PDA

View Full Version : Amateur: Worst coached playoffs in NBA history?

midnightpulp
05-23-2013, 12:18 AM
Pop (aside from his penchant for playing risky rotations at the most inopportune times), Video Coordinator, and Thibs seem to be the only ones out there with a clue on how to coach the game of basketball.

From D'Antoni not even making an attempt to coach the Lakers in their playoff series; to Del Negro flummoxed by Lionel Hollins; to Scott Brooks refusing to call any other plays besides ISOs for Durant; to Mark Jackson relying more on his Bible than his playbook; and to Frank Vogel pulling his best shotblocker in crunch time, the 2012-13 post-season has had an unprecedented amount of coaching mishaps never before seen in the history of NBA.

Sure, there's been coaching blunders here and there in past post-seasons, but I can't remember a comparable example of this kind of sustained level of failure at the head coaching position throughout an entire playoffs. Seems every game has had one or two or three or four (ad infinitum) massive coaching mistakes that would even have a 15 year old Bleacher Report contributor shaking his head in disbelief.

Jacob1983
05-23-2013, 12:40 AM
What about the best coached playoffs? My 2011 Mavs have to be up there. Jim Carrey having crazy Deshawn Stevenson guarding Lecrab was genius. Stevenson made Lecrab his bitch in that series. You could also say having JJ Barea in the starting lineup in the Finals was a good idea and making Haywood ride the bench for most of the Finals too.

Rogue
05-23-2013, 01:02 AM
Rick Carlisle is also a great coach in the playoffs. he's already at the same level as Pop and he's much younger. just give him trust & time and he'll build a dynasty in dallas tbh

irishock
05-23-2013, 01:17 AM
Rick Carlisle learned his lesson after getting Pop'd in 2010, though.

He went with that shitty Kidd-Barea-Terry tandem that lost them the series. The following year he got it right though. They had Kidd, D-Steve or Marion on at all times for D

Trainwreck2100
05-23-2013, 01:23 AM
giving video coordinator far too much credit, one of those timeouts Lebron was the one handling all the business.

100%duncan
05-23-2013, 01:34 AM
:lol Spoelstra is fucking up there with Vogel too

KaiRMD1
05-23-2013, 01:45 AM
Spoelstra isn't coaching shit, he's standing there while Lebron and company coach, that guy is as happy to be there as Kevin Martin was to be on the Thunder.

spurraider21
05-23-2013, 01:51 AM
you're always prematurely ejaculating with this stuff. "worst coached playoffs all time." you called Currys New York game the best offensive performance of the decade, and Harden the best shooting guard in the league after the reg season OKC win. as the clowns on first take say, you are a prisoner of the moment

jimbo
05-23-2013, 01:53 AM
Spo's been a pretty decent coach pre 2010 and post 2011. It was just that one year where he had no clue what to do with 3 superstars. He's gotten a whole lot better though even if half of it is just let Lebron do everything.

TDMVPDPOY
05-23-2013, 01:59 AM
popabitch has to be on this list

he rarely plays rookies in the playoffs who had a successful RS campaign, only to be ousted of the playoffs cause of DNP, george hill first year and splitter first year is 2 i can think off...

HI-FI
05-23-2013, 02:02 AM
this sort of goes with mid's point but I don't remember so many shitty mic'd up huddles. maybe I'm simply not remembering it well, but the huddles have been shit lately, least coaches like Pop or Carlisle point out important stuff. Brooks, Vogel, especialy Jackson, just sound like cheerleaders.

SanDiegoSpursFan
05-23-2013, 02:05 AM
Spo having Battier guard West was a terrible move as well.

AaronY
05-23-2013, 02:13 AM
this sort of goes with mid's point but I don't remember so many shitty mic'd up huddles. maybe I'm simply not remembering it well, but the huddles have been shit lately, least coaches like Pop or Carlisle point out important stuff. Brooks, Vogel, especialy Jackson, just sound like cheerleaders.
I was amazed by that too, and duspected they must say more and that ClipperNation confirmed that they're not allowed to show any of the strategizing..casual fan wouldn't appreciate the nuances of discussing how to hedge screen and rolls anyway even if they were allowed to show the actual basketball discussions..it's to their loss because it really makes all the coaches look like fucktards..

Rogue
05-23-2013, 10:18 PM
vogel did a decent job in the regular season as well as in the previous rounds though. pacers just lost to the better team and they already did their best. Heat would've trounced the pacers had their coach got any brain cells under his skull tbh. Pop will make a fool of him in the finals and pull the series to 6-7 games, and the result will depend all upon lebron. heat would've already got it on lock if they had an above average coach tbh

Kidd K
05-24-2013, 12:53 AM
Vogel's underrated. He does make terrible decisions at times, but for the most part he's pretty solid. There are some dumb players on that team but he gets them all to march the right direction most of the time.

Yanking Hibbert and giving LeBron a clear path to the basket when there was obviously enough time for him to drive and get a layup though. . .was a god awful decision. Everything about that was stupid as hell. It's like he just gambled that they wouldn't try to drive even though they didn't pack the paint at all. Dude defended that shit like they needed a 3 to tie.

DMC
05-24-2013, 12:54 AM
Pop (aside from his penchant for playing risky rotations at the most inopportune times), Video Coordinator, and Thibs seem to be the only ones out there with a clue on how to coach the game of basketball.

From D'Antoni not even making an attempt to coach the Lakers in their playoff series; to Del Negro flummoxed by Lionel Hollins; to Scott Brooks refusing to call any other plays besides ISOs for Durant; to Mark Jackson relying more on his Bible than his playbook; and to Frank Vogel pulling his best shotblocker in crunch time, the 2012-13 post-season has had an unprecedented amount of coaching mishaps never before seen in the history of NBA.

Sure, there's been coaching blunders here and there in past post-seasons, but I can't remember a comparable example of this kind of sustained level of failure at the head coaching position throughout an entire playoffs. Seems every game has had one or two or three or four (ad infinitum) massive coaching mistakes that would even have a 15 year old Bleacher Report contributor shaking his head in disbelief.

Philibeaner has James, Wade and Bosh, and a host of other leg riders. How can you fuck that up if your name isn't Mike D'Antoni?

DMC
05-24-2013, 12:55 AM
Vogel's underrated. He does make terrible decisions at times, but for the most part he's pretty solid. There are some dumb players on that team but he gets them all to march the right direction most of the time.

Yanking Hibbert and giving LeBron a clear path to the basket when there was obviously enough time for him to drive and get a layup though. . .was a god awful decision. Everything about that was stupid as hell. It's like he just gambled that they wouldn't try to drive even though they didn't pack the paint at all. Dude defended that shit like they needed a 3 to tie.

I told myself "I'd just drive hard as possible to the rim, make them stop me". He did, they didn't.

Mugen
05-24-2013, 01:01 AM
-Pop coached a shitty Game 1 & 2 in the Warriors series
-Spo's biggest coaching achievement so far has been LeBron not getting hurt
-Anybody who expected anything of merit from Pringles, Brooks, Jackson, Del Negro is retarded

Vogel is getting too much flack for the Hibbert move, otherwise he'd be my coach of the playoffs so far along with Thibbs.

George Karl was by the far worst IMO.

midnightpulp
05-24-2013, 01:11 AM
Philibeaner has James, Wade and Bosh, and a host of other leg riders. How can you fuck that up if your name isn't Mike D'Antoni?

I was a huge Spoelstra critic last year, but the reason I included him is because at least he has the sense to stand back and let the talent of his team do the work. His rotations are good, as well. But yeah, other than that, Video Coordinator isn't anything to write home about from an X's and O's standpoint.

Sean Cagney
05-24-2013, 03:28 AM
Rick Carlisle is also a great coach in the playoffs. he's already at the same level as Pop and he's much younger. just give him trust & time and he'll build a dynasty in dallas tbhLOL at him already at the same level as fucking POP! Are you serious? He lost them the 010 series as someone already said! Yes you guys won it in 011, after that last year no and no playoffs this year, Pop never misses the playoffs bro! Dynasty? LMFAO are you serious again! Get real already bruh.

I still can't believe you said he is already at the level of fucking POP, that there is beyond funny, longevity and so on, he is not near POP yet.