PDA

View Full Version : Europe: Was there a worst season than this one for Lakerfan, tbh?

ElNono
05-28-2013, 12:20 AM
Everything was looking peachy early on...

- 'reload' by signing up Nash and Howard
- Brown gets canned early and the window opens for Phil's return
- Mamba had 22 fetuses implanted in the knee and looks sharp
- Some proclaim historical 79 win season
- Comparisons with the '96 bulls abound
- OKC trades Harden, West looks weak

and then...

:lol Jim Buss hires D'Antoni
:lol old players are run to the ground
:lol Howard turns out to be a massive pussy
:lol Mamba turns into turnover-prone Allen Iverson
:lol Nash keeps having fun
:lol Jerry Buss collapses at the sight of an under .500 record
:lol After faking injuries all season long, Kobe Achilles finally snaps after 78 games
:lol Phil publishes another book shitting on Kirby
:lol Blake Mamba is born
:lol swept by none other than the Spurs
:lol Nash signed up for two more seasons
:lol D'Antoni signed for two more seasons
:lol worst possible Finals for Lakerfan happens: Lebron vs Duncan

z0sa
05-28-2013, 12:23 AM
Just posted thread title in the shadowflames thread. Easily the worst season in Lakers history ever.

jeebus
05-28-2013, 12:25 AM
son if the Spurs end up winning the lobt and the lakers resign coward, this could be the magical season.

ElNono
05-28-2013, 12:27 AM
son if the Spurs end up winning the lobt and the lakers resign coward, this could be the magical season.

truth

Thebesteva
05-28-2013, 12:30 AM
Everything was looking peachy early on...

- 'reload' by signing up Nash and Howard
- Brown gets canned early and the window opens for Phil's return
- Some proclaim historical 79 win season
- Comparisons with the '96 bulls abound
- OKC trades Harden, West looks weak

and then...

:lol Jim Buss hires D'Antoni
:lol old players are run to the ground
:lol Howard turns out to be a massive pussy
:lol Mamba turns into turnover-prone Allen Iverson
:lol Nash keeps having fun
:lol After faking injuries all season long, Kobe Achilles finally snaps after 78 games
:lol Phil publishes another book shitting on Kirby
:lol Blake Mamba is born
:lol swept by none other than the Spurs
:lol Nash signed up for two more seasons
:lol D'Antoni signed for two more seasons

I've mentioned this previously...for most Laker fans 1991 was THE WORST year ever for Laker fans. But in recent memory, 2004 eclipses this year.

First off, 2013 you had to be kidding yourself if you thought Lakers were going to win it all. I felt they were WCF contenders at best. Kobe is old, Gasol is old, Nash was old, no bench and Howard was injured.

2004 however, I really believed it would be an EASY title and it looked that way. But between Kobe's case, Shaq's contract demands, Malone's desperation to win it, and Payton misfits in the triangle...2004 finals was one of the hardest things to watch EVER.

DMC
05-28-2013, 12:31 AM
120m Frankenstein. It's like that Bruce Willis movie where the chicks never die, they just destroy their bodies. That's the Lakers.

DMC
05-28-2013, 12:34 AM
I've mentioned this previously...for most Laker fans 1991 was THE WORST year ever for Laker fans. But in recent memory, 2004 eclipses this year.

First off, 2013 you had to be kidding yourself if you thought Lakers were going to win it all. I felt they were WCF contenders at best. Kobe is old, Gasol is old, Nash was old, no bench and Howard was injured.

2004 however, I really believed it would be an EASY title and it looked that way. But between Kobe's case, Shaq's contract demands, Malone's desperation to win it, and Payton misfits in the triangle...2004 finals was one of the hardest things to watch EVER.

You made it to the Finals that season. You didn't spend 120m. Buss was alive. Can't be worse than this season, despite missed expectations. You only missed one level. This season you've had the best, on paper, team in the West yet you got your shit pushed in by mediocre non playoff teams. Kobe went from chucker to overly passing the ball to rack up stats to chucker to refusing to shoot to chucker and finally to crippled tattoo faggot. You have a 30m dollar Brandon Roy now.

jag
05-28-2013, 12:35 AM
:lol Jerry Buss looking up right now and seeing his beloved franchise in turmoil

Kidd K
05-28-2013, 12:35 AM

Not gonna lie, these three were hilarious.

z0sa
05-28-2013, 12:38 AM

Surprising how many people were willing to kid themselves ...

ElNono
05-28-2013, 12:40 AM
If you think about it, there's even more... I still remember Lakerfan all giddy on the fact that Bynum couldn't play a game for Philly... everything was looking great back then :lol

Jacob1983
05-28-2013, 12:41 AM
2011 was worse because my Mavs swept that Laker ass and went on to win the championship.

DejuanorwhatDude
05-28-2013, 12:42 AM
:lol Jerry Buss looking up right now and seeing his beloved franchise in turmoil

"Looking up" lol such an asshole.

Ashy Larry
05-28-2013, 12:46 AM
this was a pretty brutal season but really nothing to do with anyone else ...... people were like "see you in June" when Howard and Nash got on board and I'm like, what about the bench??? In typical Laker fashion, we don't need a bench as long as the Black Mamba yadda yadda yadda .....

when the owner dies, the head coach is fire, another one is rehire who dont know defense and a bad fit for the personnel, the brother and sister dont speak to each other and all of the injuries, it was a sad and brutal train wreck. Like that dog who gets on the freeway. You know whats gonna happen but you can't take your eyes off him ......

jag
05-28-2013, 12:47 AM
:lol Dwight quit
:lol Pau quit
:lol D'Antoni quit
:lol Kobe's achilles quit
:lol Jerry Buss quit

Leon Black
05-28-2013, 12:50 AM
:lol spur fan coming to the realization that they stand no fucking chance agains the Heat.
:lol smack talking laker fans to cover up they butthurt

Thebesteva
05-28-2013, 12:51 AM
Surprising how many people were willing to kid themselves ...

You're absolutely correct about that, the talk in the town was dynasty and I found that laughable. I truly believed Mitch was not done with the offseason by signing just Dwight and Nash, definitely felt they needed some youth and athleticism. I wont lie, I thought the team would be really good but not close to a championship team.

You made it to the Finals that season. You didn't spend 120m. Buss was alive. Can't be worse than this season, despite missed expectations. You only missed one level. This season you've had the best, on paper, team in the West yet you got your shit pushed in by mediocre non playoff teams. Kobe went from chucker to overly passing the ball to rack up stats to chucker to refusing to shoot to chucker and finally to crippled tattoo faggot. You have a 30m dollar Brandon Roy now.

Yeah but eventually all teams fall apart and go into the crapper for years, it's time for this nucleus and Jim Buss is definitely going to be a dark cloud for the Lakers for a long time. But 2004 was VERY promising, and at that time I remember everyone saying we lost Shaq and a dynasty. This year, it's kind of laughable, I can care less. The mood from Laker fans is kind of like this team isnt serious right now

jag
05-28-2013, 12:52 AM
:lol then, just like Kobe against the suns, Jerry quit :cry

DUNCANownsKOBE
I would say Nash quit but quitting generally implies you originally had gotten started

Thebesteva
BTW, something us Laker fans pretend to forget. In 2005 when Kobe resigned and started his version of the Lakers, the fan base went mutiny on him and I can recall he presented an award at the country music awards or some random shit and he got a unanimous boo (IN LOS ANGELES) from the fans. Kobe was villain #1 until 2008 in LA, everyone pretends that isnt so.

jag
05-28-2013, 12:53 AM
:lol Nash tried to quit

ElNono
05-28-2013, 12:54 AM
Nash had fun... that's what it's all about with him... and ducking his kids, tbh

jag
05-28-2013, 12:54 AM
:lol Steve Blake was the only one who didn't quit

:lol Steve Blake

spurraider21
05-28-2013, 12:56 AM
i feel 05 and 06 have to be the worst ones. 05, fresh off shaq leaving, they miss the playoffs. Rudy T abandons ship, and they have to watch the Spurs win the championship against the very pistons that just squashed the Lakers the year prior. Or 06 where the lakers get bounced in the first round and then go watch Shaq win a ring sans kobe

DUNCANownsKOBE
05-28-2013, 12:56 AM
Nash had fun... that's what it's all about with him... and ducking his kids, tbh
And pretending to be for conservation even though he drives a gas guzzler and has a house in Phoenix that consumes tons of water (true story, tbh) :lol

jag
05-28-2013, 12:57 AM
:lol Kobe's parents quit

TDMVPDPOY
05-28-2013, 12:57 AM
they had no business playin in the playoffs after the refs got them there

and they use the excuse if we all fit injury free in the playoffs..injury free the lakers still have a system problem that was working for them shown in the RS...

using the excuse spurs are scared by tanking to avoid lakers, so why did the lakers win the games to move up to 7th?

jag
05-28-2013, 12:58 AM
:lol culburn quit

jag
05-28-2013, 12:59 AM
The one who started it all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGoxIvuPtmo

Floyd Pacquiao
05-28-2013, 01:07 AM
Jag going HAM ala tony parker game 4 of the 2013 wcf

HarlemHeat37
05-28-2013, 01:14 AM

:lol..

Capt Bringdown
05-28-2013, 01:52 AM
One of the best OPs in Spurstalk history, IMO

Fuck the Lakers
Lots of Laker gear in yard sales this summer.

http://www.meijer.com/assets/product_images/styles/xlarge/1003724_H10NB11CBLAL_A_400.jpg

Juggity
05-28-2013, 02:16 AM
:lol spur fan coming to the realization that they stand no fucking chance agains the Heat.
:lol smack talking laker fans to cover up they butthurt

:lol let's watch the ECF play out before we declare the Heat Eastern Conference Champions, shall we?

Thebesteva
05-28-2013, 02:21 AM
:lol let's watch the ECF play out before we declare the Heat Eastern Conference Champions, shall we?

The reason the Lakers won against the Celtics in 2010 was because Paul Pierce tweeted,'bring out the brooms' against Orlando when they were up 3-0 and somehow that dug deep with Dwight Howard of all people and the team played a ferocious series at that point and managed to injure alot of the Celtics.

If I was a Spur fan, I'd be rooting for the same thing right now. Sweep the leg Hibbert...sweep the leg.

Juggity
05-28-2013, 02:32 AM
If I was a Spur fan, I'd be rooting for the same thing right now. Sweep the leg Hibbert...sweep the leg.

Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely hoping for something like this to go down, but Lebron's body is made of something other than human flesh. He'd probably have to fall out of an airplane to tear an ACL.

LkrFan
05-28-2013, 07:42 AM
OK, this was funny. :rollin :lmao :rollin

100%duncan
05-28-2013, 08:23 AM
:lol 128 Million :lol

Killakobe81
05-28-2013, 08:37 AM
Not sure if serious ...
Bad season no doubt, but the HIV announcement season was worse.
And also with the media swirling around the Shaq/Kobe feud and Achilles's rape case I enjoyed that season the least (just my feelings I was so sick of them both I was happy they were split, just to end the drama) even if it ended up in a Finals 0.4 was the only real highlight of 2004 Especially after the "matrix reloaded" (cheesy shit I know but there were t-shirts) hype. I guess for me it hurt more becuase I loved GP (sonic days). But not only were Kobe and Shaq acting like bytches, Phil and the Glove could not get along ...and Fisher resented being relegated to the bench. 2004 was abigger disappointment for me ...

This season though disappointing and no I wont make excuses, but injuries were a big part and since I predicted 2nd round loss ...did not hurt much tbh. We have been a great franchise with some good luck that ran out. Shit happens.

Again i dont care about Lakers spending $128 mill with the TWC deal they just signed ...and the price they charge for seats at Staples ...

urunobili
05-28-2013, 08:43 AM
son if the Spurs end up winning the lobt and the lakers resign coward, this could be the magical season.That could very well end up making up for the Gasol trade that rang Kirby again tbh

Killakobe81
05-28-2013, 08:54 AM
One more thing as I age I guess I take these losses far less personal With a wife and kids it matters to me still a lot, but not as much. Dont get me wrong I still am a bordeline fanatic ... but maybe you guys are right maybe this year is a bigger disappointment historically and maybe I dont see it/fee lit because I am 8 years older saw that 2004 debacle ...maybe I just have more persepective and it bothers me less.

TDMVPDPOY
05-28-2013, 09:12 AM
128m payroll or getting rid of snaq oatmeal?

Relevancy
05-28-2013, 09:52 AM
Nope, will this be the Spurs most disappointing season after they get eliminated against the Heat?

Splits
05-28-2013, 09:54 AM
Again i dont care about Lakers spending $128 mill with the TWC deal they just signed ...and the price they charge for seats at Staples ...

How does $200 million sound next season, with half of that going to small market teams? Juicy.

http://www.highwaygirl.com/hwg/images/VULTURE.jpg

midnightpulp
05-28-2013, 09:55 AM
Nope, will this be the Spurs most disappointing season after they get eliminated against the Heat?

Not in the least. This is one of the better seasons in Spurs history. No one expected them in the Finals this year.

The Western Conference Championship was the L:lolkers to lose preseason.

Relevancy
05-28-2013, 10:22 AM
Not in the least. This is one of the better seasons in Spurs history. No one expected them in the Finals this year.

The Western Conference Championship was the L:lolkers to lose preseason.Well they did sweep a team that was arguably gonna be there at the end, at least in paper, but when everything is said and done, if there's no ring then there's no reason for celebration, especially when Duncan is his last standing leg, I mean if there was a season for the Spurs to win, now would be it, nothing like going out with Duncan winning it, I mean why waste a perfect Duncan year, or a Manu, TP.. to only come short? because god knows predicting the Spurs future after Duncan retires, that applies to the Lakers also, after Bryant retires I foresee a dark time period, Duncan is in the perfect position, while Bryant is doing I don't know what.

Tell me, 10 years from now will you look at this as one of the better seasons the Spurs have had if they don't ring?
To me it'll be the most disappointing one, speaking as an NBA fan of course, a waste of season..

Vash StampedE
05-28-2013, 10:37 AM
http://sigroup.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/steve-nash-dwight-howard-si-cover.jpg

They said they was gonna have fun :lol

Mugen
05-28-2013, 10:37 AM
hey Rel, how about you stfu and cheer for the Spurs like it's your cousin's Quinceanera.

Relevancy
05-28-2013, 10:57 AM
hey Rel, how about you stfu and cheer for the Spurs like it's your cousin's Quinceanera.Why do you always bring race into things? its neither funny nor amusing. The only thing left for me to assume was that you were raped by one of unknown cholo cousins, I sincerely doubt that since my "Mexican" family is to classy and I'm very sure if we had one cholo in our family tree, we wouldn't go to his funeral or even weep from his absence, instead we'd be opening Tequilas left and right, so answer me this Mugen? Which one was it? You being raped by a cholo cousin of mine would be highly unlikely, like I said, my family is too classy for that, but if you ever want to use my shoulder as a crying for consolation *tool, I'm here Mugen

td4mvp2k
05-28-2013, 11:07 AM
http://sigroup.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/steve-nash-dwight-howard-si-cover.jpg

They said they was gonna have fun :lol:lmao @ 1 new king of da west

king of sh*t!

Mugen
05-28-2013, 11:11 AM
Why do you always bring race into things? its neither funny nor amusing. The only thing left for me to assume was that you were raped by one of unknown cholo cousins, I sincerely doubt that since my "Mexican" family is to classy and I'm very sure if we had one cholo in our family tree, we wouldn't go to his funeral or even weep from his absence, instead we'd be opening Tequilas left and right, so answer me this Mugen? Which one was it? You being raped by a cholo cousin of mine would be highly unlikely, like I said, my family is too classy for that, but if you ever want to use my shoulder as a crying for consolation *tool, I'm here Mugen

Hey Rel. STFU and get on the bandwagon mi hermano.

midnightpulp
05-28-2013, 11:14 AM
Well they did sweep a team that was arguably gonna be there at the end, at least in paper, but when everything is said and done, if there's no ring then there's no reason for celebration, especially when Duncan is his last standing leg, I mean if there was a season for the Spurs to win, now would be it, nothing like going out with Duncan winning it, I mean why waste a perfect Duncan year, or a Manu, TP.. to only come short? because god knows predicting the Spurs future after Duncan retires, that applies to the Lakers also, after Bryant retires I foresee a dark time period, Duncan is in the perfect position, while Bryant is doing I don't know what.

Tell me, 10 years from now will you look at this as one of the better seasons the Spurs have had if they don't ring?
To me it'll be the most disappointing one, speaking as an NBA fan of course, a waste of season..

How is it a "waste of a season" when they have exceeded all expectations? That doesn't make any sense.

A "waste of season" is what happened in 2011, when the Spurs started out 44-8 and then shit themselves the second half of the season. Or the Mavericks losing in '06 and '07.

Not to mention, the Spurs are likely going to be matched up in the Finals with the best team since the '01 Lakers. They will be heavy, heavy underdogs in that series.

You can't "waste" something away you were never expected to achieve. "Wasting" implies that you blew a golden opportunity that was there for taking. Miami isn't "there for the taking" since they are the much better team with the best player in the world.

Now if the Spurs go up 2-0 or 3-1 and wind up losing the series, then I would agree it would be a "waste."

I'll be disappointed, sure. But a Finals loss to a great, maybe historically great, team is a much better way to go down then how the Spurs lost in '95, '04, '06, '11, and last year, which were by definition "wastes of a season."

ohmwrecker
05-28-2013, 11:42 AM
IrRelevancy (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=29578) with the irrelevant bads . . .

Relevancy
05-28-2013, 11:44 AM
How is it a "waste of a season" when they have exceeded all expectations? That doesn't make any sense.

A "waste of season" is what happened in 2011, when the Spurs started out 44-8 and then shit themselves the second half of the season. Or the Mavericks losing in '06 and '07.

Not to mention, the Spurs are likely going to be matched up in the Finals with the best team since the '01 Lakers. They will be heavy, heavy underdogs in that series.

You can't "waste" something away you were never expected to achieve. "Wasting" implies that you blew a golden opportunity that was there for taking. Miami isn't "there for the taking" since they are the much better team with the best player in the world.

Now if the Spurs go up 2-0 or 3-1 and wind up losing the series, then I would agree it would be a "waste."

I'll be disappointed, sure. But a Finals loss to a great, maybe historically great, team is a much better way to go down then how the Spurs lost in '95, '04, '06, '11, and last year, which were by definition "wastes of a season."What I meant was that this might be the last chance the Spurs get to be in this finals for awhile, but I agree with you with the definition of "waste", it wont be a waste since like you said, they exceeded all the expectations, my definition of waste was not a good one.

I will however think this season will be a huge disappointment if the Spurs don't win, and for Duncan not to win in what might be his last year to get a chance to do so, I know it will give you some satisfaction knowing they exceeded your expectations, but other then that? What will it do historically? I guess in 10 years Spur fans could say "My Spurs went to the finals that year and lost to the Heat" sadly that "lost" will be all that will remain

Relevancy
05-28-2013, 11:46 AM
IrRelevancy (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=29578) with the irrelevant bads . . .Oh hey ohmwrecker, how are you? tbh I don't see how your any different, but I forgot I'm talking to an intellectual, the worst thing of all, I'm doing it while being in Message board, so carry on with your life thinking your opinion is somehow better then mine.

ohmwrecker
05-28-2013, 11:49 AM
Oh hey ohmwrecker, how are you?

Hey, guy. Not bad. How 'bout yerself?

Relevancy
05-28-2013, 11:51 AM
Hey, guy. Not bad. How 'bout yerself?I'm doing good to, I'm sorry about editing that previous post of mine and giving you a "bad", I thought you held some grudge. Can we be friends?:toast

ohmwrecker
05-28-2013, 11:51 AM
tbh I don't see how your any different, but I forgot I'm talking to an intellectual, the worst thing of all, I'm doing it while being in Message board, so carry on with your life thinking your opinion is somehow better then mine.

You're funny.

ohmwrecker
05-28-2013, 11:52 AM
I'm doing good to, I'm sorry about editing that previous post of mine and giving you a "bad", I thought you held some grudge. Can we be friends?:toast

Sure.

Relevancy
05-28-2013, 11:58 AM
Sure.Thank you, believe it or not I am one fragile person when it comes to feelings, I just don't feel like disrespecting another person if I don't need to, but I like you, you actually asked how I was doing, you didn't feel the need to troll me, that to me is a sign of a great person.:toast

midnightpulp
05-28-2013, 12:01 PM
What I meant was that this might be the last chance the Spurs get to be in this finals for awhile, but I agree with you with the definition of "waste", it wont be a waste since like you said, they exceeded all the expectations, my definition of waste was not a good one.

I will however think this season will be a huge disappointment if the Spurs don't win, and for Duncan not to win in what might be his last year to get a chance to do so, I know it will give you some satisfaction knowing they exceeded your expectations, but other then that? What will it do historically? I guess in 10 years Spur fans could say "My Spurs went to the finals that year and lost to the Heat" sadly that "lost" will be all that will remain

Not necessarily. Despite the overuse of the "championship or bust" mentality, there can be special seasons that hold a place in a fan's heart even if their team doesn't win the championship. This is shaping up to be one of those kind of seasons. However, the Spurs' getting swept or imploding like the Dallas Mavericks did in '06 would definitely sour that feeling.

But if the Spurs lose a competitive 6 game series, I don't think many Spurs fans will be "crushed." They'll likely look back on this season, even 10 years down the road, as one of the more memorable and exciting playoff runs the Spurs have ever had.

DUNCANownsKOBE
05-28-2013, 12:07 PM
mid, you really think this Heat team is the best since the 01 Lakers (I agree with you about the waste of a season thing but this is a separate question)? I'd take the 05 Spurs, 08 Celtics and 09 Lakers over this Heat team, tbh.

Relevancy
05-28-2013, 12:10 PM
Not necessarily. Despite the overuse of the "championship or bust" mentality, there can be special seasons that hold a place in a fan's heart even if their team doesn't win the championship. This is shaping up to be one of those kind of seasons. However, the Spurs' getting swept or imploding like the Dallas Mavericks did in '06 would definitely sour that feeling.

But if the Spurs lose a competitive 6 game series, I don't think many Spurs fans will be "crushed." They'll likely look back on this season, even 10 years down the road, as one of the more memorable and exciting playoff runs the Spurs have ever had.Yeah it will depend in how they lose, if they simply "roll" over to a simpler better team I wouldn't really think of it as much, I'll just remember it as another final that was lost to a better team, the only way I could insert the word "Magical" into these Spurs, is like you said, if they make this a memorable one, which I'm sure will be one, Duncan is no noob to this, neither are Parker and Manu.

I think that's just what I meant, its how they lose.

midnightpulp
05-28-2013, 12:31 PM
mid, you really think this Heat team is the best since the 01 Lakers (I agree with you about the waste of a season thing but this is a separate question)? I'd take the 05 Spurs, 08 Celtics and 09 Lakers over this Heat team, tbh.

Possibly. But I have no problem with anyone thinking the teams you mentioned are better, with the exception of maybe the '09 Lakers (got taken to 7 games by Houston, who were without Yao and McGrady. Beat a team led by Dwight H:lolward in the Finals). Although, the '09 Lakers frontline was scary as fuck and has a massive matchup advantage over Crissy and Co. But I think Kobe has a very, very tough time against that Miami perimeter D.

lebomb
05-28-2013, 12:39 PM

You think we care WTF you think? You are a Suns fan and dont know shit about winning TBH, tell me how my fawtbox taste :hat

DUNCANownsKOBE
05-28-2013, 12:48 PM
Possibly. But I have no problem with anyone thinking the teams you mentioned are better, with the exception of maybe the '09 Lakers (got taken to 7 games by Houston, who were without Yao and McGrady. Beat a team led by Dwight H:lolward in the Finals). Although, the '09 Lakers frontline was scary as fuck and has a massive matchup advantage over Crissy and Co. But I think Kobe has a very, very tough time against that Miami perimeter D.
Yeah the 09 Lakers were never really tested by a good team. The Rockets took them to 7 but never had a real chance and the 09 Nuggets were a circus team that was never a true contender. They might be more of a particularly bad matchup for Miami than an overall better team.

Of the three the 05 Spurs are the team I'm most convinced is better than and would beat Miami. That team didn't have any major weaknesses and would have won well over 60 games if not for Duncan's ankle injury. Easily the best Spurs team of the Duncan era imo.

DUNCANownsKOBE
05-28-2013, 12:48 PM
:monkey

The Reckoning
05-28-2013, 12:52 PM
damnit everytime i read 'lakers' i think of the gif of that dude with the lakers necklace mouthing the words

midnightpulp
05-28-2013, 12:54 PM
Yeah the 09 Lakers were never really tested by a good team. The Rockets took them to 7 but never had a real chance and the 09 Nuggets were a circus team that was never a true contender. They might be more of a particularly bad matchup for Miami than an overall better team.

Of the three the 05 Spurs are the team I'm most convinced is better than and would beat Miami. That team didn't have any major weaknesses and would have won well over 60 games if not for Duncan's ankle injury. Easily the best Spurs team of the Duncan era imo.

Definitely. Peak Manu. Prime Duncan. An emerging Parker. Bowen at the height of his defensive powers. Clutch role players like Horry and Barry. Great team.

ElNono
05-28-2013, 12:58 PM

You could add the '04 Pistons there. They were the best defensive team I've seen... They weren't obviously pretty to watch, but I think that's a team that could've tied up this Heat team (they absolutely killed the triangle).

midnightpulp
05-28-2013, 01:17 PM
You could add the '04 Pistons there. They were the best defensive team I've seen... They weren't obviously pretty to watch, but I think that's a team that could've tied up this Heat team (they absolutely killed the triangle).

As did Kobe :lol

Cry Havoc
05-28-2013, 01:35 PM

I think the 04 Pistons are commonly forgot about in this discussion. That team was a fucking monster. They'd give anyone a good 7 games IMO.

Agree with other posters though, the 05 Spurs was the best team and maybe the best title team since the 01 Lakers.

This year's Heat team is right they're, though. They're damn good.

Cry Havoc
05-28-2013, 01:35 PM

And of course Nono points it out before me. :pctoss

leemajors
05-28-2013, 02:03 PM
damnit everytime i read 'lakers' i think of the gif of that dude with the lakers necklace mouthing the words

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/185wsu7f62b33gif/ku-xlarge.gif

DUNCANownsKOBE
05-28-2013, 02:04 PM
They killed the triangle because Slava Medvedenko was getting PT and Kobe was chucking his team out of the game because he decided he'd rather lose than see Shaq win another finals MVP.

Unless Rasheed Wallace went absolutely crazy, I don't see how the 04 Pistons beat this Heat team. The Heat's weakness on defense is inside and the Pistons were a perimeter oriented offensive team Miami would have given fits to with their perimeter D. In addition to that, look at Lebron's history against those Pistons teams. The 06 Pistons were taken to 7 games by Lebron and his shit supporting cast that year and damn near lost in six (not to mention they lost the next series because Wade destroyed them). A year later Lebron actually did beat the Pistons with his shit supporting cast.

Regardless of whether or not the 04 Pistons were a fluke (I think they were since winning a championship without a top 10 player on your team rarely ever happens), the Heat would simply be a terrible matchup for them. Prince has been an overrated defender most of his entire career because of the 04 finals and he'd get shat on by Lebron and Wade like he did every other team he went up against them.

Splits
05-28-2013, 02:05 PM

No.

http://www.totalprosports.com/2010/06/03/la-lakers-douche-bag-fan-gif/

Killakobe81
05-28-2013, 02:55 PM
How does $200 million sound next season, with half of that going to small market teams? Juicy.

http://www.highwaygirl.com/hwg/images/VULTURE.jpg

Sucks for them, good for the small market teams ... are you getting a cut? No. And i aint paying the bill either. They can raise tix Price at Staples ...still doesnt affect me since I relocated from socal years ago ...

I will probably not attend another game at Staples until Kobe, horry or Fish get their jersey retired and I doubt the last two will ...

ElNono
05-28-2013, 02:58 PM
They killed the triangle because Slava Medvedenko was getting PT and Kobe was chucking his team out of the game because he decided he'd rather lose than see Shaq win another finals MVP.

While those two are true, you can't underestimate how tough they were defensively. They went on to take perhaps the most dominant Spurs team to 7 games the next Finals. Kobe chucked, but don't discount the Pistons D having something to do with it.

Unless Rasheed Wallace went absolutely crazy, I don't see how the 04 Pistons beat this Heat team. The Heat's weakness on defense is inside and the Pistons were a perimeter oriented offensive team Miami would have given fits to with their perimeter D. In addition to that, look at Lebron's history against those Pistons teams. The 06 Pistons were taken to 7 games by Lebron and his shit supporting cast that year and damn near lost in six (not to mention they lost the next series because Wade destroyed them). A year later Lebron actually did beat the Pistons with his shit supporting cast.

To be fair, Larry Brown ejected himself after '05 and the Pistons were never the same. Larry is lil douchebag, but the difference between him and Fl:lolp S:lolund:lolrs was major.

Regardless of whether or not the 04 Pistons were a fluke (I think they were since winning a championship without a top 10 player on your team rarely ever happens), the Heat would simply be a terrible matchup for them. Prince has been an overrated defender most of his entire career because of the 04 finals and he'd get shat on by Lebron and Wade like he did every other team he went up against them.

What would make a huge difference to me is that neither Lebron or Wade could get to the rim... The Big Ben/Sheed duo basically shut down the paint, and Big Ben especially blocked the fuck out of everybody. They were physical as hell too. While Lebron is a monster physically, and guys like Battier are used to the rough play, I can't think guys like Bosh, Wade, Chalmers, Cole, etc survive it. There's also the fact that their offense was pure execution. It was basically Sheed on the post, or multi-screens for a Rip handoff. They didn't run much PnR, which is the Heat forte defensively.

Like I said, I don't know if they beat them, but they're certainly one of those teams that could tie em up.

The Reckoning
05-28-2013, 02:59 PM
How will the
http://images.wildammo.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/douche.gif

approach this offseason?

ohmwrecker
05-28-2013, 03:00 PM

It's not nice to make fun of the retards.

Killakobe81
05-28-2013, 03:00 PM

But if the Spurs lose a competitive 6 game series, I don't think many Spurs fans will be "crushed." They'll likely look back on this season, even 10 years down the road, as one of the more memorable and exciting playoff runs the Spurs have ever had.

Except for the OT games I wouldnt call this playoff run memorable ...at least from a NBA fan perspective. I think seeing Duncan climb in the hot tub time machine will be the most memorable thing about this season if they dont rang. Manu has a game winner and Parker climbed the PG ladder ... but duncan had a Kareem in 1985 type season when just a few years back BR was disgusted that Timmy made the ASG and others also had shoveled dirt on him, even if Parker wins a another MVP this will be Duncan's moment like the nerdy clean version of Ray Lewis ...and yes I would have to reconsider Duncan's place over Kobe.

TacoMeatJackson
05-28-2013, 03:21 PM
Fuck yeah they embarrassed. Snitch got that Achilles tore up like I tear up pussy.

midnightpulp
05-28-2013, 03:26 PM
Except for the OT games I wouldnt call this playoff run memorable ...at least from a NBA fan perspective. I think seeing Duncan climb in the hot tub time machine will be the most memorable thing about this season if they dont rang. Manu has a game winner and Parker climbed the PG ladder ... but duncan had a Kareem in 1985 type season when just a few years back BR was disgusted that Timmy made the ASG and others also had shoveled dirt on him, even if Parker wins a another MVP this will be Duncan's moment like the nerdy clean version of Ray Lewis ...and yes I would have to reconsider Duncan's place over Kobe.

For Spurs fans, it definitely is.

This was the Lakers/Thunder's conference to lose, and no one (except Hollinger) expected the Spurs to make much noise in the post-season.

Indeed, it would've been sweeter to knock off a healthy Thunder enroute, but this Memphis team was no pushover. Prior to the series, the Spurs were supposed to be no match for Memphis' frontline that was, as one fan said, "going to eat Tim Duncan alive," and their lockdown perimeter defense that was going to put a stranglehold on Tony Parker. I even believed it myself to some extent. Memphis looked scary good coming into the series.

So to sweep this team, the same team that made a suspect trade (at the time) that shifted the balance of power in the Western Conference away from the Spurs to the Lakers and then handed the Spurs an embarrassing upset 3 years later, is a pretty big deal for Spurfan.

Killakobe81
05-28-2013, 03:32 PM
For Spurs fans, it definitely is.

This was the Lakers/Thunder's conference to lose, and no one (except Hollinger) expected the Spurs to make much noise in the post-season.

Indeed, it would've been sweeter to knock off a healthy Thunder enroute, but this Memphis team was no pushover. Prior to the series, the Spurs were supposed to be no match for Memphis' frontline that was, as one fan said, "going to eat Tim Duncan alive," and their lockdown perimeter defense that was going to put a stranglehold on Tony Parker. I even believed it myself to some extent. Memphis looked scary good coming into the series.

So to sweep this team, the same team that made a suspect trade (at the time) that shifted the balance of power in the Western Conference away from the Spurs to the Lakers and then handed the Spurs an embarrassing upset 3 years later, is a pretty big deal for Spurfan.

Not disputing that Spurs ride has not been fun. Just saying if they don't win it all what will endure? For me I will remember Manu's shot and Duncan doing work even more than Parker regaining his MVP conversation form. Sure you got revenge on Memphis and swept the Lakers but none of that was memorable. Trust me if you guys beat the Kang THAT would be meorable maybe even more so that the Mavs in 2011 ...

midnightpulp
05-28-2013, 03:40 PM
Not disputing that Spurs ride has not been fun. Just saying if they don't win it all what will endure? For me I will remember Manu's shot and Duncan doing work even more than Parker regaining his MVP conversation form. Sure you got revenge on Memphis and swept the Lakers but none of that was memorable. Trust me if you guys beat the Kang THAT would be meorable maybe even more so that the Mavs in 2011 ...

The fact this team stepped up, against all odds, and made one last push for their 5th championship.

Killakobe81
05-28-2013, 03:54 PM
The fact this team stepped up, against all odds, and made one last push for their 5th championship.

You speaking purely as a Spur fan. Im speaking as ageneral NBA fan ...
Let me ask you this Mid. Since you like to throw stats around ...Duncan in his post game comments got me thinking about this ...they have not been that far away (Parker said the same he promised Tim a Finals trip) so how can you call this (please explain)... how is this against all odds? Consider teh following:

1. Spurs have a legit top 10 heck, top 5 arguably player (i only started watching in 1980) who is not in his prime but had one of the best "senior" seasons since KAJ.
2. Spurs have had the best record over the past 3 seasons
3. They have a all-time top 3 coach (in my years I go : 1. PJ 2. Riley 3. Popovich)
4. A player playing at an MVP level
5. Proven vets A la Fisher, Horry and Battier (though he plays dumb at times) Manu is proven at that role ...

SO my question is was this run more likely given the above or the loss to the Grizz?
Spurs may over achieved a bit record-wise the past 3 years but they also under-achieved in the playoffs a bit.

Not saying dont be excited, not saying dont be excited ...but I am not completely shocked ans would not say it has been memorable, impressive yes, but memorable? No. I predicted at least one WCF run out of Tim before he retired you were blessed with two PLUS A Finals run ... if he closes this out even if Parker does the heavy lifting the most memorable moments will come come from there seeing Timmy get 5. Otherwise this whole playoffs has not been very memorable not just for Spurs. Curry was hot for a few games, but it's been the James show and Spurs have quietly matched them in the West. Nothing memorable has happened especially with the injuries all over the playoff teams.

Killakobe81
05-28-2013, 04:01 PM
And that is not a knock, Spurs have been doing work. Like a ninja quiet effective and deadly work. Just not memorable ...yet.
They beat James and it willbe teh biggest upset even bigger than 2011 Mavs tbh ...

midnightpulp
05-28-2013, 04:15 PM
You speaking purely as a Spur fan. Im speaking as ageneral NBA fan ...
Let me ask you this Mid. Since you like to throw stats around ...Duncan in his post game got me thinking about this ...so what you to explain how is this against all odds?

1. Spurs have a legit top 10 heck, top 5 arguably player who is not in his prime but had one of the best "senior" seasons since KAJ.
2. Spurs have had the best record over the past 3 seasons
3. They have a all-time top 3 coach (in my years I go : 1. PJ 2. Riley 3.Popovich)
4. A player playing at an MVP level
5. Proven vets A la Fisher, Horry and Battier (though he plays dumb at times) Manu is proven at that role ...

SO my question is was this run more likely given the above or the loss to the Grizz?
Spurs may over achieved a bit record-wise but they also under-achieved in the playoffs a bit.

Not saying dont be excited, not saying dont be impressed ...but I am not completely shocked. I predicted at least one WCF run out of Tim before he rtired you were blessed with two PLUS A Finals run ... if he closes this out even if Parker does the heavy lifting the most memorable momenst will come there. Otherwise this whole playoffs has not been very memorable. Curry was hot for a few games, but it's been the James show and Spurs have quietly matched them in the West.

1. Prior to the season, no one expected Duncan to have the kind of resurgence he did. And all the while, we feared his age would catch up with him at some point. Other than a mid-season injury, it never did. And the fact he outplayed the best frontline in the league that featured the DPOY at 37 years old was indeed a memorable moment in his career, and for Spurfan overall.

2. And that best regular season record ended with a disappointing playoff run every time. So no one expected this year to be different. It's why you saw so many knee-jerk meltdowns from Spurfan. We just kind of expected something bad to happen. We thought the Lakers upset win over the Spurs near the end of the season was a sign of things to come. After getting swept by the rival Suns, 8 and the backdoor sweep, it was almost expected the next let down would be losing to the Kobe-less Lakers in the first round. That didn't happen, so now we thought Golden State would be the team to stick the knife in. After that, Memphis. So for a fanbase that has been cynical the past 5 years, the Spurs reaching the Finals is considered something of an over-achievement.

3. Coaching can only take you so far. Spurs lack the superstar talent compared to other top teams.

4. And a player who was never known for really "stepping up" in the playoffs. He did in the WCF. His best playoff series ever. Just for that reason, this season is already somewhat memorable.

5. Spurs actually don't have any bench players other than Manu who are "proven" vets. After him, it's Neal, Bonner, and Diaw, the first two of which make us cringe when they check in.

All things considered, this is a pretty memorable season for Spurs fans. But I understand how a general NBA fan wouldn't give a fuck, since there's really no overall selling point to draw them in.

dunkman
05-28-2013, 04:23 PM
Well, at least they made the playoffs.

Killakobe81
05-28-2013, 04:31 PM
1. Prior to the season, no one expected Duncan to have the kind of resurgence he did. And all the while, we feared his age would catch up with him at some point. Other than a mid-season injury, it never did. And the fact he outplayed the best frontline in the league that featured the DPOY at 37 years old was indeed a memorable moment in his career, and for Spurfan overall.

2. And that best regular season record ended with a disappointing playoff run every time. So no one expected this year to be different. It's why you saw so many knee-jerk meltdowns from Spurfan. We just kind of expected something bad to happen. We thought the Lakers upset win over the Spurs near the end of the season was a sign of things to come. After getting swept by the rival Suns, 8 and the backdoor sweep, it was almost expected the next let down would be losing to the Kobe-less Lakers in the first round. That didn't happen, so now we thought Golden State would be the team to stick the knife in. After that, Memphis. So for a fanbase that has been cynical the past 5 years, the Spurs reaching the Finals is considered something of an over-achievement.

3. Coaching can only take you so far. Spurs lack the superstar talent compared to other top teams.

4. And a player who was never known for really "stepping up" in the playoffs. He did in the WCF. His best playoff series ever. Just for that reason, this season is already somewhat memorable.

5. Spurs actually don't have any bench players other than Manu who are "proven" vets. After him, it's Neal, Bonner, and Diaw, the first two of which make us cringe when they check in.

All things considered, this is a pretty memorable season for Spurs fans. But I understand how a general NBA fan wouldn't give a fuck, since there's really no overall selling point to draw them in.

I know it's semantics but let me give you some examples:

1. Spurs in 2005 was more memorable that 2007 because the Finals opponent was the defending champs and I will REMEMBER Horry's shot to force OT vs. Detroit.
i can remember Rasheed leaving Horry and the look on his face when Horry splashed that "j" . 2007 was more impressive (results) they swept LEbron who may end up being the GOAT ...but I remember 2005 even though I am not a Spurs fan

2. Lakers in 2009 were a better team than 2010 and even though rox pushed us to 7 games 2010 had the MWP put back, Kobe slapping Gentry on the ass and the MWP big 3 vs. the celts and Fisher's lay-up in Boston ...memorable moments.

SO I am not saying Spur fans shouldnt enjoy this, the run is impressive just saying still waiting for a few more moments (outside of Manu's jumper) to really put a bow on this run ...and dont give me that aww shucks Spurs are just lucky to be here or it's a success either way ... you win or you lose these. There is no moral victories tbh ...Sure getting there against a tough West is impressive but the goal is to finish it. It will taste far less sweet if you dont win. When they show .4 every playoffs that is cool but I much prefer ... HOrry ...for the win ... YES!!!! Why? Because we finished it. (that and the Kobe pass to shaq to nail the Blazers are my favorite Laker playoff moments. Finals it's Magic's baby hook, Worthy's dive to save the inbounds play and Magic's first Finals MVP)

Mugen
05-28-2013, 04:38 PM
not reading through these walls of text so I'm not sure if this is even the correct thread for the below.

But I'd take the following teams in a series over the '13 Heat tbh:

-'01 Lakers
-'04 Pistons
-'05 Spurs
-'07 Spurs
-'08 Celtics

LeBron is the best player out of all those teams except for maybe an 01 Shaq but I don't feel comfortable counting on a gimpy Wade and Bosh in a matchup against any of the above teams tbh.

DMC
05-28-2013, 04:42 PM
Thanks Lakers for getting 7th seed. You almost guaranteed the Spurs a trip to the WCF. Had you missed the playoffs, the Spurs would have had a tougher road.