PDA

View Full Version : Pacers: Hibbert calls out Battier

thunderup
05-23-2013, 10:28 PM
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/23/roy-hibbert-believes-shane-battiers-knee-to-his-groin-in-game-1-was-intentional/

Late in the first quarter of the Heat’s overtime Game 1 win over the Pacers, Shane Battier drove into the lane and challenged Roy Hibbert on a layup attempt. Battier’s form was more than a little unorthodox as he went up for the shot, leading with his right knee that caught Hibbert squarely below the belt.

Battier was ruled for the offensive foul on the play, and the referees actually reviewed it to see if there was the possibility that it could be ruled a flagrant – something extremely rare when fouls are made by the offensive player.

The play stood as a common foul, and because it occurred so early in a game with so many dramatic moments that decided it late, it was largely forgotten.

A day later, however, Hibbert took to his Twitter account to remind us of what had happened, and to let us know that he didn’t believe that the contact was in any way accidental.

Roy Hibbert ✔ @Hoya2aPacer
U can knee or kick me every time u drive 2the rim. Ill be there 2protect the rim. That wasn't inadvertent. Battier knew what he was doing

It’s an interesting thing to bring up a day later, considering all that went down in the game after this particular play had happened. Perhaps Hibbert saw it again in a film session, or was reminded of it while meeting the media after practice. But for whatever reason it was still on his mind, and he wanted to make sure everyone knew he didn’t appreciate Battier’s actions.

As for whether or not it was intentional, only Battier can answer that question. It’s doubtful that there was an intent to injure on Battier’s part, but once he saw Hibbert was there and that he’d have zero chance of scoring over him, that’s when he likely decided to lead with the knee in an obvious attempt to make contact to try to draw the foul.

Dirty play? What do yall think?

thunderup
05-23-2013, 10:29 PM
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/2664361/hibbertnuts_medium.gif

Phillip
05-23-2013, 10:31 PM
i dont think he tried to hurt him, but did use it to try to make hibbert think twice, and perhaps attempt to defend battier differently

lefty
05-23-2013, 10:40 PM
Intentional

Why would he move his knee forward like that

BUMP
05-23-2013, 10:51 PM
I used to like Battier but it seems like his douchebaggery has been rising to Derek Fisher levels recently tbh

Snaq O'Meal
05-23-2013, 11:41 PM
Karl Malone used to do this all the time.

Rogue
05-24-2013, 12:10 AM
battier tells a real life story of good boy gone bad. dude was a candidate for fair play award almost every year when he was playing in memphis, and even during the years when he was playing in a shithole named houston he could remain a kind person that he'd always been. but just a few years playing in miami has transformed him into a douchebag like everyone on the miami heat. you always need sort of nasty to be a good defender (like bruce and MWP) but shit ain't happening at the defensive end.

monkeypunk
05-24-2013, 10:29 AM
I've never thought of Battier as dirty until I saw ECF Gm1. He was holding, tugging jerseys, dropping cheap shots like this knee the whole game.

Lost a lot of respect for him after watching that.

TDMVPDPOY
05-24-2013, 10:52 AM
hate playing against clowns who knee on layups...fkn pathetic

Phillip
05-24-2013, 01:00 PM
I've never thought of Battier as dirty until I saw ECF Gm1. He was holding, tugging jerseys, dropping cheap shots like this knee the whole game.

i take it you hated bruce bowen then?

monkeypunk
05-24-2013, 01:29 PM
i take it you hated bruce bowen then?

Bowen didn't drive with his knee that I saw (other than kicking Nash in his junk and who hasn't done that?) but you are right that he did do the little tug here, push there that all savvy defenders do. No matter what non-Spurs fans say, Bowen never set out to hurt anyone.

I just thought that Battier was a cleaner defender before I watched that game. Maybe it's his age and he is having to throw more crap into his defensive game to compensate for declining athleticism, not sure.

But there is no call for driving with the knee or flagrants with the intent of actually hurting someone. That's the faggot way out, tbh.

TheRealCB
05-24-2013, 01:40 PM

Bowen didn't drive with his knee that I saw (other than kicking Nash in his junk and who hasn't done that?) but you are right that he did do the little tug here, push there that all savvy defenders do. No matter what non-Spurs fans say, Bowen never set out to hurt anyone.

I just thought that Battier was a cleaner defender before I watched that game. Maybe it's his age and he is having to throw more crap into his defensive game to compensate for declining athleticism, not sure.

But there is no call for driving with the knee or flagrants with the intent of actually hurting someone. That's the faggot way out, tbh.

:lmao Holly shit talk about hypocrisy :lmao

hater
05-24-2013, 02:05 PM
Battier came out like a Bruce Bowen on steroids. I don't know why or what, never seen him that deranged. Dude came to instill conflict into the game. IMO Pat Ryley had a conversation with him, or maybe even Stern and they told him, go out there, you have the green light to do whatever the fuck you want but hurt those motherfuckers.

I used to like Battier but after game 1, he seems 10x dirtier than Bowen.

hater
05-24-2013, 02:09 PM

:tu :tu

felt exactly the same

the infuriating thing is that the refs were letting him do whatever he wanted out ther

unbeleivable

Phillip
05-24-2013, 02:16 PM
:lmao at the extreme homerism by spurfans

:cry battier does all his stuff with the intent to hurt :cry

:cry bowen never intended to hurt anyone, even though the things he did such as face kicks and sticking his feet underneath jumpshooters are intentional ways of hurting people :cry

hater
05-24-2013, 02:24 PM
Bowen was a bit dirty. But the refs would call a foul for grabs, and kicks tbh

Battier was allowed to pretty much do anything out there. Especially in the 1st quarter. pretty despicable of Stern imo

monkeypunk
05-24-2013, 02:48 PM
:lmao Holly shit talk about hypocrisy :lmao

Not really, if you watch basketball, you know the difference between intent to harm/ cheap shots and savvy tricks to slow a defender down like a jersey tug or an arm hold. All of which Battier was using in Gm1 which was my point.

I guess Mav fans not having any Mav bb in their lives for a few years have caused them to forget how the game works.

Then again, maybe you're just a dumbass Kardasian fan and as such, there's no hope for you anyway, tbh.

monkeypunk
05-24-2013, 02:52 PM
I used to like Battier but after game 1, he seems 10x dirtier than Bowen.

Bowen was a bit dirty. But the refs would call a foul for grabs, and kicks tbh

Battier was allowed to pretty much do anything out there. Especially in the 1st quarter. pretty despicable of Stern imo

All true.

sook
05-24-2013, 03:13 PM
I actually used to like him but he was playing sorry and this wasn't even it , the Hainsborough elbow and shoves were bad enough.

hater
05-24-2013, 03:16 PM
like I said in the game thread. Did one of the Pacers fuck his wife?

TheRealCB
05-24-2013, 03:19 PM
Not really, if you watch basketball, you know the difference between intent to harm/ cheap shots and savvy tricks to slow a defender down like a jersey tug or an arm hold. All of which Battier was using in Gm1 which was my point.

I guess Mav fans not having any Mav bb in their lives for a few years have caused them to forget how the game works.

Then again, maybe you're just a dumbass Kardasian fan and as such, there's no hope for you anyway, tbh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmI4r1XviVI

:cry so much savvy
:cry so much class

hater
05-24-2013, 03:25 PM
:lmao still mad about Bowen rawdogging Dirk :lmao

monkeypunk
05-24-2013, 05:39 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmI4r1XviVI

:cry so much savvy
:cry so much class

Obvious flop by Paul is obvious, tbh. :lol

Not surprised at the Mavfan hate. Dirk still can't sit down without a pillow...

LkrFan
05-24-2013, 05:51 PM
Intentional

Why would he move his knee forward like that
Bruce Lee Bowen approves. ;)

LkrFan
05-24-2013, 05:57 PM

Not surprised at the Mavfan hate. Dirk still can't sit down without a pillow...
:rollin :lmao :rollin

vander
05-24-2013, 06:02 PM
the number one thing that stood out to me as I watched some of that game was how much of a cheap shot flopping cheating punk battier is, like I needed any more reasons to hate the Heat

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-24-2013, 06:07 PM
Doing Karl Malone and Sagat proud with that move.
http://images.wikia.com/streetfighter/images/6/64/Sagat's_Tiger_Knee.gif

hooperflash
05-24-2013, 06:53 PM
Dirty, the reverse angle shows Battier slightly looking down before the shot attempt. He's a Dukie for crying out loud.

TE
05-24-2013, 06:56 PM
That was dirty af. Like Bump said, Battier is becoming easier to dislike tbh

Rogue
05-24-2013, 08:32 PM

i think there's a reason why Bowen was always the nightmare to almost every scorer that had ever faced his D back in the day. dude was an elite in defense and also made his contributions at the offensive end (those cheap corner 3's) but a straight man would probably never slide his foot under the opponent who's taking a jumper, hoping to break his ankle when he lands on his ugly smelly foot instead of the flat floor.