-TV with the TNT crew, fillling in for Kenny. He was pretty funny with them. Kerr talked about his big game in Dallas and coming home to his house in TH being all decorated by his neighbors. Brent moved onto the same street and said his neighbors just look at him and say - you're not Steve Kerr!

urunobili
05-21-2013, 07:39 PM
Kerr-Kenny-Charles-Greg Anthony-JVG

lefty
05-21-2013, 08:05 PM
And don't forget Tom Tolbert!!! :lol
He was kinda funny

portnoy1
05-21-2013, 08:32 PM
I would have to say kevin harlin and then doris burke the times they let her be an analyst instead that sideline crap. She is veryknowledgeable much more than these other chicks they have reporting a game or on espn.

Obstructed_View
05-21-2013, 08:36 PM
Haven't read the whole thread, and I have yet to see the Czar, Mike Fratello mentioned. He's a bit of a homer for the east coast, but I kind of like him. Oh, and Marv Albert, he's obviously got a great voice too.

Marv with Kerr and Fratello is probably as good as it gets.

TheGreatYacht
06-10-2014, 09:25 AM
Tim Legler just picked the Spurs. He's a respectful guy and knows basketball in my book

Spur|n|Austin
06-10-2014, 09:39 AM
Tim Legler just picked the Spurs. He's a respectful guy and knows basketball in my book

He's also been saying the Spurs were done at the beginning of the past couple seasons.. I really used to like him a lot too, but I've changed my stance the past couple years.

06-10-2014, 09:49 AM
Hubie Brown and Mike Fratello.

I know that some are put off by how technical they are breaking down plays, but I seem to learn something different when those two call a game.

philldafunk
06-10-2014, 10:02 AM
I wouldn't really say they're analyst, but SVP and Russillo are the best ESPN has.

peacemaker885
06-10-2014, 10:29 AM
Marv play by play.

Big Empty
06-10-2014, 10:41 AM
dean ****** jeff van gundy

xmas1997
06-10-2014, 11:10 AM
They all get paid to express their OPINIONS.
Unfortunately the ones who are more outspoken, loud, and spew the "media/company line", get paid the highest.
It is what it is

tholdren
06-10-2014, 11:27 AM
Tim Legler is addicted to plastic surgery.

Proxy
06-10-2014, 11:31 AM
Don't mind anyone outside Miller and Jackson.

Bruce is kind of annoying. Speaks like he's talking to children.

Always thought Walton was so bad, but in a funny way. Sounded like a joke when he spoke, but made me laugh. Chuck and Shaq are funny too.

Think I enjoy PTI the most though. Abbott, Stein, and Leglar... Coaches are usually good too.

Jimcs50
06-10-2014, 12:02 PM

This

urunobili
06-10-2014, 12:16 PM
Kerr

Kawhi
06-10-2014, 12:28 PM
Skip bayless, dude knows his basketball