PDA

View Full Version : How bad is our rebounding...

ElNono
05-22-2013, 02:14 AM
For these entire playoffs (minus tonight's game), per 36 with more than 100 minutes played:

1) Tim Duncan 9.9
2) Kawhi Leonard 7.6
3) Manu Ginobili 6.1
4) Tiago Splitter 6.0
5) Corey Joseph 5.5
6) Boris Diaw 5.3
7) Danny Green 4.9
8) Matt Bonner 4.9
9) Gary Neal 4.8
10) Tony Parker 3.8

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/SAS/2013.html#playoffs_per_minute::17

-----------------

Either guys like Manu and Joseph are incredibly overachieving in the rebounding department, or guys like Splitter have been incredibly underwhelming.

Also Green has to step up in this category, IMO.

GSH
05-22-2013, 02:31 AM
The Spurs have been spreading the rebounding duties through the playoffs, for sure.
Tiago is a big rebounding disappointment, for a 7-footer.
Danny averages 3 boards per game - in the playoffs he's brought down: (LA) 4,3,4,5 (GS) 1,6,4,7,3,4 (Mem) 4,4 . Other than Game 1 against Golden State, he's been pretty solid. He's averaged over 4 per game, compared to 3 in the regular season. They may need more from him, but you can't fault a guy too much when he steps up his game in the playoffs.

The Spurs are always low on offensive rebounding - it's part of Pop's philosophy of getting back on defense. This year, the Spurs DRB% was 74.9, compared to 74.3 for the Grizzlies. Looking at the games in the regular season, the Spurs pretty much held their own against Memphis in the rebounding department. As they did in Game 1. And as they did in the first half tonight. It was only in the second half, when Duncan got into foul trouble, that they really got seriously beaten on the boards. And I already mentioned it in another thread, but even tonight with the rebounding margin so large, the Spurs outscored Memphis in the paint, and the second-chance points were only 8-2 in favor of Memphis.

I think it's going to take a rebounding margin, plus foul trouble, plus a much better shooting percentage for the Griz to challenge in this series.

ElNono
05-22-2013, 02:38 AM
The Spurs have been spreading the rebounding duties through the playoffs, for sure.
Tiago is a big rebounding disappointment, for a 7-footer.
Danny averages 3 boards per game - in the playoffs he's brought down: (LA) 4,3,4,5 (GS) 1,6,4,7,3,4 (Mem) 4,4 . Other than Game 1 against Golden State, he's been pretty solid. He's averaged over 4 per game, compared to 3 in the regular season. They may need more from him, but you can't fault a guy too much when he steps up his game in the playoffs.

The Spurs are always low on offensive rebounding - it's part of Pop's philosophy of getting back on defense. This year, the Spurs DRB% was 74.9, compared to 74.3 for the Grizzlies. Looking at the games in the regular season, the Spurs pretty much held their own against Memphis in the rebounding department. As they did in Game 1. And as they did in the first half tonight. It was only in the second half, when Duncan got into foul trouble, that they really got seriously beaten on the boards. And I already mentioned it in another thread, but even tonight with the rebounding margin so large, the Spurs outscored Memphis in the paint, and the second-chance points were only 8-2 in favor of Memphis.

I think it's going to take a rebounding margin, plus foul trouble, plus a much better shooting percentage for the Griz to challenge in this series.

This is for the entire playoffs, tbh... didn't mean to make it about this particular game. I agree Splitter is very underwhelming, IMO.

You could explain some of the lack of rebounding since we played against GSW that liked to shoot from the outside a lot (thus long rebounds), but Neal and Green having basically the same rebounding rate doesn't quite look right.

BG_Spurs_Fan
05-22-2013, 02:42 AM
but Neal and Green having basically the same rebounding rate doesn't quite look right.

That's not a stick to beat Danny Green with - Neal's only saving grace these playoffs has been his rebounding, he's done a good job really. If only he could shoot straight too...

ElNono
05-22-2013, 02:44 AM
That's not a stick to beat Danny Green with - Neal's only saving grace these playoffs has been his rebounding, he's done a good job really. If only he could shoot straight too...

haven't noticed... that would explain that.

Brunodf
05-22-2013, 02:49 AM
Rebounding is not the problem, the Spurs were outrebounding the Grizzlies until Timmy picked his 4th foul. Small ball is the problem

GSH
05-22-2013, 03:06 AM
This is for the entire playoffs, tbh... didn't mean to make it about this particular game. I agree Splitter is very underwhelming, IMO.

You could explain some of the lack of rebounding since we played against GSW that liked to shoot from the outside a lot (thus long rebounds), but Neal and Green having basically the same rebounding rate doesn't quite look right.

I didn't even notice that your numbers were per 36. (I know... learn to read.) Some of that may just be distortion from relatively small samples. It only takes a few extra rebounds to jack up per 36 numbers when the minutes are that limited. Like how Blair's per 36 number is almost identical to Tim's. Neal and CoJo have probably faced smaller and/or less physical lineups, in general. And when the Spurs hold their opponents to such low shooting percentages, like they have since the third game against GS, there are going to be lots of boards up for grabs.

I was looking more at the team as a whole. They've held their own on the boards, even against Memphis, except for that stretch tonight when Tim was in foul trouble. And I had been noticing the way the rebounds are being spread around, and thinking that might be a good thing if we go to the finals - especially if it's against Miami.

ElNono
05-22-2013, 03:07 AM
I didn't even notice that your numbers were per 36. (I know... learn to read.) Some of that may just be distortion from relatively small samples. It only takes a few extra rebounds to jack up per 36 numbers when the minutes are that limited. Like how Blair's per 36 number is almost identical to Tim's. Neal and CoJo have probably faced smaller and/or less physical lineups, in general. And when the Spurs hold their opponents to such low shooting percentages, like they have since the third game against GS, there are going to be lots of boards up for grabs.

I was looking more at the team as a whole. They've held their own on the boards, even against Memphis, except for that stretch tonight when Tim was in foul trouble. And I had been noticing the way the rebounds are being spread around, and thinking that might be a good thing if we go to the finals - especially if it's against Miami.

Yeah, that's why I limited to players with over 100 minutes played... otherwise you get Blair and T-Mac(:lol) with some great numbers that really don't belong.

Mal
05-22-2013, 03:12 AM
Spurs are giving a lot of 2nd chance, strictly hustle points. Those are rebounds are fought. Jumping from behind, attacking offensive rim. I guess other teams coaches emphases this. And Spurs having decent rebounders, but being deep in help defense, dont box out properly, especially mobile, athletics wing players. This is a serious matter to adjust, the way Memphis is bricking, getting those rebound, could help setting pace of the game.