PDA

View Full Version : Interesting read

barakz21
05-26-2013, 10:43 AM
Pretty good theory on why the Spurs have haters:

There is something annoying about this, I have to admit. It's nothing against the Spurs, who are great. There is nothing inherently unlikable about the Spurs. They're great players who play for a great coach and are managed by a great organization. They basically never screw up, and that's what's annoying. They're like that kid you went to school with that got all As, was president of the student body, played shortstop on the baseball team and dated the prettiest girl. There is nothing unlikable about them, and that's what makes you not like them

Rest of the article here:
http://www.foxsportssouthwest.com/nba/san-antonio-spurs/story/Grizzlies-looking-out-of-the-Spurs-leagu?blockID=905569&feedID=3742

Obstructed_View
05-26-2013, 10:46 AM
Wow, the Spurs never screw up. People really don't watch the Spurs in the postseason, do they?

rasho8
05-26-2013, 11:08 AM
Wow, the Spurs never screw up. People really don't watch the Spurs in the postseason, do they?

Yeah we traded for RJ. That as a definite screw up.

Whisky Dog
05-26-2013, 11:13 AM
Jordan was dominating the league far more than the Spurs yethe wasn't hated like this for one simple reason: HYPE

People don't want to admit they're basically mindless sheep who can be guided by what they are told to believe, but they most certainly are just that. It's why advertising works so well and why people don't like the Spurs as a casual fan. The NBA tells them to not like the Spurs and to like LeBron, Kobe, Durant, Wade, Griffin, etc. That is the NBA's marketing strategy and people just eat it up and believe what they are being told to believe. They just don't want to admit that.

pgardn
05-26-2013, 11:24 AM
The perception that we don't screw up because of a wonderful run first with Gervin, then Robinson and now Tim.

Looking at the traditional powerhouses like LA, and the situation with Howard, Nash, and D Ant, we look really good. Also the fact that Tim making sacrifices yielding a salary 1/3 that of Kobe... We look good, very good. OKC keeps Ibaka over Harden?

Boston, NY... Who ya wanna be a fan of right now?

Thats right NBA TMZ dunk fans, it's Miami.

Either that or you hate them like Laker fan or NY, because Lebron has coasted past Kobe. Or you actually believed in Carmello.

pgardn
05-26-2013, 11:30 AM
Jordan was dominating the league far more than the Spurs yethe wasn't hated like this for one simple reason: HYPE

People don't want to admit they're basically mindless sheep who can be guided by what they are told to believe, but they most certainly are just that. It's why advertising works so well and why people don't like the Spurs as a casual fan. The NBA tells them to not like the Spurs and to like LeBron, Kobe, Durant, Wade, Griffin, etc. That is the NBA's marketing strategy and people just eat it up and believe what they are being told to believe. They just don't want to admit that.
Imagine Duncan, Parker, and Ginobili in NYC... The NBA could have been off the charts popular.

letmk
05-26-2013, 11:34 AM
It's all about market. If the Spurs are playing in NY, they would say that "although NYC is the center of the world with Wall street and Broadway, etc, but the hard-working spirit of Tim Duncan and his companies are what makes NYC the best city of the world."

letmk
Imagine Duncan, Parker, and Ginobili in NYC... The NBA could have been off the charts popular.

Hand.

Obstructed_View

People are more interested in John McEnroe than in Pete Sampras. In a world where people like reality television which is clearly not realistic, Spurs fans should be happy their team isn't more popular.

naico
05-26-2013, 11:47 AM
People like exciting star players. Guys who score one on one. Flashy dunks, spectacular blocks etc. So does the media. San Antonio isn't about individual talent, it's about a system in which players all play their role. Although effective, a system to the big audience is 'boring'. People look up to names, players, not to teams.

tesseractive
05-26-2013, 11:52 AM

As far as the rest of the world is concerned, the Spurs get as far as their roster will take them and don't beat themselves. Duncan never refused to shoot down the stretch of a playoff game because he was upset at his team. None of our stars ever just go freelance and refuse to pass the ball for a while. And how many games get a postmortem like "well, the story of this second half is missed defensive rotations by the Spurs?" Not many.

No team will ever make zero mistakes, but the Spurs have a really, really good average over a long period of time compared with the rest of the league.

SupremeGuy
05-26-2013, 12:05 PM
Media narrative, plain and simple. They're able to convince idiots into believing whatever they want the idiots to believe; ie, faggot marriage is good, muslims aren't primitive dirty sand fucks, obama is great, etc.

skulls138
05-26-2013, 12:16 PM
The Spurs show that its merely a game of putting a round ball through a round hoop, not pretending they are Braveheart, saving the world from nuclear annihilation, everytime they score.

Whisky Dog
05-26-2013, 12:21 PM
People are more interested in John McEnroe than in Pete Sampras. In a world where people like reality television which is clearly not realistic, Spurs fans should be happy their team isn't more popular.

People like those things because that's what they're fed. It's just like Pop music and the whoe boy bands thing from before: if the record companies get the radio stations to push a song hard it will become a hit. They tell the masses what to think and what to like and the masses just say thank you and feed me more

In NBA terms Durant and even LeBron are pretty boring personalities. They don't go nuts like McEnroe and they don't cause problems. They're usually fairly quiet off the court. Durant just gave a million to tornado victim relief for god's sake - he's a nice guy. Yet the masses dig him because the NBA markets him to be loved. ESPN is all over both of them in partnership with the NBA marketing strategy. They're the NBA equivalent of Gagnam Style

YoMamaIsCallin
05-26-2013, 12:42 PM
No drama. No media whoring. Media doesn't get their handjob. Media can't whip up the average joe. Therefore media turns elsewhere.

Why don't really good shows that require attention to follow get big ratings? E.g. Southland, Men of a Certain Age, name your favorite. People would rather watch stupid crap they can follow while keeping up on Facebook, that the media plays up. Jesus Christ, you cant check out in the supermarket without seeing all the mags blaring about some reality TV "star". Same thing.

AztecSpur
05-26-2013, 01:14 PM
After reading these I feel your pain, similar to the east coast bias we feel here in San Diego, also a small market. All the reason I identify with you folks that much more, besides drafting my favorite Aztec. I visited your town and I.loved it and would take it over Miami or SmelLA anyday. We had the Conquistadors then Clippers here once upon a time, so all I can offer is to try and ignore all the undeserved hype of the bigger markets and enjoy your prize possession.

TampaDude
05-26-2013, 01:31 PM
Media narrative, plain and simple. They're able to convince idiots into believing whatever they want the idiots to believe; ie, faggot marriage is good, muslims aren't primitive dirty sand fucks, obama is great, etc.

Crawl back inside your rusty trailer and fuck your sister some more, dipshit.

SupremeGuy
05-26-2013, 01:54 PM
Crawl back inside your rusty trailer and fuck your sister some more, dipshit.No.

Marcus Bryant
05-26-2013, 02:13 PM
People claim to appreciate good basketball and winning but really crave drama and celebrity worship. This is true for every other spectator sport as well as for music, acting, etc...

barakz21
05-26-2013, 02:34 PM
I just can't help but think of TD as THE GODFATHER if the spurs played in New York. Successful, powerful, yet also very cunning. But on the topic of advertising, I just really find it strange how even advertising doesn't work for the spurs. Back in my days as a very young kid, AKA casual basketball, I was easily won over by Jordan And the Bulls simply because he was amazing, and they were amazing. So are TD and the Spurs. As a spurfan, I'm used to finding myself being ganged on by my friends who either are LA fans or root for whoever the Spurs play against. And try as I might, I just can't convert them. Funny thing though, my friends who happen to be spurfans are those who probably don't understand the complexities of the game - women.

Kidd K
05-26-2013, 05:57 PM
Damn, the dude that wrote that article was trolling hard as fuck. Hilarious though

3 Legged Dog
05-26-2013, 06:53 PM
Yessssssss, SupremeGuy to the hoop....and 1.

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

3 Legged Dog
05-26-2013, 06:56 PM
Crawl back inside your rusty trailer and fuck your sister some more, dipshit.
Yeah, but...... Come on man. His sister is really fine. How could you possibly blame him.

PS
he was right about the media

Galileo
05-26-2013, 06:59 PM
Yeah we traded for RJ. That as a definite screw up.

free agent.

Spurious
05-26-2013, 07:15 PM
Hmmm. The media think the coach is a dull curmudgeon and the franchise's amazingly consistent success is more due to the system than the players? This description basically applies not only to the Spurs but also the Patriots. Amazingly similar track records over the past decade-plus, and built/run pretty much the same way. Not even the QB/PG's hot wife and drama related thereto could make either team a pop culture phenomenon...no doubt leaving some of the media to wonder if they even should bother covering their games.

KenziE
05-26-2013, 07:28 PM
Hand.

what does HAND mean? is it like WORD? or right on?

FuzzyLumpkins
05-26-2013, 07:44 PM
The NBA doesn't control their own brand and the Spurs don't care for media marketing. Manu and Parker are social but Duncan avoids the media. Pop talks to them but treats them like shit half the time. The executives are aloof.

100%duncan
05-26-2013, 08:06 PM
Great read but Spurs screwed up alot tbh. Or Duncan would've had 6 rings by now. But that's part of life, and we getting our redemption now.

ThaBigFundamental21
05-26-2013, 08:34 PM
Luis Sco........

barakz21
05-26-2013, 08:47 PM
Hmmm. The media think the coach is a dull curmudgeon and the franchise's amazingly consistent success is more due to the system than the players? This description basically applies not only to the Spurs but also the Patriots. Amazingly similar track records over the past decade-plus, and built/run pretty much the same way. Not even the QB/PG's hot wife and drama related thereto could make either team a pop culture phenomenon...no doubt leaving some of the media to wonder if they even should bother covering their games.

I always thought I was the only who thinks the Spurs and Patriots are pretty similar. I remember, after the spurs won it all in 07, they were labeled as the NBA version of the Patriots. But back then, I never had any knowledge of American Football (this was before I moved to the U.S). Looking back, I realize they were making those similarities merely based on the success both franchises had at that point. Now that I do follow football, I realize they're even more similar that it's almost creepy.

pikkiwoki
05-27-2013, 09:57 AM
what does HAND mean? is it like WORD? or right on?

Meat.