PDA

View Full Version : Nando de say it aint so

jon123spurs
05-24-2013, 12:13 PM
http://www.projectspurs.com/2013-articles/may/de-colo-very-frustrated-with-lack-of-playing-time-in-the-postseason.html
I can understand him being frustrated but nows not the time for this crap. With the emergence of Cory it was just a matter of time.

SanDiegoSpursFan
05-24-2013, 12:17 PM
Really not a big deal. I'm sure all of the non-rotation guys, and even some of the rotation guys, feel like they deserve to play more.

Uriel
05-24-2013, 12:18 PM
Ugh. Why do all these off-the-court issues have to come up NOW?

Spur|n|Austin
05-24-2013, 12:25 PM
Get over yourself kid :pop:

SpursRock20
05-24-2013, 12:27 PM
Cory Joseph is playing really well right now, so chill out Nando, grab a towel, and root for him.

davidbowie
05-24-2013, 12:30 PM
grab a towel, and root for him.

seriously. like patty. cojo is playing better than you. the end.

peacemaker885
05-24-2013, 12:31 PM
Looks like no Nando next season. Its one thing to feel bad, keep it in and support your team no matter what. Its another to feel bad and express it in the media. Your role on the team doesn't start and end if you play or not. One of your roles as a player on the team is to be the best opponent of the starters during practice. Just show what you got on the court. This is BS. Send him home Pop.

davidbowie
05-24-2013, 12:35 PM
remember when roger "money mase" mason started talking out of school like this lol

RD2191
05-24-2013, 12:36 PM
He's garbage anyway. I fully expect for him to be gone next season. He also refused to go to the d-leauge.

ColinB
05-24-2013, 12:36 PM
Probably feels he can't be any worse than Manu.

swaggerjackson
05-24-2013, 12:41 PM
This is no biggie, he is just being honest. He is not questioning Pop or disrespecting his teammates. He is just saying he doesn't like being on the bench. Honestly would you want a player who is comfortable staying on the bench every game. The kid has fire, which is a good thing. He probably should have vented to a friend or family as opposed to the media, but this is not a big issue.

DesignatedT
05-24-2013, 12:44 PM
Shut the fuck up Nando. This shit couldn't wait a few weeks?

spursparker9
05-24-2013, 12:46 PM
So Jackson influenced him

Spur|n|Austin
05-24-2013, 12:47 PM

He probably thought since he was talking to a French media source, it wouldn't get back to the American media. Wrong dude. Wrong..

Bill_Brasky
05-24-2013, 12:47 PM
These playoffs are definitely not for Nando.

JR3
05-24-2013, 12:50 PM
Terrible Nando... I don't even want to see you on the team anymore. Don't even let him wear a suit.

Whisky Dog
05-24-2013, 12:51 PM
So Jackson influenced him

France influenced him tbh

moisaenz
05-24-2013, 12:52 PM
These playoffs are definitely not for Nando.

Maybe the league is not for him. He might play more minutes with the Spurs next season but with any other team he won't. The Spurs have a system and if you can contribute something regardless of your weaknesses your strengths can be improved and you can get more minutes. In any other franchise he is going to get benched if his individual play does not surpass incredibly the other players.

spurraider21
05-24-2013, 12:57 PM
We all wanted him to win minutes and we all celebrated when pop called him the backup point guard, but he never sustained his good play. One game looked like a playmaker next game was uber passive. Seemed scared to shoot at times, and his D while better than neals was still maddeningly inconsistent he could use another camp/offseason of work. Still has potential due to his size, ball handling, and passing

DesignatedT
05-24-2013, 12:57 PM
I see his point. Dude didn't really do anything to lose his spot in the rotation. I thought he played really well this season, especially for a rookie on limited minutes. Despite fitting in very well and playing his role very well when he did get called upon, Joseph did absolutely nothing to be chosen ahead of De Colo this season. It's along the lines of Blair saying they had the best team in the NBA with him starting and then he can't find any minutes in the playoffs. I agreed with Blair then and I agree with De Colo now.

Further, I'm glad players are starting to call Popobitch out. It's time people finally start questioning this dude.

De Colo was terrible down the stretch of the season.

SpursRock20
05-24-2013, 12:59 PM
I see his point. Dude didn't really do anything to lose his spot in the rotation. I thought he played really well this season, especially for a rookie on limited minutes. Despite fitting in very well and playing his role very well when he did get called upon, Joseph did absolutely nothing to be chosen ahead of De Colo this season. It's along the lines of Blair saying they had the best team in the NBA with him starting and then he can't find any minutes in the playoffs. I agreed with Blair then and I agree with De Colo now.

Further, I'm glad players are starting to call Popobitch out. It's time people finally start questioning this dude.
He played decently this season, but I wouldn't say very well. His lack of decision making at times and inability to create his own shot showed that he wasn't ready for the big stage. As for Cory, he has shown that he spent a lot of time working on his game. He voluntarily when to the D-league to get more reps in and it is his second season. Furthermore, he is playing quite well in the playoffs and should not be losing his spot any time soon. As for Blair, we would not be up 2-0 in this series if he was starting so I'm not sure what you are talking about.

Whisky Dog
05-24-2013, 12:59 PM
The only problem I have with it is this part

" The worst is that it is one of the assistants that tells me that I'm in a suit as if it was normal, but it will be before anything happened. The morning of the game, I was leaving after the shoot around and he said "Nando, okay? Tonight you're in a suit." You say shit. You do not know what happened. You're in a new series. You wonder why you, and not another. It is not obvious at all. At first you think it is a game or two. Assistants tell you that things can change and, in fact, nothing changes. "

If he would have left that out that would be better because that didnt need to go to the press. As long as he's only venting to French newspapers and not being a problem with the team then it won't be an issue. Dude needs to learn from the situation and work his ass off on defensive techniques and shooting this offseason if he wants to play more next year. Can't have a backup point to doesn't defend very well and can't shoot very well. Being very good/great at one of those things gets you minutes aka Joseph with defense and Neal with shooting (although he's sucked balls recently)

Bill_Brasky
05-24-2013, 01:02 PM

?

Nando had a very streaky season pre-Parker injury, while Joseph was killing it in D-League and at the same time learning the Spurs system. We all knew Neal was worthless as a PG so when Parker went down, Pop knew he could have a little competition for the backup spot. Everybody got some fair run, Joseph did the most with his minutes, he won the spot.

I didn't really feel like NDC got wronged, tbh. He could be a guy who does a lot better in year 2. But for now, CJ plays better D, has at least as good handles, and can hit a jump shot. Nando is a better passer but that's about it.

rjv
05-24-2013, 01:04 PM
well-he's not the first frenchie to go off across the pond. although, things did not sit well with pop the last time one of our frogs went public with his complaints.

Old School 44
05-24-2013, 01:05 PM
Pop, time to do something about Nando, and I'm not talking about "making him breakfast".

moisaenz
05-24-2013, 01:08 PM
Spurs need energy of the bench from PG position, especially offensively. Heck, if the Spurs need a french guy only to pass the ball, just get Diaw on a diet and play him at PG.

Whisky Dog
05-24-2013, 01:09 PM
Creator - no. Passer - yes but can be too flashy for playoff ball against a team like the Grizzlies who live on steals. Shooter?? Haha

Besides, if Conley's blowing past him into the lane then his value decreases and I don't think he's quick enough to handle Conley. The most important things for the Spurs backup point in this series and playoffs are defense, ball security, and defense. Joseph is better at those

tesseractive
05-24-2013, 01:10 PM
As long as he's only venting to French newspapers and not being a problem with the team then it won't be an issue. Dude needs to learn from the situation and work his ass off on defensive techniques and shooting this offseason if he wants to play more next year.

I totally agree with both parts of this. This isn't the first time a foreign player has vented to somebody back home, and it won't be the last. But the key is that he gets over whining about it and put in the effort to get better.

If he can get his shooting form and defense into shape, there's no reason he can't take over Gary Neal's minutes next year and use the inevitable injuries and rest days to audition to take over Manu's spot in the rotation when he retires -- not that he'll ever be Manu, of course.

PingPong
05-24-2013, 01:13 PM
He probably thought since hewas talking to a French media source, it wouldn't get back to the Americanmedia. Wrong dude. Wrong..

As I said before, that’s the advantage of having two lawyers in the Family as Splitter does.
:lol

DarrinS
05-24-2013, 01:16 PM
Bit of a non-story, tbh

jimbo
05-24-2013, 01:17 PM
He's a better creator, passer and shooter. For a point guard, I'd say those are pretty important things; in fact, they are THE most important things.

-He doesn't need to create when Manu is on the court with him.
-His passing ability isn't that much of a plus because he doesn't/shouldn't have the ball in his hands all too often.
-His shooting is better than Cojos? That's new news to me. Do you have a shot chart? They've always been nearly the same in my mind with Cojo still scoring off those cuts while Nando would drive to the basket then throw the ball away a la Prigioni.

Same reasons why Chalmers is a better fit than like Ricky Rubio in Miami. They don't need a creator. They have Lebron.

Bill_Brasky
05-24-2013, 01:18 PM
He's a better creator, passer and shooter. For a point guard, I'd say those are pretty important things; in fact, they are THE most important things.

Maybe for other teams, but to me it's pretty apparent Pop wants 3 things in a backup PG:
-Defense(this is the main reason i was excited that Pop rolled with Joseph, he awarded the spot to the best defender)
-Can hit the open J
-Can run the offense and not get in the way; iow find a way to contribute without messing up spacing, holding onto the ball too long, or being too timid

Obviously Joseph has number 1 down. In the RS he was a pretty good shooter, and it seems like he hits when comfortable. It remains to be seen if he can keep it up as the stage gets bigger, he hasn't had a confident J so far in the Grizz series, so we'll see. When he hits shots and makes good cuts, 2 and 3 kinda blend together, and the offense runs smoothly.

Another thing i like is his ability to finish at the rim, there have been a couple plays this year where he's made some really crazy layups through contact.

lil'mo
05-24-2013, 01:18 PM
If you really want playing time for pop, this is not the way to get it

moisaenz
05-24-2013, 01:20 PM
Spurs motion offense is not fitting for Decolo to play pg, maybe sg but not pg....

Budkin
05-24-2013, 01:21 PM
You're a damn rookie... did you really think Pop was going to play you in the playoffs? Do you know how rare that is? Obviously not.

Bruno
05-24-2013, 01:24 PM
This interview has already been posted and translated yesterday in the Think Tank forum:
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148357&page=17&p=6590211&viewfull=1#post6590211

I don't pretend to be great at translating but it's still better than the Google translation posted on that blog.

For the rest, I agree that it's a bit of a non-story. De Colo is just an ambitious player that isn't playing. He can't be satisfied by that. Pop surely deserves a lot of blame for the way he has manage the backcourt this season. He created a logjam of 7 guards and constantly changed his rotation this season. I also agree with De Colo being upset with the way Spurs announced he would be in a suit. No need to be cuddled but Pop could have taken a couple of minutes to explain him why he decided to go with Joseph, Neal and Mills. Communication is a big key in a team.

moisaenz
05-24-2013, 01:26 PM
Everything started going downhill since he started complaining about playing in the D-League.

jimbo
I'm waiting on the good shooter Joseph's 3 point percentage - for this season or his career, either will do.

I'm waiting on you to post NDC's shot chart tbh.

Which is moot anyway, he doesn't play because his skill set doesn't match what the Spurs need. Babby's first NBA thread

Bill_Brasky
Yeah, on the one hand you want Nando to stfu; on the other, you like that he's not satisfied with how things went this season and you hope it makes him push himself a little harder and be a better player next year. I'd love that.

manufan10
05-24-2013, 01:27 PM
CJ 3 FG%: Career: .250 This season: .286 Playoffs: .222

De Colo 3 FG%: .378

DarrinS
05-24-2013, 01:28 PM

Oops

manufan10
05-24-2013, 01:29 PM
Yeah, on the one hand you want Nando to stfu; on the other, you like that he's not satisfied with how things went this season and you hope it makes him push himself a little harder and be a better player next year. I'd love that.

This.

We'll see what kind of drive/work ethic De Colo has this off-season. If it really bothers him and he has the work ethic, then he will find out what areas Pop thinks he needs to improve in and work tirelessly to improve.

Bill_Brasky
05-24-2013, 01:30 PM
That's not a fair comparison. Cory was in the d league for most of the year, where he shot 47% from 3pt land.

DarrinS
05-24-2013, 01:30 PM
I never really saw a clear winner between Nando and CoJo. CoJo does play with a lot of energy, bouncing around like Tigger from Winnie the Pooh, but other than that...?

DarrinS
05-24-2013, 01:31 PM
Oh well, Pop must have seen something that made him chose cojo.

moisaenz
05-24-2013, 01:35 PM
Per 36 minutes

Nando
Pts 10.8 Fg% .436
Cory Joseph 11.7 fg%.464

Cory brings energy and does not disrupt the flow of the offense..

Also Nando fouls more, and turns over the ball more..

Although Nando has better assist average and rebound average

Nando played 72 games Joseph 28.

So obviously nando had way more opportunities this season to accomodate to the team and have better stats than Joseph, which he does not.Joseph scores more, turns over the ball less..

ChumpDumper
05-24-2013, 01:35 PM
Both shot amazingly well in May, and the shooting of both fell off a cliff in April. Aside from Joseph's advantage at guarding traditional-sized point guards, it could have been a coin toss that determined who got the job.

PingPong
05-24-2013, 01:38 PM
Both are scrubs. The Spurs can get rid of any of them.

Chinook
05-24-2013, 01:38 PM

He's been doing it all season. You can go to his thread in the Think Tank for the interviews Bruno has translated if you want to read more.

manufan10
05-24-2013, 01:39 PM
I think the fact that CoJo performed well when given the chance during the playoffs and Pop has just continued to give him the PT. It's the playoffs and TP is going to play a whole lot more minutes than RS, so there's not a lot of minutes left over.

moisaenz
05-24-2013, 01:39 PM
In fact De colo ha splayed more games with the spurs in one season than Joseph in two...

SenorSpur
05-24-2013, 01:40 PM
Bad timing on his part.

Pop & RC should get on the phone and persuade Danny Ferry to take him in exchange for one ATLs 2 first-round picks (#17 or #18) in this upcoming June draft.

Whisky Dog
05-24-2013, 01:41 PM
Joseph's 3 pt shooting at the NBA level is far too small a sample size to judge. His job isn't to shoot 3s as the backup point, it's to play defense and take care of the ball while making the occasional play. He's better at defense and taking care of the ball than De Colo, and whoever said he fouls less I believe is correct as well.

Chinook
To me, it's obvious why Joseph got the nod over De Colo. Joseph embraced his coaching and not only accepted his assignment to Austin, but even asked for it once. De Colo bristled at even spending a day down there, and he can't keep his mouth shut about his role on the team. He's a rookie on a team with championship aspirations; how may minutes does he really expect to get? It feels like a Jack situation to me, in a way. He's so used to being the guy that he can't take being a role-player. If he had come into the league with the right attitude, he'd probably have Neal's spot right now.

K-State Spur

CoJo is a MUCH better defender. His ability to come in and hound the ball for 94 feet is a skill that really nobody else on the team has at this point. When he's knocking down open shots - which he has through these playoffs thus far - it' s a no-brainer that he's of more value to second unit as currently constructed.

Nando is better creator/passer, but not needed from PG on second unit at this time because Manu is running that show anyways.

De Colo is still the higher ceiling prospect of the 2, but not the more valuable for 2013 team.

Bill_Brasky
05-24-2013, 01:42 PM
HAHAHAHA!!!!! Are you trolling right now? I literally laughed out loud at this. You're talking about a fair comparison and then you bring up the D League, now that's rich! But while I catch my breath, tell me how 3 point percentage over his NBA career wouldn't be fair?

It's not the same. I didn't mean it's not fair to Cory to compare, it's not fair to either one. If you wanna argue that De Colo is a hetter shooter go ahead, you could point to the fact that he has better NBA percentages and all that. But he has a larger sample size and played more this year than Joseph.

For Joseph you could point to his d league work, and yes i am very well aware that d league defenders aren't anywhere close to the defenders that he faces in the NBA, but the 3 pt line is the same distance and a hand in the face is a hand in the face.

In all reality though they're both mediocre. Joseph is just way younger and has more potential.

ChumpDumper
Bad form by Nando, but I can understand his frustration if no one is telling him why.

Chinook
Bad timing on his part.

Pop & RC should get on the phone and persuade Danny Ferry to take him in exchange for one ATLs 2 first-round picks (#17 or #18) in this upcoming June draft.

I think the Spurs would do that, but I don't think Atlanta would. Maybe if the Spurs moved their own first and a conditional pick next year too.

Whisky Dog
05-24-2013, 01:44 PM
Bad form by Nando, but I can understand his frustration if no one is telling him why.

You think no coach on the Spurs has said he needs to be the better defender and take care of the ball better to play? I'd be shocked if they haven't communicated that to him all season. He's just not going to tell his French press buddies that.

SA210
05-24-2013, 01:46 PM
How long before Pop asks him if he thinks he's better than other players? lol

ChumpDumper
05-24-2013, 01:47 PM
You think no coach on the Spurs has said he needs to be the better defender and take care of the ball better to play? I'd be shocked if they haven't communicated that to him all season. He's just not going to tell his French press buddies that.Possible. If he's just flat out lying I'd consider trading him, but one would figure minutes at the 2 will be opening up next season. OTOH one could just sign Hanga for a more traditional 2.

Bill_Brasky
05-24-2013, 01:48 PM
Although his talent level should be good enough, I think Atlanta would laugh them off the phone because he can't even get run ahead of Corey Joseph. Corey Joseph.

You seem to have something against CJ. Why do you hate one of the hardest workers on the team?

ChumpDumper
05-24-2013, 01:48 PM
Tbh, this is like when Jacque Vaughn was playing over Beno Udrih. Think about that one for a moment.Are you trying to support your argument?

moisaenz
05-24-2013, 01:49 PM
Haha you either think Joseph is worst than Vaughn or you think Nando will ever be better than UDrih or at leat as good.

Whisky Dog
05-24-2013, 01:50 PM
Possible. If he's just flat out lying I'd consider trading him, but one would figure minutes at the 2 will be opening up next season. OTOH one could just sign Hanga for a more traditional 2.

I wouldn't consider it lying so much as just leaving out some info and venting in frustration. Also, it's possible the coaches didnt tell him that during the playoffs but have during the season and he's just leaving that part out. Either way, if Pop feels Joseph is the backup point then they might shop De Colo and see what they can get.

Bill_Brasky
05-24-2013, 01:51 PM
God damn it.

Sup KBP

ChumpDumper
05-24-2013, 01:52 PM
Yes, I'm talking about the NBA player that was out of work essentially the minute he left the Spurs, and the one who was immediately a starting NBA point guard when he left the Spurs.Is Sacramento still in the NBA?

Chinook
05-24-2013, 01:53 PM
What choice did he have? It was either that or put on a hat at McDonald's.

He was getting his million no matter what. He could have refused his assignment (sort of), but even though he technically couldn't, he didn't have to embrace it.

Dude is a good player and has proven himself in Europe and on national teams, why the fuck would he just accept going down to the D League?

He proved himself well enough to get a contract with the Spurs. He didn't prove himself at all in the NBA, and especially not in the Spurs' system. He didn't get it: The Spurs wouldn't have tried to assign him to the d-league unless they had real plans for him in the future. He wasn't ready for the Spurs; him refusing to go down to Austin wasn't going to change that. That Europe stuff wasn't going to fly; De Colo was easily the LEAST accomplished player on the team this season as far as the NBA goes.

More than Corey Joseph, I'll tell you that.

That was his mistake. Joseph is a veteran who looked good in the summer league. That was going to put him above a rookie. Even when De Colo "beat him out" in training camp, it was tentative at best. Joseph worked on his game, while De Colo complained about minutes. Joseph came back to the NBA with speed, defense and a mid-range/finishing game, while De Colo was still trying to figure out when to shoot the ball.

Bill_Brasky
05-24-2013, 01:54 PM
This isn't about Corey Joseph. You know what? I love that kid and want him on the team for years. He's great to have on the end of your bench - keyword end. It's Popobitch I'm mad at for these horrible decisions. Joseph is not a better player than De Colo to start with, but now De Colo doesn't even get an explanation as to why he doesn't get any playing time all of a sudden? Did Popobitch learn nothing from the Udrih situation?
He won the spot fair and square...it really is that simple.

ChumpDumper
05-24-2013, 01:55 PM
I'm thinking maybe I should post the stats of Beno Udrih and Tony Parker from when they faced off?If you would rather have Beno Udrih than Tony Parker now, that's your thing.

manufan10
05-24-2013, 01:56 PM
This isn't about Corey Joseph. You know what? I love that kid and want him on the team for years. He's great to have on the end of your bench - keyword end. It's Popobitch I'm mad at for these horrible decisions. Joseph is not a better player than De Colo to start with, but now De Colo doesn't even get an explanation as to why he doesn't get any playing time all of a sudden? Did Popobitch learn nothing from the Udrih situation?

You're acting like the move hasn't paid off and is hurting the team. It's not. The Spurs are winning, and CoJo is playing well. He's made the move pay off. I don't see what the problem is, tbh.

ChumpDumper
05-24-2013, 01:57 PM
You're acting like the move hasn't paid off and is hurting the team. It's not. The Spurs are winning, and CoJo is playing well. He's made the move pay off. I don't see what the problem is, tbh.The WCF is the perfect time to call Pop out.

Chinook
05-24-2013, 01:57 PM

Do you also think that James Anderson should still be on the team instead of Danny Green? That's a better comparison.

BillMc
05-24-2013, 01:58 PM
CoJo is a MUCH better defender. His ability to come in and hound the ball for 94 feet is a skill that really nobody else on the team has at this point. When he's knocking down open shots - which he has through these playoffs thus far - it' s a no-brainer that he's of more value to second unit as currently constructed.

Nando is better creator/passer, but not needed from PG on second unit at this time because Manu is running that show anyways.

De Colo is still the higher ceiling prospect of the 2, but not the more valuable for 2013 team.

This. With Manu running the second team, what we need is someone whose primary skill is defending the other team's point guard. This puts CJ ahead of Nando. Probably, if Manu were hurt, Nando would get some time. But thankfully he isn't.

As to how Nando is handling his role, we should be watching to see if he's cheering our team while in a suit or sitting there silently PO'ed.

2centsworth
05-24-2013, 01:59 PM
COJO's energy and defense has been terrific. However, he was a net negative in game 2. He couldn't score and he didn't create. He did hit a crucial FT, so I give him that. If Cory continues to play like he did in game 2, this series may not be for him, but he has earned another chance imo.

As far as Nando, he's not nearly as good as he thinks. He needs to sthu and give good minutes when his number is called.

tesseractive
05-24-2013, 02:00 PM
The WCF is the perfect time to call Pop out.
Well, if we're lucky, maybe he can complain about how bad Pop is next month at a river parade. :lol

Mugen
05-24-2013, 02:02 PM
Not his fault Pop took til the 1st round to make up his mind. That said, he needs to keep his mouth shut until they're out of the playoffs.

He'll have plenty of opportunity next season with the likely departure of Mills/Neal combined with Manu's annual injury vacation tbh.

I liked Nando as the backup for much of the season but have been real impressed with CoJo. Joseph is the ideal backup for Parker if he continues to progress, which i think he will. Nando is a great 5th guard to have on the rotation due to his size/playmaking so I hope he comes back in 2013-14.

ChumpDumper
05-24-2013, 02:02 PM
I'd be fine with that, if he had really won the spot...He did with defense. They both honestly sucked on offense the last month of the regular season.

K-State Spur
05-24-2013, 02:03 PM
I'm thinking maybe I should post the stats of Beno Udrih and Tony Parker from when they faced off?

Guessing that wasn't in the playoffs since a team playing Udrih at PG hasn't made the playoffs other than the Spurs.

I think Lindsey Hunter could still prevent him from crossing half court even now.

DMC
05-24-2013, 02:04 PM
He probably thought since he was talking to a French media source, it wouldn't get back to the American media. Wrong dude. Wrong..

Yeah because he's never seen any French interviews of Tony in the US.

Seriously? Do you think he doesn't know this shit already? Of course he does, but why should he care? These guys are contractors, they have to think of their futures and by not being out there he's not building his wealth for the future. Some team will pick him up, you can rot on the bench in SA if you're not top 2 PG.

Bill_Brasky
05-24-2013, 02:05 PM
Pop awarded defense. How can you not love that?

Chinook
05-24-2013, 02:05 PM
Nobody would be dumb enough to do that. At that present time, he wasn't even good enough to play in the shittiest leagues in Europe, so he needed somewhere to showcase himself. De Colo could go back to Europe and start for pretty much any team he wants and get paid more doing it. That's the difference.

Then he should go back there. He's not better than Joseph here until he gets an NBA game.

He was more ready than Joseph, that's for certain. Up until these playoffs, Joseph hadn't shown a thing to suggest he was an NBA player. I think everyone has been pleasantly surprised with his contribution this playoffs.

Joseph was a better starter than De Colo was, too. Pop gave them both a good bit of run toward the end of the season, and Joseph just did a better job.

I'd hardly call a player in his 2nd year in the NBA, who didn't sniff the floor last season, a veteran.

Well too bad for your interpretation. Joseph has a year to learn the system and more importantly, accept and fulfill the role the Spurs had in mind for him. That instantly put him above De Colo in the pecking order, and Nando made it worse by being inflexible. Also you didn't seem to have a problem glossing over all the ways in which Joseph is better than De Colo.

K-State Spur
05-24-2013, 02:07 PM
My point is that he destroyed an all-star in a head-to-head matchup. If he's capable of doing that, why in the fuck is he behind Jacque Vaughn(LMFAO) on a depth chart?

Because Vaughn could dribble the ball past halfcourt against a decent defender?

DMC
05-24-2013, 02:10 PM
Then why is it that De Colo was ahead of him in the rotation to START the year?

Pop was resting him for the playoffs.

tesseractive
05-24-2013, 02:11 PM

Here's a statistic for you:

2012-2013 regular season turnover percentage:

Tony Parker: 13.0%
Patrick Mills: 13.5%
Cory Joseph: 15.0%
Nando De Colo: 23.7%

Any questions?

Boomersgold
05-24-2013, 02:12 PM
seriously. like patty. cojo is playing better than you. the end.
Unlike De Colo though, Patty's always upbeat, and is always cheering for the success of his teammates. De Colo 's visibly depressed every time he loses his spot as the backup.

manufan10
05-24-2013, 02:19 PM
Here's a statistic for you:

2012-2013 regular season turnover percentage:

Tony Parker: 13.0%
Patrick Mills: 13.5%
Cory Joseph: 15.0%
Nando De Colo: 23.7%

Any questions?

Arguing with the wrong person, tbh.. Charlie Sheen asked for the 3 FG% stats, and I posted them. I think Cory Joseph has proven he deserves the spot, and I've argued that point here, imo fwiw tbh.

tesseractive
05-24-2013, 02:20 PM
Arguing with the wrong person, tbh.. Charlie Sheen asked for the 3 FG% stats, and I posted them. I think Cory Joseph has proven he deserves the spot, and I've argued that point here, imo fwiw tbh.
Sorry, my bad.

Boomersgold
05-24-2013, 02:22 PM
I'd be saying the same shit if I was an overall player like De Colo and a specialist is taking my place. De Colo eats Joseph alive, talent wise. That said, Joseph has been pleasantly surprising in these playoffs.
But moping about your lack of playing time doesn't really do anything to help anyone; it certainly won't make Pop reconsider DC's minutes (or lack thereof), and it certainly doesn't help the team's chemistry. Remember Stephen Jackson? :lol

Also, De Colo, himself, is a specialist in the area of passing. He doesn't produce anything on the offensive end, aside from a few wide open jumpers, and his defense is pretty average. In fact, all three of our backup point guards are specialists. Patty's a scorer, De Colo's a passer and Joseph's an above average defender. De Colo has no real reason to feel frustrated about Joseph being put ahead of him on the depth chart.

Juggity
05-24-2013, 02:22 PM
Cory Joseph has proven himself at this point. His energy on defense has made him an asset. De Colo is capable of good passing and solid offensive play, but Cory's a better 2 way player right now, and in the playoffs that's what the spurs need from the bench.

ChumpDumper
05-24-2013, 02:23 PM
My point is that he destroyed an all-star in a head-to-head matchup. If he's capable of doing that, why in the fuck is he behind Jacque Vaughn(LMFAO) on a depth chart?Since you're into stats, look up Beno's playoff stats.

hooperflash
05-24-2013, 02:26 PM
Nando can go grub on crawfish and get mani pedis with SJAX for all I care.

Johnny RIngo
05-24-2013, 02:32 PM
Beno 2.0

He sucked in Europe, never impressed me at all anytime I was able to watch the French NT, and was a scrub in the NBA this year. Waste of the Spurs time and, more importantly, a waste of a roster spot. Parker was injured for a substantial amount of time - DeColo had a chance to prove himself and he blew it. He can go fuck himself.

Bruno
05-24-2013, 02:34 PM
It isn't only a Joseph vs. De Colo issue. De Colo has been put in a suit while, Mills, a player that has been behind him in the rotation for month, is on the active roster. There is also Neal playing a lot while he truly sucks and an out of shape TMac being active.

I'm not saying these choices aren't the right ones. It's just that they aren't obvious and Pop should definitively spend a minute explaining to De Colo while he is inactive, even more that De Colo is known for his whining. That some basic coaching and I'm damn surprised Pop hasn't done that.

ChumpDumper
What a player does in 5 minutes a game doesn't hold weight with me. What a player does over their career, well, that holds a little bit more.So you you admit really don't care about playoff performance at all.

OK, not a problem. Stop watching until the next regular season then, the rest of us care.

iminol
Nando De Colo @NandoDeColo 2min
San Antonio -> Memphis

via Paris?

K-State Spur
What a player does in 5 minutes a game doesn't hold weight with me. What a player does over their career, well, that holds a little bit more.

40 career playoff 3 pt attempts is decent sample size.

He'd have more, but apparently playing Beno regular minutes doesn't = automatic playoff qualification.

tesseractive
05-24-2013, 02:35 PM
What a player does in 5 minutes a game doesn't hold weight with me. What a player does over their career, well, that holds a little bit more.
Beno was a shitty-ass scrub who had the potential to be more, but he was lazy and never committed himself enough to ever do anything more than be a decent player on a shitty team or a weak player on a decent team. JV sucked, but at least he was fully committed to the team.

ChumpDumper
05-24-2013, 02:36 PM
It isn't only a Joseph vs. De Colo issue. De Colo has been put in a suit while, Mills, a player that has been behind him in the rotation for month, is on the active roster. There is also Neal playing a lot while he truly sucks and an out of shape TMac being active.

I'm not saying these choices aren't the right ones. It's just that they aren't obvious and Pop should definitively spend a minute explaining to De Colo while he is inactive, even more that De Colo is known for his whining. That some basic coaching and I'm damn surprised Pop hasn't done that.Could be that his whining caused him to be written off. I'll look for an offseason trade.

wildcardX
05-24-2013, 02:41 PM
I can understand a person being upset about not getting playing time but you don't go crying about it to the media. You suck it up and work harder, it's the NBA not Europe. The best of the best( can I say there's no points for second place). Nando just shut up, work on your game, and get better.

justinandimcool
05-24-2013, 02:43 PM

I'm not saying these choices aren't the right ones. It's just that they aren't obvious and Pop should definitively spend a minute explaining to De Colo while he is inactive, even more that De Colo is known for his whining. That some basic coaching and I'm damn surprised Pop hasn't done that.

Good point. IMO Pop probably just sees that CJ, Tmac, Mills, and Neal aren't afraid of the big moment and can be trusted not to back down if needed. Also, all 4 have bought into the team concept as far as what I've seen and read, even ballhog Neal. The coaches probably know better than we do that NDC hasn't quite gotten over himself yet.

ChumpDumper
05-24-2013, 02:43 PM
I would at least until the season is over. No team needs this, especially after a Jack episode.

Libri
05-24-2013, 02:47 PM

Do you think that making complaints public is typical of the European player? In other words, is it common in Europe to vent through the media. It's not the first time. There is Paul Gasol and Rudy Fernandez, to name a couple, who made known their displeasure at the lack of playing time.

ChumpDumper
05-24-2013, 02:47 PM
You're really bad at this.You just said you didn't care how Beno performed in the playoffs.

Others did.

Sorry.

manufan10
05-24-2013, 02:48 PM
I would at least until the season is over. No team needs this, especially after a Jack episode.

Rumors were that Jack was negatively influencing some of the younger guys. Maybe NDC was one of those guys.

Bruno
05-24-2013, 02:49 PM
Could be that his whining caused him to be written off. I'll look for an offseason trade.

Well, I would say the most likely reason why De Colo is inactive is because he is a rookie and Pop rarely goes with rookies in the playoffs. Players like Oberto, Hill and Splitter have started their rookie playoffs with DNP-CD.

davidbowie
Unlike De Colo though, Patty's always upbeat, and is always cheering for the success of his teammates. De Colo 's visibly depressed every time he loses his spot as the backup.

thats what i meant lol. be like patty.

smaka
He had a chance to prove himself many times and he didn't impress Pop. Cory had less chance but obviously impressed Pop more. Simple story. And we don't need bitches like that on our team, if he isn't satisfied here, the door is open and he can leave. Just stop bitching around in the playoffs, rook...

Beaverfuzz
It's called, work your ass off to get ahead of the guys ahead of you on the depth chart.

timvp
05-24-2013, 02:51 PM

So, Jack talking in private makes you go off on him and say it's an unforgivable act and you hate him now, while NDC going off in public is fine? Why? :stirpot:

Pop treats the players like men. He doesn't and shouldn't have to hold their hands and explain why they are or aren't playing. And, really, what's Pop going to say to De Colo?

"Hey look, I gave you about a dozen chances during the regular season to earn the backup point guard job. I even publicly came out and supported you. But you were either too turnover prone or too passive and never found any middle ground. Defensively, you were decent but you were also hit or miss on that end as well. In the playoffs, we can't afford turnovers or passive play. Unfortunately, you are guaranteed to provide one or the other."

I think De Colo remains an intriguing prospect for next season but if I'm Pop, I don't play him either in the playoffs. He's simply too green at this point and there really isn't a whole lot of upside to him right now. At least Neal may get hot for a game and pour in ~20 points. Mills is useful as a spark plug. Joseph is a way better fit right now. With Jack gone and Kawhi hurt, TMac is needed as SF depth. Baynes is needed as bigman depth. De Colo is the obvious man for the suit, IMO.

HI-FI
05-24-2013, 02:51 PM
I like Nando, but am very pleased with how CoJo has developed his game in the D League and stepped it up in the playoffs. I understand Nando's frustration, but whining to the media at this point in time is very stupid. I was hoping to see how he would improve for next season but now am wondering if he isn't traded.

ChumpDumper
05-24-2013, 02:53 PM
My theory is that while players like Joseph and Neal suck in many ways, the way they suck is fairly predictable and can be worked into a game plan. NDC was all over the place in his suckage.

Suck more consistently, Nando.

Hoops Czar
05-24-2013, 02:54 PM
We all wanted him to win minutes and we all celebrated when pop called him the backup point guard.
Not all of us. He's terrible. Unless he learns to shoot, he'll never make it in the NBA.

K-State Spur
05-24-2013, 02:55 PM

We know that he hasn't?

While saying he's wearing a suit doesn't sound particularly tactful, it's possible - especially with Nando's rep as a whiner - that it's been explained to him and he just chooses to exaggerate & represent it this way to the press.

And these choices are the right ones.

Bruno
05-24-2013, 02:56 PM
Do you think that making complaints public is typical of the European player? In other words, is it common in Europe to vent through the media. It's not the first time. There is Paul Gasol and Rudy Fernandez, to name a couple, who made known their displeasure at the lack of playing time.

Maybe, I'm not sure. It's true that it's common in sports like soccer to have players complaining about not playing and asking or even forcing their team to trade them.

There is also the fact that these Euro rookies aren't the same kind of rookies. A player like De Colo is 25 years old and has taken a pay cut to join Spurs. It's not the same situation that a 20 years old rookie coming from college where he wasn't officially paid.

monkeypunk
05-24-2013, 02:58 PM
Could be that his whining caused him to be written off. I'll look for an offseason trade.

Likely and I think we can get back a decent piece for him, he's definitely talented (passing wise anyway, shooting is too streaky) but he would fit a need on a ton of teams. Just not getting the chance here due to logjam at his position and CJ's actually really great play.

BillMc
05-24-2013, 02:59 PM
As turnover prone as Nando is that Memphis defense (and presumably the Miami defense) would eat him alive. Barring injury, it'll be a suit for him as long as this playoff run lasts.

capek
05-24-2013, 03:01 PM
Anybody else not able to get this site to load? I'd like to read what everyone is bitching about.

Bruno
05-24-2013, 03:05 PM
So, Jack talking in private makes you go off on him and say it's an unforgivable act and you hate him now, while NDC going off in public is fine? Why? :stirpot:

Pop treats the players like men. He doesn't and shouldn't have to hold their hands and explain why they are or aren't playing. And, really, what's Pop going to say to De Colo?

Really???

Jack was waived because and I quote Woj " Spurs believed that Jackson had started to have a negative impact on the team's younger players". That's a gazillion worst than De Colo saying to a newspaper than he isn't fine with not playing.

Jack was hurting the team. AFAIK, NDC isn't at all.

And men communicates. Spurs had a full week off between the Lakers and the Warriors series. It's not crazy to think that Pop should have taken a minute to say to De Colo: "I want to go with more experienced NBA players so you will be in a suit".

FuzzyLumpkins
05-24-2013, 03:20 PM
My theory is that his defensive rotations sucked ass in march into April and he got sat for sucking. Neal is sucking worse and I was hoping that DeCulo might push for some playing time over Dr Ole-no close out. Hope he hasn't burned any bridges. If Pop had his assistants tell him then that hurts his "straight shooter," "tell you like it is" reputation.

angelbelow
05-24-2013, 03:21 PM
Nando shouldn't have said that, but hes young and eager to play. Mistakes happen, and if he can learn from this, then I don't really think this will be a big deal.

ElNono
05-24-2013, 03:27 PM
I think it's probably a combo of things, including:

1) Neal has been there. Even if he plays horrible, it's less risky.
2) He really can't shot the 3. Mills can and Mills also has a few NBA seasons under his belt (see 1).
3) T-Mac is more of wing insurance. He's probably there in case Kawhi has some serious problem with the knee.

I also wouldn't discount it's a case of...

4) Some tough love. It's not out of the realm of possibilities that Pop just thinks De Colo has to earn his playoff stripes in a suit from the bench, much like Bonner, Oberto, Splitter, Hill, etc... Realistically, Neal is probably gone when the season ends. Mills next season is a team option. Manu is still in the air. He's going to have chances next season to prove he has made improvements. He's going to have to show a much more steady hand and better shooting than this season, but there's no reason to think he can't do it.

Kidd K
05-24-2013, 03:29 PM
I can name you a few people who aren't frustrated at Nando's lack of playing time this postseason: Me, and damn near every other Spurs fan who isn't blind.

The guy is extremely raw and unworthy of playing in the current Spurs' rotation unless multiple Spurs PGs get injured and they have no choice to. Joseph and Mills are both better than Nando, and honestly Neal pretty much is too even though he's not even a PG.

I don't doubt that Nando has potential to be better, but he absolutely isn't anywhere close to good this season. Instead of crying about it, he should he using it as fuel to work hard to improve.

Chinook
05-24-2013, 03:37 PM
Then why is it that De Colo was ahead of him in the rotation to START the year?

Neither was projected to get playing time when Ginobili returned. Joseph wanted to go to Austin to get minutes to develop his game and De Colo didn't think he needed to. So the Spurs let both players do what they wanted them to until the d-league season ended. Then Joseph and De Colo competed for the spot, and Joseph won. It's pretty simple, really. For all the talk about De Colo being better than Joseph, Nando needed the time in Austin as much as Cory did.

Chinook
05-24-2013, 03:39 PM
Mills next season is a team option.

Mills has a player option.

You're right that Pop has plans for De Colo. Otherwise, he wouldn't have tried to send him to the d-league (or paid him to come over in the first place). It's up to Nando to get the right mentality.

TrainOfThought5
05-24-2013, 03:44 PM
Spurs motion offense is not fitting for Decolo to play pg, maybe sg but not pg....

This.

Chinook
05-24-2013, 03:49 PM
So wait, according to you, the players are calling the shots here? lmfao

In a way, yes. If a player really doesn't want to be sent to the d-league, the team won't send them there. There's no upside to it. De Colo should have spent the whole year in Austin, or at least the parts when he didn't get playing time. But he clearly has too high of an opinion of himself to do that. If Joseph could see that he wasn't going to get minutes with the big club, you don't think Pop did as well?

He most likely sat them both down and explained what role he expected each one to play. As timvp said, he treats his players like men. Joseph wanted to do whatever he could to get better, while De Colo didn't. That difference goes a long way.

emanueldavidginobili
05-24-2013, 03:51 PM
Although he shouldn't be saying all this while his teams up 2-0 in the WCF I respect that he cares that much and is frustrated I see where hes coming from Nando played 72 games this season while Cj played 28 and all of a sudden they tell Nando that hes going to be inactive and CJ is the backup pg. Nando says hes going to get better and work on his game and I think he will. Nando is a better basketball player than CJ tbh, Cj is just better for the Spurs system as of now. I love CJ hustle toughness that he brings so Pop made the right decision imo but I see where Nando is coming from.

Chinook
05-24-2013, 03:56 PM
Really???

Jack was waived because and I quote Woj " Spurs believed that Jackson had started to have a negative impact on the team's younger players". That's a gazillion worst than De Colo saying to a newspaper than he isn't fine with not playing.

Jack was hurting the team. AFAIK, NDC isn't at all.

And men communicates. Spurs had a full week off between the Lakers and the Warriors series. It's not crazy to think that Pop should have taken a minute to say to De Colo: "I want to go with more experienced NBA players so you will be in a suit".

De Colo seems like a honest person (to a fault in this case) so I assume he meant what he said. But I imagine Pop did talk to De Colo to some extent. Someone on in the organization would at least tell him, especially if it was something as simple as, "Rookies don't play in the post-season." Even Udrih figured that out.

It could be a bigger issue with De Colo. There are real holes in his game that aren't covered up by his good qualities. That he's made so little progress in fixing those this season suggests there could be quite a large disconnect between him and the coaching staff.

colargol
05-24-2013, 04:23 PM
As already said by bruno the traduction is awful.
i read it first in french and didn't feel NDC complaining, he was more upset and frustrated, but as any player with no playing time.
He never asked for anything
And as you can read, my french is, hopefully, better than my english :toast

Bruno
05-24-2013, 04:25 PM
De Colo seems like a honest person (to a fault in this case) so I assume he meant what he said. But I imagine Pop did talk to De Colo to some extent.

Well, you can imagine what you want but I will stick with Nando not being a liar and/or not being stupid. It happened like he is saying that is to say an assistant coach just told him he would wear a suit after the shoot-around and Pop didn't talked to him to "some extent".

De Colo is obviously wrong to whine to a journalist in the middle of the playoffs but I'm saying that Pop has also been wrong to behave like that.

It could be a bigger issue with De Colo. There are real holes in his game that aren't covered up by his good qualities. That he's made so little progress in fixing those this season suggests there could be quite a large disconnect between him and the coaching staff.

That's your view and I just disagree. De Colo has fixed some of his issues like turnovers and defense through the year.
Saying that, De Colo being put on the inactive list could also be a sign that Pop don't think he can be a worthwhile NBA player in the future. Pop is clearly wary of playing rookies in the playoffs but De Colo being that far in the depth chart isn't a good sign for his future with Spurs.

crc21209
05-24-2013, 04:32 PM
I don't see what he's whining about, Joseph clearly outplayed him during the end of the regular season. Plus, he's a rookie. Get over it, sit on the bench and cheer for your teammates...

Chinook
05-24-2013, 04:47 PM
Well, you can imagine what you want but I will stick with Nando not being a liar and/or not being stupid. It happened like he is saying that is to say an assistant coach just told him he would wear a suit after the shoot-around and Pop didn't talked to him to "some extent".

De Colo is obviously wrong to whine to a journalist in the middle of the playoffs but I'm saying that Pop has also been wrong to behave like that.

And I can understand that. But it's not like Pop is a costumer-service agent. There're only 15 players on the team, and there's supposedly always someone around to talk to. It's just weird that Pop would be playing keep-away with the truth. Pop has been brutally honest with players with both higher and lower standing than De Colo in the past. He's got a pretty clear track record. While De Colo may have a record of being honest and smart, he also has one of not really understanding the NBA in general and the Spurs' front office in particular. If what you think is true about rookies, it should be pretty obvious to him as well. Anyone on the team could have told him that if he's really been trying to figure it out. I'm sure Parker would have told him.

That's your view and I just disagree. De Colo has fixed some of his issues like turnovers and defense through the year.
Saying that, De Colo being put on the inactive list could also be a sign that Pop don't think he can be a worthwhile NBA player in the future. Pop is clearly wary of playing rookies in the playoffs but De Colo being that far in the depth chart isn't a good sign for his future with Spurs

Turnovers and defense aren't necessarily what I am as concerned about. It's really his lack of aggression. Joseph is a pest on defense (as opposed to just being solid) while having a good mid-range game, nice finishing ability and a decent three-point shot. I don't think De Colo is a bad player, but he doesn't bring anything to the team that it needs right now.

I don't think Pop has given up on De Colo (at least due to anything on the court). I think De Colo is Ginobili insurance more than a rotation player, just as Baynes is Splitter insurance. I think that Pop just doesn't see a need for his role with everyone healthy. I think if Ginobili were hurt, De Colo would jump ahead of Mills on the depth chart, just as Baynes jumped Blair.

kaji157
05-24-2013, 05:02 PM
He lost his spot for two reasons.
1. He was playing awfull by the end of march, the second unit was awfull and he was the PG of that unit.
2. Cory Joseph turned into a very good defensive backup and Ginobili regained his playmaking skills. So DeColo was not needed anymore to create, and he doesn´t defend as wel as Cory nor creates better than Manu.

He better shuts up or goes back to france, i don´t care.

mudyez
05-24-2013, 05:13 PM
I still hope we will keep him...Ship Neals ass and get rid of T-Mac...that should open up some minutes for Nando and Patty.

CoJo > Patty > Nando > T-Mac > Neal

Bruno
05-24-2013, 05:21 PM
It's just weird that Pop would be playing keep-away with the truth. Pop has been brutally honest with players with both higher and lower standing than De Colo in the past. He's got a pretty clear track record.

I think Pop just thought it wasn't necessary to explain De Colo while he was inactive. Part of the coaching job is knowing your personal. De Colo has an history of complaining when he is in the doghouse whether it is with the FNT or when he was in Spain. He is a also a rookie from a foreign country so you can't expect him to go directly ask Pop why he isn't playing. Knowing that, Pop should have adjust the way he communicates with his players and explain De Colo his choice.

At the end, I really don't think it's a big deal. As colargol said, De Colo is just disappointed and frustrating by not playing. This story will be solved by a single talk with Pop where Pop will say to De Colo:
- STFU, we don't want you to talk like that to the medias especially in the middle of the playoffs.
- why he is inactive for these playoffs.
- that they will have an extended talk at the end of the season during his exit interview about his future with Spurs and what kind of role he would have next season.

pad300
05-24-2013, 05:31 PM
Charlie Sheen's a bitter, drunk old man, who doesn't understand the roles on the team...

At the PG spot, we go as far as Parker takes us - no else on the team has the ability to carry us if he goes down. So what's the backup PG for? To let Tony take a breather. So the backup PG's job is to hold the fort and not lose the game. This is why Cojo is the backup PG - he's the best defender among the backup PG's, and he makes relatively few turnovers (as tesseractive posted: http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214984&p=6592991&viewfull=1#post6592991 ). He's also been decent to good offensively during the run so far.

Manu and Green are of course better SG's.

Kawhi's a better SF, (as is Manu - which is why Manu's getting some minutes at 3).

Anyone else on the playoff roster needs to bring a special skill of value. T-Mac has size at the 3 - he can defend a big 3/small 4 much more effectively (than the rest of our scrubs). Mills and Neal are both high volume scorers who can rescue a game going bad if they are hot. While De Colo is a better overall player than Mills or Neal, but he is simply not in their league when it comes to getting hot and pouring in points... So De Colo wears a suit and should practice his shooting...and hope for a trade if he wants a lot of PT.

ducks
05-24-2013, 05:37 PM
maybe pop thought tp would explain to him he is a rookie

KL2
05-24-2013, 05:41 PM
maybe pop thought tp would explain to him he is a rookie

All the blame goes on TP for not making his countryman a better player, TP is a terrible leader. It's too bad Nando isn't from Argentina, cause then he'd be able to learn from Manu, the true leader of the Spurs.

pgardn
05-24-2013, 05:47 PM
D

With limited TO's on offense.

Stronger and much faster.

Nando has a long way to go if he does not realize this.

milkyway21
05-24-2013, 05:50 PM
If the Spurs can advance to NBA finals (I don't know if Neal can be a factor in that), if not, bring Bertans in the summer work him out, if he can fit in the system, keep De Colo over Neal.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSPw-ogRFjr69ZtH0QUIes787QGd8MzyPVAttXIBaigGa5qeFiOug

Whisky Dog
05-24-2013, 05:57 PM
The way Neal has looked this season I'm thinking he doesn't land a big contract at all. lle money or a bit more but he's such a liability on defense and his hit has looked terrible for stretches during the season and all playoffs

freetiago
05-24-2013, 06:35 PM
Nando isnt spur material
just another french phaggot

refused to go to the d-league and now complains when hes been trash all season
cant believe they wasted all that money on his signing

SpursIndonesia
05-24-2013, 06:54 PM
Nando doesn't deserve minutes in front of CoJo who has proven his worth as a playoff performer, but he certainly has some case against Gary Neal who doesn't play defense, with shaky ball handling, and shitty outside shooting. Coach Pop plays Neal simply out of reputation, not really on merit.

Obstructed_View
05-24-2013, 07:45 PM
Ya blabbed, Nando. Ya blabbed about Mars. :lol

Seriously: bye, Nando.

HarlemHeat37
05-24-2013, 08:08 PM
None of the backup guards on the team are impressive, tbh, they all have severe flaws and a low ceiling..

Joseph has been better than expected in the playoffs, so I don't have a problem with Pop's choice..

I understand why De Colo would be upset, though..not even due to Joseph's PT advantage over him, but rather Neal's, tbh..if I was an NBA player and I had to watch Gary Neal play ahead of me, I'd immediately request a trade, tbh..I can only imagine how McGrady feels:lol..

Obstructed_View
05-24-2013, 08:41 PM
Beno Udrih had a thousand times more talent than Nando De Colo and couldn't make it as a Spur with an entitled attitude. Guys who don't try hard and think something is owed to them don't win, and certainly don't stick in San Antonio. Beno's probably content putting up 10 and 6 for a 20-win team. Nando will be there soon enough.

SenorSpur
05-24-2013, 10:12 PM
It's very early, but it would appear to me that Joseph will rank ahead of Nando because of his emerging overall development and his defensive prowess. That said, I just don't think there is a place for him in an already-crowded backcourt. I believe Nando best value to the Spurs would be in the way of offseason trade fodder, perhaps as a chip to swap places with another team in the draft.

100%duncan
05-24-2013, 10:16 PM
He's a fucking scrub.

tim_duncan_fan
05-24-2013, 10:16 PM
Get the fuck outta here De Colo. Everyone wanted you to take command and own your role on the team, but you played scared 55% of the time so sit your ass down on the bench and shut the fuck up.

Dizzle
05-24-2013, 10:29 PM
nando is GARBAGE and is not a spur.. atleast not yet.. dude aint even wet behind the ears yet when it comes to NBA basketball. needs ALOT of work. ship his ass out or trade him we dont need this shit.

ThaBigFundamental21
05-25-2013, 09:04 AM
Seriously, if you think you are going to start blabbing at a time like this, fuck you then, you little bitch. We don't need you, we definitely don't need your drama. We have a title to win. Get the fuck out. The Spurs didn't take Stephen Jackson's shit, they aren't going to take shit from a first year scrub who can't shoot or play Defense.

eDizzle20
05-25-2013, 09:59 AM
Joseph has paid his dues. I give Joseph a lot of credit asking Pop to send him down to the D-League to get some playing time. He obviously improved while he was in the D-League and never stopped working. That is a huge reason Joseph leap frogged Nando when TP went down with the ankle injury.

tmtcsc
05-25-2013, 10:42 AM
This is no biggie, he is just being honest. He is not questioning Pop or disrespecting his teammates. He is just saying he doesn't like being on the bench. Honestly would you want a player who is comfortable staying on the bench every game. The kid has fire, which is a good thing. He probably should have vented to a friend or family as opposed to the media, but this is not a big issue.

:toast Well said.

tmtcsc
05-25-2013, 10:46 AM
Why did CoJo take Nando's spot ? Cuz he found a way to put an "s" in front of crappy.

Thank you, I'll be here all week. Don't forget to tip the waitstaff...

spurraider21
05-25-2013, 10:59 AM
in 2010-2011 Danny Green got scrub minutes in his limited time here, and even at the start of last season wasn't getting much. He was a good soldier through most of the process, and when opportunity presented itself, he won more minutes, and eventually, a starting job. Look at Tiago's situation, too. If you keep your mouth shut and play well in your opportunities, you will be rewarded

moisaenz
05-25-2013, 11:10 AM
At the end of the day Joseph has something nando does not, it's called humility. That is why I think even mills will get some time before Nando

MR-Clutch
05-25-2013, 11:48 AM
Why did CoJo take Nando's spot ? Cuz he found a way to put an "s" in front of crappy.

Thank you, I'll be here all week. Don't forget to tip the waitstaff...
:lol

dunkman
05-25-2013, 12:03 PM
It was worrying to think De Colo or Neal would run some point in the playoffs. I understand De Colo's frustration, but the Spurs have Parker that plays +30 mpg, and then Neal, Patty, De Colo and Cory for just a few minutes.

Patty is a serviceable PG, he played quite well when given the opportunity, and still had no shot. De Colo is still a rookie, that's never a good thing in the PO's. At least he played in the RS. Cory worked a lot to deserve his opportunity.

I hope RC and Pop stick with Parker, Cory and Patty or De Colo the following season. More then 3 PG's doesn't make sense.

The Spurs need some help at SF.

Bambililos
05-25-2013, 01:24 PM
For those who misunderstood, as a pro player I'm of course frustrated when I don't play. But the most important thing is the team wins. No matter my personnal case. No discussion about that.

pikkiwoki
05-25-2013, 01:49 PM

iminol
05-25-2013, 01:52 PM
go home Nando, you're drunk

wildbill2u
05-25-2013, 02:07 PM
Refusing to go to the D-League might be permissible under his contract. I've been wondering why he wasn't assigned there to get some playing time. On the other hand, it's been reported that Cojo ASKED to be sent down so he could get some minutes to hone his skills.

Looks to me that Cojo wins this issue in two ways. First, he showed a better attitude in wanting to improve. Second, he did improve and obviously passed De Colo who was sulking on the bench.

Say what you will about Pop, but he plays the best player available who has moved into the spot in the rotation in his judgement. And Pop doesn't permanently 'brand' a player as the #2 or #3 guy at a position. Hard work and improvement is what counts and there is the opportunity to move up that many coaches don't really provide.

That's a hell of a motivation break for guys on the bench IMO. They have no reason to sit around and bitch about "coach's pets'. Playing time is all on them. And Pop demonstrated that his policy applies to vets like Jax as well as rookies.

BackHome
05-25-2013, 03:57 PM
Making much about nothing..

ulosturedge
05-25-2013, 05:21 PM
Nando lost his spot because he's been a defensive liability on the court and if he's not knocking down shots and creating for his teammates he's worthless out there. He would have been torched in that Goldenstate series. He just doesnt have the speed and athleticism to keep up in the NBA. CJ has been really good on defense and has improved alot. He was killing it in the D league a sign that this kid is nba material. His ceiling is much higher then decolo's. I dont even know where u play Decolo. He cant keep up with PGs and cant stop SGs. How do you work him in; in a young mans league that is loaded with speed and athleticism. I just dont see his game translates well to the nba.

moisaenz
05-25-2013, 05:28 PM
go home Nando, you're drunk

All that french wine..

Ditty
05-25-2013, 05:33 PM
De Colo was one of the reasons we were struggling at the end of the season. If he learned how to shoot and was a pest on defense like Joseph, maybe he would been the backup. He is supporting & cheering on the guys on sideline while in a suit, so I don't think it's as big deal as it seems.

NickiRasgo
05-25-2013, 11:23 PM
Nando De Colo - Official Fan Page (https://www.facebook.com/NandoDeColo.Official?ref=stream&hc_location=stream)
For those who misunderstood, as a pro player I'm of course frustrated when I don't play. But the most important thing is the team wins. No matter my personnal case. No discussion about that.
https://www.facebook.com/NandoDeColo.Official/posts/10151374598011863