PDA

View Full Version : Wizards reportedly working deal with Lakers, Kwame for Butler

Kori Ellis
07-12-2005, 01:25 AM
Wizards reportedly working deal with Lakers for Butler

By DAVID ALDRIDGE

Philadelphia Inquirer

LAS VEGAS - The Washington Wizards, stung by the loss of free agent Larry Hughes to the Cavaliers, may be able to stanch the sting.

Sources involved with the discussions say that the Wizards are talking to the Los Angeles Lakers about a sign-and-trade deal in which forward Kwame Brown, the top pick in the 2001 NBA draft, would go to the Lakers in exchange for swingman Caron Butler.

The Wizards have other options on the table that could bring them a much-needed big man in return for Brown, but Butler would make a lot of sense.

Butler has been available during most of his yearlong stay in Los Angeles. If the Lakers move him and, as expected, release forward Brian Grant in order to save money under the luxury tax, they would have precious little to show for their blockbuster trade of Shaquille O'Neal to Miami.

At home in Portland? Nate McMillan looks odd in a Portland Trail Blazers polo shirt.

But here he is, at the Las Vegas Summer League, looking at his backcourt of the future - Sebastian Telfair and first-round pick Martell Webster. That may be about all McMillan has to look forward to in the immediate future because the Blazers are officially rebuilding. Well, that and the $25 million that owner Paul Allen will be sending McMillan's way.

Seeing McMillan with the Blazers and not with the Seattle Sonics - the team he played with and coached for 19 years - is odd. But it also feels right.

"I was just feeling that maybe it's time to go, maybe it's time to change, go a different direction," he said. "At the beginning of (last) season, I had prepared myself. Everybody was saying I was on the hot seat. I heard `dead man walking' and all of that stuff that was said. So I kind of prepared myself for the possibility that if I had to move, it wouldn't be a surprise to me."

But the Sonics surprised just about everyone by winning the Northwest Division and making the second round of the playoffs. And when Ray Allen agreed to an $80 million contract at the start of free agency, many assumed that McMillan would stay. But he turned down what he deemed a fair offer to move about a half-hour (by plane) south. Of course, it's a world removed in terms of atmosphere. The Blazers have put the "t" in turmoil.

Part of the reason for his move is that McMillan wasn't certain about the Sonics' future. Even after agreeing to terms with Allen, Seattle has eight free agents.

But the bigger reason for the move may have been the Sonics' unwillingness to give McMillan a permanent position in the organization after he was done coaching.

"The money was fair for a coach coming in," McMillan said. "But for someone that's been there 19 years - I couldn't risk it. If I'm here 23 years and I walk away or I get let go, you forget about me like (Gary) Payton. Or you forget about me like Shaquille (O'Neal)."

Sense
07-12-2005, 01:27 AM
Personally I think this would be a terrible move for the Lakers if it happens...

More talent gone...less comin in.

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2005, 01:28 AM
Kobe Bryant deserves to spend the rest of his career with Kwame Brown as the Lakers' starting center.

Kori Ellis
07-12-2005, 01:29 AM
The Wizards have other options on the table that could bring them a much-needed big man in return for Brown ...

Interesting.

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2005, 01:33 AM
Oddly enough, a straight up trade of Rasho for KBrown would work. Spurs would get rid of Rasho's deal and they would get someone with an expiring contract.

:oops

timvp
07-12-2005, 01:38 AM
Bynum and now Kwame Brown? Sounds like the Lakers want to be competitive in 2012.

Mavs<Spurs
07-12-2005, 01:41 AM
Oddly enough, a straight up trade of Rasho for KBrown would work. Spurs would get rid of Rasho's deal and they would get someone with an expiring contract.

:oops

Course, only problem is Kwame's attitude (e.g. saying he's ill and being caught going out to eat at a Chinese Restaurant
Don't know if Buford, Pop or the players would put up with anyone like that no matter how good they are and this guy for all his supposed talent does not seem to have produced a whole lot. Yet, for some reason, I think I'm hearing that a lot of teams are after him, making his asking price high.

:fro

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2005, 01:43 AM
The Spurs have taken on non-Spur type players before if it served their purposes. Tell Holt Cat he can get rid of another $25 mil in long term salary commitment to a player who was out of the playoff rotation and I'm sure he'd be down with it.

MannyIsGod
07-12-2005, 01:56 AM
WTF exactly are the Lakers thinking?

Timoha
07-12-2005, 02:06 AM
If Kwame Brown has a lot of potential (which I think he has) I'm afraid that this may be a good move for the Lakers. Butler isn't exactly a gem, you know.

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2005, 02:08 AM
WTF exactly are the Lakers thinking?

That their draft pick will be a NBA center in about a decade.

Sense
07-12-2005, 02:34 AM
bulter is going to be overweight any season now

Butler... btw not bulter..

Is and will become a sidekick to someone worth it... this kid helped Kobe whenever Kobe decided to give the ballhogging away, even for 4 or 5 games+injury.

I think that anywhere Butler goes, he will contribute more than Kwame, this kid is realizing that he has potential, and he started to show it last year...he just needs to play for something worth it, if he stays Phil Jackson is gonna make him improve his game alot.

Spurologist
07-12-2005, 06:48 AM
If this trade turns out to be a bust (Kwame improving and getting lakers into the playoffs and wizards sinking.), I will give up all hope on the 2nd round t-shirt wearing wizards. They gave away chris and the kings almost won a championship if it wasn't for horry. They gave away big ben and the dude is wearing an nba championship ring. I am not trying to be nostradamus but facts don't lie. Don't screw it up wizardz.

Mr. Body
07-12-2005, 07:50 AM
Awful trade. They have myriad small forwards but give up the one that's any good. Kwame Brown is a stiff. Poor widdle Lakers.

batman2883
07-12-2005, 07:59 AM
Hey hey hey, let Kwame go to the Lakers, that just means another losing season for them, no playoffs, and furthermore, more of the Spurs waxing their asses.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-12-2005, 08:05 AM
That's awesome. Kobe's Kids, err the Lakers, are becoming one glorious trainwreck.

Someone pass the popcorn.

Supergirl
07-12-2005, 08:58 AM
This might be the stupidest the Lakers have done this side of trading Shaq. Trade a decent, unselfish player like Caron Butler for the most underachieving high school-to-pro player in the history of basketball? And you put him on a team with Kobe, who already has shown himself to be not mature enough to be worth all his talent?

This rumor, combined with the Lakers decision to draft a project this year, rather than a legitimate talent, makes me think they're getting ready to give up on Kobe and give Phil Jackson a chance to trully build a team from scratch, if he can.

ambchang
07-12-2005, 09:04 AM
I actually think Kwame is quite a talent. There was a reason he was the #1 pick back then. Maybe he was a bust, but he has also shown glimpse of his talent a couple of years ago, posting big numbers on KG and another big time forward (forgot who) in back to back nights.
He needs a good coach and a veteran who will take him under their wings, show him how to be a professional, how to practice, how to approach the game.
However, I am not sold on Jackson developing young talent, never had a history of doing so.

ducks
07-12-2005, 09:22 AM
I also think under pop and duncan brown could be good
rember not to many good bigs
he may never live up to the number one pick but this kid is not old and when mj played he did not as much

strangeweather
07-12-2005, 11:01 AM
Bynum and now Kwame Brown? Sounds like the Lakers want to be competitive in 2012.

Well, after the Shaq deal, maybe the next step is to trade Kobe for Jamal Crawford and spare parts.

Guru of Nothing
07-12-2005, 11:11 AM
Interesting the link Michael Jordan has to to both Phil Jackson and Kwame Brown.

Medvedenko
07-12-2005, 11:26 AM
If this goes down it will add balance to the Lakers....they have too many SF's...I like butler and I believe he's more talented than Kwame right now. It would suck to see him leave, but the lakers don't have any strong 4's. They could start Mihm at the C with KB and Lamar at the forward spots. I have heard that Daniels will be visiting the Lakers next week so there's your 1 with Kobe playing SG. It's a stretch, but the Lakers were severly unbalanced last year with Lamar playing the 4. We rebounded the ball pretty well, but we had no mass or toughness. If the Kwame can reach 1/3 of his hype he will be good for 11 and 9 next year. We'll see. Honestly, I would rather see how Caron does in the triangle.

TMSKILZ
07-12-2005, 11:38 AM
Medvedenko sucks!

strangeweather
07-12-2005, 11:51 AM
If this goes down it will add balance to the Lakers....they have too many SF's...I like butler and I believe he's more talented than Kwame right now. It would suck to see him leave, but the lakers don't have any strong 4's. They could start Mihm at the C with KB and Lamar at the forward spots. I have heard that Daniels will be visiting the Lakers next week so there's your 1 with Kobe playing SG. It's a stretch, but the Lakers were severly unbalanced last year with Lamar playing the 4. We rebounded the ball pretty well, but we had no mass or toughness. If the Kwame can reach 1/3 of his hype he will be good for 11 and 9 next year. We'll see. Honestly, I would rather see how Caron does in the triangle.

I agree that the Lakers need more balance, but a headcase project is a pretty dicey way to go after it.

Without a doubt, Brown has a ton of potential, but the Lakers are a terrible landing spot for him. A super-high-profile team with a star that turns 28 next month and has already won 3 titles doesn't seem like the ideal place to let him come along slowly without a ton of pressure. I mean, geez, the guy isn't even there yet, and you're already pencilling him in for 11 and 9, up from a whopping 7 and 5 last year.

Medvedenko
07-12-2005, 12:02 PM
Well, If Phil can't do it, no one else can. It could be a stretch though. All I hope is that the Lakers shed some of the SF's and get more balanced. This will be the first true year with Kobe being the main option. Last year was an experiment with different systems and players. This year will be more balanced.

strangeweather
07-12-2005, 12:13 PM
Well, If Phil can't do it, no one else can. It could be a stretch though. All I hope is that the Lakers shed some of the SF's and get more balanced. This will be the first true year with Kobe being the main option. Last year was an experiment with different systems and players. This year will be more balanced.

Phil is a terrific coach, but it's not like he has a big rep for developing kids.

Even without Brown, I think the Lakers will be better simply because Phil has a plan for them to follow. But they'd be better served finding veterans, even if they didn't have the same potential.

50 & 21
07-12-2005, 12:32 PM
I think it's pretty safe to say that Fill Jackson knew way ahead of time that the Lakers were going to be bad last year, but at the same time knew he was going to return to coaching this year. That Zen Master is one sly guy! :smokin I think the Lakers should have had Kobe take most of the season off with his court case. They might have a Williams instead of a 5-6 years removed-from- contributing Bynum. It's really hard to say what the plan is for them, even though I'm in Lakerland, the Lakers are a very sore subject at the moment.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-12-2005, 12:36 PM
If this goes down it will add balance to the Lakers

Huh? Butler was arguably LA's second most consistent player after Kobe, and y'all are trading him for a headcase frontcourt player.

You've already got one headcase in Kobe, adding a second one isn't a good idea.

caspian
07-12-2005, 12:37 PM
However, I am not sold on Jackson developing young talent, never had a history of doing so.

Um...Kobe?...MJ?...

Medvedenko
07-12-2005, 12:41 PM
Exactly...Phil has a plan...it's just getting Mitch Cupcake to adhere to his philosophy.
I'm excited for next season.

pache100
07-12-2005, 12:48 PM
Um...Kobe?...MJ?...

No, he didn't develop any talent there. The talent was already there. Phil just sat back and watched. You can't operate on talent forever; at some point, you have to start working at it. MJ did it on his own. Kobe has not started yet. We'll see. Phil doesn't coach. He manages people (when the mood strikes him...not so much the last year he was in LA). There is a big difference.

SWC Bonfire
07-12-2005, 12:53 PM

Who was it who had the sig "let Phil Jackson try that zen crap on the Clippers"? Change that to the Lakers now. :lol

Kwame needs somebody like Larry Brown or Pop, not Phil Jackson. He needs somebody to get all up in his business.

Joesteds
07-12-2005, 01:02 PM
Kwame needs somebody like Larry Brown or Pop, not Phil Jackson. He needs somebody to get all up in his business.

Popovich would probably be good for him but I dont think Larry Brown would be. He doesnt like playing young talent and thats been proven through the years. We see how Darko just love larry brown

genghisrex
07-12-2005, 01:04 PM
Kwame needs somebody like Larry Brown or Pop, not Phil Jackson.http://www.nba.com/media/playerfile/darko_milicic.jpg

That sounds like an excellent idea...

50 & 21
07-12-2005, 01:05 PM
Here's some pertinent information on the matter:

Kwame Brown |*5
Position:* F-C
Born: Mar 10, 1982
Height: 6-11*/* 2,11
Weight: 243 *lbs. /*110,2 *kg.
High School : Glynn Academy HS (GA)
Career Highlights
* The first high school player ever selected with the first overall pick in the NBA Draft
* Scored a career-high 14 points vs. L.A. Lakers on 4/2/02
CAREER AVERAGES
YEAR TEAM G GS MPG FG% 3P% FT% OFF DEF RPG APG SPG BPG TO PF PPG
01-02 WAS 57 3 14.3 .387 .000 .707 1.1 2.4 3.5 .8 .28 .46 .75 1.8 4.5
02-03 WAS 80 20 22.2 .446 .000 .668 1.6 3.7 5.3 .7 .63 1.0 1.4 2.0 7.4
03-04 WAS 74 57 30.3 .489 .500 .683 2.4 5.0 7.4 1.5 .9 .70 1.9 1.9 10.9
04-05 WAS 42 14 21.6 .460 .000 .574 1.7 3.2 4.9 .9 .60 .36 1.6 2.7 7.0

Caron Butler |*1
Position:* F
Born: Mar 13, 1980
Height: 6-7*/* 2,01
Weight: 217 *lbs. /*98,4 *kg.
College : Connecticut
Ranks #17 in the NBA in Free-Throw Percentage(0.862) *Ranks #16 in the NBA in Steals Per Turnover(0.88)
CAREER AVERAGES
YEAR TEAM G GS MPG FG% 3P% FT% OR DR RPG APG SPG BPG TO PF PPG
02-03 MIA *78 78 36.6 .416 .318 .824 1.7 3.4 5.1 2.7 1.8 .40 2.5 2.9 15.4
03-04 MIA 68 56 29.9 .380 .238 .756 1.4 3.4 4.8 1.9 1.1 .19 1.3 2.4 9.2*
04-05 LAL 77 77 35.7 .445 .304 .862 1.9 3.9 5.8 1.9 1.4 .30 1.6 2.8 15.5

caspian
07-12-2005, 01:48 PM
No, he didn't develop any talent there. The talent was already there. Phil just sat back and watched. You can't operate on talent forever; at some point, you have to start working at it. MJ did it on his own. Kobe has not started yet. We'll see. Phil doesn't coach. He manages people (when the mood strikes him...not so much the last year he was in LA). There is a big difference.

What? You're saying that he couldn't have developed any talent there because it was already there...?

...and so Phil can't possibly develop Kwame because his talent is already there...?

...and "Kobe has not started yet"?...are you kidding?

ambchang
07-12-2005, 01:54 PM
Um...Kobe?...MJ?...
Jordan was already an established star in the league before Jackson arrived. 37.1 ppg, 35 the season after.
Jackson took his star and led them to championships.
Bryant was a 20 ppg scorer before Jackson came.

ambchang
07-12-2005, 01:56 PM
What? You're saying that he couldn't have developed any talent there because it was already there...?

...and so Phil can't possibly develop Kwame because his talent is already there...?

I believe the argument is that Jackson never had a history of developing talent. To be fair, he never had much young talent to work with, other than perhaps Kukoc, who never lived up to his hype.
So far, Jackson has never proved to be a coach who can develop young talent, but that is not to say that he can't do it, just that he hasn't shown any evidence of doing so.

caspian
07-12-2005, 01:57 PM
Jordan was already an established star in the league before Jackson arrived. 37.1 ppg, 35 the season after.
Jackson took his star and led them to championships.
Bryant was a 20 ppg scorer before Jackson came.

Didn't Phil play Kobe sparingly and didn't even start him at first?

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-12-2005, 02:03 PM
This deal might just be the final straw that breaks Mitch's back.

ambchang
07-12-2005, 02:05 PM
Didn't Phil play Kobe sparingly and didn't even start him at first?

Kobe averaged 22.5 ppg in the first season under Jackson.

nkdlunch
07-12-2005, 02:07 PM
I really hope this trade goes down! Kwame is a scrub who couldnt even put up decent numbers w/the big 3 in his team Hughes, Arenas and Jamison. He will fit in well with the LA Lotteries :lol

caspian
07-12-2005, 02:10 PM
Kobe averaged 22.5 ppg in the first season under Jackson.

Man, my memory is failing me.

Did he start that year?

pache100
07-12-2005, 02:13 PM

I didn't say "he couldn't", I said "he didn't". Quit putting words in my mouth. He didn't need to "develop talent" in those cases, the talent was already there, fullblown. MJ worked. Kobe hasn't started WORKING yet, he's still running on sheer talent. You can't do that forever. I didn't make any assessment about "Phil can't possibly develop Kwame because his talent is already there", so again, quit putting words in my mouth.

pache100
07-12-2005, 02:15 PM
I really hope this trade goes down! Kwame is a scrub who couldnt even put up decent numbers w/the big 3 in his team Hughes, Arenas and Jamison. He will fit in well with the LA Lotteries :lol

I can go along with that!

:lol :lol

caspian
07-12-2005, 02:45 PM
I didn't say "he couldn't", I said "he didn't". Quit putting words in my mouth. He didn't need to "develop talent" in those cases, the talent was already there, fullblown. MJ worked. Kobe hasn't started WORKING yet, he's still running on sheer talent. You can't do that forever. I didn't make any assessment about "Phil can't possibly develop Kwame because his talent is already there", so again, quit putting words in my mouth.

If you noticed, those were all questions...

You can't question words into people's mouths...

SWC Bonfire
07-12-2005, 02:47 PM
Popovich would probably be good for him but I dont think Larry Brown would be. He doesnt like playing young talent and thats been proven through the years. We see how Darko just love larry brown

Well, good point, but you know what I meant.

Think LB riding herd on David Robinson his rookie year.

ducks
07-12-2005, 02:48 PM
phil jackson handled rodman
I thought he did not do a good job on kobe and shaq though
but he can handle a headcase

pache100
07-12-2005, 02:50 PM
If you noticed, those are all questions...

You can't question words into people's mouths...

You took my words and twisted them around and made it sound like I was saying something I did not say, whether it was in the form of a question or not. I don't do that to you or anyone else, and I don't appreciate it being done to me. I generally mean what I say. No need to embellish my words or try to turn them into something else. If I'm not clear, ask me what I meant, plain and simple. If I notice I've not been clear, I'll clarify. But stop with the twisting.

caspian
07-12-2005, 02:54 PM
You took my words and twisted them around and made it sound like I was saying something I did not say, whether it was in the form of a question or not. I don't do that to you or anyone else, and I don't appreciate it being done to me. I generally mean what I say. No need to embellish my words or try to turn them into something else. If I'm not clear, ask me what I meant, plain and simple. If I notice I've not been clear, I'll clarify. But stop with the twisting.

It's a QUESTION. You answer "yes" or "no" to confirm or disconfirm that I understand your position.

If I did not understand it, that's not twisting. I'm trying to interpret you...your words weren't terribly clear. Ambchang expressed your argument well.

ducks
07-12-2005, 03:11 PM
heard espn said this was a done deal

ChumpDumper
07-12-2005, 04:19 PM
Does anyone think Kwame will work in the triangle?

ducks
07-12-2005, 07:29 PM
I think brown is underrated here

caspian
07-12-2005, 08:43 PM
I think brown is underrated here

So do I. I'd also be kind of annoyed if the Lakers got him.

xcoriate
07-12-2005, 08:48 PM
Stupid move for Lakers...

Jordon couldn't motivate him as if Kobe can.

rascal
07-13-2005, 11:20 AM
How about Rasho for Butler? Does it work tradewise? Haven't checked it out yet on realgm but if it doesn't throw in something to make it work.

Spurs can use another quality sf.

ChumpDumper
07-13-2005, 11:25 AM
We'd have to take some ballast back.

boutons
07-13-2005, 11:26 AM
"How about Rasho for Butler?"

trade away a Big for a Small, and in our own Conference?

waly.mg
07-13-2005, 11:39 AM
Butler with Kobe in the Team is unnecessary

Medvedenko
07-13-2005, 02:14 PM
http://www.realgm.com/src_goaltending/54/20050712/the_book_on_kwame_brown/

From about January on during the 03-04 season, Kwame averaged something like 15 and 8. He had Arenas and Hughes on and off returning from injury and some of the other guys were doing some scoring (and a lot of shooting and missing). He played 74 games that season. In the 25 games where he got ten or more shots in a game, his averages were:

16.72 ppg, 9.16 rpg, on 53% shooting from the floor.

Think about that; averaging ten shots a game, he’s posting about 17 ppg and nearly 10 rpg while shooting more efficiently than Tim Duncan usually does. This is before he really developed a jumper as well and before the refs started to give him a little respect on his spin move and while banging with his back to the basket.

In the six games he got twelve or more shots, he averaged:

20.2 ppg, 11 rpg, on 52.8% shooting. No real drop in efficiency and he became a 20/11 player. Now obviously six games is a rather limited sample but from the way he was playing, it was clear that he had the potential to be a perennial All-Star if put in the right situation.

For one thing, he has post game; he’s got a couple of hooks, a drop step and a spin move, as well as the power to just push many of his defenders out of the way. Beyond that, he can face up from all over the floor, put the ball on the hardwood and blow by his opponents. As a center, in the style of what Phoenix did with Amare Stoudemire, Kwame would dominate if he was allowed to mix up his back-to-the-basket game with face-up isolations from the wing. With the jumper he’s been developing the last year or two, he suddenly becomes an even more versatile offensive threat, especially since he can be integrated more readily into a pick-and-roll offense. All that’s only as a scorer. You have to recall that Kwame is also a brilliant post passer. He’d flourish in Sacramento in the 1-4 high sets that Rick Adelman runs.

Quote:
So now onto the basketball side of things. Kwame shows up and he’s instantly a candidate for second or third option. Lamar Odom isn’t a shooter and he isn’t a dedicated post scorer, so he could easily gravitate to the third option under Jackson. It’s also likely that he’ll spend more time handling the ball though and if that is the case you can expect him to be content with fewer shots. Kwame is a true low post threat but, like Tim Duncan and similar to Amare Stoudemire, he’s got quite a face-up game as well, as I mentioned. His versatility on offense could help the Lakers quite a bit if they use him enough. He draws fouls pretty well, was drawing double-teams when he posted 11 and 7 in his third year and he’ll be hitting cutters and open shooters with passes all night long.

It looks like it could be a really good situation for Kwame, as long as he can hold up his end of the deal with some speed. If he can post 15 and 8 for the Lakers in his first year, which is quite possible, then he’ll probably take off from there and be just fine. If he can’t, then he’s going to prove all the people who are calling him a bust right and won’t ever be anything except a marginally more talented version of DeSagana Diop, a second- or third-string player.

timvp
07-14-2005, 02:30 AM
Lakers Agree to Get Brown
Team will give up Butler and either Atkins or George to acquire the former overall No. 1 pick from the Wizards.
http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-brown14jul14,1,1952608.story?coll=la-headlines-sports-nba-lakers
By Mike Bresnahan, Times Staff Writer

The Lakers have taken another bold step to remake their roster, agreeing in principle on a trade that would bring forward-center Kwame Brown from the Washington Wizards and would send Caron Butler and likely Chucky Atkins to Washington.

Brown, 6 feet 11, was drafted No. 1 overall in 2001 and fell on hard times last season with the Wizards, but he has the potential to be an impact post player.

Laker General Manager Mitch Kupchak and Wizard President Ernie Grunfeld declined to comment Wednesday, but sources said the components of the deal were in place involving Brown and Butler. The Wizards could choose small forward Devean George instead of Atkins to complete the deal.

NBA teams cannot announce free-agent signings or sign-and-trade transactions until a league moratorium is lifted July 22.

Brown, 23, received two guaranteed years with a third-year option held by the team. The Lakers will not be parting with the 2006 first-round pick they received from the Miami Heat in the Shaquille O'Neal trade last July.

In 2001, Brown became the first high school player taken with the top pick in the draft, but he has been erratic and enigmatic throughout his first four seasons.

Last season, he was suspended before Game 5 of the Wizards' first-round series against the Chicago Bulls and missed seven playoff games because he had groused as his playing time decreased, claiming a stomach illness and missing a practice.

Brown was also suspended for a game last December because he reportedly walked away from the huddle during a timeout as Wizard Coach Eddie Jordan questioned his failure on a defensive assignment.

In his first two seasons, Brown clashed with aging guard Michael Jordan and former Wizard coach Doug Collins.

Brown showed traces of improvement in his third season, averaging a career-best 10.9 points and 7.4 rebounds, but he broke his right foot during a pickup game last summer and started the 2004-05 season on the injured list.

Brown was out of shape most of last season, playing only 42 games and averaging seven points and 4.9 rebounds. He was booed at home numerous times.

Off the court, Brown has been troubled, getting arrested in 2002 for driving 120 mph and again in 2003 for driving under the influence.

The Wizards are interested in Butler in the wake of losing unrestricted free-agent guard Larry Hughes to the Cleveland Cavaliers. Butler, who played small forward and shooting guard last season, was one of the Lakers' most consistent players down the stretch, averaging 21.9 points over his last 15 games.

Butler, 25, was one of three players acquired from Miami in the O'Neal trade. If the Lakers waive Brian Grant to save $30 million in luxury taxes as part of a one-time amnesty provision under the new collective bargaining agreement, Lamar Odom would be the only Laker left from the O'Neal trade.

Atkins, 30, averaged a career-best 13.6 points last season for the Lakers but his lack of size made him a poor fit for a triangle offense that has historically worked better with taller guards under Phil Jackson.

With the addition of Brown, the Lakers would have under contract Kobe Bryant, Odom, Chris Mihm, Jumaine Jones, Brian Cook, Slava Medvedenko, Sasha Vujacic, Luke Walton, Andrew Bynum and Ronny Turiaf. Atkins or George would also be under contract.

Looks like the trade is going to happen.

ambchang
07-14-2005, 06:36 AM
Man, my memory is failing me.

Did he start that year?

Pretty much, he started 62 of the 68 games he played that year, and he averaged 38.5 mpg.

ambchang
07-14-2005, 06:41 AM
Stupid move for Lakers...

Jordon couldn't motivate him as if Kobe can.

Jordan has never been known to be a good teammate, he is cocky and annoys the crap out of people. Not a lot of people get along with him (Magic is more or less the direct opposite). Billcartright straight out hated him, and most of the young kids did not like Jordan, but what were they supposed to do? The media was all over His Airness because of his basketball prowess.
As for Kobe, I don't know what he can do, but Butler and Odom both played way better without him than with him.

2Cleva
07-14-2005, 07:01 AM
Hey guys. Congrats on the new ring.

Great deal for LA. Butler is a guy who only played well when Kobe or Odom was out. He's only the 3rd best wing player behind those 2. Ideally he's a 6th man. Brown could be the franchise 4 if he gets it. Trading small for big is a good deal. Plus, Butler wouldn't have been kept in LA once he hit FA anyway.

I believe a change of scenery will do wonders for Kwame. I've been telling people that all season, regardless of where he ends up. He's good for at least the 10 and 7 he had a couple of years ago and could turn into much, much more.

Oh yeah, Daniels likely starts at the point. I've always like AD, even when he was in SA. But don't think for a second that LA is done. I know of a move they are close to making for some more size and defense but I'll see if it goes down this weekend. The Brown deal was the first dominoe.