PDA

View Full Version : Pacers: Sam Young

blah blah blah
05-23-2013, 10:07 AM
Is a potential GOAT for last night but he hasn't gotten any slack from anybody for some reason. I mean how hard is it to just foul LeBron and send him to the line? After all, he's the most scrutinized player in the NBA so there's a slight chance he could choke with time to think. Instead, he decides to "fake" like he's gonna jump and block while allowing James an uncontested layup.

Thoughts?

DeadlyDynasty
05-23-2013, 10:13 AM
Quick question for those who know the NBA rulebook cover-to-cover: What's to stop a team from committing a flagrant foul in that situation--like LeBron hypothetically getting hammered with 0.03 secs left? He burned George and was going up for the easy layup, so wouldn't it behoove Young to foul the shit out of him? Put him at the line in some pain, with no benefit of extra possession (at least not enough time)

td4mvp2k
05-23-2013, 10:25 AM
young plays 4 da nba not da pacers

HarlemHeat37
05-23-2013, 10:29 AM
He's a horrible player, tbh..he's only playing because Indiana's bench is atrocious..

blah blah blah
05-23-2013, 12:00 PM
Quick question for those who know the NBA rulebook cover-to-cover: What's to stop a team from committing a flagrant foul in that situation--like LeBron hypothetically getting hammered with 0.03 secs left? He burned George and was going up for the easy layup, so wouldn't it behoove Young to foul the shit out of him? Put him at the line in some pain, with no benefit of extra possession (at least not enough time)

Exactly. You have the best player in the game going in for an uncontested layup with time expiring. I think common sense would tell him to keep that shit from happening at all costs and make him earn it at the stripe. He's no Lebron but it's not like Sam Young is a slouch athletically either. I saw some of his highlights at Pitt.

Spur-Addict
05-23-2013, 12:33 PM
Whenever I think of Sam Young, I just remember him pump faking Dick Jefferson to death in that Memphis series.

Dex
05-23-2013, 12:51 PM

Rule-wise, there is nothing to stop a team from doing that. However, if Lebron did get injured on the play (whether he is actually injured, or just plays to it), he could theoretically not return to the game, and the Heat could choose a better free thrower to go to the line. Lebron wouldn't be able to return, but with .3 seconds left, that's not really a big deal, unless the person shooting free throws misses both I guess.

Still, probably better to give a guy like Ray Allen two free throws than give Lebron an uncontested layup. Allen had already choked once at the line in the 4th.

TheCultOfPersonality
05-23-2013, 07:33 PM
He's a horrible player, tbh..he's only playing because Indiana's bench is atrocious..
Agreed. Can't shoot, can't defend, has the basketball IQ of a brick. The guy is a garbage time caliber player at best.

Rogue
05-23-2013, 10:42 PM
guy's weakness is just as obvious as his strength. he's a good scorer that could be a legit 6th man on a top3 western but he's a mediocre defender at the other end of the floor. Defense was the only thing the pacers needed for the 2.2 seconds and there was really no reason to put him there imho.