PDA

View Full Version : Grizzlies Adjustments for game 3

Obstructed_View
05-22-2013, 12:07 AM
Pray Pop continues to keep Bonner and Neal in the lineup for extended periods.

Seriously, that's it. They have no shot otherwise.

ShoogarBear
05-22-2013, 12:09 AM
Tony Allen plays in a neck brace.

angelbelow
05-22-2013, 12:10 AM
Pray Bayless and Pondexter catch fire.. get Duncan into foul trouble again.

Darius McCrary
05-22-2013, 12:10 AM

What about Pop playing Parker without his typical 2nd half rest?? Parker was dogcrap out there for most of the 2nd half, and was heroballing us into OT before the Manu Foul That Shall Not Be Named.

DPG21920
05-22-2013, 12:12 AM
OV: You still don't think rebounding is a possible concern? Spurs not only were destroyed overall but they gave up double digit offenisve boards. Memphis missed a lot of put backs that you would have to think go in if the rebounding does not sure up. Yes, Tim was in foul trouble, but they were trailing when he went out in the REB department.

kaji157
05-22-2013, 12:13 AM
They are going to flop a lot because they´ve seen it works.
Also they will hack Parker and Ginobili in the paint because they know they won´t be called.
Manu will kill them from 3.

Yes, i said that.

TheGoldStandard
05-22-2013, 12:15 AM
Memphis is going to hold the Tony Allen drill during the off days, grab something and fall on the floor and act like you've been shot. Then pop up and be okay. Unless the refs hand them another game then we should be fine. I'll say we win game 3 lose game 4 and finish them off here game 5

dbreiden83080
05-22-2013, 12:15 AM
IF we win game 3 we will bury these fuckers. They are going to expect the Spurs to let down and give away game 3.. Lets go get it..

TheGoldStandard
05-22-2013, 12:16 AM
Haha then we'll see ESPN jump on the bandwagon for 1 game.

Warlord23
05-22-2013, 12:17 AM
Jokes apart, I think Hollins is getting the message, albeit slowly:
Prince + Allen: 42 mins
Bayless + Pondexter: 71 mins

Next game Prince probably drops out of the starting lineup and plays even fewer minutes

MR-Clutch
05-22-2013, 12:17 AM
6-7 of those boards came on that one possession, am I wrong?

2centsworth
05-22-2013, 12:18 AM
Grizzlies have to dominate the boards and shoot effectively from the outside or Spurs need to make boneheaded plays down the stretch to lose the game.

Darius McCrary
05-22-2013, 12:19 AM
OV: You still don't think rebounding is a possible concern? Spurs not only were destroyed overall but they gave up double digit offenisve boards. Memphis missed a lot of put backs that you would have to think go in if the rebounding does not sure up. Yes, Tim was in foul trouble, but they were trailing when he went out in the REB department.

ppfFFFFFffFFFFfffFFFFFFF Randolph got a majority of those within a spat of a few plays within a few minutes

ElNono
I think one of the biggest adjustments they found that worked for them is one I mentioned in my Game 2 adjustment thread: sit TA/Prince and post up ZBo with Pontdexter and Bayless spreading the floor. It worked against our bench guys pretty well. That's what erased a bulk of the big lead. With Prince giving them almost nothing on offense, and very little on defense, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets benched early in Game 3 or doesn't even start.

Nathan89

Had about 6 of those on one non-scoring possession. They get a lot of at the rim rebounds like Blair use to on offense. It's often very deceiving.

Brunodf
05-22-2013, 12:20 AM
No, most of them were vs Diaw/Bonner lineup and 7 straight vs Duncan/Splitter(missed all)

RD2191
05-22-2013, 12:21 AM
We are going to get blown out in game 3. Memphis gets away with murder at home. They also get massive ref help. I would be absolutely shocked if Tim didn't get into foul trouble early.

apalisoc_9
05-22-2013, 12:22 AM

If you go back to the game, Memphis at one particular play had 6 straight offensive boards..

HarlemHeat37
05-22-2013, 12:33 AM
Memphis made the most obvious adjustments in the 2nd half of game 2 that should have been made in game 1 and in the first half of game 2: less Prince, more Pondexter/Bayless..

That's the only adjustment they really have, tbh..

The Grizzlies' adjustments in games 3 and 4 isn't technically an adjustment..they are going to receive an egregious officiating advantage, similar to tonight's 2nd half..the Grizzlies are given a pass to murder opposing teams at home, they are the most ref-reliant team in the league, as I've been saying for weeks, tbh..

siraulo23
05-22-2013, 12:33 AM
grizz are capable of shutting down the spurs...

game 3 is gonna be tough as fuck, but the spurs can get that game as long as they rebound and make a couple of open 3s

DPG21920
05-22-2013, 12:34 AM
Subtract 6 - they still have 13 offensive rebounds and still pounded the Spurs overall on the glass. Most of MEM offense comes from OFF REB and they destroyed the Spurs there and it's part of what allowed them to stay in the game: extra possessions. Not to mention drawing a foul from it and they missed some easy ones which would have boosted their scoring.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-22-2013, 12:36 AM
I'd be shocked if they don't start Poindexter in Prince's place for game 3.

And first team to 70 wins on Saturday.

pgardn
05-22-2013, 12:36 AM
Randolph adds the suplex to his wrasslin arsenal.

GSH
05-22-2013, 01:35 AM

Rebounding was always my biggest concern against Memphis. The Spurs aren't going to out-rebound Memphis often. But if they keep the margin close, and keep the points in the paint close, Memphis can't win this series. Surprisingly, even with the Griz killing them on the offensive glass, the Spurs still outscored them in the paint. The rebounding was pretty much even at the end of the first half. I don't have the numbers for second chance points, but in general the Spurs did a pretty good job of limiting the damage from Memphis' offensive rebounds.

Here's a few other things about the rebounding that sort of ease the sting:

With 50 seconds left in the first half, Randolph had 3 defensive and 1 offensive boards. He got an easy one off Kawhi's missed 3-pointer. Then he got 3 quick offensive rebounds on that one crazy play under the Grizzlies basket, and he finished the half with 4 and 4. In the third quarter he had just 1 defensive and 1 offensive rebound. He picked up another cheap defensive board at the start of the 4th, off another missed 3-pointer. It was that whistle-fest in the 4th, when they gave the fifth foul to Duncan, and two quick ones to Bonner, that really let the dogs out. It changed the way the Spurs were able to defend, and it allowed Randolph a lot more freedom in the blocks. It also meant that Tim wasn't available to contest for a long period of time. That's not meant to bitch about the calls, just to explain what it took for Memphis to get that rebounding margin.

At the end of regulation Randolph had 14 rebounds. We can live with that. He had 9 defensive, and 5 offensive boards - and considering three of the offensive boards came on that one play (where Memphis didn't score), we can live with that too. Gasol finished regulation with 11 defensive and 2 offensive boards. We can live with that, too. We can't live with letting Allen scoop 4 offensive rebounds on a regular basis, like he did tonight. And we can't live with Splitter having just 4 defensive and no offensive rebounds. But I don't think the rebounding was quite as big of a problem as it appears. Still a concern, but no reason to jump ship.

[Edit:] Here it is - the Griz only outscored the Spurs 8-2 in second chance points tonight. Like I said, they did a good job of limiting the damage. Maybe they can't do that every game, but as long as we don't have the same kind of foul trouble, the Griz can't pile up that big of a rebounding edge every night either. They didn't in the regular season.

spurraider21
05-22-2013, 01:43 AM
tony allen should suffer more concussions. that strategy seems to work well for them

SA210
05-22-2013, 01:46 AM

If that's the case, they might be in luck.

Mal
05-22-2013, 01:48 AM
get Duncan into foul trouble again.

This

KaiRMD1
05-22-2013, 01:49 AM
Hope Spurs miss shots?

Mal
05-22-2013, 01:53 AM
Only thing, that comes to my mind for Grizzlies is to keep Duncan out of paint. He was +22 today. Rim was protected, despite Grizzlies attacking it all the time. Splitter, Diaw and fucking Matt Bonner were pushed.

Grizzlies made their comeback with Duncan on the bench, which is significant.

Kidd K
05-22-2013, 02:18 AM
Main adjustments: Flop more since the refs are clearly willing to bail them out when they can't score, hope the refs call cheap fouls on Duncan even earlier than they did in game 2, try fouling even more often since the refs barely called any of their fouls under the basket.

That's probably the jist of their gameplan. They need Duncan and other Spurs bigs (mostly Duncan) to pick up fouls so they can score more easily. If Duncan stays out of foul trouble, they will likely continue to struggle until the refs open up the game for them by taking Duncan out of it again.

Budkin
05-22-2013, 02:24 AM
Hope the Spurs miss and that Tim Duncan fouls out. Otherwise they are fucked.

Obstructed_View
05-22-2013, 02:36 AM
It's a good thought, but I don't really think so, and here's why:

First, Rebounding is a problem if you aren't giving the effort. It's something you shore up and focus on if you're the Spurs, but the Grizzlies can't gameplan to get 19 offensive rebounds any more than they can gameplan to get a bullshit flagrant foul call in the closing seconds of the game.

Second, a lot of the reason the Grizzlies got so many rebounds is because they were missing shots. That's a downside, but it's statistically insignificant if the Spurs are playing good inside defense. They got six offensive rebounds on a single possession, but they came away -2 as Allen fouled Duncan who hit both freebies.

Also, the first adjustment you make when you're outrebounded like that is not having Matt Bonner in for 27 minutes tbh.

Rapper
05-22-2013, 03:46 AM
Grizzlies will win 3 straight games that said the spurs will down by 2-3 , a close win will be taken by the spurs in game 6 (2 OTs) to force a Game 7 , finally the spurs will take Game 7 at home to finish the series

Mal
05-22-2013, 03:51 AM
Grizzlies will win 3 straight games that said the spurs will down by 2-3 , a close win will be taken by the spurs in game 6 (2 OTs) to force a Game 7 , finally the spurs will take Game 7 at home to finish the series

When Memphis will take 3-2 lead, they will close out that backdoor sweep for sure. Or Stern will make sure of it - see WCF 2012 g6

TampaDude
05-22-2013, 04:54 AM

Grizz ain't winning 3 straight in this series. You're on crack.

Spurs in 5.

ezau
05-22-2013, 05:39 AM
I just don't see this Grizzlies team being able to win three or even four against the Spurs. Sure they rallied in Game 2, but the Spurs took their best shot and the Grizzlies still fell short. This ain't a Thunder team with three very talented wing players who can go off any time. Spurs will split, then wrap this up in 5.

100%duncan
05-22-2013, 08:03 AM
Pay Stern more.

romain.star
05-22-2013, 08:10 AM

I agree that rebounding is an recurrent issue... last night however, around 8 Memphis offensive rebounds came from one action

2centsworth
05-22-2013, 08:23 AM
Pondexter Balyess keeps us honest and limits Khawi and Green from helping. It's a significant adjustment. We should counter by relentlessly attacking the basket and getting their bigs in foul trouble. I fear we will settle for the 3.

MaNu4Tres
05-22-2013, 08:46 AM
Subtract 6 - they still have 13 offensive rebounds and still pounded the Spurs overall on the glass. Most of MEM offense comes from OFF REB and they destroyed the Spurs there and it's part of what allowed them to stay in the game: extra possessions. Not to mention drawing a foul from it and they missed some easy ones which would have boosted their scoring.

On the same token, Memphis missed some easy put backs or layups because we had 3-4 guys in there contesting those put backs.

Credit Memphis for doing well on the glass, but credit the Spurs for contesting and not giving up on those put backs.

Hollins, some fans, and some analysts are acting like the Grizzlies are missing wide open lay-ups. That couldn't be more far from the truth. Spurs are contesting just about everything.

Spurs have to do better on the boards and I imagine they will if Duncan stays out of foul trouble.

DPG21920
05-22-2013, 01:20 PM
I would agree for the most part - however, even contested, those are makeable shots - at least more than they have been. Also, Spurs were getting hammered on the glass before Tim was in foul trouble and even in Golden State series rebounding issues surfaced.