PDA

View Full Version : Gadzuric re-sign with Bucks (6 years/$36M)

Kori Ellis
07-12-2005, 06:04 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2105690

Preliminary deal is for six years, $36 million
By Marc Stein
ESPN.com

The agent for Milwaukee Bucks center Dan Gadzuric said Monday that Gadzuric intends to resign with the Bucks later this month.

The deal is a six-year pact worth $36 million.

"We are committed to signing with the Bucks when the moratorium [on signing contracts] is lifted," said Bob Myers, Gadzuric's agent with SFX.

Free agents cannot officially sign contracts until July 22, which the league office has scheduled as the first day the NBA's new labor agreement takes effect.

Retaining Gadzuric is the latest move in a Milwaukee spending spree that has resulted in verbal commitments from star swingman Michael Redd and the Los Angeles Clippers' Bobby Simmons, the NBA's reigning Most Improved Player.

Gadzuric averaged 7.3 points, 8.3 rebounds in 22 minutes per game for the Bucks last season.

ALVAREZ6
07-12-2005, 06:08 AM
Overpaid.

xcoriate
07-12-2005, 06:37 AM
Gadzuric averaged 7.3 points, 8.3 rebounds <--- That is very good though.

He'll be a good backup off the bench at the 4/5 but yes overpaid for a backup 6M per year is less than Rasho though

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-12-2005, 08:02 AM
For basically a double double guy that's a pretty good deal for the Bucks.

SpursChampsIII
07-12-2005, 09:01 AM
Some of these signings are unbelievable! I would rather sign T-Mass and Kevin W. to veteran minimum contracts, than sign Gad-Zur-Reech to a contract worth even 3M per year.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-12-2005, 12:31 PM
Spoken like someone who doesn't regularly watch Gadzuric play.

genghisrex
07-12-2005, 12:55 PM
With the way Milwaukee is handing out these large long-term deals to role players, Bogut had better become an elite-level big man.

DDS4
07-12-2005, 01:56 PM
He's my boy from UCLA and all, but damn, that's a lot of coin for a 20 minute player.

alamo50
07-12-2005, 04:42 PM
Awesome!
Thanks for posting the article on the front page Kori!

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2005, 06:17 PM
Suddenly, Rasho's deal doesn't seem that bad.

ReverendRob
07-12-2005, 06:29 PM
Sounds to me like they overpaid but it's the harsh reality of the league that they will always overpay for even a semi-productive big man. What's his story on the limited minutes? Foul trouble? Limited defense? Bench guy? I don't follow the Bucks too much but I thought he was starting at center for them. If Bogut works out, it seems to me like they overpaid, if he doesn't and Gadzuric can manage to get increased productivity out of increased minutes, then he might be worth it.

alamo50
07-13-2005, 09:09 AM
Answering role call

Gadzuric says he'll do what team asks of him

By CHARLES F. GARDNER
[email protected]
Posted: July 12, 2005

Worthington, Ohio - Dan Gadzuric said on Tuesday that he is ready for whatever his role may be with the Milwaukee Bucks this upcoming season after agreeing to a six-year deal worth $36 million to remain with the team.

The 6-foot-11 Gadzuric knows he could be ticketed for a backup role, despite starting all 81 games he played for the Bucks last season.

But he figures the retooled Bucks will be much tougher to handle with a center tandem featuring 7-foot-1 rookie center Andrew Bogut, the top overall pick in the June National Basketball Association draft, and himself.

"I'm real happy," said Gadzuric, who has restricted free agent status. "I have no problems coming back at all."

Gadzuric will not be able to sign with the Bucks until the league moratorium ends, scheduled for July 23.

During the 2003-'04 season, Gadzuric was highly effective coming off the bench, when he played in 75 games and did not get a start. He averaged 5.7 points per game while giving the Bucks a shot of energy and fueling an effective second unit that helped the Bucks reach the Eastern Conference playoffs.

He averaged 7.3 points and 5.1 rebounds as a starter last season, while playing 22 minutes per game.

"I'm looking forward to it," Gadzuric said of playing with Bogut, the 20-year-old Australian. "He will be another strength to our team.

"It all depends on how the coaches want to use us. I don't care if it's the bench or starting, as long as we get 'Ws.' It should be good."

The 27-year-old Gadzuric will be entering his fourth professional season this fall. He was the first rookie since Ray Allen to get an opening-night start with the Bucks, in the 2002-'03 season.

Gadzuric's addition leaves only restricted free agent Zaza Pachulia as the only player the Bucks are still attempting to re-sign. The 21-year-old Pachulia could fill a role as a backup power forward and center.