PDA

View Full Version : pop's pupils keep getting the pink slip.

dwayne shintzius
05-22-2013, 11:33 AM
1. avery
2. del negro
3. pj
4. lance blanks

just shows there is only one pop and rc; you can try and copy the blueprint, but there is only one original.

spursfan09
05-22-2013, 11:40 AM
Or that none of those team have what he's had: Tim Duncan.

cd98
05-22-2013, 11:59 AM
I think it's actually more about how fickle NBA teams are with their coaches. GMs hardly ever get fired, despite having horrible track records. They always scapegoat the coach. Sometimes they don't even give them a chance. Like Mike Brown and Avery Johnson...both barely had any time to build continuity with their teams before they were fired. Even worse, some are fired after having solid records. For example, Mike Brown had a solid record in Cleaveland. PJ did a great job with what I think is a flawed Nets team. But they were canned and their replacements won't be any better.

In fairness, I wouldn't consider Del Negro a pupil of Pop. Sure he played under Pop, but he never was an assistant coach under him. And he's another good example of a guy that had decent success as a coach, but was canned nonetheless. And when they replace him with Alvin Gentry, or some other retread, you'll understand why this whole process of firing a coach is a joke.

Obstructed_View
05-22-2013, 12:53 PM
Only one of those guys was on Pop's coaching staff.