PDA

View Full Version : Celtics: Report: Celts likely to buyout wheelchair

irishock
05-26-2013, 06:51 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/22307293/report-paul-pierce-to-be-bought-out-by-celtics-made-free-agent
The Ohio News-Herald is reporting that Danny Ainge is "likely" to buy out the Celtics (http://www.cbssports.com/nba/teams/page/BOS/boston-celtics)' Paul Pierce (http://www.cbssports.com/nba/players/playerpage/20626/paul-pierce) this summer for $5 million, releasing the franchise player into the free-agency wild.

Sources indicate Celtics director of basketball operations Danny Ainge will likely buy out forward Paul Pierce's $15 million contract for next year ($5 million is guaranteed). If that happens, [the Cavs] should be first in line to try to acquire Pierce's services. However, before anyone gets too giddy, Pierce will likely want to go to a serious contender.
via Bob Finnan's NBA notes: Noel, McLemore, Porter best options for Cavs at No. 1 - news-herald.com (http://www.news-herald.com/articles/2013/05/26/sports/nh6970927.txt?viewmode=fullstory).
The decision to waive Pierce will be difficult for many Celtics fans to swallow should it come to fruition. Pierce has been with the franchise for 15 seasons. He's "The Captain." It would be flat-out remarkable to see Pierce in another uniform.
It's a bit early to be planning the wake for Pierce's Celtics career, though. There have been few indications from Boston media that the Celtics have reached a decision. They also run the risk of alienating Kevin Garnett (http://www.cbssports.com/nba/players/playerpage/6581/kevin-garnett), who has been adamant about wanting to play with Pierce for the rest of his career. Big decisions lay ahead in the next month and a half for the Celtics, but the reports seem to be leaning towards Pierce being headed for the big green exit.
HT: HoopsHype (http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm)

lefty
05-26-2013, 06:52 PM
WTF

crc21209
05-26-2013, 06:54 PM
Wow, pretty surprising. But it makes sense since the guy is getting pretty old for the SF position...

LkrFan
05-26-2013, 06:56 PM
Stay AWAY Mitch. DON'T do it.

Reck
05-26-2013, 06:56 PM
LOL cavs first in line. Who would want this relic?

baseline bum
05-26-2013, 06:57 PM
I can understand trading Pierce if it gets them a nice piece in return, but outright releasing the guy? I'm mad as fuck if I'm Boston fan.

crc21209
05-26-2013, 06:59 PM
I can understand trading Pierce if it gets them a nice piece in return, but outright releasing the guy? I'm mad as fuck if I'm Boston fan.

This. I bet that Jordan-Bledsoe for KG-Pierce trade is looking good right about now...

baseline bum
05-26-2013, 07:00 PM
This. I bet that Jordan-Bledsoe for KG-Pierce trade is looking good right about now...

I think that deal was only for Garnett, and it was horrible for Boston with DeMonkey's contract.

Richie
05-26-2013, 07:01 PM
I'd take him as a Neal replacement. He could give the Spurs a good 15-20 minutes off the bench

LkrFan
BB you tripping. This will be a GREAT move son. :)

DUNCANownsKOBE
They must plan on trading KG cause there's no way he has any interest in finishing his career with a rebuilding project.

baseline bum
05-26-2013, 07:04 PM
BB you tripping. This will be a GREAT move son. :)

All it does is open up the midlevel exception so they can overpay some average player.

AaronY
05-26-2013, 07:05 PM
LOL cavs first in line. Who would want this relic?
Anyone who wants a difference maker..

jeebus
05-26-2013, 07:05 PM
RIP celtics
RIP rondo's stat padding
RIP rivers once the team hits 15 games below .500

baseline bum
05-26-2013, 07:06 PM
They must plan on trading KG cause there's no way he has any interest in finishing his career with a rebuilding project.

I don't know; Garnett hates moving teams, or he wouldn't have shot down that move to play with Paul in LA. He stuck it out with Minnesota forever and I think he'd retire before getting traded. Maybe that's Boston's thinking here though. Clear $10 million off Pierce's deal and then clear Garnett too when he gets pissed off and quits.

Mugen
The Clippers would be absolutely stupid to not offer him a contract. An Inglewood kid who hates the Lakers, hmmm I wonder who his first option would be.

irishock
Pierce averaged 18.5/6/4.5 in 33 mins a game. Not a locker room cancer, too.

DUNCANownsKOBE
05-26-2013, 07:07 PM
RIP celtics
RIP rondo's stat padding
RIP rivers once the team hits 15 games below .500
Agreed except for Rondo's stat padding. The Celtics next year will be Rondo dribbling around in circles looking for assists with a few Jeff Green isos worked in.

baseline bum
05-26-2013, 07:07 PM
Haven't watched a lot of Pierce this season. Has his defense fallen off much? I mean he was LeBron level elite guarding that position for a long time.

LkrFan
05-26-2013, 07:08 PM
All it does is open up the midlevel exception so they can overpay some average player.
Oh I agree. I'm speaking to their fans' version of the Boston Massacre if Ainge gets rid of PP (Celtic Legend and future HOFer) to save $$ and nothing in return. Here's hoping them bums a irrelevant for the next 20+ years. :lol

jeebus
05-26-2013, 07:09 PM
Agreed except for Rondo's stat padding. The Celtics next year will be Rondo dribbling around in circles looking for assists with a few Jeff Green isos worked in.

you're right; I should've added easy stat padding. it's gonna be ugly watching him dribble around for 20 seconds only to dump it off, hoping for an assist.

ohmwrecker
05-26-2013, 07:09 PM
I'd take him as a Neal replacement. He could give the Spurs a good 15-20 minutes off the bench

I'm sure Pierce would be thrilled to be a bench player with those minutes . . .

racm
05-26-2013, 07:10 PM
Haven't watched a lot of Pierce this season. Has his defense fallen off much? I mean he was LeBron level elite guarding that position for a long time. Nah, Pierce did well in his point forward role when Rondo went down. Ainge can't see that the issue is that no one else on the roster apart from Pierce and Garnett is of any use. All-Defensive Sec:lolnd Teamer Avery Bradley got owned by Raymond Fatty Felton, Jeff Green looks like LeBron one game and RJ the next...

LkrFan
05-26-2013, 07:11 PM
The Clippers would be absolutely stupid to not offer him a contract. An Inglewood kid who hates the Lakers, hmmm I wonder who his first option would be.
Partially correct. He used to sneak into GWF to watch Laker games. Huge Lakers fan growing up. His hate for them runs about as deep as his Celtic paychecks.

Mugen
05-26-2013, 07:11 PM
The Clippers offseason plan is pretty simple:

-Fire Vinny (check)
-Hope Sterling goes the way of Dr. Buss
-Re-Sign Paul
-Throw money at a decent coach (Malone of the Warriors or Bud would be my top two picks)
-Sign wheelchair
-Wait til the C's trade Rondo as well and offer DeMonkey & overrated Bledsoe for KG

Top 3-4 team in the league tbh.

Jeff Leppard
05-26-2013, 07:12 PM
Garnett/Pierce to Da Bulls for Boozer/Deng! Da Super Bulls destroy super friends!

Mugen
Partially correct. He used to sneak into GWF to watch Laker games. Huge Lakers fan growing up. His hate for them runs about as deep as his Celtic paychecks.

He's not ruining his Celtic legacy just so he can fight for the 8th seed with Achilles and Robert Sacre tbh.

baseline bum
I could see Pierce in Dallas next season. He'd be joining a veteran team that could pay him and also offer him a chance to be on a decent playoff team if they can land a point guard.

racm
05-26-2013, 07:14 PM
The Clippers offseason plan is pretty simple: -Fire Vinny (check) -Hope Sterling goes the way of Dr. Buss -Re-Sign Paul -Throw money at a decent coach (Malone of the Warriors or Bud would be my top two picks) -Sign wheelchair -Wait til the C's trade Rondo as well and offer DeMonkey & overrated Bledsoe for KG Top 3-4 team in the league tbh. Won't change the fact that in a couple of years CP3 will be clearly on the decline and Mixed Ginger doesn't look like his post moves or jumper will look better.

LkrFan
05-26-2013, 07:14 PM
He's not ruining his Celtic legacy just so he can fight for the 8th seed with Achilles and Robert Sacre tbh.
See my 1st post in this thread. Malone, Payton, Mitch Richmond, and Nash have all taught me lessons i won't soon forget.

Mugen
05-26-2013, 07:16 PM
See my 1st post in this thread. Malone, Payton, Mitch Richmond, and Nash have all taught me lessons i won't soon forget.

None of those guys played for the Celtics. Name the last C's superstar that went and played for LA.

Rick Fox don't count either :lol

Mugen
05-26-2013, 07:17 PM
Won't change the fact that in a couple of years CP3 will be clearly on the decline and Mixed Ginger doesn't look like his post moves or jumper will look better.

Possibly so, but at least they'd have a 2 year window for a championship as opposed to only staying pat + hiring a new coach and still be a regular season team that peaks in December tbh.

Richie
05-26-2013, 07:18 PM
I'm sure Pierce would be thrilled to be a bench player with those minutes . . .

He'd be getting those minutes because he's old. He needs to start playing Ginobili type minutes to keep him fresh for the playoffs wherever he goes.

If he isn't willing to become a #3/#4 player on a contender, he should just retire. He can't win a championship as a first or second option anymore

baseline bum
05-26-2013, 07:18 PM
None of those guys played for the Celtics. Name the last C's superstar that went and played for LA.

Closest I can think of is Bill Sharman going and coaching the Lakers.

td4mvp2k
05-26-2013, 07:19 PM
nuttn but bs... foos!

Lincoln
05-26-2013, 07:20 PM
Brig him to Dallas tbh

Dirk pierce together finishing out their careers :cry

Mugen
05-26-2013, 07:21 PM
Closest I can think of is Bill Sharman going and coaching the Lakers.

Exactly.

:lol LkrFan comparing a Finals MVP & winner like Pierce to ring-chasing losers like Malone & Nash.

Richie
I could see Pierce in Dallas next season. He'd be joining a veteran team that could pay him and also offer him a chance to be on a decent playoff team if they can land a point guard.

Ding ding ding we have a winner. Dallas is exactly the kind of team I think he'll go to. They'll still need to attract a marquee free agent to become a worthwhile contender, and are Paul or Howard going to want to sign a long contract for a team built around Dirk/Pierce?

DUNCANownsKOBE
Malone was a pretty good fit for LA, he just couldn't stay healthy.

Mugen
05-26-2013, 07:26 PM

I forgot fat Mitch Richmond was a Laker too tbh.

I'm sure Pierce isn't even on Mitch's radar tbh. Ol Jimmy Boy on the other hand.....

baseline bum
05-26-2013, 07:26 PM

Also he played like a faggot in game 1 of the Finals before getting hurt in game 2. Then he pulled a Nash/Artest/BibleKemp by quitting on the season instead of playing through shit once he knew they were losing.

Mugen
05-26-2013, 07:32 PM
Also he played like a faggot in game 1 of the Finals before getting hurt in game 2. Then he pulled a Nash/Artest/BibleKemp by quitting on the season instead of playing through shit once he knew they were losing.

Knowing that the closest thing that Hillbilly faggot got to a championship was the WCW Tag Team belts with Diamond Dallas Page brings me so much joy tbh

spurraider21
05-26-2013, 07:33 PM
CP3 Dirk and Pierce would be a nice trio there, especially if they convince Marion to ditch his final year and resign longer term

BatManu20
05-26-2013, 07:36 PM
Dumb move is they're just releasing him. He'll enjoy South Beach.

baseline bum
05-26-2013, 07:39 PM
Knowing that the closest thing that Hillbilly faggot got to a championship was the WCW Tag Team belts with Diamond Dallas Page brings me so much joy tbh

:lol but he got really damn close in 98. All he had to do was not turn the damn ball over at the end of game 6, but instead he lost the ball to Jordan and fell down on his ass while Michael went down the floor and clinched the title. But no way Chicago wins that game 7 without Pippen. LOL Malone coming seconds from a title and blowing it himself.

Clipper Nation
05-26-2013, 07:41 PM

Payton DID play for the C's, tbh....

Mugen
05-26-2013, 07:52 PM
Payton DID play for the C's, tbh....

Glove was ring chasing like a mofo at the end of his career. Should have changed his name to Sonic tbh.

LkrFan
05-26-2013, 07:54 PM
He was. He got hurt and because he was so old, he didn't recover enough to be effective v. Wallace brothers. We had to start Slava Medvedenko major minutes. Still pisses me off today.

ffadicted
05-26-2013, 07:57 PM
Confused, I am

DPG21920
05-26-2013, 08:00 PM
This is not going to happen. Doesn't make any sense.

Capt Bringdown
05-26-2013, 08:11 PM
Mitch Richmond, heck of player. Too bad he spent his career in Sacramento.
Nice digs, too:
NBA's Mitch Richmond lists Calabasas estate at $9.5 million (http://articles.latimes.com/2013/may/02/business/la-fi-hotprop-mitch-richmond-20130502)
http://www.trbimg.com/img-518199f7/turbine/la-fi-hotprop-mitch-richmond-20130501-001/600/600x450
Former pro basketball shooting guard Mitch Richmond has put his Calabasas estate up for sale at $9.495 million.

The sprawling Mediterranean-style mansion has nearly 13,000 square feet of living space and sits on 2.25 acres with a basketball court, a swimming pool, a barbecue center, a fireplace, a fire pit and lawns. Custom built in 2006, the house features a game room, a sports bar, a theater, a library/office, a wine cellar/tasting room, a gym, six bedrooms and nine bathrooms.

100%duncan
05-26-2013, 08:13 PM

This tbh.

baseline bum
05-26-2013, 08:13 PM
Mitch Richmond, heck of player. Too bad he spent his career in Sacramento.

Thank Don Nelson from breaking up Run-TMC to draft scrub-ass Billy Owens.

Capt Bringdown
05-26-2013, 08:21 PM
Ha, I forgot about Run-TMC. What might have been, eh?

LkrFan
05-26-2013, 08:25 PM
Exactly.

:lol LkrFan comparing a Finals MVP & winner like Pierce to ring-chasing losers like Malone & Nash.
:lol - Mugen :downspin: shit. WGAF? I'm saying we should stay away from "names" because we've been burned more often than not. We're picking up has beens and expect to win with that shit. This is a young man's game.

baseline bum
05-26-2013, 08:27 PM
:lol - Mugen :downspin: shit. WGAF? I'm saying we should stay away from "names" because we've been burned more often than not. We're picking up has beens and expect to win with that shit. This is a young man's game.

I remember a certain 37 year-old shitting all over a young man a little earlier in the playoffs tbh.

LkrFan
05-26-2013, 08:28 PM
BO and Derrick Coleman are the two biggest disappointments in NBA history. Especially DC.

AaronY
05-26-2013, 08:28 PM
Why is the Irrelevant LAL sideshow even being discussed?..he won't wanna go there

He'd be great on any contender for example imagine if Westbrook had stayed and healthy and then him in Martins place..Scary shit tbqh..

LkrFan
05-26-2013, 08:29 PM
I remember a certain 37 year-old shitting all over a young man a little earlier in the playoffs tbh.
:lol - unless y'all rang, it's all for naught. ;)

baseline bum
05-26-2013, 08:31 PM
BO and Derrick Coleman are the two biggest disappointments in NBA history. Especially DC.

Don't think you could really put Owens in the same category as Coleman. About the only player I can think of who blew so much talent was Bias.

Mugen
05-26-2013, 08:32 PM
He'd be on good the Grizzlies too tbh. I just don't see Dallas being a realistic option bc they have about a 2% chance to sign CP3.

Clipper Nation
05-26-2013, 08:32 PM
You want the Lakers to stay away from "names" now? What happened to bending over and biting our bottom lip from those "names" the Lakers got last year? :lol

AaronY
05-26-2013, 08:33 PM
Don't think you could really put Owens in the same category as Coleman. About the only player I can think of who blew so much talent was Bias.
Lol Coleman..Guy parlayed Karl Malone's skills into Laphonso Ellis's career..shit was hard to watch..

LkrFan
05-26-2013, 08:35 PM
Hoya fan here. Both of them bums used blister John Thompson's ass on the regular. BO was college LBJ IMO. Dude was badass.

Bias was a dumbass. Plain and simple.

LkrFan
05-26-2013, 08:37 PM
You want the Lakers to stay away from "names" now? What happened to bending over and biting our bottom lip from those "names" the Lakers got last year? :lol
:lol - an ass whooping will humble you like det. Just pick up your teeth, then move on tbh.

LkrFan
05-26-2013, 08:38 PM
Lol Coleman..Guy parlayed Karl Malone's skills into Laphonso Ellis's career..shit was hard to watch..
This. He's the only dude I know that actually dunked on Shaq. Mad talent. Fuck him.

baseline bum
05-26-2013, 08:40 PM
Hoya fan here. Both of them bums used blister John Thompson's ass on the regular. BO was college LBJ IMO. Dude was badass.

Bias was a dumbass. Plain and simple.

Malik Sealy was always my most hated Georgetown opponent. Shit was sweet watching Mourning and Mutombo fucking shit up inside.

baseline bum
05-26-2013, 08:47 PM
He'd be on good the Grizzlies too tbh. I just don't see Dallas being a realistic option bc they have about a 2% chance to sign CP3.

They have money though. Perhaps he'd take the MLE from Memphis though; that would be an incredible fit.

Rogue
05-26-2013, 09:37 PM
dude is still a decent player imho. to me he looks like a shorter-fatter version of Tim Duncan, dude has the best fundamentals for his position and often creates good shot chances for himself with limited athleticism & mobility.

Mori Chu
05-26-2013, 09:47 PM
He should become a Spur and help Duncan win title #6.

Captivus
05-26-2013, 10:41 PM
He could absolutely help any contender. In a better team he would even better than he did this season.

TDMVPDPOY
05-26-2013, 10:55 PM
whats the chances of both or KG returning to MINNE? they are like a piece or 2 away from competing for a playoff spot....

Kulo
05-27-2013, 12:46 AM
Eh, not so sure about this.. I'd like something in return. He is still a good player, he just can't be a #1 option anymore.

Mal
05-27-2013, 01:35 AM
He could easily go to Spurs, Grizzlies and/or Clippers and chase a ring with those teams.

callo1
05-27-2013, 02:10 AM
If Pierce could accept his role on the Cavs, it could work...IF

Rogue
05-27-2013, 02:45 AM
spurs wont need his service when they're already pretty deep at SF/SG imho.

and the Truth does not deserve such harsh treatment. dude's been a celtic his entire career and even though the team is set to start rebuilding, he can still be a good piece on their squad that can help tutor their talented youngsters. you can sell Ray and KG or buy them out whatever you like, but you don't wreck you flagship even when it's old and broken imho

KL2
05-27-2013, 03:26 AM
I can definitely see him going to Dallas IF they get cp3.

Spurs could go all out next year by trading Green for a nice piece, signing Pierce just for 1 more chance at a 'ship, or not resigning Manu.

dunkman
05-27-2013, 07:40 AM
The Spurs should sign him. The Truth is still a great player.

DAF86
05-27-2013, 08:10 AM

I could see Cuban getting him too, he loves to throw big names (usually past their primes) to the wall and see what sticks.

benefactor
05-27-2013, 08:57 AM
Grizzlies make a lot of sense if this goes down. His leadership and clutchness could easily put them over the top.

Vash StampedE
05-27-2013, 09:23 AM
Hard to picture Paul Pierce not don that green jersey.

jag
05-27-2013, 09:31 AM
I've always thought Pierce was a clown, but I think he's earned the right to be asked what he wants.

Is it weird that I want him on the Spurs? I haven't watched the Celtics at all this season, so I honestly don't know if he consistently brings more to the table than Kawhi (scoring, 3pt shooting, rebounding and defense) at this point is his career. I'm going to guess, no.

Regardless of what happens this season, I think the Spurs' second unit is going to have trouble generating offense from here on out. Ginobili can't really handle that load anymore. It'd be nice to have a guy like Pierce pair up with Manu on the second unit.

Spursfanfromafar
05-27-2013, 11:12 AM
Spurs will go for him if he enters the FA market. Will be a great way for Pierce to end his career and he will be taking Jackson & Neal's position as Manu's minutes will come down further.

HarlemHeat37
05-27-2013, 11:21 AM
Pierce as a 25 MPG player can still produce at an All-Star level, tbh..

He's still a good defensive player, a good passer and he's still a solid all-around scorer..if the Spurs can get him in a bench role, it's a no-brainer, but I doubt he accepts a bench role when many other teams would be willing to keep him in a starter role, tbh..

namlook
05-27-2013, 02:33 PM
The Clippers would be absolutely stupid to not offer him a contract. An Inglewood kid who hates the Lakers....

No. Pierce was a die-hard Lakers fan growing up in LA.

jeebus
05-27-2013, 02:44 PM
Pierce could always go to the Cavs or some shit team and be their Dominique Wilkins

LkrFan
05-27-2013, 04:10 PM
"I think that I have to base my decision on basketball things only," Ainge said. "Listen, I love those guys and I owe a lot to them. They know that, and we know that. And I think there’s a chance that they come back together, but I have to base our decisions on basketball and what’s best for us and the continuity of our franchise."

And Ainge would like to have a better idea of what that is so he has more answers when he chats with Garnett. "Look," he said, "we’re moving forward no matter what. Right now we’re preparing for the draft, and then we’ll prepare for free agency. But somewhere along the time, I will have a conversation with Kevin. I don’t know when that will happen. But I want Kevin to take some time and think about it. I’m not making any decisions over the next week, so at some point we’ll have that conversation. "But we know we have to find ways to get better, and that’s the same whether Paul and KG are here or not."

LINK (http://www.celticsblog.com/2013/5/17/4339830/waiting-on-news-about-paul-pierce-and-kevin-garnett)

Rogue
05-27-2013, 08:15 PM
Pierce as a 25 MPG player can still produce at an All-Star level, tbh..

He's still a good defensive player, a good passer and he's still a solid all-around scorer..if the Spurs can get him in a bench role, it's a no-brainer, but I doubt he accepts a bench role when many other teams would be willing to keep him in a starter role, tbh..

nigga would want a contender more than a starter role imho. he can join the spurs for a finley-type role and it's gonna be fun to watch two Mr.Fundamentals playing on the same team tbh

LnGrrrR
05-27-2013, 08:20 PM
This whole thread makes me sad, because most of it is true.

I want PP to retire a Celtic, but if he wants to leave its his call. I'm assuming they're only buying him out because they couldn't find a decent trade.

LnGrrrR
05-27-2013, 08:31 PM
Also, I certainly wouldn't mind Pierce chasing another ring.