PDA

View Full Version : NBA: For Those Who Say Coaches Don't Make a Difference

DMC
05-23-2013, 08:05 PM
I give you the Pacers. Would Pop ever do that? Would he ever sit Duncan on two consecutive last second possessions when you MUST get a stop AT THE RIM?

No.

Chew on that

AussieFanKurt
05-23-2013, 08:06 PM
couldn't you raise this in thread about this topic?

DMC
05-23-2013, 08:09 PM
couldn't you raise this in thread about this topic?

No fuck you I go my own way.

AussieFanKurt
05-23-2013, 08:12 PM
:rolleyes

Clipper Nation
05-23-2013, 08:33 PM
I'll just point to Vinny Del Dumbfuck's entire career to prove that point, tbh....

Brunodf
05-23-2013, 08:38 PM
He did it multiple times this season

Rogue
05-23-2013, 11:03 PM
phillibeaner is a similar example. heat would've probably won it in regular time had someone else taken those freebies instead of Ray Allen who shot 1-8 from the field last night

Skyapples
05-24-2013, 09:52 AM
This also shows in the Spurs-Grizz series where Pop is doubling Randolph when he's in the post off poor shooters like Tony Allen and Prince also fronting Randolph causing the Grizz offense to stall and rely on Conley to create for himself, whereas Scott brooks would let Randolph/Gasol do whatever they pleased dominating Ibaka and Perkins.

Mugen
05-24-2013, 11:01 AM
Pop probably does the same thing against that Heat lineup tbh.

With that little time, you'd assume your defense is good enough to force a jumpshot to beat you and that your best defender won't give the best player in the league a clear path to the rim.

Baseline
05-24-2013, 04:08 PM
Pop probably does the same thing against that Heat lineup tbh.

With that little time, you'd assume your defense is good enough to force a jumpshot to beat you and that your best defender won't give the best player in the league a clear path to the rim. I agree that Pop would assume whoever is guarding LeBron would stay in front of him and not give him a lane to the rim. Pop would also assume that the Spurs would not give LeBron such an easy catch off the inbounds pass. Frankly, both of those issues were handled deplorably by the Pacers. But still, you have to have Hibbert in the game to help take away LeBron's "get to the rim" thought process. You definitely want LeBron shooting a jumper in that situation. So I think Pop would have Duncan in the game for that very reason. I'm sure LeBron had to be thinking, "Hibbert's not in the game...so all options are open."

Mugen
05-24-2013, 04:15 PM
I agree that Pop would assume whoever is guarding LeBron would stay in front of him and not give him a lane to the rim. Pop would also assume that the Spurs would not give LeBron such an easy catch off the inbounds pass. Frankly, both of those issues were handled deplorably by the Pacers. But still, you have to have Hibbert in the game to help take away LeBron's "get to the rim" thought process. You definitely want LeBron shooting a jumper in that situation. So I think Pop would have Duncan in the game for that very reason. I'm sure LeBron had to be thinking, "Hibbert's not in the game...so all options are open."

Agree about the inbounds pass. But if George doesn't overplay at such a bad angle, than Lebron's "thought process" and whether Hibbert is in the game are moot points tbh. If George shuts off the driving lane, Bron has no choice but shoot a pull up with that little time left.

Vogel did a lot of things wrong going into that possession but not putting in Hibbert is probably like #3 on the list.

Blake
05-24-2013, 04:57 PM
Coaches absolutely make a difference, but they are vastly overrated as difference makers.

I give you Eric Spoelstra

siraulo23
05-24-2013, 05:07 PM
theres a chance, he pulled duncan a couple of times already this post season for some stretches of crunch time in the 4th

Clipper Nation
05-24-2013, 05:16 PM
Coaches absolutely make a difference, but they are vastly overrated as difference makers.

I give you Eric Spoelstra
Poor example, tbh....

Spoelstra alternates between iso Wade and iso LeBron on every posession = Heat lose to a better-coached and more cohesive team in the Finals

Spoelstra develops an actual offensive system and stresses ball movement and efficient shots = Heat win it all and are on the way to repeating

Blake
05-24-2013, 06:51 PM
Poor example, tbh....

Spoelstra alternates between iso Wade and iso LeBron on every posession = Heat lose to a better-coached and more cohesive team in the Finals

Spoelstra develops an actual offensive system and stresses ball movement and efficient shots = Heat win it all and are on the way to repeating

sorry but you can't convince me there aren't 100 coaches out there that could have also rung last year with that team.