PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Cleveland with the No1 pick

TheRealCB
05-22-2013, 06:27 AM
So Cleveland wins the 1st pick for the 2nd time in 3 years..Who do you think they should pick?? I don't follow NCAA other than March Madness so I have no opinion,but I know I don't like a 220 pound center as a first pick.

And how about the Wizards? John Wall,Bradley Beal,Nene,Okafor and now a #3 pick. Could they aim at the 6th seed next year?

Mal
05-22-2013, 06:37 AM
Cavs will pick Noel and try to sell Varejao for decent SF scorer, I dont know maybe Pacers will bite for Granger.

They`ll have Irving, Waiters, SF, Thompson, Noel and they could build something around that.

TheRealCB
05-22-2013, 07:05 AM
Cavs will pick Noel and try to sell Varejao for decent SF scorer, I dont know maybe Pacers will bite for Granger.

They`ll have Irving, Waiters, SF, Thompson, Noel and they could build something around that.

Imo that's a horrible team and a bottom-5 defensive one.

I think they'd be better off picking Trey Burke or that dude Shabaazz.

Edit:Meant Bennett or Shabaazz.

JoeTait75
05-22-2013, 07:19 AM
They kind of have to take Noel, imo.

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-22-2013, 07:25 AM
I would look heavily into the market and see what I can get for it, if I'm on the Cavs. Irving, Thompson, Waiters, Zeller is enough youngins to build around. Bring in a vet who can help Kyrie now.

AaronY
05-22-2013, 07:34 AM
Take Noel..he sits out year to recover..Irving misses 30..Varejao misses half..tank to get number one again:

Irving
Waiters
Wiggins
Noel
Varejao

Steal Phoenix's training staff..eightpeat..

They got Mike Brown dough, forgot about that..add "hire competent coach" before eightpeat..

Captivus
05-22-2013, 07:46 AM
There are 2 options, IMO:
1- Long Term: draft Noel and be a lottery team next year also, and the next year compite with a full team (Kirie, Noel, Lottery Pick 2014 and others)
2- Short Term: Trade the 1st Pick, with a top 5 lottery team. Noel for Top 5 Pick + new player. That way they can compete the next season.

The good news is that Kiries contract doesnt expire next season, they have at least 1 more. So they can risk a bad season one more time. Otherwise, at the risk of lossing Kirie (The Decission #2) they will choose something like option 2, short term, win now.

Important Issues:
- Does Cleveland even like Noel?
- If Option 2:Can the Wizards risk another year, Wall's contract expires next season. (not including the QO).
- What about the Suns and Orlando?
- Is Bennett or Porter the best fit for Cleveland, assuming the PG ans SG position are locked?

100%duncan
05-22-2013, 07:54 AM
Noel is kinda a locked of #1 tbh.

TheRealCB
05-22-2013, 08:19 AM
They kind of have to take Noel, imo.

Yeah I know,but that kind of thinking has killed teams in the past.Noel is not and will NEVER be a good NBA center. His ceiling is black birdman,come on...Everyone must see it.

Mal
05-22-2013, 09:10 AM
Yeah I know,but that kind of thinking has killed teams in the past.Noel is not and will NEVER be a good NBA center. His ceiling is black birdman,come on...Everyone must see it.

I`m also not so high on him. But taking Oladipo or Bennett with #1 pick is a waist. And there again Pacers come to my attention. Since they have Granger, who can play, have good contract and probably is worth giving up #1 draft pick in weak draft. #1 + fillers for Granger and Indiana`s pick could happen. Cavs will be playoff contender, will have salary space for summer 2014.

TDMVPDPOY
05-22-2013, 09:21 AM
even if they end up tankn againt next season for another lottery pick, i doubt wiggins wants to play with kyrie, dude wants to be a star imo, you cant be a star if your playing behind another guy

cd98
05-22-2013, 11:50 AM
Wizards were a good team when they got Wall back from injury. Getting the number two player is just more gravy. With all that talent, they need to be much better next year.

Thunder Dan
05-22-2013, 02:20 PM
Bottom 5 defensive team?!

We got Mike Brown back, hellooooo bottom 5 offensive team, top 5 defensive team.

Robz4000
05-22-2013, 02:23 PM
I`m also not so high on him. But taking Oladipo or Bennett with #1 pick is a waist. And there again Pacers come to my attention. Since they have Granger, who can play, have good contract and probably is worth giving up #1 draft pick in weak draft. #1 + fillers for Granger and Indiana`s pick could happen. Cavs will be playoff contender, will have salary space for summer 2014.

Was just about to post something like this. :tu

Mal
05-22-2013, 02:54 PM
even if they end up tankn againt next season for another lottery pick, i doubt wiggins wants to play with kyrie, dude wants to be a star imo, you cant be a star if your playing behind another guy

And how would you know that ? And what Wiggins would do, if Cavs selected him with #1 pick in 2014 ? Refuse to play with Kyrie and go to Europe to be a star? ??

hater
05-22-2013, 02:56 PM
they need a bigman. If no bigman, they need to trade it for a bigman.

Robz4000
05-22-2013, 03:11 PM
they need a bigman. If no bigman, they need to trade it for a bigman.

They have Tristain Thompson and Varejao, along with Zeller. That's good enough provided Varejao stays healthy, tho they could always trade him for something. IMO their weak link atm is SF.

hater
05-22-2013, 03:16 PM
They have Tristain Thompson and Varejao, along with Zeller. That's good enough provided Varejao stays healthy, tho they could always trade him for something. IMO their weak link atm is SF.

who?

never heard of those guys but with the #1 pick IMO they need somehow to get a young bigman a la Brook Lopez, Kevin Love IMO

what about that bigman from portland? he's been there and going nowhere. trade for him imo

TheRealCB
05-22-2013, 03:18 PM
who?

never heard of those guys but with the #1 pick IMO they need somehow to get a young bigman a la Brook Lopez, Kevin Love IMO

what about that bigman from portland? he's been there and going nowhere. trade for him imo

So you want to send a player that almost missed a whole season because of an injury to Portland..That's just cruel man :lol

hater
05-22-2013, 03:23 PM
seriously imagine a team with Kyrie and Aldridge :wow :wow

make it happen :tu

Robz4000
05-22-2013, 03:28 PM
who?

They're both solid. Thompson isn't a good defender, but next to Varejao his D will look better. Zeller's had a decent season this past year as a starter after Varejao went down, so playing as a backup may enhance his numbers. Hickson is just another version of Thompson (good rebounder and scorer at times, but bad defensively) so trading for him would be redundant. Neither Minny or Brooklyn would trade their bigs to Cleveland outside of acquiring Irving, and even then both are set at PG. Only scenario I see happening is if Varejao is traded for another big of a similar skillset.

JoeTait75
05-22-2013, 03:46 PM
I'm not sold on Tyler Zeller. He is beyond soft. When the Cavaliers played out in Sacramento he literally looked scared of DeMarcus Cousins. Cannot guard anyone and I'm not sure he ever will.

Robz4000
05-22-2013, 03:58 PM
I'm not sold on Tyler Zeller. He is beyond soft. When the Cavaliers played out in Sacramento he literally looked scared of DeMarcus Cousins. Cannot guard anyone and I'm not sure he ever will.

Don't think he'd make be a good 3rd big?

baseline bum
05-22-2013, 04:57 PM

Black Birdman? I gotta strongly disagree. Noel has the agility, timing, and athleticism to be a good bet to develop into another Ben Wallace if he can stay healthy. Noel is such a gifted shotblocker and could be a devastating alley-oop option the way Chandler was when he played with Chris Paul in New Orleans. I don't have any doubts he can put on a good 20-30 pounds; the kid is only 19. If you don't take Noel it's gotta be because of his injury history, but the guy is brimming with potential to be a very good NBA player.

baseline bum
05-22-2013, 05:02 PM
I would look heavily into the market and see what I can get for it, if I'm on the Cavs. Irving, Thompson, Waiters, Zeller is enough youngins to build around. Bring in a vet who can help Kyrie now.

Irving is the only guy on that list worth building around (though he is an incredible piece for sure). Cleveland would be morons to be thinking playoffs this season. They really need another year of tanking to add another piece in next year's draft. I think I'd swing for the fences with Noel here. If they're scared off by his injury history, then yeah, trade down for assets and a later pick and maybe see if they can snag a guy like Shabazz Muhammed or something.

TheRealCB
05-22-2013, 05:34 PM
Black Birdman? I gotta strongly disagree. Noel has the agility, timing, and athleticism to be a good bet to develop into another Ben Wallace if he can stay healthy. Noel is such a gifted shotblocker and could be a devastating alley-oop option the way Chandler was when he played with Chris Paul in New Orleans. I don't have any doubts he can put on a good 20-30 pounds; the kid is only 19. If you don't take Noel it's gotta be because of his injury history, but the guy is brimming with potential to be a very good NBA player.

I don't know,maybe you're right.I just don't think that a 206 pound guy (looked it up) can be an NBA center.

baseline bum
05-22-2013, 05:38 PM
I don't know,maybe you're right.I just don't think that a 206 pound guy (looked it up) can be an NBA center.

Funny... DraftExpress/NBAdraft.net list him at 206, while Kentucky/ESPN at 228. The 228 number seems pretty high, but he sure looks bigger than 206 IMO. I wonder if that 206 number is from last summer.

TheRealCB
05-22-2013, 05:40 PM
Funny... DraftExpress/NBAdraft.net list him at 206, while Kentucky/ESPN at 228. The 228 number seems pretty high, but he sure looks bigger than 206 IMO. I wonder if that 206 number is from last summer.

That's what I meant looked it up :lol

AaronY
05-22-2013, 05:59 PM
They should just keep Varejao at C and stick him at pf the defensive combo of those two would be unreal..Varejao is good to great at post D, defensive rebounding, and especially pick and roll defense..while Noel I'd flying around blocking shots V could be a force in other ways..his ultra elite defensive rebounding would come in super handy when Noel leaves himself out of position for rebounds when going after a shot..

JoeTait75
05-22-2013, 07:32 PM
Don't think he'd make be a good 3rd big?

I'm just not ready to say I'm good with him. You have to be able to guard people and he can't.

Kidd K
05-22-2013, 07:41 PM
I don't think Noel is a lock for #1, and I'm even less wanting to say that he will be a for sure great player.

After all, let's not forget how everyone was positive Oden was the best guy to take and not Durant. How'd that turn out again? And Noel has less potential than Oden did imo.

Rogue
05-22-2013, 09:23 PM
cleveland are stacked, they will have two #1 drafts playing in their jersey next season. just hope they can assemble a real contender with the all the wonder kids they have. the east need more competition imho

baseline bum
05-22-2013, 10:31 PM
I don't think Noel is a lock for #1, and I'm even less wanting to say that he will be a for sure great player.

After all, let's not forget how everyone was positive Oden was the best guy to take and not Durant. How'd that turn out again? And Noel has less potential than Oden did imo.

Durant had less potential than Oden too. Noel being the best choice at #1 is more an indictment of how weak this draft class is than anything.

Kidd K
05-22-2013, 11:05 PM
Durant had less potential than Oden too. Noel being the best choice at #1 is more an indictment of how weak this draft class is than anything.

Yeah. . .this year's draft class is terrible. Definitely looking like a "miss year".

mudyez
05-23-2013, 04:28 AM
The strategy has to be: Building a team with about same age guys that can grow together. I could see Irving as the #1 guy on a champion one day(even though there are options I'd like more). If you want to rush it, it will be LeBron all over again. If you stay disciplined it can be OKC '12.

There are different trade/nontrade ways to go that route but they shouldn't rush it.

BTW.: Can you see LeBron coming back to a team with this nice young group? I totaly can.

baseline bum
05-23-2013, 03:35 PM
The strategy has to be: Building a team with about same age guys that can grow together. I could see Irving as the #1 guy on a champion one day(even though there are options I'd like more). If you want to rush it, it will be LeBron all over again. If you stay disciplined it can be OKC '12.

There are different trade/nontrade ways to go that route but they shouldn't rush it.

BTW.: Can you see LeBron coming back to a team with this nice young group? I totaly can.

LeBron's not going back. Dude is going to be winning titles in Miami for a while and I doubt Arison breaks that team up until Wade completely breaks down.

JoeTait75
05-23-2013, 04:21 PM
LeBron's not going back. Dude is going to be winning titles in Miami for a while and I doubt Arison breaks that team up until Wade completely breaks down.

If they three-peat going into the summer of 2014 I think he'll stay for sure just for the chance to best MJ and win four straight. If they don't win it all in 2014 and Wade really shows signs of deteriorating all bets are off, IMO.

Personally I think there's a good chance LeBron will come back to Cleveland- just not necessarily in 2014. More likely later in his career when he's near the end of the line, imo.

Richie
05-23-2013, 04:38 PM

My only worry with that trade is that Granger is 30. If he were 27 I think it'd be a no brainer for the Cavs. Also, the Pacers only really need a point guard and it would be a waste to take one with the #1. Maybe they could go for McLemore for scoring.

Might they consider packaging the #1 with Varejao to get an all star level big man. #1 + Varejao for Horford/Aldridge/Love?

Mal
05-23-2013, 04:57 PM
Might they consider packaging the #1 with Varejao to get an all star level big man. #1 + Varejao for Horford/Aldridge/Love?

That`s great package, but only when you consider taking Guard/Forward with #1 or trading Varejao to 3rd team. Varejao and Noel cant play together. If I were Portland I would do it, if 3rd team would take Varejao for something valueable in return. Then Cavs with Irving, Waiters and Thompson, Aldridge, Zeller big men rotation :toast

TheCultOfPersonality
05-23-2013, 07:06 PM
When Nerlens Noel is considered to be worth the #1 pick in the draft, you know that this is either a really really horrible draft, or people have just really poor judgment of talent.