PDA

View Full Version : Does Tim Duncan retire after this season?

Sec24Row7
05-26-2013, 05:45 AM
Assuming he gets primary custody of kids, an NBA career is a lot of time away from home without a parent being there.

Does the divorce change his time table?

Seems like tony is talking a lot about wanting Tim to "go out on top" etc etc... even though Tim has more time on his contract.

Tony said something in the magic interview about pop leaving when Tim does... Tony said.. hold on Pop give me another 2 years... Tony is signed on through '15... 2 more years...

chapnis
05-26-2013, 05:51 AM
Only if he gets a devastating injury or maaaaybe if the Spurs win the c'ship this year otherwise he'll stay on IMO

100%duncan
05-26-2013, 06:00 AM
If we win it all, it would be the perfect ending imho.

spursparker9
05-26-2013, 06:04 AM
It would be nice for Timmy to retire as a champion just like David Robinson.

TampaDude
05-26-2013, 06:26 AM
I think if the Spurs win #5 this year, Timmy will hang 'em up and go out on top. But ya never know...

Supreme_Being
05-26-2013, 06:27 AM
idk ill text him wait

NRHector
05-26-2013, 06:33 AM
Assuming he gets primary custody of kids, an NBA career is a lot of time away from home without a parent being there.

Does the divorce change his time table?

Seems like tony is talking a lot about wanting Tim to "go out on top" etc etc... even though Tim has more time on his contract.

Tony said something in the magic interview about pop leaving when Tim does... Tony said.. hold on Pop give me another 2 years... Tony is signed on through '15... 2 more years...
Did the wheel fall off?

ezau
05-26-2013, 06:36 AM
TD has an extended family who can take care of his kids. I think he'll stay until the final year of his contract.

TrainOfThought5
05-26-2013, 06:38 AM
Did the wheel fall off?

i think his personal circumstances have changed enough for him to re-evaluate his thinking.

benefactor
05-26-2013, 06:38 AM
Did the wheel fall off?
:lol...well played.

He's got one more guaranteed year and I think he plays it then decides after next season whether or not to pick up his option for '14-'15.

BillMc
05-26-2013, 06:42 AM
I hope not.

Austin_Toros
05-26-2013, 06:54 AM
It the Spurs go all the way it would be timely for TD to retire. However, he still has gas left in the tank to play on if he wants so it might come down to how badly he wants to keep balling. I think he will play on.

pookenstein
05-26-2013, 07:08 AM
I certainly hope not. I'm going to San Antonio next year just to see him and the Spurs.

sehui
05-26-2013, 07:28 AM
Is there a video link to that magic johnson interview with tony parker?

Yuixafun
05-26-2013, 07:59 AM
There's always that dream of the back to back to fulfill.

And maybe retiring and going home to a divorce after a long failed marriage isn't the best medicine for Timmy.

I could see him playing next year to heal.

Imagine him next year when all this drama is passing... we might see him exuberant and carefree. And being with a team that loves him.

Sausage
05-26-2013, 09:58 AM
I thought about that earlier this morning. I was asking myself "IF the Spurs won the title, who is most likely to retire? Tim or Manu? I couldn't answer it. If Tim goes out, then does that mean Pop follows him? You just have to enjoy and cherish this last magical run the big 3 are on. LETS GET #5!!

TXstbobcat
05-26-2013, 10:02 AM
No way. After last night. I still think he has a few years left.

Sec24Row7
05-26-2013, 10:32 AM
Timmy would be leaving 20 mil on the table... which is a lot of money... especially considering it would be 100% post Amy.

capek
05-26-2013, 10:35 AM
No way. Not even in the realm of possibility imo. I don't think Timmy views himself as done, I think he still wants to play, and knows he can considering what a great season he's having. He'll be back for sure imo

Budkin
05-26-2013, 10:44 AM
Hoping he plays 2 more years. Please Timmy!

Whisky Dog
05-26-2013, 10:45 AM
Timmy would be leaving 20 mil on the table... which is a lot of money... especially considering it would be 100% post Amy.

I think this would be a big consideration for him especially if the divorce proceedings don't go easily and it gets costly. He might want an extra 15 mil or whatever he gets after taxes and fees to put away.

Also, unless he has immediate plans on what to do with his time he may not want to leave yet if he feels he can still play at this high of a level. He won't have the wife to come home to and more than likely it would be a joint custody type thing unless she's been abusive or evidence of an unfit parent, so if there aren't solid business plans to move on to he might not leave.

Finally, depends also on how important all time records are to him. He's really close to #1 or #2 on a lot of lists and he might want to keep going for legacy reasons. No one but him knows if that holds an importance in his mind. With the way he plays regular seasons with low minutes and lots of rest he might feel fine with going for more.

MaNu4Tres
05-26-2013, 10:48 AM
Even if he wins a title this year, he's too competitive and loves the game too much. He'll want a chance to repeat.

If his skills have deteriorated then I'd probably change my opinion, but that's not even close to the case as the man just received All-NBA 1st team honors.

He at least has one more year left. ( I think he plays til he's 40, tbh.)

Sec24Row7
05-26-2013, 10:51 AM
I think this would be a big consideration for him especially if the divorce proceedings don't go easily and it gets costly. He might want an extra 15 mil or whatever he gets after taxes and fees to put away.

Also, unless he has immediate plans on what to do with his time he may not want to leave yet if he feels he can still play at this high of a level. He won't have the wife to come home to and more than likely it would be a joint custody type thing unless she's been abusive or evidence of an unfit parent, so if there aren't solid business plans to move on to he might not leave.

Finally, depends also on how important all time records are to him. He's really close to #1 or #2 on a lot of lists and he might want to keep going for legacy reasons. No one but him knows if that holds an importance in his mind. With the way he plays regular seasons with low minutes and lots of rest he might feel fine with going for more.

12 mil after taxes.

letmk
05-26-2013, 10:52 AM
Even if, big if, the Spurs can win it all, whether Timmy will retire still depends on his view of basketball. If he is like Pete Sampras who wants to achieve success through the sport, he would call it a day; if he is like Roger Federer who simply loves the sport, he would keep playing as long as he can maintain certain level.

Richie
05-26-2013, 10:57 AM
I know it's like a fairytale to win it all and then retire ala Robinson, but the reality was that Robinson was done and hadn't made an all star or all NBA team in 2 years.

I think it'd be disappointing if Timmy retired off the back of an All Star and All NBA 1st team season.

Whisky Dog
05-26-2013, 11:01 AM
I know it's like a fairytale to win it all and then retire ala Robinson, but the reality was that Robinson was done and hadn't made an all star or all NBA team in 2 years.

I think it'd be disappointing if Timmy retired off the back of an All Star and All NBA 1st team season.

DRob's back was shot to hell in 2003 and it wasn't going to get any better. He was a role player on that team after being one of the greatest centers of all time.

Timmy's had knee issues but not sure how much it's bothering him

admiralfats
05-26-2013, 11:02 AM
"Going out on top" doesn't necessarily mean winning the championship and immediately retiring. i think tony probably means win one more in the twilight. if we won this year, I don't think tim would retire, it would just be one final ride for the big 3. then they go out and try to do it again next year. Tim's not done.

Russ
05-26-2013, 11:03 AM
The elephant in the room that hasn't been mentioned as much -- money.

Duncan knows he can play 2-4 more years and make a lot of it.

And given his new personal situation, he may need it.

The rest of it cuts both ways. I get the impression that Duncan is taking refuge in basketball right now --it's a release from all the rest -- and that pure focus shows in his play. On the other hand, if he has the kids, basketball will take time away from them.

I always thought that Duncan could be like Jabbar -- effective at an advanced age because he depended upon length, footwork, finesse and smarts rather than athleticism. Then I thought I was wrong when TD declined at an earlier age than my theory predicted.

Now, I'm back to the original Jabbar model. I think TD plays till the wheels fall off.

Canibspur
05-26-2013, 11:05 AM
There's always that dream of the back to back to fulfill.

And maybe retiring and going home to a divorce after a long failed marriage isn't the best medicine for Timmy.

I could see him playing next year to heal.

Imagine him next year when all this drama is passing... we might see him exuberant and carefree. And being with a team that loves him.

I dig it.

Bill_Brasky
05-26-2013, 11:05 AM
Only thing better than going out on top would be going out on top repeat style.

I'd gladly take either one and would just be glad to say i saw 21 play.

bklynspursfan
05-26-2013, 11:17 AM
He's still better than the majority of these bigs in the game.... I say keep playing until you can't play at this level anymore.

davidbowie
05-26-2013, 11:19 AM
I've longed believed that if we were to win another one he would retire. That's based on nothing tho. Selfishly I hope not. I'd like to go to more games to see him. :-)

HemisfairArena
05-26-2013, 11:59 AM
no way Timmy retires if he wins his 5th ring. This team is young and only gonna get better with Splitter and Kawhi developing even more. Timmy will have a chance to tie Jordan with 6 rings and has a team around him that can do it. If we were old like the Mavs were when they won their ring then maybe but this team is young.

YoMamaIsCallin
05-26-2013, 12:31 PM
No. There is no way this is happening.

Spur Bank
05-26-2013, 12:47 PM
Strongly agree with the Nos. I think he loves the team and basketball experience too much, and would relish the opportunity to defend a title and go for a 6th ring. The money is also a factor, but it's just icing on the cake.

JRHernandez88
05-26-2013, 12:48 PM
If we ring this year it would be badass just to defend his title one last time then hang em up. Have his going away season as the reigning champ. That would be sick.

Bruno
05-26-2013, 12:51 PM
He can do whatever he wants but, even if Spurs win it all, I highly doubt he will retire.

Duncan2177
05-26-2013, 12:54 PM
I think Duncan will retire if the spurs win it all.

Spurs and Mavs fan
05-26-2013, 12:54 PM
I'd like to see the Spurs put together back-to-back Finals championship wins for the first time in franchise history. I hope Duncan returns next season if the Spurs win it all this year.

dunkman
05-26-2013, 12:58 PM
Timmy is a first team all-NBA, all-defensive and all-star. The Admiral's last season was single digits.

BackHome
05-26-2013, 01:00 PM
The elephant in the room that hasn't been mentioned as much -- money.

Duncan knows he can play 2-4 more years and make a lot of it.

And given his new personal situation, he may need it.

The rest of it cuts both ways. I get the impression that Duncan is taking refuge in basketball right now --it's a release from all the rest -- and that pure focus shows in his play. On the other hand, if he has the kids, basketball will take time away from them.

I always thought that Duncan could be like Jabbar -- effective at an advanced age because he depended upon length, footwork, finesse and smarts rather than athleticism. Then I thought I was wrong when TD declined at an earlier age than my theory predicted.

Now, I'm back to the original Jabbar model. I think TD plays till the wheels fall off.

Spot on! Going through the divorce can be like going to hell and back and you don't want to take that journey by yourself. He needs his support staff which are his Spurs brothers.

BG_Spurs_Fan
05-26-2013, 01:03 PM
First team all NBA players don't retire unless there's some devastating injury.

TheSullyMonster
05-26-2013, 01:05 PM
It's a very rare thing for dads to get full custody to start with. Unless Amy is doing lines off other men's penises in front of the kids, she'll probably get custody. Especially since she can legit play the 'He's never home because of work' card.

It's not as if him traveling is anything new.

Besides...he can afford a nanny. Or to relocate family. Not a big deal.

I don't think he'll retire. Divorce is tough to go through, you don't want to do it alone.

szkorhetz
05-26-2013, 01:13 PM
I want him to retire if we win it all, together with Manu.
Than we would have cap space for one of the following players: Howard, Josh Smith, Jefferson, Millsap, or getting a big with our huge money (Horford, Lee, Bogut depending where Dwight will end up) and sign a good perimeter player: Igou, Evans while still re-sing Splitter.
I would still love to live the Tim Duncan-era, but this summer could just be too gold for rebuilding.

DMC
05-26-2013, 01:29 PM
Tim will not give up 10m to sit at home with his kids. You can get some decent nanny service when you make 10m a year. Tim won't get primary custody, the mother always gets that unless she's shown to be unfit. She's a stay at home mom (when she's not cheating) and the relationship between her and Timmy has nothing to do with how fit she is to be a mother. The judge won't even consider it without some serious implications of her being unfit to raise kids.

Everyone needs to quit retiring Tim before Tim is ready to retire himself.

PingPong
05-26-2013, 01:38 PM
When he started his tuning shop, probably was thinking about retire. But if the spurs win this season, they will come even stronger in 2013-2014, with the entire rooster self-confident, Baynes more acquaintained to the system, the team slimmed to his best (Blair, Neal, De Colo out?). I think Timmy willl try one more ring.

dbreiden83080
05-26-2013, 01:51 PM
Depends on if they go all the way and whatever role his coming divorce will play into his life..

Spursfanfromafar
05-26-2013, 03:32 PM
Duncan will definitely be back next season. No way he retires. It will remain to be seen what would happen after next season though. On level of play alone, Duncan can surely play a couple more years from now and maybe if needed become a backup if he wanted to, later on.

timvp
05-26-2013, 03:47 PM
No comment........................................... ............................

Libri
05-26-2013, 03:50 PM
I don't think Tim will retire, even if the Spurs win a championship.

slick'81
05-26-2013, 03:59 PM
I feel if the spurs were to win a 5th trophy manu aNd timmy should both go out on top..fck all these games and bs go out on top like Robinson

Kidd K
05-26-2013, 04:02 PM
I hope not, even if he gets another ring this season. Maybe I'm being greedy, but I hope he plays another 2-3 years because he will climb so many career stats lists if he does and be way up there in most categories. Not to mention the team's still good and should still contend for another couple years.

Yeah, we'll get worse with age, but still will contend and have a chance, even if that chance drops as time goes on. After all, I think most of us thought 2 years ago was our last good chance. . .then we thought that last year, now this year look where we are. You never know. :)

AFBlue
05-26-2013, 07:52 PM
No comment........................................... ............................

Checking in on this thread to register that response?

:stirpot:

KL2
05-27-2013, 03:59 AM
I wouldn't be surprised to see him play another 3 years when he's 40. If anything the divorce would make him want to play even longer, basketball is therapeutic for him, dude gets to play his favorite sport with his close friends that he's known for years.

He's also playing at a high level, and even when he does decline he'll still be one of the best bigs in the entire NBA.

tuncaboylu
05-27-2013, 11:32 AM
He loves basketball and more importantly he loves to play basketball.

I don't see him retiring in following 3 years. He'll be here till 2015(end of contract). I'm note sure that he can play a few more seasons after then.

Fabbs
05-27-2013, 11:41 AM
She's a stay at home mom (when she's not cheating)
Numerous snippets on ST about her cheating.
Is this strictly hearsay or did she cop to it?

BillMc
05-27-2013, 11:42 AM
This is all speculation, of course, but somehow I think its more likely that Manu will retire if we win it all.

Fabbs
05-27-2013, 11:42 AM
I'm good with whatever Duncs decides.
My main criteria is that he includes at least one more 'Ship. Most preferably this year.
A 5th legit Championship blows away his contemporaries even further.

Legacy
05-27-2013, 12:08 PM
Tim has always said "...Till the wheels fall off."

I think I'll stick to his statement until he specifies otherwise.

maverick1948
05-27-2013, 01:23 PM
Tim may not retire this season. But if Manu gets his 4th ring, he may just go out on top. Manu has had so many injuries in the last 3 yrs. They have taken a toll on his body. He no longer is the player of 2007. He has dropped off a lot more than Timmy. I would feel comfortable if Duncan retires or both he and Manu go. I would be more comfortable if Manu retired. He has 2 kids that he would love to be with and he can coach the Argentine national team.

50 cent
05-27-2013, 02:42 PM
I think the divorce makes it all the more likely he comes back for another year or 2. He's gonna get to live the bachelor life and doesn't have a family pressuring him to be at home more.

007nites
05-27-2013, 02:46 PM
If he retires now when he still one of the best in the league there will be that "what if question". What if he played for 2 more seasons? Could he get to 5,6,7 rings?

exstatic
05-27-2013, 02:57 PM
The amazing thing is that he's never led the NBA in any of the classic big man stats for a year: scoring, rebounding, blocks or FG%.

007nites
05-27-2013, 03:01 PM
The amazing thing is that he's never led the NBA in any of the classic big man stats for a year: scoring, rebounding, blocks or FG%.

I'd rather be a top 10 in all of those categories for 10 years straight rather then leading a category for 1-2 years and for the other 8 years being a top 30 or something.

exstatic
05-27-2013, 04:17 PM
I'd rather be a top 10 in all of those categories for 10 years straight rather then leading a category for 1-2 years and for the other 8 years being a top 30 or something.

Oh, definitely, but DRob was top ten for many years and still managed to lead the league once each in scoring, rebounding and blocks.

Advanced stats love Tim, though. Through his peak seasons, he had a spattering of league leading in WSs DWSs and one OWS as well as four years leading the league in defensive rating.

Tim_duncan21
05-27-2013, 07:32 PM
@topic
I hope not. He can still play for 2-3 years.