05-27-2013, 01:12 PM
http://hoopshype.com/rumors.html

Its considered to be a long shot though

Anonymous Cowherd
05-27-2013, 01:13 PM
No way can they afford him.

Mel_13
05-27-2013, 01:28 PM
I've got my concerns about competition for Tiago's services, but only from NBA teams. He's about to get paid much more than any European team will offer.

LakerHater
05-27-2013, 01:46 PM
Report: Real Madrid to pursue Splitter (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2013/05/27/report-real-madrid-to-pursue-splitter/)

Posted by Dan McCarney

Spanish radio station Cadena SER is reporting that Real Madrid will make free-agent-to-be Tiago Splitter their top target during the offseason.
The report, translated stateside at HoopsHype.com, describes the bid as a long-shot.
Splitter, is well-known in Spain’s Liga ACB, where he played 10 seasons for three clubs. He was the 2010 MVP with Tau Cerámica, before joining the Spurs for the 2010-11 NBA season. The Brazilian became a naturalized citizen of Spain in 2004, and his wife is Spanish.
Splitter has established himself as a fixture in the starting lineup in his third season with the Spurs. While his raw numbers remained roughly the same from last season — 10.3 points and 6.4 rebounds in 2012-13 compared to 9.3 and 5.2 in 2011-12 — Splitter has provided a consistent defensive presence alongside Tim Duncan.
It remains to be seen if Real Madrid, holder of a record 30 Spanish titles, can afford Splitter. With his size and utility as an above-average pick-and-roll player, Splitter would seem to be in line for an NBA contract ranging from $6-10 million per season. (He’s currently making $3.9 million with a one-year qualifying offer of $4.9 million.)
Rudy Fernandez was reportedly Real’s top-paid player in 2011-12 with a net income of $3.9 million.

Luxic
05-27-2013, 03:46 PM
To those saying Real Madrid can't afford him, keep in mind that NBA salaries are expressed in gross value (i.e. pre-taxes), while European team salaries are directly reported as net. So, basically, a $10 million NBA salary corresponds to $5 millions or so when compared to a European salary.

That being said, I think Tiago's priority is re-signing with the Spurs rather than cashing in, which is something his agent will probably try to do anyway (especially since Tiago will be a RFA and the Spurs will have cap space).

milkyway21
05-27-2013, 04:09 PM
read this guy interested in him too if he can't ink Howard
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTEYt_7wWE3WbUhmiyIUe0tHM0notHl0 nl2SuYsd1r8y5z2uChr

The Spurs have the right of first refusal and will exercise that right if the offers come in at the right number. But Dallas and Atlanta have to have him on their short lists, with several other teams focusing in on him early on in the process.”
Read more at http://www.rantsports.com/nba/2013/05/13/tiago-splitter-on-dallas-mavericks-radar/?Sh64RGCUAI7ftQVo.99

DejuanorwhatDude
05-27-2013, 05:11 PM
If the Spurs win the chip this year, I don't think anyone will give a fuck where he goes. Tiago will cash in and rightfully so.

DrunkTXLabrat
05-27-2013, 05:19 PM
that's scary. look at the euro team tryin to fish the american pool for a change. that's especially dangerous for the spurs. tiago is gonna get the big bucks and i think rightfully so.

Penya
05-27-2013, 05:22 PM
Not gonna happen. Even though there are elections to select Real's president (and those who want to become president drop crazy bombs, esp in soccer), not gonna happen.

Don't want to open a thread about it now with the WCFs going on, but there was an interesting radio interview this afternoon here in Spain.

Pablo Prigioni left a really interesting quote about his free agency.

Q: If you could choose, where would you like to spend an entire season?
A: San Antonio.

It's more shocking even when he hesitated when asked about the most impressive player, the toughest to guard, but not here He also mentioned Manu a few times.

Link (in Spanish: http://www.cadenaser.com/deportes/audios/play-basket-27-05-2013/csrcsrpor/20130527csrcsrdep_11/Aes/?id_rss=14092012-Ser-rs-1-Tw -- from min 15, quote about free agency at min 30.00)

Chinook
05-27-2013, 05:25 PM
^Joseph and De Colo take away any chance of Prigioni joining the Spurs. He probably would have been better than them this season, but he missed his chance.

Penya
05-27-2013, 05:27 PM
^Joseph and De Colo take away any chance of Prigioni joining the Spurs. He probably would have been better than them this season, but he missed his chance.
Agree about CoJo, not that much about NDC.

Chinook
05-27-2013, 05:29 PM
Agree about CoJo, not that much about NDC.

It's more about not having the roster spot than it is about De Colo being better.

Penya
05-27-2013, 05:32 PM
It's more about not having the roster spot than it is about De Colo being better.

I can envision many scenarios where De Colo leaves the team, especially after his complaints about not getting PT. We'll see.

3 Legged Dog
05-27-2013, 08:00 PM
I am not impressed with Splitter. He's basically a 7 footer who does NOT play like a 7 footer. I would offer him $ 7 mil to $ 8 mil per year. AT MOST! If he can get more than that, more power to him.

tuncaboylu
05-27-2013, 10:55 PM
Money is not an issue for Splitter. He left Tau Ceramica to play in NBA for less money next 3 years.

And now he's one of the best free-agent front-court players in the league and it's insane to think him returning to Europe.

On the other hand, can we keep and protect him from other NBA teams? I think Spurs will offer 4 years 30M contract to him. And I hope it will be enough to keep him.

Spurs9
05-27-2013, 10:56 PM
To those saying Real Madrid can't afford him, keep in mind that NBA salaries are expressed in gross value (i.e. pre-taxes), while European team salaries are directly reported as net. So, basically, a $10 million NBA salary corresponds to $5 millions or so when compared to a European salary.

That being said, I think Tiago's priority is re-signing with the Spurs rather than cashing in, which is something his agent will probably try to do anyway (especially since Tiago will be a RFA and the Spurs will have cap space).
Not to mention the huge advantage of no state tax in Texas.

PingPong
05-27-2013, 11:00 PM
The only thing can make Splitter accept an offer from any team from ACB is his wife, who is spanish. And Spanish women are annoying as a shit when they want something. But I don't think it's the case.

SanDiegoSpursFan
05-27-2013, 11:00 PM
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/227867/Tiago-Splitter-Laughs-Off-Real-Madrid-Rumors

Marcus Bryant
05-27-2013, 11:15 PM
If Tiago will accept fake Greek money from Real then sure.

YoMamaIsCallin
05-28-2013, 12:30 AM
Splitter is basically laughing this off.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2013/05/27/splitter-comments-on-real-madrid-rumors/

Biernutz
05-28-2013, 12:53 AM
Why would Tiago leave? Can't get a Whatabuger in Spain.