PDA

View Full Version : LOL IRS takes the Fifth

CosmicCowboy
05-21-2013, 04:48 PM
The Los Angeles Times reported Tuesday afternoon that Lois Lerner, who heads up the Internal Revenue Service's tax-exempt division, plans to invoke the Fifth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution in a hearing Wednesday before the House Committee on Oversight and Government Affairs.

The Fifth Amendment provides that U.S. citizens may not be compelled to offer testimony if telling the truth would incriminate them.

Durant82
05-21-2013, 04:51 PM
Being such hardcore champions of the Constitution, this is a move I expect Tea Partiers to applaud.

CosmicCowboy
05-21-2013, 05:53 PM
Is this a new troll or just a recycled old troll?

Durant82
05-21-2013, 06:07 PM
So champions of the Constitution won't be happy about someone exercising their 5th amendment rights?

spursncowboys
05-21-2013, 07:29 PM
Being such hardcore champions of the Constitution, this is a move I expect Tea Partiers to applaud.
Who are you?

spursncowboys
05-21-2013, 07:30 PM
Is this a new troll or just a recycled old troll?
Just finished his first semester of his political science degree. He def has that blend of ignorance and arrogance.

spursncowboys
05-21-2013, 07:34 PM
So champions of the Constitution won't be happy about someone exercising their 5th amendment rights?
Why would they. I'd imagine this generality would include their hatred for the IRS and the sixteenth amendment. Or maybe your generalized group are a bunch of racist rednecks who are against anything Obama is doing because he's black. Seems like a childish idea you would correlate.

Th'Pusher
05-21-2013, 07:44 PM
Why would they. I'd imagine this generality would include their hatred for the IRS and the sixteenth amendment. Or maybe your generalized group are a bunch of racist rednecks who are against anything Obama is doing because he's black. Seems like a childish idea you would correlate.

Wtf are you talking about dude? Do you even know what pleading the fifth means?

Durant82
05-21-2013, 07:58 PM
Last i checked Tea Partiers find any opportunity to champion the sovereignty of the constitution. How Constitutional rights are godly and pure and should never be taken away from us. So, since they love the Constitution so much, i simply assumed Tea Partiers would applaud Lerner exercising her Fifth Amendment right instead of testifying about the IRS scandal. She has Constitutional Rights and she's using them. It's what the Tea Party wants, right?

spursncowboys
05-21-2013, 09:04 PM
Wtf are you talking about dude? Do you even know what pleading the fifth means?
WTF are you talking about? This OP got trolled. I'm responding to the new topic.

spursncowboys
05-21-2013, 09:05 PM
Last i checked Tea Partiers find any opportunity to champion the sovereignty of the constitution. How Constitutional rights are godly and pure and should never be taken away from us. So, since they love the Constitution so much, i simply assumed Tea Partiers would applaud Lerner exercising her Fifth Amendment right instead of testifying about the IRS scandal. She has Constitutional Rights and she's using them. It's what the Tea Party wants, right?
Who are these tea partiers you speak of? Maybe if we have one of the spokespeople or a specific group, if would be easier...

Th'Pusher
05-21-2013, 09:08 PM
WTF are you talking about? This OP got trolled. I'm responding to the new topic.
How did the op get trolled?

Durant82
05-21-2013, 09:13 PM
Who are these tea partiers you speak of? Maybe if we have one of the spokespeople or a specific group, if would be easier...
So people who claim to be part of the "Tea Party" don't claim to champion the Constitution?

spursncowboys
05-21-2013, 09:19 PM
So people who claim to be part of the "Tea Party" don't claim to champion the Constitution?
IDK all the Tea Party people. But IMO, as a person who likes the original tea party idea, pleading the fifth is great and all. But that's for court. You plead the fifth so you don't incriminate yourself. Meaning she's guilty. I personally think she's doing this to avoid lawsuits. I think to make sure this never happens again, they should just get rid of the IRS.

spursncowboys
05-21-2013, 09:21 PM
where did you get the champion the constitution phrase? What does that even mean? Like defend it? Isn't that what the President and every citizen are supposed to do?

Durant82
05-21-2013, 09:22 PM
IDK all the Tea Party people. But IMO, as a person who likes the original tea party idea, pleading the fifth is great and all. But that's for court. You plead the fifth so you don't incriminate yourself. Meaning she's guilty. I personally think she's doing this to avoid lawsuits. I think to make sure this never happens again, they should just get rid of the IRS.

I think she's exercising the freedoms she has a Constitutional right to, and therefore has no guilt whatsoever. You must hate America.

Durant82
05-21-2013, 09:23 PM
where did you get the champion the constitution phrase? What does that even mean? Like defend it? Isn't that what the President and every citizen are supposed to do?

Some seem to be more selective about which parts they defend and which parts they conveniently ignore and then attempt to rationalize their hypocrisy with "the Bible says this".

Goran Dragic
05-21-2013, 09:38 PM
I like how sean jacquemotte's de facto insult is "You must be college educated!" because his stupid ass thinks having a college education is a bad thing :lmao

spursncowboys
05-21-2013, 09:56 PM
I think she's exercising the freedoms she has a Constitutional right to, and therefore has no guilt whatsoever. You must hate America. The whole point of someone invoking the fifth is so they do not have to self incriminate. Maybe you should read the fifth amendment. Sounds like you are picking and choosing.

spursncowboys
05-21-2013, 09:58 PM
I like how sean jacquemotte's de facto insult is "You must be college educated!" because his stupid ass thinks having a college education is a bad thing :lmao
Did your other troll get banned again coward? I never said college education is a bad thing.

Nbadan
05-22-2013, 12:03 AM
Even if Lerner intentionally targeted these non-political, political organizations it's not illegal...

The Reckoning
05-22-2013, 02:37 AM
since when can the government plead the 5th?? lol

it's to protect us from the government, not the government from us...

CosmicCowboy
05-22-2013, 06:36 AM

X2

CosmicCowboy
05-22-2013, 06:38 AM
She has probably figured out that they have decided to make her the scapegoat.

countermove is to give her immunity for COMPLETE testimony of who knew what/when.

Durant82
05-22-2013, 08:30 AM

She has a Constitutional Right to exercise the Fifth Amendment. You must hate America and freedom.

Rick Santorum
05-22-2013, 08:37 AM
Lol pat's little brother.

The Reckoning
05-22-2013, 08:46 AM
She has a Constitutional Right to exercise the Fifth Amendment. You must hate America and freedom.

well i did move out of the country tbh. my skills are better served elsewhere.

you know, in a place where the government can't use an amendment protecting citizens from it to protect itself from citizens, or a place where laws such as the Patriot Act aren't implemented.

it's disgusting how little personal freedoms we have compared to other developed nations.

the government using the Bill of Rights to defend itself in violating personal freedoms is a tragic irony.

The Reckoning
05-22-2013, 08:47 AM
Lol pat's little brother.

Sup Rick, how's the fam?

Rick Santorum
05-22-2013, 09:05 AM
Sup Rick, how's the fam?
Oh, the usual. My wife aborted another fetus and we're deciding what to name it before we set up a fetus play-date between it (can't tell if it's a boy or girl for purposes of pronouns) and Gabriel.

101A
05-22-2013, 09:07 AM

Not a Tea Partier; but a pretty ardent supporter of the Constitution.

I applaud the fact that dude has the right to plead the 5th.

I am concerned that a high ranking executive in the most feared department of our government feels compelled to do so.

I can only assume (not on a jury after all), that his invoking of his constitutionally guaranteed right means that he could offer testimony that would incriminate him in some (presumably) illegal partisan scheme to disrupt the funding mechanism for people of a specific political bent during a presidential election.

tlongII
05-22-2013, 09:10 AM
No big deal, but it's a "she" not a "he".

Sportcamper
05-23-2013, 09:06 AM
If you take the 5th you are not allowed to make a statement…By saying, I did nothing wrong waves your right to take the 5th…

Try saying…Mistakes were made but I did nothing wrong & I take the 5th on your IRS audit & see how things go…

ElNono
05-23-2013, 09:36 AM
Contrary to the perceived popular opinion running on this thread, pleading the fifth doesn't automatically mean you're guilty of the crime alleged.

CosmicCowboy
05-23-2013, 09:41 AM
Contrary to the perceived popular opinion running on this thread, pleading the fifth doesn't automatically mean you're guilty of the crime alleged.

So give me a rational reason she would take the 5th if she did nothing wrong.

spursncowboys
05-23-2013, 09:42 AM
But the idea of pleading the fifth is so you do not incriminate yourself. So by answering questions you would be guilty, correct?

Th'Pusher
05-23-2013, 09:55 AM
So give me a rational reason she would take the 5th if she did nothing wrong.
She's under criminal investigation.

Clipper Nation
05-23-2013, 10:04 AM
She has the right to plead the 5th, but that does not absolve her from criticism for using it....

Th'Pusher
05-23-2013, 10:15 AM
Any good lawyer will advise their client to plead the 5th if currently under or they suspec a criminal investigation.

CosmicCowboy
05-23-2013, 12:01 PM
Any good lawyer will advise their client to plead the 5th if currently under or they suspec a criminal investigation.

Not true. They are not going to advise a client that is demonstratively innocent to plead the fifth.

Th'Pusher
05-23-2013, 12:22 PM
Not true. They are not going to advise a client that is demonstratively innocent to plead the fifth.
Legaly, What would be the benefit of having the client testify in front of a committee stacked with polititians looking to score political points by making you look bad? There is absolutely no reason to put your client in that position. He will attempt to demonstrate her innocence in a court.

i personally think this woman is a moron and I can't believe she hasn't been terminated, but I don't think her pleading the fifth says much about her guilt or innocence.

BobaFett1
05-23-2013, 12:23 PM
Woman is gonna be canned and get a trial. She was a dumb bitch and talked.