PDA

View Full Version : NBA: After further reconsideration...

King Nupe
05-22-2013, 01:37 PM
Wilt is the greatest player of all time. I'm not talking about with Team awards which is the ONLY way you can put MJ over him...But his dominance....50-25??!!! Thats insane.....MJ scored 50pts 34 times in his career. Wilt did it 45 times in one season...thats insane...

King Nupe
05-22-2013, 01:41 PM
For his career he's 30/22/4....Thats ridiculous

dbestpro
05-22-2013, 02:08 PM
Wilt is the greatest player of all time. I'm not talking about with Team awards which is the ONLY way you can put MJ over him...But his dominance....50-25??!!! Thats insane.....MJ scored 50pts 34 times in his career. Wilt did it 45 times in one season...thats insane...

Agreed. There is a story of Wilt jumping from a standstill from the foul line and dunking the ball. Think of a giant Lebron.

mercos
05-22-2013, 02:41 PM
Wilt obviously has the most dominant stats of all time. However, if you put him in today's game his numbers would be significantly down. That said, he was a freak athlete and I think he could easily be the best player in the league right now. I think its ridiculous that people say Shaq is the most dominant ever in a universe where Wilt existed.

AaronY
05-22-2013, 05:11 PM
Agreed. There is a story of Wilt jumping from a standstill from the foul line and dunking the ball. Think of a giant Lebron.
Yeah, there's a story about how Paul Bunyan created the Grand Canyon too..probably written by the same guy that wrote that Wilt story..

SupremeGuy
05-22-2013, 05:14 PM
Yeah, there's a story about how Paul Bunyan created the Grand Canyon too..probably written by the same guy that wrote that Wilt story..:lmao

FkLA
05-22-2013, 05:14 PM
There is a story of Wilt jumping from a standstill from the foul line and dunking the ball. Think of a giant Lebron.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/mj-laughing.gif

King Nupe
05-22-2013, 06:14 PM
Even if none of that stuff is true, Averaging 50- 20 against centers like Russell, Kareem, Bellamy, Willis Reed is ridicoulous. He would EASILY dominate the league today. What would Dwight, Marc Gasol, Lopez, Noah, Porkins do against Wilt?? LOL :rollin

Rogue
05-22-2013, 08:52 PM
wilt was playing in a period when the league was suffering from a drought of talents imho. put him in modern basketball against the likes of shaq, Rob and Hakeem, and i doubt he would've sustained his monster stats. old-school basketball was paint-oriented and a team's top scores were usually their bigs, but the game has undergone drastic changes over the past few decades imho.

and i don't think he would dominate today's league either. a scrappy defensive big would easily front the shit out of wilt in today's league, and i don't think those old-school centers could adapt to the high-tempo games of present day.

DMC
05-22-2013, 09:45 PM
Right, and the 2nd best ever was Cheryl Miller.

HarlemHeat37
05-23-2013, 12:56 AM
Yeah, there's a story about how Paul Bunyan created the Grand Canyon too..probably written by the same guy that wrote that Wilt story..

:lol BANG!..

mudyez
05-23-2013, 01:45 AM
Even if none of that stuff is true, Averaging 50- 20 against centers like Russell, Kareem, Bellamy, Willis Reed is ridicoulous. He would EASILY dominate the league today. What would Dwight, Marc Gasol, Lopez, Noah, Porkins do against Wilt?? LOL :rollin

Just goint the stats route and not mentioning his value to his team:

It's less about the oppsosition but more about pace et al. There is a reason a lot of guys had like 15+ rebounds in that era and Russel had about 23 nearly every year. It's just wrong to compare these stats. Wilt had .506 in the mentioned season. Without looking it up that should be about average among(and vs.) todays bigman.

It's a little like comparing QB stats from the 60s to todays stats (but actually the other way around).
Wilt was great but I don't give a lot about his stats because you have to see the context. Would Jordan average 40 with the handchecking rule etc.?

As for him playing in todays game: Ballhogging Postman don't work well in todays game. (this was sponsored by Zach Randolph)

(Don't get me wrong. Wilt was great. I'm just sick of hearing about the stats bacause they are tainted)

AaronY
05-23-2013, 02:22 AM
Best Wilt story ever is how at the end of that 100 point game his teammates were disgusted with him because he was going 1 on 4 to get his points while his teammates stood there wide open, uncovered watching him jack up shots..it was like that Kobe airball play but for an entire quarter..

mudyez
05-23-2013, 04:05 AM
You forgot that Wilt even lead the leage in Assists one season!

He really handed it to Russel! What a loser Bill was.

Overall I'm a little discusted when reading "greatest player" in combination with "I'm not talking about with Team awards".

Since when is Basketball a individual sport?

It's like saying that a F1 driver won the race, but the other was better because he had the top speed or Italy won WorldWar2 because they have a far superior weather to Russia.

King Nupe
05-23-2013, 08:53 AM
You forgot that Wilt even lead the leage in Assists one season!

He really handed it to Russel! What a loser Bill was.

Overall I'm a little discusted when reading "greatest player" in combination with "I'm not talking about with Team awards".

Since when is Basketball a individual sport?

It's like saying that a F1 driver won the race, but the other was better because he had the top speed or Italy won WorldWar2 because they have a far superior weather to Russia.

Thats different. When MJ played teams with 4+ HOF he lost. When his team had more HOF than the other team, he won. Just like wilt going up against russels 6 HOF teamates

mudyez
05-23-2013, 09:05 AM
Thats just the matter of the beast. You need more than one good player to win it all. And it wasn't like Wilt played without any good teammates.

But is the conclution to just compare stats?

Wouldn't that make Oscar Robertson a top2 player of all time?

It's an obvious trolling act but always nice to bash Wilt.

BTW.: You HAVE to read Bill Simmon's Book of Basketball...He has some nice takes on Wilts stats :)

The Reckoning
05-23-2013, 09:08 AM
germans talking about WWII :lol

King Nupe
05-23-2013, 09:09 AM
Thats just the matter of the beast. You need more than one good player to win it all. And it wasn't like Wilt played without any good teammates.

But is the conclution to just compare stats?

Wouldn't that make Oscar Robertson a top2 player of all time?

It's an obvious trolling act but always nice to bash Wilt.

BTW.: You HAVE to read Bill Simmon's Book of Basketball...He has some nice takes on Wilts stats :)

When did Bill Simmons become the Authority on BB? Who the Fuck is he?

TDMVPDPOY
05-23-2013, 09:20 AM
those 100pt games wilt scored, how many of them did he end up winning?

mudyez
05-23-2013, 10:25 AM
Guess who got voted MVP of the season Wilt averaged 50Pts+25Reb? Bill Russel!
How often was Wilt traded (and would you ever trade the GOAT?)? twice!!!

And maybe, just maybe Bill made his teammades better (-->Stars) while Wilt never gave them the ball (-->Scrubs). So the "Bill had better teammates" is actually an argument for Bill!

As for the pace (since we don't have a time mashine to make him face the likes of Smits/Gasol/Hibbert/Whoever it's the only thing we can do):

At that time there were nearly twice as many posessions a game (about 120ppg with much worse FG% and no 3Pointline...in the 100 game Wilt's team had 169!!!) so its like playing 1,5 or 2 games and adding the stats up. Kobe's 81 (of 122Lakers) points game would have killed the 100 game easily, The Admiral would have broken it before,...Jordan would have gotten to at least 45ppg too (while not playing 48,5minutes a game like wilt did). And while Kobe's points came somewhat within the flow of the game, the 4th quarter of Wilts game was a record chasing farce (historians agree).

Rodman rebounded at a higher rate (rebounds / available rebounds) than Wilt and would have had about 32rpg if he played in that era.

If Wilt played today he would likely be somewhere in the range of 26/15 which would made him the best Center since Shaq but not GOAT!

There is a reason Oscar's tripple double year was in that era and guys like Pettit and Bellamy had about 31/19 seasons. It's just like comparing best of 5 tennis matches to best of 7 matches statwise.

King Nupe
05-23-2013, 10:51 AM
Guess who got voted MVP of the season Wilt averaged 50Pts+25Reb? Bill Russel!
How often was Wilt traded (and would you ever trade the GOAT?)? twice!!!

And maybe, just maybe Bill made his teammades better (-->Stars) while Wilt never gave them the ball (-->Scrubs). So the "Bill had better teammates" is actually an argument for Bill!

As for the pace (since we don't have a time mashine to make him face the likes of Smits/Gasol/Hibbert/Whoever it's the only thing we can do):

At that time there were nearly twice as many posessions a game (about 120ppg with much worse FG% and no 3Pointline...in the 100 game Wilt's team had 169!!!) so its like playing 1,5 or 2 games and adding the stats up. Kobe's 81 (of 122Lakers) points game would have killed the 100 game easily, The Admiral would have broken it before,...Jordan would have gotten to at least 45ppg too (while not playing 48,5minutes a game like wilt did). And while Kobe's points came somewhat within the flow of the game, the 4th quarter of Wilts game was a record chasing farce (historians agree).

Rodman rebounded at a higher rate (rebounds / available rebounds) than Wilt and would have had about 32rpg if he played in that era.

If Wilt played today he would likely be somewhere in the range of 26/15 which would made him the best Center since Shaq but not GOAT!

There is a reason Oscar's tripple double year was in that era and guys like Pettit and Bellamy had about 31/19 seasons. It's just like comparing best of 5 tennis matches to best of 7 matches statwise.

Whats ridiculous is this notion that Human's before the year 2000 were all weak/slow/scrubs. As if the Year 2000 humans evolved. Its not the case. Wilt was 7-1 285. He also ran track in college and was multi sport athlete. He would still DOMINATE today. Maybe he doesn't get 50-25 in a season, but the you have to say that MJ wouldn't be scoring 63 on the Miami Heat defense like he did on the Celtics defense in 84' (Even though he still lost)

Bill Russell was another ALL WORLD Athelete. You act like players back then just got into the league because of height. I would imagine it would be harder to learn a sport when you have NO precedent to learn from. Its like saying Emmitt Smith is better than Jim Brown. Absolutely asinine.

Wilt had post moves that Rival Hakeems. What would Howard, Gasol, Noah etc... do against him? They would've never SEEN anything like Wilt or Russell.

What you fail to acknowledge, is since the PACE of the game is higher, the players then had to have HIGHER MOTORS. Wilt playing 48 Minutes a game in those days is like playing 60 Minutes a game today, for an Entire season. So while Dwight is on the bench for 15 minutes a game, WILT in his Prime is still BEASTING...Running down the court like a point guard. Stop the maddness man...

Clipper Nation
05-23-2013, 11:15 AM
You'd be calling Dad Killer the GOAT like everyone else if he was a Laker, son....

mudyez
05-23-2013, 11:58 AM
lol

Cry Havoc
05-23-2013, 12:56 PM
:lol BANG!..

I'd actually believe the story of Wilt being able to FT line dunk. Dude was an all-state track athlete in high school.

http://www.answersfrommen.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/wilt-1.jpg

Don't care who you are, that's serious hops right there. ~36-40" at least.

dbestpro
05-23-2013, 01:53 PM
Wilt had a vertical leap higher than 45'', Jordan AND Darrell Griffith (48") and Spud Webb (46") are only NBA players to jump higher. In high school he high jumped 6'6'' and broad jumped 22 feet and ran the 440 yards in 49.0 seconds and the 880 yards in 1:58.3.

NBA rule change because of Wilt: When Wilt Chamberlain was in high school, he had a unique way of shooting free-throws. He would stand at the top of the key, throw the ball up toward the basket, take two steps, jump toward the rim and jam the ball through the net. Doing this resulted in basketball rules to state that a player cannot cross the plane of the free-throw line when shooting a free-throw.

Arcadian
05-23-2013, 05:23 PM
I actually agree. Many people have no problem saying Barry Bonds is the greatest baseball player ever despite never winning a championship, but they take issue with Wilt "only" winning two in an NBA that had 4-6 teams, one of them being the Celtics.

Blake
05-23-2013, 05:57 PM
I'd actually believe the story of Wilt being able to FT line dunk. Dude was an all-state track athlete in high school.

http://www.answersfrommen.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/wilt-1.jpg

Don't care who you are, that's serious hops right there. ~36-40" at least.

Why does he look like he's hovering

AaronY
05-23-2013, 08:10 PM
I'd actually believe the story of Wilt being able to FT line dunk.
From a stand still?..

LMAO

Cry Havoc
05-23-2013, 10:05 PM
From a stand still?..

LMAO

No, but definitely while running, which is still incredible for a center.

Aztecfan03
05-23-2013, 10:24 PM
I actually agree. Many people have no problem saying Barry Bonds is the greatest baseball player ever despite never winning a championship, but they take issue with Wilt "only" winning two in an NBA that had 4-6 teams, one of them being the Celtics.

:rollin