PDA

View Full Version : BREAKING NEWS: NBA Has Lowest Rated Conference Final Opener Since 2007 in Spurs/Grizz

Amuseddaysleeper
05-21-2013, 01:05 PM
http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2013/05/nba-playoffs-grizzliesspurs-o

It would be a dream come true if Stern can get a Pacers/Spurs Final.

Juggity
05-21-2013, 01:09 PM
If the NBA marketed teams instead of superstars, this wouldn't be an issue for them.

There's nothing boring about either of these teams.

RD2191
05-21-2013, 01:10 PM
:lmao fuck stern

ginobilized
05-21-2013, 01:10 PM
Alert the media.
On second thought, nevermind....

DarrinS
05-21-2013, 01:12 PM
Who cares?

DesignatedT
05-21-2013, 01:12 PM
cool

Sean Cagney
05-21-2013, 01:13 PM
If the NBA marketed teams instead of superstars, this wouldn't be an issue for them.

That is it, they did this crap to themselves. No damn Durant in here or Kobe etc. F YOU STERN.

Amuseddaysleeper
05-21-2013, 01:14 PM
Who cares?

I don't, I just thought it was funny.

barakz21
05-21-2013, 01:18 PM
The problem is that the casual fans are treated to the superstars, which results in them only appreciating the highlights. I started out as a casual fan myself. Enter TD and the Spurs. Since then, I appreciated team ball as much as casual fans appreciate the highlight reels. I believe the key is paying attention to detail, and the league promoting real team basketball instead of only the superstars.

elec99
05-21-2013, 01:21 PM
Am I reading this wrong: Compared to Game 1 of last year’s Thunder/Spurs WCF on TNT, the 3.9 is also down 32% from a 5.7 overnight.

The spurs are the one consistent variable here, the Grizz are the one thing that is different??

capek
05-21-2013, 01:22 PM

Exactly. Really fucking moronic when you think about it. They have 280 million people between the two coasts that could totally identify with the qualities represented by teams like the Spurs and Grizz--hard working, consistency, team concept, selflessness, etc etc--and instead they fetishize things that completely turn off everyone this vast collection of people in favor of the <20 million or so that are into star fucking, kim kardasian, tabloid BULL SHIT. Real fucking short sighted and puss move by Stern to take the Jordan model and run with it without a second thought. Moron.

Splits
05-21-2013, 01:24 PM
Well, the 2012 World Series drew a 3.7, lower than Game 1 of a conference finals. So there's that.

Mal
05-21-2013, 01:41 PM
Fuck you Stern

SpursRock20
05-21-2013, 01:44 PM
Didn't help that the game was not competitive....

Ratings are going to continue to be low as long as ESPN keeps putting all their eggs in the Memphis basket. Just watched the game 2 preview on ESPN and the only thing that was mentioned is how Randolph needs to get going. That's it.

phxspurfan
05-21-2013, 02:02 PM
Good, let the bandwagoners go root for some other random flavor of the week team. GO ANGELS

hater
05-21-2013, 02:05 PM
blame it on that Bevely nigga

FuzzyLumpkins
05-21-2013, 02:15 PM
The NFL had NFL films to create brand image. The NBA had Nike and Coke do it for them.

It's really stupid decision when you consider labor costs and by aggrandizing the individual over the team you increase an individual's value. Contracts are negotiated by the individual.

People claim that Stern was oh so wonderful fail to account for his complete lack of vision or principle beyond the immediate bottomline.

dbreiden83080
05-21-2013, 02:20 PM
Is this where we speculate about the league conspiring against us to be in the finals? Memphis or Spurs will not improve the ratings for the finals against the Heat.. Pacers/Spurs or Grizzlies will be bad ratings..

Strategic
05-21-2013, 02:23 PM
It's either a 100% or nil at my house. If this were the lakers/mavs vs. clippers/thunder I wouldn't watch one minute. If there is something on the trapeze, I need it to be graceful and artistic, not some random bullshit. I notice the rest of the series is on ESPN, time for them to eat their own bat shit.

SA210
05-21-2013, 02:26 PM
:lol F Stern and the networks. Their fault for not marketing the Spurs.

midnightpulp
05-21-2013, 02:26 PM
Guys. this has nothing to do with NBA marketing strategy and everything to do with television market size. I guarantee you that if you took this exact same Spurs team and swapped them with the Lakers, they'd draw huge ratings, regardless of whether or not they have a high profile superstar. Put Memphis in New York, same thing. It's no coincidence the highest rated NBA Finals the Spurs were ever in is when they played the Knicks, who played a boring brand of basketball and lacked a marketable star after Ewing got hurt. Despite that, the series still had great ratings simply because of New York's market size.

DieHardSpursFan1537
05-21-2013, 02:27 PM
Unless you invest in stocks, this won't matter. Anyhow, lets have a good laugh at Stern! :lol

Spursmania
05-21-2013, 02:27 PM
Stern:rollin

Budkin
05-21-2013, 02:34 PM
I thought people loved the Spurs/Jazz WCF in 2007! :lol

DAF86
05-21-2013, 02:49 PM
Guys. this has nothing to do with NBA marketing strategy and everything to do with television market size. I guarantee you that if you took this exact same Spurs team and swapped them with the Lakers, they'd draw huge ratings, regardless of whether or not they have a high profile superstar. Put Memphis in New York, same thing. It's no coincidence the highest rated NBA Finals the Spurs were ever in is when they played the Knicks, who played a boring brand of basketball and lacked a marketable star after Ewing got hurt. Despite that, the series still had great ratings simply because of New York's market size.

That's true to some extent. Lakers and Kincks will always draw attention no matter who plays in there I guess we all know this but small market teams can have big ratings if big entertaining stars play in those teams, that's why OKC draws decent rating numbers despite being a small market team.

If San Antonio had a star ala Durant, Lebron, Kobe, heck even Allen Iverson there would be no talk about it being a boring, small market, rating killing team. BTW isn't San Antonio the 7th biggest city in the US? I think I read that somewhere.

chapnis
05-21-2013, 02:55 PM
Like someone else said, the only thing that has changed since last season is the opponent, not us.

Kidd K
05-21-2013, 02:57 PM
Not the least bit surprised. ESPN, ABC, and TNT were so busy pumping up and blowing the Warriors and Thunder, there was bound to be a ratings letdown when those two inferior teams didn't advance.

TNT, ABC, ESPN, and the NBA themselves have nobody to blame but themselves for not advertising the real best teams more than they are. The Spurs are an interesting team, but they always have this agenda to call them boring over and over and over even when they aren't. People are just going to believe it even if it's not true because parroting is what people who barely pay attention do.

I was going to come in here and say, "Well the Grizzlies get much lower ratings than the Spurs". . .but I really can't in good faith just blame them. Spurs beating the MUCH more hyped Warriors who had every excuse in the book hammered into people's brains afterward probably made people not want to watch the Spurs for the rest of the year. It's like they're trying to set them up as bad guys.

midnightpulp
05-21-2013, 02:58 PM
That's true to some extent. Lakers and Kincks will always draw attention no matter who plays in there I guess we all know this but small market teams can have big ratings if big entertaining stars play in those teams, that's why OKC draws decent rating numbers despite being a small market team.

If San Antonio had a star ala Durant, Lebron, Kobe, heck even Allen Iverson there would be no talk about it being a boring, small market, rating killing team. BTW isn't San Antonio the 7th biggest city in the US? I think I read that somewhere.

7th biggest city but 38th largest television market.

DAF86
05-21-2013, 03:01 PM

lol how is that possible?

iminol
05-21-2013, 03:03 PM
riding horses instead watching TV :)

BillMc
05-21-2013, 03:06 PM
I was reading somewhere about it was so disappointing that the Pacers downed the Knicks, because the ECF could have used Carmelo Anthony's "star power". (Nevermind, apparently, the gigantic New York market). And then it went on that the WCF had no star power on either team.

And I wondered to myself, what did Carmelo EVER do to become a star... and why were Tim, Tony and Manu not considered stars?

David Robinson was a "star", John or Jane Q. Public were interested in him, but not our core trio, I guess.

A real shame. We are like the old Isiah Thomas Pistons. Champions beloved only in our home state (and maybe, France, Argentina and Australia)

DAF86
05-21-2013, 03:09 PM
I was reading somewhere about it was so disappointing that the Pacers downed the Knicks, because the ECF could have used Carmelo Anthony's "star power". (Nevermind, apparently, the gigantic New York market). And then it went on that the WCF had no star power on either team.

And I wondered to myself, what did Carmelo EVER do to become a star... and why were Tim, Tony and Manu not considered stars?

David Robinson was a "star", John or Jane Q. Public were interested in him, but not our core trio, I guess.

A real shame. We are like the old Isiah Thomas Pistons. Champions beloved only in our home state (and maybe, France, Argentina and Australia)

Style over substance son, everytime.

bklynspursfan
05-21-2013, 03:15 PM
Since 2007 huh? I'll take it. Now let's replicate something else from that season.

Dingle Barry
05-21-2013, 03:28 PM

Markets aren't based on city limits. Example, San AnRovio is abnormally large city proper with relatively few suburbs making up the metro area. But DFW is much larger of a market despite Dallas proper being technically smaller than SA.

Also, Mexicans.

Doug Collins
05-21-2013, 03:50 PM
Also, Mexicans.

That's the main reason, tbh.

Humberto
05-21-2013, 04:00 PM
Stern is a ass clown.

Makes no sense that the NBA is spending marketing money on Dirk (long commercial during game 1) and commercials with Paul Pierce sitting in the rafter.. no way Boston was going to win it all. I agree with the market size of the teams playing but NBA needs to be smarter about the commercials and promos they run if they want to bring the casual fans in.

Homeland Security
05-21-2013, 04:03 PM
Most large American cities are like Buenos Aires -- central city surrounded by suburbs that contain the majority of the regional population.

San Antonio is like Cordoba or Rosario.

Homeland Security
05-21-2013, 04:06 PM
That's the main reason, tbh.
It's a significant driver behind the nationwide disgust with the Spurs' perennial success as well.

rascal
05-21-2013, 04:06 PM

This- market size and fan base.

Legacy
05-21-2013, 04:11 PM
:lmao

temujin
05-21-2013, 04:13 PM
Spurs were there last year, Mamphis didn't.

Stern knows what it's going to happen if the Grizzlies make it to the Finals.

hater
05-21-2013, 04:20 PM
Apparently the big news out of New York is that Carmelo needs a better supporting cast to contend. Apparently, a cast of Felton, Kidd, Chandler, Amare, Camby, JR, Shumpert is not good enough help for the A+++ start to get to the East Conference Finals :lmao :lmao

:lmao Lebron dominated the East for a decade with a supporting cast of Boobie Gibson and Ilgauskas :lol

:lmao Melo most overrated piece of shit

:lmao Knicks

:lmao delusional

:lmao destined to suck for the rest of the decade :lmao

DAF86
05-21-2013, 04:23 PM
Apparently the big news out of New York is that Carmelo needs a better supporting cast to contend. Apparently, a cast of Felton, Kidd, Chandler, Amare, Camby, JR, Shumpert is not good enough help for the A+++ start to get to the East Conference Finals :lmao :lmao

That's a pretty lame supporting cast, tbh.

hater
05-21-2013, 04:23 PM
That's a pretty lame supporting cast, tbh.

:lmao Lebron dominated the East for a decade with a supporting cast of Boobie Gibson and Ilgauskas :lol

:lol the bulls had a better playoffs with the italian stallion, Nazr and kriptonate

furthermore, Melo's stint in Denver was pretty much the same. He had very good supporting casts there too

on a final note, Melo averaged 1 assist and 6 rebounds per game in the playoffs

:lmao superstar

:lol building around this turd

GSH
05-21-2013, 04:26 PM

:tu Exactly.

They have painted themselves into a corner with the way they have molded and marketed the league.

Humberto
05-21-2013, 04:36 PM
Knicks need more pump fakes and overweight players.

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/001/484/469/83425978_display_image.jpg?1319682423

KaiRMD1
05-21-2013, 04:39 PM
YES!!!! I'm so rooting for the Pacers. Then, they could face either Grizzlies or Spurs, it won't matter. This is all the NBA's fault for never advertising the sport as a whole. HA!!

KaiRMD1
05-21-2013, 04:46 PM
I thought people loved the Spurs/Jazz WCF in 2007! :lol

I loved it!!! But I'm a Spurs fan and seeing Fisher get curb stomped is always beautiful

FkLA
05-21-2013, 04:52 PM
Markets aren't based on city limits. Example, San AnRovio is abnormally large city proper with relatively few suburbs making up the metro area. But DFW is much larger of a market despite Dallas proper being technically smaller than SA.

Also, Mexicans.

What cities/towns are considered SA market tbh? Are New Braunfels and San Marcos part of it? If not I think its only a matter of time before they are imo, have also read that the city is growing so fast that it wouldnt be surprising if San Antonio-Austin merged the way Dallas-Forth Worth did eventually. That would make our market size alot more attractive tbh.

Brunodf
05-21-2013, 04:57 PM

This remind me another superstar chucker (2005-2007) tbh

PÒÓCH
05-21-2013, 05:34 PM
When you start the game @ 3:00 on a Sunday afternoon what do you expect?

DAF86
05-21-2013, 05:35 PM

:lol dominating for a decade=winning the conference one year

:lol the bulls had a better playoffs with the italian stallion, Nazr and kriptonate

:lol 1 2nd round victory > 2 2nd round victories

furthermore, Melo's stint in Denver was pretty much the same. He had very good supporting casts there too

on a final note, Melo averaged 1 assist and 6 rebounds per game in the playoffs

:lmao superstar

:lol building around this turd

Not a Melo fan, tbh. I was just saying that that Knicks supporting cast wasn't all that good, specially not this year.

lol broken down Chandler
lol Kidd not being able to make a goddamn shot
lol fat Felton
lol overrated Shumpert
lol JR (needless to say more)

hater
05-21-2013, 05:39 PM
again

1 asist 6 rebounds from the superstar :lol

lol building around him

lol blaming the supporting cast

lol new york

any of the other 9 top 10 players in his place and New York contends for East Finals

pgardn
05-21-2013, 06:00 PM
It's a pity And One did not become popular and siphon off the fans who enjoy selfish drama with a dash of silly tricks.

If the Spurs were in NY they could proclaim themselves the greatest sports city to ever exist.

Strategic
05-21-2013, 06:06 PM
again

1 asist 6 rebounds from the superstar :lol

lol building around him

lol blaming the supporting cast

lol new york

any of the other 9 top 10 players in his place and New York contends for East Finals

Yep, and melo couldn't do it in Denver with some of the same cast plus Nene, Billups and others. This, plus one of my favorite coaches, George Carl.

YoMamaIsCallin
05-21-2013, 06:18 PM
What cities/towns are considered SA market

They have this thing called Google now that helps you look up facts (http://www.foxsanantonio.com/sections/station/sales/market/)

dbreiden83080
05-21-2013, 06:28 PM
Stern is a ass clown.

Makes no sense that the NBA is spending marketing money on Dirk (long commercial during game 1) and commercials with Paul Pierce sitting in the rafter.. no way Boston was going to win it all. I agree with the market size of the teams playing but NBA needs to be smarter about the commercials and promos they run if they want to bring the casual fans in.

They don't really market teams just certain players and ESPN is more responsible for it than the NBA.. All they talk about is Lebron and Kobe...

They actually started First Take today discussing Alonzo Mourning for saying that Lebron would beat Jordan in 1 on 1.. Seriously who gives a fuck??

Solid D
05-21-2013, 07:10 PM
Meanwhile, later that same day during prime time:

Nielsen ratings from Sunday, May 19, 2013 Prime Time
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/05/20/tv-ratings-sunday-billboard-music-awards-hit-high-family-guy-the-simpsons-finale-down/183195/

Time Net Show 18-49 Rating/Share......Viewers (Millions)
7:00 ABC America's Funniest Home Videos - Season Finale 1.8/6.....9.84
CBS 60 Minutes 1.4/5.....8.53
FOX The Cleveland Show 0.9/3.....2.13
NBC The Voice - R (7-9PM) 0.7/2.....2.61

7:30 FOX The Cleveland Show - Series Finale 1.1/4.....2.53

8:00 ABC The 2013 Billboard Music Awards (8-11PM) 3.6/10.....9.47
FOX The Simpsons 1.8/6.....4.00
CBS 60 Minutes 1.2/3.....6.41

8:30 FOX The Simpsons - Season Finale 2.1/6.....4.39

9:00 FOX Family Guy 2.6/7.....5.25
NBC Celebrity Apprentice - Season Finale (9-11PM) 1.5/4.....5.26
CBS ACM Presents: Tim McGraw's Superstar Summer Night (9-11PM) 1.2/3.....6.19

9:30 FOX Family Guy - Season Finale 2.5/6.....5.12

-
Nielsen TV Ratings: ©2013 The Nielsen Company. All Rights Reserved.

Spurs and Mavs fan
05-21-2013, 07:28 PM
Wonderful. So many disappointed NBA fans. When the Spurs win, most fans aren't happy!

I still can't decide whether I'd prefer Spurs-Heat or Spurs-Pacers. I'm thinking Spurs-Pacers.

DeadlyDynasty
05-21-2013, 07:29 PM
Well, well, well...raise your hand if this news surprises you.:rollin

and to all those Spurfans who feign disinterest in this topic, drop the act. I know this angers you...we all like our (or your team, in this case) accomplishments to be recognized by others. It's fun having the first 20-30 minutes of Sportscenter dedicated to your team (a la Lakers when they were winning). Unless San Antonio gains a marketable superstar or their owner employs the Abercrombie and Fitch Doctrine on the home crowd, I'm afraid you'll always toil in obscurity.

Thems the breaks.

Floyd Pacquiao
05-21-2013, 07:34 PM
:cry no one likes us :cry

BillMc
05-21-2013, 07:34 PM
Wonderful. So many disappointed NBA fans. When the Spurs win, most fans aren't happy!

I still can't decide whether I'd prefer Spurs-Heat or Spurs-Pacers. I'm thinking Spurs-Pacers.

Spurs-Pacers. 1. We'd have home court. 2. Stern would be pissed.

Shaolin-Style
05-21-2013, 07:53 PM
Not sure what they expected after every other comment from the warriors series was "well it *was* a fun ride with golden state...but now the fun's over"

DJR210
05-21-2013, 07:55 PM
LMAO, fuck you Stern you stubby faggot.

ShoogarBear
05-21-2013, 08:04 PM
2007 was a very good year, tbh.

Capt Bringdown
05-21-2013, 08:21 PM
The NFL had NFL films to create brand image. The NBA had Nike and Coke do it for them.

Spot on. The NFL's brand is legendary teams and parity, and on any given sunday, you're going to see everyone try to out-compete each other. Legacy and competition, in other words.

The NBA has hitched their wagon to the Superstar narrative, "passing the torch," and all that nonsense. It started somewhat with Bird and Magic, although back then there was still an emphasis/priority on teams.
Michael Jordan changed all that.

Obstructed_View
05-21-2013, 08:33 PM
The lower the ratings, the sooner David Stern and ESPN decide that their 1979 marketing model should be changed to the one the NFL uses so they can bury Magic and Jordan for good and move on. If six people watch the Spurs in the finals, it's fine with me because I'll be one of the six.

ManuAddicted
05-21-2013, 09:16 PM
F*ck the ratings

SA210
05-21-2013, 09:32 PM
The Spurs D suffocating those ratings, tbh lol

exstatic
05-21-2013, 09:32 PM

Not many suburbs at all. You can drive directly from SA into the Hill Country.

Man In Black
05-21-2013, 09:35 PM
Explain 03, when NJ, which is part of the NY-NJ metro that is part of The DMA. Designated Media Area marks how media markets are measured in total households and population. NJ being there didn't help at all. No, it's because the NBA and it's media partners either do not know how(possible) or they intentionality do not(plausible) market the Spurs and it's INTERNATIONAL stars. They fucked up and they never learned, more like they don't care to market the Spurs until they are forced to.

http://www.poundingtherock.com/2013/5/20/4349066/how-winning-forces-media-to-pay-attention <-How Winning Forces Media To Pay Attention

exstatic
05-21-2013, 09:36 PM
I LOVE the fact that this is Stern's last playoffs as Commish.

Man In Black
05-21-2013, 09:39 PM
http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/campaigns/dma-maps.html

irishock
05-21-2013, 10:16 PM
Well, the 2012 World Series drew a 3.7, lower than Game 1 of a conference finals. So there's that.

:lol

kaji157
05-22-2013, 12:35 AM
The only thing that angers me is that i cannot have a great marketeable superstar throwing my team under the bus while still in competition.
Not to say that is also great to have the best NBA fishing team ever assembled.

Now, jokes aside.

Assuming the Heat take care of business.

What would you rather see. A very easy marketeable finals between Spurs and Heat, new blood against the old blood. Champions against former champions.

Or Memphis - Heat...?

dav4463
05-22-2013, 12:56 AM

That is so true.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-22-2013, 01:27 AM

Fuck most NBA fans, quite frankly. These people supposedly love basketball, but then won't bother to watch two really good teams play it really well?! Fuck them, those people don't actually love basketball.

This really shits me to tears, especially where the Spurs are concerned. Our team plays extremely beautiful basketball to watch, especially when they're clicking on the offensive end, and yet supposed basketball fans say that the Spurs are boring... what a load of bullshit! Name a team that plays prettier offence to watch, with passing, movement, dissection of the defence, when they're clicking on all cylinders. The Spurs play basketball as it was intended to be played, as a team, but your average NBA fan seemingly isn't interested in that ... fuck them! :ihit

Obstructed_View
05-22-2013, 02:29 AM
It's fun having the first 20-30 minutes of Sportscenter dedicated to your team (a la Lakers when they were winning).
The Lakers did the same thing this year because they're drama queens and losers. Just because people are paying attention doesn't mean they're great, it just means they're popular.

What's odd is that someone who takes the time to post on a basketball message board, even a Laker fan, should be knowledgeable enough to recognize good basketball. The same blind spot that makes them think Kobe's clutch or a leader, I guess.

romain.star
05-22-2013, 06:47 AM

Yes... and no

I agree that Big markets will draw huge ratings no matter how boring or unexciting the teams might actually be.

As far as small markets go, it remains possible to draw high ratings too. As long as the public sees you as an exciting team, the market size does not matter much. Give them fast breaks, dunks, alley hoops, no look passes, 3pts... and you're suddenly as popular as NYC or LA.

The Webber's Kings, the Nash's Phoenix Suns or the Durant's OKC Thunder just illustrate that

ballhog
05-22-2013, 06:52 AM
Who cares?

Exactly. Couldn't care less about ratings but that's what all the talk will be.

exstatic
05-22-2013, 06:54 AM
The networks do this to themselves. They SHIT on us all year, and the they are surprised when no one watches when we make one of our deep playoff runs. Duh.

703 Spurz
05-22-2013, 08:55 AM

I watched both games so you can't blame me

davidbowie
05-22-2013, 09:54 AM
winning is boring

100%duncan
05-22-2013, 10:03 AM
Who cares?

CubanMustGo
05-22-2013, 10:56 AM
Winning >>>> Ratings

Maddog
05-22-2013, 11:58 AM

Not many suburbs at all. You can drive directly from SA into the Hill Country.

The whole seventh largest city is always laughable.
Metropolitan area is probably the best estimate, while there varying ways of calculating this- SA comes out 28-31.
Combined total between Memphis and San Antonio is roughly 3.6 million
The LA metro area is ~ 18 million alone. Add in San Diego and Riverside you get 7+ million more.
While I agree the NBA marketing strategy has slighted the SPurs and set themselves up for these kinds of problems-I am not sure the NFL strategy works as Basketball is more of an individual sport. You can see the players faces, Different styles of laying etc.
That said, while it may not play well in the US-the NBA could have really marketed the SPurs in Europe and South America

703 Spurz
05-22-2013, 12:10 PM
:cry no one likes us :cry

I'd rather be popular than 2 games from the Finals b2b years

:shootme

Beaverfuzz
05-22-2013, 12:41 PM
who gives a shit?