PDA

View Full Version : Lance Armstrong is one bad Mofo

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-12-2005, 12:45 PM
Just put the hammer down today on one of the steepest climbs in Le Tour.

Good stuff. :elephant

samikeyp
07-12-2005, 12:49 PM
Way to kick ass, Lance. Nice job.

ObiwanGinobili
07-12-2005, 12:53 PM
Lance Armstrong is the GOD of all badass MoFo's.
All other mofo's must worship at his feet.

SWC Bonfire
07-12-2005, 12:55 PM
A tremendous athlete, and I'll leave it at that.

Kori Ellis
07-12-2005, 12:55 PM
I know that I'll get bashed for this, but I can't stand Lance Armstrong. He and Tiger Woods both irritate the hell out of me.

ObiwanGinobili
07-12-2005, 01:06 PM
I know that I'll get bashed for this, but I can't stand Lance Armstrong. He and Tiger Woods both irritate the hell out of me.

bad Kori. very bad. :nope

Guru of Nothing
07-12-2005, 01:09 PM

I suppose you don't like the Beatles either.

ObiwanGinobili
07-12-2005, 01:10 PM
or Apple Pie. :lol

Kori Ellis
07-12-2005, 01:16 PM
I suppose you don't like the Beatles either.

You know I hate the Beatles. And Elvis.

Useruser666
07-12-2005, 01:18 PM
Well I hate the Beatles, but Lance is ok by me. That whole Sheryl Crow marriage seems fake though.

AlamoSpursFan
07-12-2005, 01:25 PM
I agree with Kori on everything but the Tiger thing.

It is cool that an American is punking the frogs at their own game, but I just don't get the whole Tour de France thing. It's a bunch of one day races all won by different people, none of whom is the "overall leader".

Marklar MM
07-12-2005, 01:37 PM

It is cool that an American is punking the frogs at their own game, but I just don't get the whole Tour de France thing. It's a bunch of one day races all won by different people, none of whom is the "overall leader".

Yes, it is a bunch of one day races with different winners. But that is what it is suppose to be. It is to hard to do the whole course with no rest stops in between. Just the person(usually Lance) who finishes the course with the fastest time wins(add up all the individual race times)

AlamoSpursFan
07-12-2005, 01:44 PM
Or you could do it the old fashioned American way: first one to the freaking finish line wins.

:rolleyes

Jimcs50
07-12-2005, 01:53 PM

:flipoff

Spam
07-12-2005, 02:08 PM

Yeah, why don't they just play football games from start to finish?
Why have 4 quarters and a half-time? Why can a team win 3 out of the 4 quarters but still lose the game?
Just blow the whistle to start and blow it to end it.

I just don't get the whole NFL thing.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-12-2005, 02:09 PM
^^^ Who is this Spam person???

Flea
07-12-2005, 02:11 PM
Thank God, I thought I was the only one. I can't stand Lance either. I was especially irritated after he didn't retire last year.

I do like the Beatles and Elvis. :)

Kori Ellis
07-12-2005, 02:12 PM
I can't stand Lance either.

:elephant :elephant :elephant

Jimcs50
07-12-2005, 02:13 PM
^^^ Who is this Spam person???

That is classic TPark.

tlongII
07-12-2005, 02:15 PM
Lance Armstrong is an inspiration to millions of people affected by cancer across the world. His story is truly amazing.

SWC Bonfire
07-12-2005, 02:28 PM

There are legitimate reasons to dislike Tiger Woods and Lance Armstrong. No one is perfect.

On the other hand, if you can't say something nice... :lol

pache100
07-12-2005, 02:46 PM
bad Kori. very bad. :nope

I don't like Lance much, either. I respect the hell out of him, though.

I do, however, LOVE Tiger.

Jimcs50
07-12-2005, 02:49 PM
Kori, I do not know how anyone can possibly not like Lance. Here is just one example of exactly how much he has meant to millions of people who either survived cancer or who are currently fighting the horrible disease.

Armstrong an inspiration for cancer survivors here
Saturday, October 09, 2004

By Steve Twedt, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

More than 90 minutes before Lance Armstrong led five yellow-jerseyed bicyclists from Downtown to PNC Park for the Tour of Hope cancer awareness rally yesterday, Angela Filotei of Forest Hills was at her post at the south end of the Roberto Clemente Bridge.

With the Armstrong-inspired yellow "Live Strong" bracelet on her wrist, Filotei, 29, said she took off work early "to hopefully catch a glimpse" of the six-time Tour de France champion.

A few years ago, Filotei said, her roommate Marsha Martin was diagnosed with ovarian cancer at age 25. The diagnosis was shattering, but as they searched for information about cancer, they came across Armstrong's book, "It's Not About the Bike," which chronicles his own diagnosis, treatment and recovery from testicular cancer.

"It was so full of hope," Filotei said. "It became like a mantra for us. Reading about him and how well he did really helped her." Her roommate, she said, has been cancer free for four years.

About 2,000 other people, many with stories like Filotei's, came to PNC Park yesterday afternoon to greet Armstrong and the team of bikers crossing the country to publicize the importance of clinical trials in finding effective cancer treatments. The Tour of Hope, which concludes this morning in Washington, D.C., is sponsored by the New York-based pharmaceutical company Bristol-Myers Squibb.

Armstrong, presented with a key to the city from Mayor Tom Murphy, plus Pirates and Steelers jerseys from team owners Kevin McClatchy and Art Rooney, said that he made a lifetime commitment to raising awareness about cancer after his own physician talked to him about "the obligation of the cured."

"I liked the sound of that because it had the word 'cured' in it."

The tour involves 20 bicycle riders, most of them cancer survivors and all with some connection to the disease, who are riding relay-style from Los Angeles to Washington in eight days to encourage public support for cancer research. Armstrong has joined the group at selected cities, leading them on a ride down the Las Vegas strip at one point.

Tour organizers point out that less than 5 percent of adult cancer patients enroll in clinical studies to test new cancer-fighting drugs, compared with more than 60 percent of children with cancer.

Dr. Ronald Herberman, director of the University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute and the UPMC Cancer Centers, said adult participation jumps to 50 percent when physicians ask patients if they're interested. He said efforts are also under way to relax or simplify eligibility criteria so more people who want to can enroll in clinical studies.

Armstrong credits those who agreed to experimental studies years before him with allowing researchers to find new and better treatments that saved his life.

And then, Armstrong said, "I used my experience as an athlete to fight cancer, to use the team approach, to use desire and motivation as if it was a sporting event."

Go read his biography and see if you do not change your mind about him. My mom loved him and was inspired by him as well while she was fighting her own cancer battle which she happened to lose in 00. My mom loved all sports just as I do, so she she was really the one that introduced me to his story in 99 when his battle story was just beginning to unfold.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-12-2005, 02:51 PM
Every time I feel my balls I think of Lance.

Spurminator
07-12-2005, 02:52 PM
:lmao

Kori Ellis
07-12-2005, 02:53 PM
I know his whole story and I know that he has helped a lot of people. And believe me, I've lost enough close relatives to cancer to be near to his cause/story. But it doesn't mean that I have to like him. In life, some people (or their public personna) can irritate you. They might be good people in many aspects of their lives, and they might be horrible people in other aspects. But it doesn't mean that everyone has to love them.

MaNuMaNiAc
07-12-2005, 02:53 PM
LOL same here! I mean Lance is one of the greatest athletes out there, but he irritates the crap out me too!

SWC Bonfire
07-12-2005, 02:54 PM
Sorry about your Mother there Jimbo. She sounds like a nice lady. My old man was lucky, he got over bladder cancer in 2003.

The positives of Lance's story are what should be remembered about him.

MannyIsGod
07-12-2005, 02:54 PM
:lol

I love Lance.

Oh, and I'm so sick of people bagging on sports that are "unamerican". ASF, the next time you're able to run 90 minutes back and forth on a soccer field or bike thousands of miles in mountains without a break let me know. The reason they can't do it all at once is because IT'S REALLY FUCKING LONG.

Don't be as dense as those damn corn chips you deliver.

SWC Bonfire
07-12-2005, 02:58 PM
...the next time you're able to run 90 minutes back and forth on a soccer field...

A real man can do it for 80 minutes and push a scrum... :lol

1Parker1
07-12-2005, 03:09 PM
I know his whole story and I know that he has helped a lot of people. And believe me, I've lost enough close relatives to cancer to be near to his cause/story. But it doesn't mean that I have to like him. In life, some people (or their public personna) can irritate you. They might be good people in many aspects of their lives, and they might be horrible people in other aspects. But it doesn't mean that everyone has to love them.

***Cough***Eva Longaria***Cough

Summers
07-12-2005, 03:52 PM
I've heard from people that have met him that, and I quote, "his ego can fill the entire room". :lol He does sort of strike me as an arrogant ass... but perhaps you'd have to be to win the Tour de France 6 (7?) times. However, I admire him a great deal as an athlete and find his personal story very inspiring.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-12-2005, 06:41 PM
I just don't get the whole Tour de France thing. It's a bunch of one day races all won by different people, none of whom is the "overall leader".

You're right, you don't get it. It's the greatest test of human endurance in sports on this planet. The only thing that even comes close to it is the Ironman Hawaiian Triathlon.

You don't get why they can't do it all at once? It's TWO THOUSAND miles, dumbass.

It's funny, I hear this whole "conceded" talk, but I've met the guy twice - once back when he was an amateur rider (some friends of mine used to ride and I actually raced in a race at Ft. Sam where Lance rode and won), and again after his second tour victory (a bud worked for his charity foundation and I tagged along at one of their events and met him there too), and he didn't come across as arrogant.

He does come across as someone who knows he's good at what he does if you want to talk cycling or sports, but just as a casual guy he's pretty cool to talk to.

Jim Rome
07-12-2005, 06:54 PM
Let Kobe Train For 6 Months, And He'd Take It To Lancey Pants In The Next Tour De France.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-12-2005, 06:57 PM
Let Kobe Train For 6 Months, And He'd Take It To Lancey Pants In The Next Tour De France.

:lol The guy couldn't even last 20 minutes with a hotel receptionist, and you think he'll be able to make it 2000+ miles?

timvp
07-12-2005, 07:33 PM
I usually root for Lance to win.

That said, bike riding or whatever you want to call it isn't really a super competitive sport. How many people do you know who grow up saying they want to ride a bike through the mountains for a living? As far as sports that are trained for in the world, I'd be shocked if it was any higher than 20th.

He's good at what he does but outside of France and some other European countries, there isn't that much competition.

P.S.

I'm also not convinced that Lance is or has always been clean.

Kori Ellis
07-12-2005, 07:36 PM
It's funny, I hear this whole "conceded" talk, but I've met the guy twice - once back when he was an amateur rider (some friends of mine used to ride and I actually raced in a race at Ft. Sam where Lance rode and won), and again after his second tour victory (a bud worked for his charity foundation and I tagged along at one of their events and met him there too), and he didn't come across as arrogant.

That's not surprising. He has a rep of being an arrogant cocky asshole to women. Since you aren't one, then I'm sure he was cool.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-12-2005, 07:51 PM
Good point. Although if my wife was cheating on me while I was off halfway around the world winning something like the Tour de France (and giving her a nice big bank account to play with), I'd probably be pretty jaded towards women as well.

Kori Ellis
07-12-2005, 07:55 PM
Although if my wife was cheating on me while I was off halfway around the world winning something like the Tour de France (and giving her a nice big bank account to play with), I'd probably be pretty jaded towards women as well.

Nice spin. Most accounts are that he cheated on her throughout the marriage.

Dr.Phil
07-12-2005, 08:00 PM
When a person who has accomplished what Lance Armstrong has done it is not unusual for them to feel at awe of themselves. Lance is in a class by himself and thus none of us can possibly know what if feels like to be "Lance Armstrong" and as much as some of us don't like to admit it or give him his credit,
6 straight Tour de France victories is an amazing feat.

However all of us will get the "I simply don't like him/her" feeling from time to time and that is perfectly normal. But there is a reason why we get that feeling and we must ask ourselves, "Selves, why does this person make me want to up-chuck everytime I see them?"

Look inside and listen to the little man or woman inside you for the answer.

whottt
07-12-2005, 08:06 PM
I wonder if AggieHoopsFan would like Lance as much if he knew Lance was a Democrat(more or less), and is against the Iraq war.

He also doesn't care about basketball...

Lance is a grade A asshole...and I think that's what I like about him...I probably wouldn't like him personally...but I like the fact that he doesn't put up a front and isn't afraid to be an Ahole...

What I like most about him...

1.He beat cancer...he beat the crap out of it...and that should be an inspiration to every single person on this planet...forget the bike riding...

Whether you like the guy or not...he is a legitimate symbol of hope...one of the greatest ever.

2. He's dominating the Tour de France at the best possible time ;)

I think it's a cyclist thing, most of them are aholes. Greg LeMonde is an ashole too...they are a primadonnaish group.

I disagree vehemently with TimVP and others on how challenging cycling and especially that race is...It's brutal and torturous...

It's like a 3 week triathalon....

Go run a triathalon and see if you think it's easy compared to other sports...me? I'll take basketball any day of the week.

Kori Ellis
07-12-2005, 08:09 PM
I disagree vehemently with TimVP and others on how challenging cycling and especially that race is...It's brutal and torturous...

Go run a triathalon and see if you think it's easy compared to other sports...me? I'll take basketball any day of the week.

timvp didn't say it wasn't physically challenging. He said it wasn't competitive -- meaning not a lot of people participate in it -- not a lot of competition.

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2005, 08:13 PM
I'd be more interested in Armstrong's accomplishments if I took the time to understand the rules of the competition.

JoePublic
07-12-2005, 08:29 PM
Lance tore them up today and that is why he is so freakin' awesome.

whottt
07-12-2005, 08:45 PM
timvp didn't say it wasn't physically challenging. He said it wasn't competitive -- meaning not a lot of people participate in it -- not a lot of competition.

There are 200 people in the race...how is that limited competition?

People die in that race several times a decade, racers break their collar bones, the arms, legs and kneecaps on an annual basis...

Many of them eat pavement face first while wearing shorts and going 50 miles an hour on a bicycle...

I'd much rather play a game of basketball...

And on the drug thing...he probably did do them before cancer...and he probably get some kind of strength/immuno enhancing drug during treatment...but post treatment?

I don't buy it...

The drug he is most often accused of taking is EPO, that is a drug that has side effects on the order of kidney infections, blood clotting, and chest pains...

Since chemotherapy also attacks the vital organs and can cause heart failure...

I don't see Lance wanting to do that during a 3 week long torture trial...

Steroids? Didn't Lyle Azado get a form of brain cancer from steroid usage?

Didn't Lance already have brain cancer?

Isn't there scientific evidence that prolonged usage of steroids(various kinds) can cause certain forms of cancers? As well as organ damage?

Don't cancer and it's treatments often do that same type of damage?

Didn't Lance already have Cancer? and Chemotherapy?

Again...some steroids are used in the treatment of cancer...but I don't think any doctors reccoment their usage after you are cancer free...

If you had cancer in your brains, lungs and nuts...would you be doing drugs that might be linked to other forms of cancer?

I wouldn't.

Maybe his dominance is due to the fact that the pain he had to overcome in surving cancer and getting chemotherapy treatment, and facing probable death...is far greater than any pain he has to face in the sadomasochistic exercise that is the Tour De France...

Maybe it's a mental thing...and he's already been through the depths of hell...which makes the Tour de France the lighter side of hell to him, a day at the beach...

All I know is that he has been tested "randomly" about 5 or 6 times in this race already...he's never failed a drug test...he is the most tested athlete in the world...he's on record as requesting the testers to save his urine samples so they can test him at a later date using future technology...

What more can the guy do to prove he doesn't take them?

timvp
07-12-2005, 08:52 PM
There are 200 people in the race...how is that limited competition?

Come on, Whottt. You are either not as bright as I thought or you are trying to side step the point.

P.S.

I think you broke the record for most questions asked in a post. I'm not convinced that he's on something or has been on something, but retiring right now doesn't help his cause. Get out while his name is still good, perhaps?

whottt
07-12-2005, 09:18 PM
I dunno where it ranks...but I bet it's more popular than the NFL world wide, it's probably more popular than snow skiing and stuff like that...I mean everyone has a bike at some point in their lives.

I'd say it's definitely in the top 20 but I am not going to claim to be certain...

I still don't get your point totally though...

Golf is probably the 3rd or 4th most popular sport in the world...but I'd say it's probably got fewer true athletes in it's compeitions than cycling does...

I think you broke the record for most questions asked in a post. I'm not convinced that he's on something or has been on something, but retiring right now doesn't help his cause. Get out while his name is still good, perhaps?

If Lance wins the Tour de France this year he'll be the oldest champion in modern history...

The oldest man ever to win it was 36...

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-12-2005, 09:32 PM
I don't consider it spin. He initiated the divorce when he caught her cheating on him. The anti-Lance slant is that he was cheating on her, but I have enough faith in some people that were a lot closer to what happened than the media to believe otherwise.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-12-2005, 09:43 PM
I wonder if AggieHoopsFan would like Lance as much if he knew Lance was a Democrat(more or less), and is against the Iraq war.

I could care less about all that. What he's done as a cyclist is remarkable, and what he's done as a cancer survivor is even more amazing.

As for the war, there's a difference between healthy disagreement and relying on every nutjob psychofascist online source you can find to do your thinking for you (NBADan).

Clandestino
07-12-2005, 10:35 PM
lance is one bad dude! not even when he was 80% could anyone beat him.

and he is the most tested athlete of any sport. he is clean. he attributes it to cancer. he says when it hurts, the remembers the cancer/treatments/etc and nothing on the bike could compare to that... so when other riders feel the pain and slow down, lance keeps on...

AlamoSpursFan
07-12-2005, 11:27 PM
Oh, and I'm so sick of people bagging on sports that are "unamerican". ASF, the next time you're able to run 90 minutes back and forth on a soccer field or bike thousands of miles in mountains without a break let me know. The reason they can't do it all at once is because IT'S REALLY FUCKING LONG.

Don't be as dense as those damn corn chips you deliver.

Ooooooooohhhhhh. It's really fucking long. Then don't fucking do it.

I'm sick of all the "it's the most popular sport in the world...why don't you like it?" horseshit. And the idiot who compared a stupid ass bike race in France to an NFL game isn't even worth a response.

And so what if Lance beat cancer. So did my mother-in-law. Big freaking deal.

http://www.warpreality.com/forum/smile/icon_smile_topic_sucks.gif

Clandestino
07-12-2005, 11:31 PM

I'm sick of all the "it's the most popular sport in the world...why don't you like it?" horseshit. And the idiot who compared a stupid ass bike race in France to an NFL game isn't even worth a response.

how many of anything, did she win? how much money has she raised for cancer? etc..

great for her though.. my mom beat it too...

mookie2001
07-12-2005, 11:36 PM
i like lance
i think hes top 3 greatest american athletes of all time
i think women (in general) dont like him bc he left his wife for sheryl crow when his wife "stood by" him
but then again im not a woman

MannyIsGod
07-12-2005, 11:38 PM

I don't think anyone doing it is complaining that it's too long, you were the idiot wondering why they stopped on a daily basis. I'm betting you're ass wouldn't DRIVE 2k miles much less bike them without stopping.

I understand that to you wrestling with April or chasing down keychains are sports, but just because you don't like watching something doesn't make it any less of an amazing accomplishment.

AlamoSpursFan
07-13-2005, 12:08 AM
I don't think anyone doing it is complaining that it's too long, you were the idiot wondering why they stopped on a daily basis. I'm betting you're ass wouldn't DRIVE 2k miles much less bike them without stopping.

I understand that to you wrestling with April or chasing down keychains are sports, but just because you don't like watching something doesn't make it any less of an amazing accomplishment.

When did I ask why they stopped on a daily basis? I really don't care what the hell they do. I'm not impressed. I couldn't give 2 shits about what anybody does in FUCKING FRANCE.

My only confusion was that it is a bunch of different races all with different winners and a different FUCKING leader. And bringing that April shit up AGAIN is pretty goddamn low.

timvp
07-13-2005, 12:11 AM
Yeah, that was a low blow. Manny backing a bike rider is pretty ironic.

:)

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-13-2005, 12:33 AM
I'm sick of all the "it's the most popular sport in the world...why don't you like it?" horseshit.

Screw that, just appreciate what kind of physical stamina it takes to complete something like that.

And the idiot who compared a stupid ass bike race in France to an NFL game isn't even worth a response.

You're right - NFL players call it a season when they sprain a toenail or tweak a knee.

Meanwhile, you've got guys continuing on the bike race with their arm in a sling after they broke their collarbone when they crashed going 50 mph down a hill.

Or guys continuing a race after crashing into the back of their team vehicle when it had to brake suddenly.

More guys have died due to downhill crashes in the Tour de France than have died in the combined sports of the NBA, NFL, and MLB (on or off the field/court).

So yeah, you're right - it is a pretty fucking weak comparison.

AlamoSpursFan
07-13-2005, 12:38 AM
Dude, you have the word Aggie in your name. Do you honestly think I give a shit about your opinion?

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-13-2005, 12:42 AM
Dude, you're trying to come back with a knock on me being an Aggie, do you actually think I give a shit about the first grade insults?

timvp
07-13-2005, 12:42 AM
More guys have died due to downhill crashes in the Tour de France than have died in the combined sports of the NBA, NFL, and MLB (on or off the field/court).

Yeah, right. :lol

A quick google search indicated that there have been three total deaths in the 100 years of this bike riding thing. One of those was because the guy was on so much juice he had a heart attack. The other two happened in 1995 and 1935.

Nice try.

AlamoSpursFan
07-13-2005, 12:45 AM
Dude, you're trying to come back with a knock on me being an Aggie, do you actually think I give a shit about the first grade insults?

You don't get why they can't do it all at once? It's TWO THOUSAND miles, dumbass.

Oh, ok.

:rolleyes

timvp
07-13-2005, 12:47 AM
Again, my beef with this sport is lack of global competition. How many people have you met who want to ride a bike for a living? How many countries in the world is riding a bike a top ten sport? I'm not saying it isn't difficult ... I'm saying that there aren't many people out there who strive to be bike riders.

Seven in a row or whatever is impressive for Lance Armstrong, but I'd be more impressed with accomplishments in sports even like ping pong, golf, cricket, handball, etc where there's more people striving to be the best.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-13-2005, 12:53 AM
Ah good point LJ, there was actually five deaths but only three were riders (a camera crew crashed into a ravine way back in the day and were killed).

AlamoSpursFan
07-13-2005, 12:58 AM
So I should be impressed with a confusing ass bike race through France because people DIE while doing it?

Makes perfect sense to me...

http://www.warpreality.com/forum/smile/icon_smile_givefck.gif

MannyIsGod
07-13-2005, 01:15 AM
I'm not saying you have to like it. I'm saying it's idiocy to not acknowledge that it takes hardcore athletic ability to do what they do. I understand it's not your thing. You've made that pretty damn clear.

I don't understand what is confusing about the stages. Think about them as laps of a damn NASCAR race if it makes it easy for you. There are different leaders on different laps of any race.

And yeah, after taking on some big ass hills on a bike, I have a newfound respect for doing that shit going up mountains. But I also think it's fun as all hell. I've done 30+ miles in the Hill Country, and it's awesome.

T Park
07-13-2005, 01:21 AM
Lance Armstrong is probobly one of the top 5 athletes of all time, EASILY.

BTW, didnt Lance campaign and show up at a Bush Rally???

Thought I saw that, after his tour win I thought he did that.

AlamoSpursFan
07-13-2005, 01:22 AM
I also never doubted their athletic ability. Why did one post about my a) not caring about the race and b) not understanding the format turn into my not respecting bike racers athletic ability and my not being able to run around a soccer field for 90 minutes?

And the NASCAR analogy still doesn't fit, because regardless who leads the race during the race it still comes down to who's in first when the checkered flag drops.

Today, Lance Armstrong wasn't in the overall lead when the leg started, he finished second, and now he's the overall leader. I'm cornfused.

timvp
07-13-2005, 01:25 AM

T Park
07-13-2005, 01:25 AM
because its done by time.

How is that so hard to figure out.

MannyIsGod
07-13-2005, 01:26 AM
I also never doubted their athletic ability. Why did one post about my a) not caring about the race and b) not understanding the format turn into my not respecting bike racers athletic ability and my not being able to run around a soccer field for 90 minutes?

And the NASCAR analogy still doesn't fit, because regardless who leads the race during the race it still comes down to who's in first when the checkered flag drops.

Today, Lance Armstrong wasn't in the overall lead when the leg started, he finished second, and now he's the overall leader. I'm cornfused.
No shit, so the person who finish the whole race the fastest is the one in the lead right?

Guess what, the person that finishes the entire Tour De France with the fastest time is the winner.

How hard is that to understand? It's a race, not calculus.

MannyIsGod
07-13-2005, 01:27 AM
because its done by time.

How is that so hard to figure out.
:lmao x a million.

ASF just got owned by Tpark.

AlamoSpursFan
07-13-2005, 01:32 AM
I don't even know why I've wasted so much time arguing it this far.

If they want to have the race on seperate days, fine. I'm just saying I'd be more interested if they did it Cannonball Run style. Here's point A, here's point B. First one from point A to point B wins.

I'm a simple stupid American who likes his sports simple, his chicks fat and dumpy and his keychains free.

Y'all enjoy the sweaty Frenchies in tight pants.

I'm out.

T Park
07-13-2005, 01:32 AM
Yeah Timvp, cause trekking up a steep hill and riding a bike for 111 miles in one day, sucks.

Name me 5 athletes better.

And, if I supposedly just "owned" someone, isnt that a hint..........

AlamoSpursFan
07-13-2005, 01:33 AM
Yeah, I suck. First one to Tpark's bitchdom. I win. WOOHOO!

T Park
07-13-2005, 01:35 AM
I'm a simple stupid American who likes his sports simple, his chicks fat and dumpy and his keychains free.

So you dont like thinking in other words....

Damn...

[/QUOTE]Y'all enjoy the sweaty Frenchies in tight pants.
[QUOTE]

Fuck the french, Im enjoying Lance Armstrong kicking their ass.

They changed the course this year, so that it had less hills and mountains where he excels, and hes STILL winning.

He gets tested 3 4 5 times MORE than anyone else, and comes up clean everytime.

Its cool to label Lance is on something, but dont do it to Barry Bonds....

LIke Lance said.

"What am I on? Im on my bike, busting my ass 12 hours a day. What are you on"

Classic.

T Park
07-13-2005, 01:36 AM
First one to Tpark's bitchdom. I win. WOOHOO!

I guess so, Manny did make it from point A to Point B and beat you in each arguement, so that was SIMPLE.

AlamoSpursFan
07-13-2005, 01:39 AM
Guess so.

timvp
07-13-2005, 01:39 AM
T Park, name one country that riding a bike is a top ten sport? Globally, I'm guessing that bike riding isn't in the top 25 most popular sports.

You can't be a top five athlete ever when the sport you participate in doesn't have competition.

AlamoSpursFan
07-13-2005, 01:41 AM
You mean besides France?

Ozzy
07-13-2005, 01:45 AM
Ok, let's go clear some things...

You're right, you don't get it. It's the greatest test of human endurance in sports on this planet. The only thing that even comes close to it is the Ironman Hawaiian Triathlon.

No, it isn't. The greatest of test of human endurance is this http://www.raceacrossamerica.org/.
Cylcing from west coast to east coast of USA. But not in stages... In one piece. People only stop for like 2 or 3 hours of sleep per day ant that is it.

This year it took the winner Jure Robic (Slovenian :elephant , also won last year :elephant ) 9 days 8 hours and 48 minutes to cycle 3051.8 miles. This is the biggest endurance test on the world...

But Tour de France certainly is the biggest endurance test in which a mass of proffesional athletes participates.

Ok for your info: This year there is going to be a race called LeTour Direct... Which will have same rules as RAAM but it will be driven along the path of Tour de France...

Again, my beef with this sport is lack of global competition. How many people have you met who want to ride a bike for a living? How many countries in the world is riding a bike a top ten sport? I'm not saying it isn't difficult ... I'm saying that there aren't many people out there who strive to be bike riders.

I don't think you are being objective here... Just because something isn't the most popular sport in USA it doesn't mean the sport lacks global competition. I would say that cycling is a top 10 sport in pretty much most of European countries, with much higher position in some countries (Italy, France, Holland). (And I believe that it should be very popular even in some South American countries judging by all the Colombians that come to Tour and Giro each year).

Ok, for your info: There are 20 teams in the Pro Tour, each of those teams is employing about 15 - 20 cyclists... And only the best teams can come into the Pro tour (you could say it's something like NBA - an elite group). But there are many, many more professioanl teams. I would estimate that around 1000 people are living of driving a bike professionaly (and this goes just for road races) making decent money. I don't think many other individual sports cover that many professionals.

Ozzy
07-13-2005, 01:48 AM
And just because you Americans like to judge the popularity of things from the TV ratings, here is more info for you:

Eurosport (main TV station covering sports in Europe) is having 3-5 hours of live transmition of Tour de France and Giro di Italia each year...

Lots of national TV stations also cover Tour de France live, despite the fact that most people catch Eurosport...

timvp
07-13-2005, 01:52 AM
I haven't found one place that says that riding a bike is a top ten sport in any country. Even on a French site, it didn't rank bike riding in the top ten.

AlamoSpursFan
07-13-2005, 01:54 AM
Ok for your info: This year there is going to be a race called LeTour Direct... Which will have same rules as RAAM but it will be driven along the path of Tour de France...

Holy Captain Chaos, Batman! Maybe I'll watch!

Ozzy
07-13-2005, 01:58 AM
As for Lance, all i can say:
My hat is of to him...

He certainly does not seem like an ass giving interviews, or during the races. He is one of the most proffesional and fair cyclist that I know. (Typical example was during the end of the stage yesterday. During the climb, there was a little descent with a very sharp right corner. Lance was leading the group of 4 riders (they were leading the stage also) and he actually gave a mark with his hand that there is a sharp right corner coming... (this is usually done when the complete group of 200 riders is packed and it his hard to see the corners for some inside the group, but very unusual when the group consists of 4 people)....

As for drugs: The man has been tested probably more times than any other person on the world. And they never found nothing....

whottt
07-13-2005, 03:16 AM
Yeah, right. :lol

A quick google search indicated that there have been three total deaths in the 100 years of this bike riding thing. One of those was because the guy was on so much juice he had a heart attack. The other two happened in 1995 and 1935.

Nice try.

Trying doing a google search for deaths in cycling events...since cycling is the Sport and the Tour is just one event...

3 deaths on the Tour in @90 years...

How many deaths have occurred in the World Series in @100 years?

timvp
07-13-2005, 03:19 AM
Yeah because we all know death is the sign of a great sport.

whottt
07-13-2005, 03:21 AM

BTW, didnt Lance campaign and show up at a Bush Rally???

Thought I saw that, after his tour win I thought he did that.

He and Bush are friends(it's more like Bush is a big fan of his)...that doesn't mean they have the same politics...he doesn't like Bush's politics, he has actually told Bush that he doesn't like his politics, and is actually quite proud of the fact that he did so...He did say that Bush doesn't hold it against him and he doesn't hold Bush's politics against him...

whottt
07-13-2005, 03:26 AM
Yeah because we all know death is the sign of a great sport.

Enlighten us...tell us what makes a sport a great one.

I can say freely that this is about the last sport I would want to do professionally...because it seems like a lot of hard work and risk of health with little or no upside...IMO there's only one truly fun endurance sport and it's not for spectators(usually) and you don't get paid to do it(usually) :smokin

What that tells me is that the people that are involved in that Sport are passionate about it...and therefore that is what makes it a great sport.

IMO, the reason it's not more popular is because it is such a bitch to undertake as a career.

Saying Kobe or someone could do it if they chose to is pure BS(and I know it wasn't you that said that)...

Exhibit A: Jordan - Baseball

T Park
07-13-2005, 03:37 AM
He and Bush are friends(it's more like Bush is a big fan of his)...that doesn't mean they have the same politics...he doesn't like Bush's politics, he has actually told Bush that he doesn't like his politics, and is actually quite proud of the fact that he did so...He did say that Bush doesn't hold it against him and he doesn't hold Bush's politics against him

so he disagrees with everything he believes in, but campaigns for him.

Makes sense.

BTW, got a link to that info?

Vashner
07-13-2005, 03:37 AM
Tour De Lance ... all the way thru France...

timvp
07-13-2005, 03:52 AM
I had assumed, because he and Bush were Texans and I'd seen pictures of them laughing and joking in the Oval Office, that Armstrong was a Republican. But he says his politics are "middle to Left". He is "against mixing up State and Church, not keen on guns, pro women's right to choose". And very anti war in Iraq.

Whottt is right, T Park. Lance is a damn commie :)

P.S.

Whottt the fact that it's such a tough sport works against it being a very credible sport. How many people WANT to be a pro bike rider? That number probably pales in comparision to almost every other sport in the world.

I could be the world's best swimmer with-raw-meat-tied-onto-my-back-in-shark-infested-waters and have won ten championships in a row ... but that doesn't make me a great athlete. It'd make me good at what I do.

Without a great amount of competition, I can't label an athlete as great.

Kori Ellis
07-13-2005, 03:55 AM
Kori, have you ever done any hardcore biking? If you have, you would know it is one of the most painful and tiring things in the world.

When did I say anything about his biking? I just said that he irritates me. I didn't say anything about his accomplishments.

Kori Ellis
07-13-2005, 04:03 AM

^^ That's what I said earlier in this thread.

MaNuMaNiAc
07-13-2005, 04:14 AM
I dunno where it ranks...but I bet it's more popular than the NFL world wide, it's probably more popular than snow skiing and stuff like that...I mean everyone has a bike at some point in their lives.

I'd say it's definitely in the top 20 but I am not going to claim to be certain...

I still don't get your point totally though...

Golf is probably the 3rd or 4th most popular sport in the world...but I'd say it's probably got fewer true athletes in it's compeitions than cycling does...

If Lance wins the Tour de France this year he'll be the oldest champion in modern history...

The oldest man ever to win it was 36... I'm almost certain cycling is more popular than the NFL! The NFL is an American thing. Ask almost any european and they won't give a hoot about American Football. They have rugby instead. South America doesn't give a crap about the NFL either. So yeah, I'm sure cycling is more popular then the NFL, worldwide that is.

timvp
07-13-2005, 04:22 AM
I'm almost certain cycling is more popular than the NFL! The NFL is an American thing. Ask almost any european and they won't give a hoot about American Football. They have rugby instead. South America doesn't give a crap about the NFL either. So yeah, I'm sure cycling is more popular then the NFL, worldwide that is.

Yeah bike riding is probably more popular. But I'm saying find a country where riding a bike is a top ten most popular sport. In the US, football is a top two sport.

whottt
07-13-2005, 04:26 AM
Yeah bike riding is probably more popular. But I'm saying find a country where riding a bike is a top ten most popular sport. In the US, football is a top two sport.

Belgium

And FWIW...Lance makes 28 million a year.

MaNuMaNiAc
07-13-2005, 04:50 AM
Belgium

And FWIW...Lance makes 28 million a year.
HOLY SHIT!!! I definately did not know that! DAAAAMN!

Ozzy
07-13-2005, 05:11 AM
Here are some quotes from UCI (International cycling federation) publication about the orgainisation:
http://www.uci.ch/imgarchive/UCI_PLAQUETTE_ENGL.pdf

Throughout the world the uci represents:

the interests of:
more than 170 National Federations
5 Continental Confederations
1200 professional riders
600’000 licensed riders
millions of cycling athletes who train regularly
more than a billion users.

Sports co-ordination
administratively supports each cycling discipline vis-à-vis all partners: National Federations, Trade Teams, Race Organisers and sportsmen and women
registers almost 1200 professional road racers, from around fifty countries
registers more than 1600 international races, from all disciplines, on the UCI calendar
produces and updates the regulations of each discipline which clearly define the fundamental principles of cycling and guarantee their standardisation throughout the world
appoints and trains more than 650 international commissaires who guarantee the legality of international competition proceedings for each discipline through the application of UCI regulations.

About the top 10 sport. Here is a list, that might not prove much:

France:
http://www.france-pub.com/esport.htm
http://www.vacations-paris.com/info/sport.html

Qoute from Encarta (http://encarta.msn.com/encyclopedia_761568934_5/France.html): The most popular professional sports are soccer and bicycle racing (see Cycling).

Italy:
http://www.bugbog.co.uk/european_countries/italy_travel_guide/italy_travel_guide.html - Ok, this might not be the best source, but it says cycling is one of the most popular sports in Italy.

Lithuania:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_in_Lithuania

Australia:
http://www.yesaustralia.com/Estilo-esportesing.htm

Germany:
http://yorkshiresport.org.uk/ccpr/A2.htm

What I am trying to say is that you have a completely wrong opinion about the popularity of cycling in Europe. It is much more popular than you think and there are lots and lots of amateur bikers cycling for fun and occasionally trying their luck on amateur races... You mihgt be right about proffesionals, of course number of proffesionals is much smaller. But as I said before, there are not many more individual! sports where more people are living from their paycheques.

I know I am not going to change your opinion, but the view on cycling in Europe is certainly very different from what you imagine.

JoePublic
07-13-2005, 06:12 AM

Seven in a row or whatever is impressive for Lance Armstrong, but I'd be more impressed with accomplishments in sports even like ping pong, golf, cricket, handball, etc where there's more people striving to be the best.

The Tour de France is not for your "local" bike rider and the fact that there is limited competition is because it is so freakin' hard to do. I never knew that were that many people competing in ping pong, cricket or handball.
I can't remember the last time I saw a world championship of cricket on TV.
Being the best has nothing to do with how many are competing.
So an NBA championship doesn't mean crap since there are professional basketball teams over in Europe and other parts of the world?

whottt
07-13-2005, 06:15 AM
but retiring right now doesn't help his cause. Get out while his name is still good, perhaps?

Armstrong out to break cycling's last taboo (http://politics.yahoo.com/s/cpress/20050701/ca_pr_on_sp/cycle_tour_column)

(AP) - Every other great cyclist's career ended badly. Lance Armstrong knows that.

It's been a given in the livelihood he chose, at least until now. Cycling tests endurance like no other sport, but has this in common with them all: At some point age trumps desire, and all too often, mocks it. "The older you get the higher the risk you have," Armstrong said Thursday at a news conference in Challans, France. "I can't argue with my birth certificate."

Too much high-living levelled Jacques Anquetil at 30. Bernard Hinault was finished at 31, done in after double-crossing teammate Greg LeMond, a move that backfired. Eddy Merckx, still considered by many the greatest all-around cyclist, simply ran out of gas at 29.

Even Miguel Indurain, who surpassed that trio of five-time Tour champions by winning his all in a row, was forced to surrender at 31 - though he managed it with such stealth that rivals on every side refused for days to believe what they had seen with their own eyes.

"It was," writes author Daniel Coyle in a new book about Armstrong, "the cyclist's perfect demise: five and half years of impermeable stoicism followed by a few seconds of collapse, the sphinx crumbling into dust."

If Armstrong needs any more motivation, there it is. His rivals have seen him crack, but never break completely. He turns 34 in September, already the only six-time Tour winner and still going strong two years after all the other greats were humbled. Armstrong has defied cancer, historical precedents, rumours of drug use, and turmoil in his personal life, so that only one taboo remains: to go out on top.

That's why he's retiring...if he can win he'll be the only one of the great champions to go out a winner...he'll have 2 more wins than any of them, 2 years older than any of them...and he'll have won them all in a row.

What more does he have to gain by staying around until he fails?

He'll be the Legend that never faltered if he wins this one and retries...and he won't have quit early...he'll have quit, and won, later than any of them.

Clandestino
07-13-2005, 07:59 AM
after reading this thread i think timvp's account must've been stolen by "the troll"

Clandestino
07-13-2005, 08:18 AM
and btw, the tour de lance is a TEAM sport.. one person takes the glory, but he couldn't do it w/o his team

SWC Bonfire
07-13-2005, 08:42 AM
I don't consider it spin. He initiated the divorce when he caught her cheating on him. The anti-Lance slant is that he was cheating on her, but I have enough faith in some people that were a lot closer to what happened than the media to believe otherwise.

I was not aware of the situations of his divorce, which is why I didn't say anything bad about it. I would sincerely hope that a man would not walk out on his wife after she stuck by him through such a horrible part of his life without some serious reasons.

Clandestino
07-13-2005, 10:10 AM
divorce is part of life... it happens all the time... it is normal... with the other superstars people love you hear about them beating their wives, and all sorts of other way more terrible things than divorce...

07-13-2005, 10:55 AM
I watched the recap of Stage 10 on OLN last night. Lance is downright sadistic with they way he punished the other riders on the last climb yesterday. Most everyone else was spent and sucking wind and he hardly even looked like he'd broke a sweat.

Clandestino
07-13-2005, 10:59 AM
the best part of stage 10 was when vinokourov showed he was weaking, lance told his team to push the tempo up a notch and they left him like he was standing still.... a few minutes later he got his last teammate to give one last hard push and then they dropped almost everyone else.. then lance took over...
today's stage was even more strategic.. vino tried to take off and get a good lead.. he wasted tons of energy building a 3:30 lead up the mountains and in the end it only ended up being 1:15 which has him way back in the standings...

rasmussen is looking really tough this year.. it is going to be a tough one...

T Park
07-13-2005, 11:49 AM
I watched the recap of Stage 10 on OLN last night. Lance is downright sadistic with they way he punished the other riders on the last climb yesterday. Most everyone else was spent and sucking wind and he hardly even looked like he'd broke a sweat.

yeah but hes just riding a bike, hes not a great athlete....

tlongII
07-13-2005, 11:56 AM
timvp is missing the point when he argues that biking isn't a top 10 sport. I would argue that it definitely is among the top 5 participatory activities in the world. More people know how to ride a bike than know how to play basketball. The fact is there is a tremendous amount of competition in this area. There just isn't much american competition.

timvp
01-14-2013, 09:28 PM
I'm also not convinced that Lance is or has always been clean.

:wakeup

Reck
01-14-2013, 09:38 PM
Biggest disgrace is sports? I think so.

This guy abused the public's trust, cheated his way through seven championships, used cancer to mask his "comeback" championship run. There is no coming back from this.

He ought to give all the money he stole back imo. Or be force to do time.

CubanSucks
01-14-2013, 09:45 PM
Who gives a fuck about a sport where everyone cheats? :cry He cheated better than the rest! :cry We actually liked cycling there for a second! :cry I TRUSTED him! :cry

ChumpDumper
01-14-2013, 09:46 PM
I knew my hating was somehow justified.

GoodOdor
01-14-2013, 09:54 PM
lol druggie.

CubanMustGo
01-14-2013, 09:58 PM
Damn, where's the Oprah troll when you need it?

MaNuMaNiAc
01-14-2013, 10:13 PM
I sincerely hope America doesn't forgive this piece of shit swindler for this so called heartfelt confession he is mulling over... People can't be that fucking stupid to think Armstrong regrets anything he did. He's backed up to a wall and no way out other than to come clean. Motherfucker deserves fraud charges and to be remembered as one of the dirtiest cheaters in sports history.

vander
01-14-2013, 10:39 PM
whether or not they forgive Lance, people are at least that stupid, let's not give theme such an easy out

Bill_Brasky
01-15-2013, 12:39 AM

So much Lance gargling.

lefty
01-15-2013, 12:46 AM
Lance Armstrong is an inspiration to millions of people affected by cancer across the world. His story is truly amazing.

A tremendous athlete, and I'll leave it at that.

All other mofo's must worship at his feet.

Way to kick ass, Lance. Nice job.

Good stuff. :elephant

PWNED

baseline bum
01-15-2013, 01:09 AM
So not top 5 athlete all-time?

mrsmaalox
01-15-2013, 10:23 AM
What a colossal, twisted ego he has.

Frank Dux
01-15-2013, 11:09 AM
:lmao biggest cheater in the history of champions

CavsSuperFan
01-15-2013, 11:42 AM
Never failed a drug test…NOT EVEN ONE!
The poor guy just got tired of fighting the US government…:depressed

spurs_fan_in_exile
01-15-2013, 11:47 AM
I'll cite my lack of posting in this thread as proof that I knew better all along.

Bigzax
01-15-2013, 12:34 PM
who gives a shit it's cycling...

CubanSucks
01-15-2013, 01:51 PM
I'll cite my lack of posting in this thread as proof that I knew better all along.

or that you didn't give a shit about cycling like the rest of us

silverblk mystix
01-15-2013, 01:55 PM
What a scumbag.

Lance, that is.

CosmicCowboy
01-16-2013, 02:27 PM
I'm just glad he finally had the ball to come clean.

Drachen
01-16-2013, 02:37 PM
Iseewhatyoudidthere

ChumpDumper
01-16-2013, 06:14 PM
I'm just glad he finally had the ball to come clean.You gonna pretend that's yours?

rascal
01-16-2013, 06:17 PM
timvp is missing the point when he argues that biking isn't a top 10 sport. I would argue that it definitely is among the top 5 participatory activities in the world. More people know how to ride a bike than know how to play basketball. The fact is there is a tremendous amount of competition in this area. There just isn't much american competition.

Fishing is number 1.

hater
01-16-2013, 06:41 PM
:lmao next time americans bring up Chinese cheating in sports and/or anything for that matter

one down, next up Goofy Swimming Guy

hater
01-16-2013, 06:47 PM
btw, what a joke of an organizaiton that cycling shit is. Those American teams should be banned for a few years. What a fucking joke.

Reck
01-17-2013, 06:26 PM
They're stripping him of his bronze medals now. :lmao

lefty
01-18-2013, 09:25 AM
lol at the ST Lance cocksuckers getting shitted on

Where are you faggots

mrsmaalox
01-18-2013, 11:44 AM
Saw a couple of clips from the Oprah interview; he didn't appear very remorseful to me.

KoolAid Mans Brother
01-18-2013, 03:51 PM

Lance is a grade A asshole...and I think that's what I like about him...I probably wouldn't like him personally...but I like the fact that he doesn't put up a front and isn't afraid to be an Ahole...

What I like most about him...

1.He beat cancer...he beat the crap out of it...and that should be an inspiration to every single person on this planet...forget the bike riding...

Whether you like the guy or not...he is a legitimate symbol of hope...one of the greatest ever.

2. He's dominating the Tour de France at the best possible time ;)

I think it's a cyclist thing, most of them are aholes. Greg LeMonde is an ashole too...they are a primadonnaish group.

Sup whottt

ChumpDumper
01-18-2013, 06:47 PM
Sup whottt:depressed

Viva Las Espuelas
01-22-2013, 11:09 PM

Good stuff. :elephanton 'roids

Way to kick ass, Lance. Nice job.on 'roids

All other mofo's must worship at his feet.on 'roids

A tremendous athlete, and I'll leave it at that.on 'roids

Lance tore them up today and that is why he is so freakin' awesome.on 'roids

lance is one bad dude! not even when he was 80% could anyone beat him.

and he is the most tested athlete of any sport. he is clean. he attributes it to cancer. he says when it hurts, the remembers the cancer/treatments/etc and nothing on the bike could compare to that... so when other riders feel the pain and slow down, lance keeps on...on 'roids

Lance Armstrong is probobly one of the top 5 athletes of all time, EASILY...........on 'roids

Tour De Lance ... all the way thru France...on 'roids

i'm surprised Kori hasn't weighed in on this.

Reck
01-22-2013, 11:35 PM
i'm surprised Kori hasn't weighed in on this.

She's a vindicated woman. She's drinking that koolaid with a side of I told you so. lol

Samuel Eto'o
01-23-2013, 12:06 AM

BANG!!!!

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Lakers-Fan-Takes-Off-Sunglasses.gif

'ri El with the motherly instincts!!!

Kori Ellis
01-23-2013, 09:59 PM
:lmao What a funny old thread.

I knew those two were jerks. :lol

lefty
01-23-2013, 10:36 PM
I'm just glad he finally had the ball to come clean.

He had no choice TBH