PDA

View Full Version : Allen fined $5,000 by NBA

Maddog
05-24-2013, 03:54 PM
http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2013/05/24/allen-fined-5000-by-nba/

CubanMustGo
05-24-2013, 03:55 PM
What a fucking joke. A deliberately major flop gets a pocket change fine?

Embedded
05-24-2013, 03:55 PM
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man In Black
05-24-2013, 03:57 PM
That's more like it....OUCH my head.

Chinook
05-24-2013, 03:57 PM
Did they rescind the flagrant? Otherwise, it doesn't really make sense.

ohmwrecker
05-24-2013, 03:58 PM

Why would they rescind the flagrant?

TrainOfThought5
05-24-2013, 03:59 PM
that flop almost won the game for them. it should be at least triple that.

Reck
05-24-2013, 04:00 PM

What difference will that make?

If I'm Manu I'd make sure to really hit him in the head in game 3 for being a beta pussy.

Also, wasn't this same guy that said Manu was faking his injuries in 2011? What a massive tool.

JR3
05-24-2013, 04:00 PM
They said the flagrant was aside from the flopping that came after the flagrant... they are sticking with that I guess... They still have to answer for mahimni's foul on lebron though.... why was that not a flagrant?

JR3
05-24-2013, 04:01 PM
Well deserved fine.

TheyCallMePro
05-24-2013, 04:02 PM
I can't believe Tony Allen is still mad at Ginobli. I mean Allen PURPOSELY tripped Tony Parker on a fast break in Game 1, and he wasn't called for a flagrant. And that was a DIRTY play. What Ginobli did was a typical "prevent the layup" foul and Allen just overreacted. Allen's the one who should have been called for a flagrant in game 1. Not Ginobli in game 2. He needs to get over it. He's probably just embarrassed more than anything on being called out on his acting job.

siraulo23
05-24-2013, 04:02 PM
What a fucking joke. A deliberately major flop gets a pocket change fine?

I think that's the penalty for first offense, then costs much more for repeated violations

elec99
05-24-2013, 04:03 PM
Yeah, they dont want to do any justice to the spurs so the flagrant remains. But nice to see the fine, more symbolic than anything. Fine should have been higher since the common sense believe the acting led to the flagrant which led to OT, thus giving Grizz a chance to alter the outcome of the game. Let's just hope manu learns better clock awareness.

JR3
05-24-2013, 04:04 PM
wait... no other sources? You would think this made BSPN or yahoo sports.

diego
05-24-2013, 04:05 PM
Allen is the fourth player fined for flopping during the postseason, joining Jeff Pendergraph, J.R. Smith and Derek Fisher.

damn foreigners ruining the integrity of the game.

tbh, I thoroughly enjoyed this whole debacle. Manu made allen look like a total bitch, especially if you remember his accusations that manu faked his elbow injury two years ago...

JR3
05-24-2013, 04:09 PM
oh okay, another thread has yahoo source.

Reck
05-24-2013, 04:11 PM
Why are there 2 other threads about this here?

Whisky Dog
05-24-2013, 04:17 PM
Should have been 25 k. Dude didnt flop to get a foul call, he faked an injury. Should be much higher penalty like 25 k fine and forced to leave his wife alone with Tony Parker for 3 hours or something

crc21209
05-24-2013, 04:17 PM
Good. That's what he gets for acting like an idiot. Although it probably could've been a little more....

Spur|n|Austin
05-24-2013, 04:29 PM
I can't believe Tony Allen is still mad at Ginobli. I mean Allen PURPOSELY tripped Tony Parker on a fast break in Game 1, and he wasn't called for a flagrant. And that was a DIRTY play. What Ginobli did was a typical "prevent the layup" foul and Allen just overreacted. Allen's the one who should have been called for a flagrant in game 1. Not Ginobli in game 2. He needs to get over it. He's probably just embarrassed more than anything on being called out on his acting job.

Sounds like you need to get over it bud, just saying.

SA210
05-24-2013, 04:32 PM
Sources say when he got hit with the fine, he flopped again

Bruno
05-24-2013, 04:33 PM
Good call.

Manu's foul was a flagrant. Bringing down a player in the air like he did is a dangerous move that could create injuries and which should be penalized with a flagrant.

After the foul, Allen was exaggerating to trick referees into calling it a flagrant (1 or 2). It's worth a flopping fine.

spyder
05-24-2013, 04:34 PM
wait... no other sources? You would think this made BSPN or yahoo sports.
Also ESPN..they just sent me a text about the fine..Fuck Allen!!!

Seventyniner
05-24-2013, 04:35 PM
The league should fine the Grizzlies 2 points.

spyder
05-24-2013, 04:45 PM

:lol

superbigtime
05-24-2013, 05:05 PM
that's it? that ain't nuthin. what hypocrisy.

Chinook
05-24-2013, 05:33 PM
Why would they rescind the flagrant?

If I'm Manu I'd make sure to really hit him in the head in game 3 for being a beta pussy.

Also, wasn't this same guy that said Manu was faking his injuries in 2011? What a massive tool.

I think there's a difference between flopping and selling a foul. I thought the league didn't fine players if they were actually fouled. It's pretty easy to see when contact isn't made, but if the league gets into the gray area of "you didn't need to react that much" it gets a lot harder to enforce. Maybe Allen's case is clear-cut, but it sets a bad precedent, in my opinion.

vander
05-24-2013, 05:34 PM
not about the money imo, just the league saying they saw what we saw. and I'm glad to hear it

Kidd K
05-24-2013, 05:35 PM
Terrible, nearly irrelevant fine with no apology by the league for calling it a flagrant which nearly cost the Spurs that game and possible the series. . . and they didn't rescind the flagrant from Manu. Extremely disappointed in the league's very lax reaction to that play.

Since the league is too pussy to issue a public warning to the Grizzlies threatening to eject any player that tries that again, I hope (and I know this won't happen) they don't give them the benefit of the doubt on plays like that again for the rest of the series.

monkeypunk
05-24-2013, 05:42 PM

:lol

diego
05-24-2013, 05:51 PM
also, someone should make a compilation of all the times manu has been taken down and just walks away, comes back and makes his FT (im thinking of the 05 series mostly but there are enough for a good 6 minutes of footage), but of course he is the flopper...

Aztecfan03
05-24-2013, 05:52 PM
It should have been a flagrant anyways. stop whining.

And it's that little because they have a set fine for flopping in the playoffs this year that increases with each additional foul.

milkyway21
05-24-2013, 06:35 PM

Also, wasn't this same guy that said Manu was faking his injuries in 2011? What a massive tool. classic :lmao

quentin_compson
05-24-2013, 06:42 PM
Terrible, nearly irrelevant fine with no apology by the league for calling it a flagrant which nearly cost the Spurs that game and possible the series. . . and they didn't rescind the flagrant from Manu. Extremely disappointed in the league's very lax reaction to that play.

For crying out loud ... One thing is, according to the rulebook, Allen's reaction to the foul should not play any role whatsoever in determining if it's a flagrant foul or not. Granted, maybe/probably refs are not completely immune to stuff like that. Still, it was Manu that put the refs in that position. He just was a tad too far behind and made a dangerous play (pretty clear if you watch the replays, I think). And are you seriously saying Allen/the Grizz were trying to set a precendent for a Spurs player being ejected??

dbestpro
05-24-2013, 07:01 PM
They said the flagrant was aside from the flopping that came after the flagrant... they are sticking with that I guess... They still have to answer for mahimni's foul on lebron though.... why was that not a flagrant?

Ira Winderman: The Ian Mahinmi foul was a grab of LeBron James' arm that the Sun Sentinel has learned has been upgraded by NBA to a Flagrant 1.

PÒÓCH
05-24-2013, 07:09 PM
This just in! USA Soccer is interested in his services.

Embedded
05-24-2013, 07:18 PM
For crying out loud ... One thing is, according to the rulebook, Allen's reaction to the foul should not play any role whatsoever in determining if it's a flagrant foul or not. Granted, maybe/probably refs are not completely immune to stuff like that. Still, it was Manu that put the refs in that position. He just was a tad too far behind and made a dangerous play (pretty clear if you watch the replays, I think). And are you seriously saying Allen/the Grizz were trying to set a precedent for a Spurs player being ejected??

I disagree completely. Under the anti-flopping rule, "The primary factor in determining whether a player committed a flop is whether his physical reaction to contact with another player is inconsistent with what would reasonably be expected given the force or direction of the contact" Under that definition, Tony Allen committed a flop. Not his initial fall, but his reaction to it.

Kidd K
05-24-2013, 07:35 PM
For crying out loud ... One thing is, according to the rulebook, Allen's reaction to the foul should not play any role whatsoever in determining if it's a flagrant foul or not. Granted, maybe/probably refs are not completely immune to stuff like that. Still, it was Manu that put the refs in that position. He just was a tad too far behind and made a dangerous play (pretty clear if you watch the replays, I think). And are you seriously saying Allen/the Grizz were trying to set a precendent for a Spurs player being ejected??

? I'm not sure what you're getting at with talking about Spurs players getting ejected. I said nothing about that.

Manu's play was actually not dangerous. He grabbed Allen's forearm, not his neck or chest or around the body. Allen had almost complete control over his own body and only fell over because he chose to keep his grip on the ball instead of let go of it. If he let go of his grip on the ball, Manu would've just pulled his arm down and Allen would've landed safely on his feet, resulting in just a regular foul call.

You can argue Manu should have let him go and not have tried to stop the layup, but Manu did not commit a flagrant, so I'm not going to sit here and act like he was wrong when he wasn't. It actually was the right play because if Allen missed 1 of 2, the Spurs were then up 3 and have had almost no pressure shooting their free throws.

It was not a flagrant, and should not have been called one. The only reason it was, was because of Tony Allen's fabricated reaction and feigning of an injury. And yes, I do think THAT kind of flopping should be an ejectable offense if repeated in the playoffs. Not exaggerating actual contact, but fabricating contact and/or faking injury to try and draw a call.

Obstructed_View
05-24-2013, 07:51 PM
Ira Winderman: The Ian Mahinmi foul was a grab of LeBron James' arm that the Sun Sentinel has learned has been upgraded by NBA to a Flagrant 1.

I see what the NBA did there.

letmk
05-24-2013, 08:12 PM
Nothing against Allen as there many many worse flop players. But NBA has to get serious with flopping, otherwise it would ruin the game like it did with soccer.

The current rule of post-game review by the League and posing fines does not deter any player a bit. They have to give the discretion to the referees and make it a technique foul counted into disqualification. Say, you get one technique foul for arguing, another one for flopping, you are out.

letmk
05-24-2013, 08:15 PM
Like those hands on face when the other player didn't even touch the player, or Harden/Martin's lateral fall to the floor after shooting when nobody touched them. Those kinds of flop are extremely damaging the game.

King
05-24-2013, 08:20 PM
Not worried about the money. Face it, there's nothing that you can reasonable fine these guys for this type of offense that is going to make them flinch. But, the NBA is essentially saying, "Look, we saw that what you did is BS and we're going to be keeping an eye on you." Much more important than a fine.

m33p0
05-24-2013, 10:45 PM
at least the league acknowledged Allen flopped.

DMC
05-25-2013, 12:00 AM

Read the rule book. Manu did not, could not, make a play on the ball, He's lucky he wasn't hit with a clear path but same results. The foul had nothing to do with the Spurs letting them score AGAIN. The bigger issue was the consecutive trips where Bonner got the ball at the top of the key and the rest of the team abandoned him like he's Allen Iverson up there, then the last second flail at the rim by Manu. Shot clock violation would have been preferable. Why do people feel they need to risk a turnover that leads to a break instead of making the opponent inbound the ball allowing your team to get back on defense?

hsxvvd
05-25-2013, 12:24 AM
Not even the small blind on the team bus.

SpurOutofTownFan
05-25-2013, 12:53 AM
5k? Wow I'm scared now!

quentin_compson
05-25-2013, 03:49 AM
? I'm not sure what you're getting at with talking about Spurs players getting ejected. I said nothing about that.

Okay, then I misunderstood you on that point.

However, we still disagree about this:

Manu's play was actually not dangerous.

Typical London Boy
05-25-2013, 04:04 AM
So deliberately cheat and it's a $5,000 fine, but rest players and field a team playing totally fair and honest and it's a $250,000 fine? Right, that makes sense.

TampaDude
05-25-2013, 09:03 AM
So deliberately cheat and it's a $5,000 fine, but rest players and field a team playing totally fair and honest and it's a $250,000 fine? Right, that makes sense.

It's all about basketball revenue for $tern.

Kidd K
05-25-2013, 03:22 PM
Okay, then I misunderstood you on that point.

However, we still disagree about this:

No prob man. :)

I still don't think it was dangerous though, because Allen still had more than enough control over his body to not fall like that. Manu was just trying to stop the shot from happening (a foul, but a legit basketball play), not trying to hurt the guy. There was no intent or followthrough. He just grabbed his forearm but Allen was so concerned with getting the shot up that he held onto the ball until he was already tipping over.

If Manu had grabbed his neck, chest, or waist and pulled him over, I would agree that it was dangerous. . .but his forearm? Allen has to create all the counterforce himself in order for Manu to actually pull him over that way.