PDA

View Full Version : Will Antonio Daniels Return to San Antonio?

SenorSpur
07-12-2005, 01:05 PM
http://www.woai.com/spurs/story.aspx?content_id=40D4344E-67EC-4813-918A-14620E36F5CC

How would you like to see Antonio Daniels back in a Spurs uniform? Now, I don't believe everything I read, and financially it doesn't seem to make sense, but there's a report that the Spurs are showing interest in the Sonics free agent guard.

The Daytona Beach News Journal’s John Hornack writes, “Abdur-Rahim is being coveted by at least five other teams -- including the defending champion San Antonio Spurs, who could also be making a pitch to have Antonio Daniels rejoin them after a three-year absence.”

Again, this simply doesn't add up financially, unless the Spurs are shopping Beno Udrih along with Rasho Nesterovic.

Daniels confirmed to the Seattle Times Friday that the Heat, along with the Lakers and Jazz, has expressed interest in signing him. He told the newspaper it's likely he would visit with one of those teams next week.

Daniels, 30, hasn't started more than 32 games in a season since starting 50 as a rookie with Vancouver in 1997-98. He played in 75 games for Seattle last season and averaged career-highs in minutes (27), points (11.2) and rebounds (2.3).

ObiwanGinobili
07-12-2005, 01:24 PM
hmmmmmm.....

I'm willing to give him a chance.
How does this fit inot our $$ plans?

strangeweather
07-12-2005, 01:26 PM
He's being courted for starting jobs on likely playoff teams, and possibly for the full MLE. He'd have to want to come home awfully bad to turn that down for what we could offer him.

Of course, if he wants to come here to back up Tony, we'd be crazy to turn him away.

ladiesman
07-12-2005, 01:27 PM
hmmmmmm.....

I'm willing to give him a chance.
How does this fit inot our $$ plans?

He doesn't. He would be a backup to TP, and the $$$$ he will get is too much for a back up.

SenorSpur
07-12-2005, 01:28 PM
Unless we did a sign & trade with Seattle (shop Rasho), then he'd likely use up all of our exception. It's still a better idea to trade big for big. Therefore if we shop Rasho, it would be in the best interest of the team to obtain another "big" in return.

I'd welcome AD's return, but it would come at the expense of another perimeter player (perhaps Beno). Don't know if that's a good idea.

tekdragon
07-12-2005, 01:30 PM
Please God, no.

He's not a point guard.

He's not a two, either.

He doesn't handle the ball well. He doesn't shoot well. He doesn't pass well.

We should be moving forward, not back.

spursfaninla
07-12-2005, 01:37 PM
Maybe you missed the seattle series, buddy. AD tore us a new one as the combo guard. The seattle 3 guard lineup destroyed us.

AD will play for a contender, and will put up the same numbers as our starter. This is his time. I wish we had been more patient, we could have had him for cheap...

Pistons < Spurs
07-12-2005, 01:38 PM
Will Antonio Daniels Return to San Antonio?...Definetly NOT

SenorSpur
07-12-2005, 01:46 PM
Maybe you missed the seattle series, buddy. AD tore us a new one as the combo guard. The seattle 3 guard lineup destroyed us.

AD will play for a contender, and will put up the same numbers as our starter. This is his time. I wish we had been more patient, we could have had him for cheap...

I'm glad someone brought this up. It's true. AD's jumper has vastly improved, as has his decision-making ability. For the past two seasons, he has been among the league leaders in assist-to-turnover ratio. In fact, I believe he lead the league in this category during the '03-'04 season.

I still don't believe he's a true point guard either. More of a combo guard. I also understand one can make the argument that he's not playing starters minutes. However, everyone saw him on display during the Seattle series and he consistently hurt us with his scoring, defense and athleticism.

Big Pimp_21
07-12-2005, 01:47 PM
He said in an interview on Sports Sunday (I think) back during the playoffs that he loves SA and that it wouldn't be out of the question for him to come back. I don't know if he was just saying that for PR or if he meant it. He would definately be an improvement as a back-up PG, but I think his options are better elsewhere. I would also be pissed if we traded Rasho and didn't get another big man.

bigbendbruisebrother
07-12-2005, 01:55 PM
I would also be pissed if we traded Rasho and didn't get another big man.

You're right. We don't need another guard (Beno/Barry/Manu did the trick backing up TP). We do need a small forward.

Pop and RC are not stupid, and AD ain't going to happen (nor is Rahim).

pache100
07-12-2005, 01:55 PM
As much as I liked Antonio Daniels when he was here, I don't particularly want to see him back. I don't think he was a good fit for the Spurs organization, and I don't even know all the reasons for that. But, I trust Pop and the Spurs staff. They got rid of him for a reason.

DDS4
07-12-2005, 02:03 PM
AD should go to the Cavs.

AD, Hughes, Lebron, Gooden, and big Z would be a good lineup.

nkdlunch
07-12-2005, 02:12 PM

good? a little understatement :)

FromWayDowntown
07-12-2005, 02:13 PM
However you view AD, he doesn't make any sense in SA unless the Spurs intend to dump some players this off-season via other trades. He doesn't make sense as a back-up PG, period, IMO. He doesn't really make sense as a combo guard unless the Spurs jettison Brent Barry and/or Devin Brown. But were the Spurs to do either or both of those things, their problems with matching up, lengthwise, would only be increased. With all of that said, the bigger problem is that the Spurs would be messing with a good combination over some romanticized "You Can Go Home Again" story that would cost a bucketload and might not actually improve the team.

The Spurs are already better at the 2. You can find better PG.

Manu20
07-12-2005, 02:20 PM

Agreed, that would definently be a playoff team.

I would rather see the spurs resign Devin instead of going after AD.

spurster
07-12-2005, 02:37 PM
No.

SWC Bonfire
07-12-2005, 02:48 PM
not if Beno has to leave

If there is a God, Antonio Daniels will be a Spur once again.

If not, I will kill myself.:lol

DDS4
07-12-2005, 03:31 PM
good? a little understatement :)

Oops..my bad.

"That lineup would be da bomb, y0 !!!" :smokin :smokin :smokin

Supergirl
07-12-2005, 04:56 PM
ANtonio would fit in a lot better now than when he left. He plays point the way TP and Manu play point - always looking to score. And he's bigger and athletic which would help match up against tougher PGs like Chauncey.

I would love to see him re-join - but I don't know if we can afford him. Wouldn't mind trading Beno, but wouldn't want to give up Rasho. What else could we offer them?