PDA

View Full Version : SI.com: Don’t be fooled by the Grizzlies’ near comeback against the Spurs in Game 2

eric365
05-22-2013, 04:18 PM
http://nba.si.com/2013/05/22/dont-be-fooled-by-the-grizzlies-near-comeback-against-the-spurs-in-game-2/

Nice article to confirm with videos what some here are saying.
While the Grizzlies's adjustments helped (more Pondexter and Bayless), the comeback was mainly on Duncan foul trouble and Spurs not hitting open shots

emanueldavidginobili
05-22-2013, 04:23 PM
Yeah I'm going to re watch the 4th quarter later tonight to see if it was more about the Grizz or the Spurs

boutons_deux
05-22-2013, 04:29 PM
Spurs were shooting over 50% in the 3rd, shot under 25% in the 4th.

Spurs did lose 3rd and 4th quarters, 39 - 54, ugh.

T Park
05-22-2013, 04:32 PM

Stopping moving the ball and being exhausted will do that.

Seventyniner
05-22-2013, 04:33 PM

The 3rd quarter was bad on defense (due to all the FTs the Grizzlies shot), but the Spurs only lost 3 points off of a 15-point halftime lead. Obv the 4th was far more worrying.

TampaDude
05-22-2013, 04:36 PM
Three fouls in 29 seconds on Duncan was all it took.

That kind of backfired on the Grizzlies, though. Timmy was on the bench for quite a while in the second half, so he had fresh legs going into OT.

That turned out to be the difference in the end.

Mal
05-22-2013, 04:37 PM
I wonder how Popovich will set minutes for game 3. Ball was moving well, Parker was outstanding, but it costs him and whole team a lot of energy. And obviously Parker`s calf isnt 100%, so he shouldnt be playing so many high intensity minutes. Time for Manu to step up.

Seventyniner
05-22-2013, 04:39 PM
I wish Mahoney hadn't written this tbh. I could definitely see Hollins taking the comeback as "All is Well!" and not adjusting much for game 3, only to see Duncan actually stay on the floor and the Spurs hitting shots they usually hit.

Trainwreck2100
05-22-2013, 04:56 PM
Memphis was in the bonus for 15 out of the last 24 minutes of regulation, that makes comebacks real simple

Man In Black
05-22-2013, 04:58 PM
That last 2 minutes was an abomination.

To me, the breakdown train started when Tim went for a wide-open tip off a TP missed shot. He missed the tip completely but what he should have done was simply corral the rebound and then just run more clock.

While they keep saying 15-2 run, the real damage was done when Randolph, with his clear out elbows, was awarded the And 1 basket which was followed by the not-flagrant FLAGRANT foul that gifted Tony Allen 2 FTs, and then the extra possession, which then got Conley the inside jump shot. That right there was 7 points in less than 30 seconds. The bulk of that probably doesn't happen if the Spurs execute smartly. But seriously, those 7 points were a gift from those refs IMO.

anonoftheinternets
05-22-2013, 05:22 PM
I wish Mahoney hadn't written this tbh. I could definitely see Hollins taking the comeback as "All is Well!" and not adjusting much for game 3, only to see Duncan actually stay on the floor and the Spurs hitting shots they usually hit.

Give an NBA coach some credit, even the worst coach wouldn't be getting their ideas from sports articles... :)

Cry Havoc
05-22-2013, 05:23 PM
What I don't understand is why people think that starting Pondexter and Bayless won't have serious ramifications to the Grizzlies defense. I mean, Allen and Prince are by FAR their best defenders out on the wings, and their 2nd and 3rd best defenders, respectively. Which means that now they are fielding a team consisting of 1 excellent defender (Gasol), one decent/good defender (Conley) two unproven guys who don't appear to play any defense and aren't used to starting rotations or offenses, and ZBo, who has been an absolute traffic cone in this series for Parker.

I think Spurs fans everywhere should be ecstatic. We're only two games into the series, and already Hollins has completely changed his team chemistry, the one that won 55+ games in the regular season. He's trying to play OUR game. So far we've been better on both ends of the ball and destroying his vaunted defense, now he's sacrificing most of his defensive prowess in favor of offense? That's the best news of the Conference Finals yet. Now instead of bursting off the bench with fresh legs, their gunners are going to be starting the game running headlong into our best defensive 5. Parker has been more than fine against Conley, and Green and Kawhi will be draped all over Pondexter and Bayless.

Not to mention the fact that neither of the latter are used to getting burn with starter minutes.

Think about it: We're going into the Grindhouse against the best defensive team in the league and they have already abandoned their hyper-defensive team to score more points. I could NOT think of a better scenario heading into game 3, and I sincerely hope that Pondexter, Conley, and Bayless get it in their heads that they want to turn this game into a track meet against our transition defense and laser passing. If they seriously think it's a good idea, we could be up 25 at half.

TJastal
05-22-2013, 06:03 PM
What I don't understand is why people think that starting Pondexter and Bayless won't have serious ramifications to the Grizzlies defense. I mean, Allen and Prince are by FAR their best defenders out on the wings, and their 2nd and 3rd best defenders, respectively. Which means that now they are fielding a team consisting of 1 excellent defender (Gasol), one decent/good defender (Conley) two unproven guys who don't appear to play any defense and aren't used to starting rotations or offenses, and ZBo, who has been an absolute traffic cone in this series for Parker.

I think Spurs fans everywhere should be ecstatic. We're only two games into the series, and already Hollins has completely changed his team chemistry, the one that won 55+ games in the regular season. He's trying to play OUR game. So far we've been better on both ends of the ball and destroying his vaunted defense, now he's sacrificing most of his defensive prowess in favor of offense? That's the best news of the Conference Finals yet. Now instead of bursting off the bench with fresh legs, their gunners are going to be starting the game running headlong into our best defensive 5. Parker has been more than fine against Conley, and Green and Kawhi will be draped all over Pondexter and Bayless.

Not to mention the fact that neither of the latter are used to getting burn with starter minutes.

Think about it: We're going into the Grindhouse against the best defensive team in the league and they have already abandoned their hyper-defensive team to score more points. I could NOT think of a better scenario heading into game 3, and I sincerely hope that Pondexter, Conley, and Bayless get it in their heads that they want to turn this game into a track meet against our transition defense and laser passing. If they seriously think it's a good idea, we could be up 25 at half.

Great points all around. I also think swapping out their bench for starters will seriously backfire for a host of reasons. Hope to hell Hollins tries this.

rjv
05-22-2013, 06:11 PM
not to mention the sudden surge of calls that went the grizzlies way and the impact the calls had on the tempo of the game. from that point forward the spurs seemed to lose their rhythm. parker was also gassed and leonard seemed to lack any explosion. grizz have to contend with a more rested spurs come saturday evening. they can only hope they get to enjoy a similar free throw disparity that evening as well.

Warlord23
05-22-2013, 06:11 PM
Prince is overrated on D, don't think Pondexter will be a major drop-off. But Allen's D will be missed if he is replaced by Bayless

T Park
05-22-2013, 06:15 PM
Prince wasn't exactly a scoring champion in his prime days, now? yikes....

Pentagruel
05-22-2013, 06:25 PM
I largely agree with the article. Memphis has been annihilated in this series so far. Their defense especially has been disappointing for them, allowing an inexcusable amount of wide open shots. The spurs haven't really had a transcendent offensive performance, they've just flummoxed the Memphis defense. I think the grizzlies are in big trouble.

With that said, Prince has been awful in every aspect of the game and Quincy Pondexter should obsolutely replace him next game. Tony Allen however should (and probably will) retain his starting spot. These changes will give Memphis a lot better offensive spacing and would not really hurt their defense either. Regardless, I think it's ultimately moot because SA is just a much better team and matches up well with Memphis now to boot.

Darius McCrary
05-22-2013, 06:34 PM

I must say, I fully agree with PC Boy here. Mem trying to play offense with us will spell their doom.
However, I can't see Hollins changing stripes. Maybe he starts them, hangs with us first 8 mins or so, then goes straight defense the rest of the game with fresh Prince (not intended) and Allen. Considering how tired Spurs are at the end of every game, his defensive lineup will be fresher, and ready to hold us to a similar 9 fourth quarter points.

Essentially I'm saying i think Lionel starts those two but they end up getting roughly the same number of minutes, just at a different time in the game.

m33p0
05-22-2013, 06:43 PM

that vaunted memphis defense has shown me nothing so far and hollins might be thinking of the same thing. i don't think he has any idea how to slow down the spurs offense. i think everyone noticed how the spurs went away from the drive-and-kick offense of game 1 coz pop knew the grizzlies would have prepared for it.

running against the spurs who likes to push the tempo... that's a good idea.

Kidd K
05-22-2013, 06:49 PM
Yep. Grizz' offense sucked all series so far except when refs put on their capes and called 3 fouls on Duncan in 30 seconds, then another a minute after he got back into the game, forcing him to sit most of the 2nd half.

Duncan has been our key defensive player by FAR all series. The Grizzlies have not figured him/the Spurs out yet except to flop repeatedly (which they have been doing) and hope the refs will bail them out and make Duncan sit.

That kind of backfired on the Grizzlies, though. Timmy was on the bench for quite a while in the second half, so he had fresh legs going into OT.

That turned out to be the difference in the end.

Nah not really. It allowed them to get it to OT. . .getting a chance to win that game was a rousing success for them even though they lost. They were enroute to another blowout otherwise. Don't forget they also called Duncan's 5th foul somethin like 63 seconds after he entered the game in the 4th too, making him sit again.

They barely had to play against Duncan in the 2nd half at all until the final 8 minutes (including OT) where Duncan had to be very careful when defending otherwise he was gone. The only good quarter they had offensively all series was the 3rd when the refs completely took over for them.

Obstructed_View
05-22-2013, 08:19 PM
Spurs score 35 in first quarter in Memphis.

Kidd K
05-22-2013, 08:21 PM
Best stat from the article:

the Spurs’ defense swung by roughly 50 points per 100 possessions when Duncan was on the floor (65.2 points allowed per 100 possessions) compared with when the 37-year-old was off (116.3) in Game 2

TheGoldStandard
05-22-2013, 08:26 PM
Memphis will try anything at this point, Hollins was calling for Memphis to give him everything they had in the 1st half of game 2. They know they're overmatched and they're looking for anything. Memphis simply can't score enough points consistently to be a team to fear.

letmk
05-22-2013, 08:45 PM
Best stat from the article:

This is the reason I disagree with Timvp's grading in another thread. In a couple games against Dubs, you don't feel the difference when Timmy was on/off the court. Last night, the whole vibe of the game changed when Timmy left the court. Against a Grizzlies team centered their offense on two big men, Timmy is the key to everything.

Seventyniner
05-22-2013, 09:00 PM
Everyone likes to talk about how good the Grizzlies' defense is, but the Spurs were barely behind them in the defensive rankings. The Spurs have an elite defense too, and it has shown against the Grizzlies' middling offense.

Also, the Warriors controlled all but 4 minutes of the first two games last round, and see where it got them. I want to see the Spurs go for the damn jugular in game 3.

InRareForm
05-22-2013, 09:09 PM
Aside from the missed shots, there were lots of terrible fouls/and 1's that compounded the situation.

TheGoldStandard
05-22-2013, 09:11 PM
All those foul calls were blatant too, its laughable.

Spurs and Mavs fan
05-22-2013, 09:16 PM
If this series turns into high-scoring shootouts, the Spurs should have the upper hand.

Kidd K
05-22-2013, 11:03 PM
This is the reason I disagree with Timvp's grading in another thread. In a couple games against Dubs, you don't feel the difference when Timmy was on/off the court. Last night, the whole vibe of the game changed when Timmy left the court. Against a Grizzlies team centered their offense on two big men, Timmy is the key to everything.

Yeah I completely agree. Tim Duncan is a massive defensive influence on the Grizzlies. I think maybe he had a little bit of trouble against the Warriors because they rarely went into the paint and took a lot of perimeter jumpers, so he didn't have a huge lot of opportunities to effect the game. But with Memphis, they go near Duncan repeatedly and it's allowing him to make a huge impact.

skulls138
05-22-2013, 11:36 PM
Memphis probably missed more open shots. They had a serious lid on their basket.

tuncaboylu
05-23-2013, 12:01 AM
There are too many true points in that article and Cry Havoc's comment.

But Memphis defense was purified by us in first 1.5 half game. Conley-Allen-Prince and Gasol are all good 1 on 1 defenders but they seem like ducks when we move the ball and drive and kick passes. Memphis basically couldn't stop us with their defenders. Now they're try to do it with their offensive guys.

(There is a point here, Pondexter is not a proven offensive player infact, his 3 years NBA career is not very impressive. The only advantage him over Prince is shooting better behind the arc.)

Now Kawhi and Green will have very important roles in this series. They were knocking down the good-looks and destroyed Memphis primary line-up. Now they're going to play with Pondexter instead of Prince and maybe Bayless instead of Allen. Now Leonard and especially Green should penetrate to the rim. They should prove that they're not one-dimensional spot up shooters and can punish the weak 1 on 1 defense over them. If Leonard and Green attacks to the rim and Pondexter and Bayless can not avoid them, Memphis will have a dilemma.

And forgot to say: I honestly don't believe that the offense of Memphis will boost when Bayless and/or Pondexter comes to line-up. They could score only 1 basket in the first 4.40 of OT by Tony Allen and the assist came from Tony Parker in that position(He was trying to keep the ball inbound). The only effect of it will be decreasing the pressure over Zach and Gasol but they couldn't overplayed their primary defenders Splitter and Duncan till now.

Baseline
05-23-2013, 03:15 AM
Bayless played out of his mind in Game 2. I don't think he can do that again. Bayless essentially sucks, so I think we've seen his best. He's not half the player Jarrett Jack is, but went Jack on us in Game 2.

Baseline
05-23-2013, 03:15 AM
Bayless will play more like Jarrod from Subway in Game 3

Sean Cagney
05-23-2013, 03:22 AM
Bayless played out of his mind in Game 2. I don't think he can do that again. Bayless essentially sucks, so I think we've seen his best. He's not half the player Jarrett Jack is, but went Jack on us in Game 2.

LOL yeah man, he is not half Jack, Jack balled out all playoffs! Round one he was even better believe it or not! Round two he was very good! Jack is just a baller, lets hope he is not hal fo Jack in this series!

pookenstein
05-23-2013, 04:31 AM
I would activate Baynes for the remaining games of this series and put either T-Mac, Mills or even Blair in a suit right next to Nando. If Duncan or Splitter get into foul trouble that would give us an alternative to Bonner.
Probably won't happen, but neither Marc nor Zach would be able to push Baynes around on D like they do with Bonner.

mudyez
05-23-2013, 05:17 AM
As for the adjustment on the wings:

Pondexter might be a good option. And at this point he might be a better defender than Prince too.
Swapping Allen and Bayless is the interesting part as that leaves Memphis bench really weak on the offensive end. There is a reason guys like Manu, Neal and Bonner come from the bench (ok, with the later two it's obvious). You want some punch even when your stars are benched or get tired.
BTW.: Is Bayless even a catch and shoot guy or will he just take the ball out of Conleys hands?

spurspokesman
05-23-2013, 08:04 AM

That turned out to be the difference in the end. Agreed

TampaDude
05-23-2013, 08:23 AM
Yep. Grizz' offense sucked all series so far except when refs put on their capes and called 3 fouls on Duncan in 30 seconds, then another a minute after he got back into the game, forcing him to sit most of the 2nd half.

Duncan has been our key defensive player by FAR all series. The Grizzlies have not figured him/the Spurs out yet except to flop repeatedly (which they have been doing) and hope the refs will bail them out and make Duncan sit.

Nah not really. It allowed them to get it to OT. . .getting a chance to win that game was a rousing success for them even though they lost. They were enroute to another blowout otherwise. Don't forget they also called Duncan's 5th foul somethin like 63 seconds after he entered the game in the 4th too, making him sit again.

They barely had to play against Duncan in the 2nd half at all until the final 8 minutes (including OT) where Duncan had to be very careful when defending otherwise he was gone. The only good quarter they had offensively all series was the 3rd when the refs completely took over for them.

I don't see that we disagree here. The refs clearly were a factor in the second half. We were 5 on 8 for sure. Because Timmy had to sit, he was fresh for OT, and put up 6 huge points. That was all we needed.

The Grizzlies couldn't even beat us when we were at our worst. Spurs in 5. If we win Game 3, we will sweep.

Keepin' it real
05-23-2013, 08:27 AM
Bayless will play more like Jarrod from Subway in Game 3

He went to Jarrod!

http://www.areubeauty.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/cheap-jewelry.jpg

Embedded
05-23-2013, 12:15 PM
In the NBA you are what you are. Memphis is in the WCF because they are a grit and grind defensive team. So starting Pondexter and Bayless seems to me to be an act of desperation, they are trying to be something that they are not, and it might throw their whole rotation out of whack. This is an adjustment, in my opinion, that might cost them game 3 at home, which would be catastrophic for Memphis and Lionel Hollins' job. It will be an adjustment for us, yes, but also for Memphis, and I think it might get into Tony Allen's head (the one that he grabbed in pain when it almost hit the floor). I think at this point they should stick to their original rotation to try to grind this first game out at home before trying such a radical move.

SpurOutofTownFan
05-23-2013, 12:41 PM

Good stuff here. I believe they've realized they need to score 100 pts to win a game and I agree with you.

Embedded
05-23-2013, 01:26 PM
We let them almost come back in Game 2 because Mr. Duncan had to sit with foul trouble, and, let's face it, we were gassed and complacent. Removing Tony Allen from the starting lineup is a startling error in my opinion because when you talk Grit and Grind, he's the poster boy (well, if you forget that little "I've fractured my skull and I can't get up" bit of current internet fame, of course). They are tinkering with their identity instead of trying to make adjustments and execute with what got them there. We may take Saturday's game in Memphis if they make such a drastic move. If Bayless and Pondexter aren't making a barrage of outside shots they might fall into a hole.

Kidd K
05-23-2013, 05:01 PM
I don't see that we disagree here. The refs clearly were a factor in the second half. We were 5 on 8 for sure. Because Timmy had to sit, he was fresh for OT, and put up 6 huge points. That was all we needed.

The Grizzlies couldn't even beat us when we were at our worst. Spurs in 5. If we win Game 3, we will sweep.

Oh yeah dude, I wasn't thinking we disagreed, I was just on a mini-crusade that night blasting the refs for their shitty officiating in a few threads. :P I've agreed with most of your posts I've read the past couple weeks bro.

Spurs in 5 was my pick before the series started. I've been keeping up with what the Grizzlies did this year, and I knew they would severely struggle to keep up with us scoring. Our D is about as good as theirs and our O is WAY better. Grizz will only win one game imo if refs don't take over again. Grizz don't suck so I will give them some respect. But Spurs are just built to beat them. People just didn't realize it. . .and probably won't until after the series.

buttsR4rebounding
05-23-2013, 06:03 PM
Everyone likes to talk about how good the Grizzlies' defense is, but the Spurs were barely behind them in the defensive rankings. The Spurs have an elite defense too, and it has shown against the Grizzlies' middling offense.

Also, the Warriors controlled all but 4 minutes of the first two games last round, and see where it got them. I want to see the Spurs go for the damn jugular in game 3.

Plus the Spurs were involved in a higher number of blowout games when you had "garbage time" defense being played. Judging by the 1st 2 games I would submit that if the Spurs were as offensively challenged as the Grizz and forced to focus more on defense that the Spurs D is superior to the Grizz.