PDA

View Full Version : Bulls: Would Michael Jordan have succeeded in this era?..

HarlemHeat37
05-28-2013, 12:14 PM
Would Jordan have been able to get away with playing a part in the murder of his father in today's era of social media, technology, advanced forensics, snitching, etc?..

DUNCANownsKOBE
05-28-2013, 12:24 PM
I say yes. Both JR Smith and the former first lady of the United States played a part in the murder of a "friend", yet both of them receive little to no criticism for it. Today's era of snitching is even further reason why he would get away with it, as he's the type to snitch on somebody else to get himself off the hook as he's the poster boy of self-indulgence and fucking others over for his own gain.

The perception we'd have would depend on the media coverage. We've seen how powerful media bias is as it's capable of demonizing a $6,000,000 charity contribution (Lebron) while it's also capable of portraying a gangbanger who cheats on the SAT and quits on his team as a humble role model (D-Rose). Marvin Harrison is another example of an athlete protected by the media as he runs an entire underground ring of illegal activity yet the media doesn't cover it because it's hellbent on portraying Marvin Harrison as a humble class act.

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-28-2013, 12:25 PM
I doubt he would have gotten that deep into the mess. Shit would have come to light by the time they repeated, he would have pledged to go to Gambler's Anonymous and gotten clean to appease his sponsors. Big teary press conference and everything. And he still would have skull fucked today's league on the court.

CitizenDwayne
05-28-2013, 12:29 PM
Ray Lewis seems to be doing fine these days.

midnightpulp
05-28-2013, 12:49 PM
I say yes. Both JR Smith and the former first lady of the United States played a part in the murder of a "friend", yet both of them receive little to no criticism for it. Today's era of snitching is even further reason why he would get away with it, as he's the type to snitch on somebody else to get himself off the hook as he's the poster boy of self-indulgence and fucking others over for his own gain.

The perception we'd have would depend on the media coverage. We've seen how powerful media bias is as it's capable of demonizing a $6,000,000 charity contribution (Lebron) while it's also capable of portraying a gangbanger who cheats on the SAT and quits on his team as a humble role model (D-Rose). Marvin Harrison is another example of an athlete protected by the media as he runs an entire underground ring of illegal activity yet the media doesn't cover it because it's hellbent on portraying Marvin Harrison as a humble class act.

Marvin Harrison :lol

Karl Malone benefited from similar media handling back in the day, advertised as a good 'ol country boy who played hard and stayed out of trouble.

AaronY
05-28-2013, 01:48 PM
http://i.imgur.com/7RxRmTa.jpg

lefty
05-28-2013, 01:52 PM
of course

he is the GOAT

He could kill Lebron and get away with it

skut_farkus
05-28-2013, 02:04 PM
If the president can get away with Benghazi. Jordan would have no issues

Drachen
05-28-2013, 03:08 PM
Marvin Harrison :lol

Karl Malone benefited from similar media handling back in the day, advertised as a good 'ol country boy who played hard and stayed out of trouble.

The fact that people are still surprised that he is a two time deadbeat dad/pederast is a testament to this.

Killakobe81
05-28-2013, 03:09 PM
LOL Lefty with the goods ...
MJ would Lord over the era he helped "father" ...

If science could give me a dream matchup would love to see a prime Mj vs. Lebron mathcup ... Achilles vs. MJ is too similar THIS matchup would be a true contrast ultimate speed and quicks vs speed and power.

spurraider21
05-28-2013, 03:13 PM
mj would foul out in 15 minutes with the way they blow whistles now. physical defense back then = hacking today,

people always like to point and say "modern players wouldn't survive the physicality of previous eras" without realizing how much contact was allowed back then actually made it easier to defend. nowadays you can barely breathe on a guy and are expected to shut them down while they're getting touch calls. all those "phsyical defender" in the previous eras would find themselves unable to play a full game without fouling out

Thebesteva
05-28-2013, 03:15 PM
Spurstalk forum logic:

Dirk Nowitzki, Kobe, Lebron can win championships in this era but not MJ.....MKAY

midnightpulp
05-28-2013, 03:47 PM
Spurstalk forum logic:

Dirk Nowitzki, Kobe, Lebron can win championships in this era but not MJ.....MKAY

Nah, Harlem ain't disputing MJ's chances of succeeding in this era. He's posing the question would MJ be able to succeed in getting away with his transgressions in today's interconnected world.

Back then, MJ losing 5 million at the blackjack table would probably at best make a tabloid and not really be taken seriously by anyone. Today, it would be all over twitter in a nanosecond.

Aztecfan03
05-28-2013, 03:51 PM
mj would foul out in 15 minutes with the way they blow whistles now. physical defense back then = hacking today,

people always like to point and say "modern players wouldn't survive the physicality of previous eras" without realizing how much contact was allowed back then actually made it easier to defend. nowadays you can barely breathe on a guy and are expected to shut them down while they're getting touch calls. all those "phsyical defender" in the previous eras would find themselves unable to play a full game without fouling out

Thank you captain obvious. But it would have also conversely made it tougher on offense.

Btw, I'm sure many of those players would have been able to adapt. Actually they would have never played like that to begin with if they were in this era/

spurraider21
05-28-2013, 04:08 PM
Thank you captain obvious. But it would have also conversely made it tougher on offense.

Btw, I'm sure many of those players would have been able to adapt. Actually they would have never played like that to begin with if they were in this era/

its always so one sided though. like "its easy for those guys to adapt to todays game, but the guys in todays game would struggle to adapt to the previous eras." i don't think both sides are being given a fair shake tbh. i would assume it cancels out. could you imagine lebron playing D back then? holy shit

MarioSpeedwagon
05-28-2013, 05:16 PM
This was disproved years ago. Sam Smith speculated about in one of his books, but later admitted it was patent nonsense and that he was embarrassed to have ever brought it up and he hates MJ more than anyone. The two guys that killed Jordan's dad would have definitely come clean by now too, these weren't exactly old school Omerta type hardened criminals just a couple of crackhead criminals on the loose. I know it seems hard to believe but there are are scary ass African Americans out there who will kill and steal at the drop of a hat for little reason and with zero to no provocation.

AaronY
05-28-2013, 06:36 PM
I know it seems hard to believe but there are are scary ass African Americans out there who will kill and steal at the drop of a hat for little reason and with zero to no provocation.Not buying it..we all know negroes aren't naturally prone to violence so if they did commit a violent act you can bet your damn ass there was some complicated, convoluted theory and that it involved tons of planning and preparation..

hater
05-28-2013, 06:39 PM
:lmao at this thread

Jordan could have pulled the trigger himself vs his bastard father and he would still be hands down the most marketable sports figure inthe entire universe

can you imagine the dicksucking from the Obama admin?

Jordan would not only be aquited from murder, he would be given a medal and party at the white house for downing a terror threat :lol

:lmao the the thinking in this thread. MJ + Social Media would have catapulted the NBA over the NFL and other leagues IMO. can you imagine the olympics in china with Jordan? :lmao

can u even imagine how many twitter followers a prime MJ would have???

the internet would have collapsed on its knees.

:lol this thread

DMC
05-28-2013, 06:39 PM
MJ is winning. He's making more than any of these cucks.

Captivus
05-28-2013, 08:25 PM
Rose-Jordan-Noah
Wade-Lebron-Bosh

Ontopic:Twitter would go crazy. Jordan was in the news everyday back then, imagine now.
One thing that I can the tell the US fans, is that outside the US (at least in Argentina and I assume everywhere else) everybody knows who Jordan is, but unless you are an NBA fan, you dont know about his father, the gambling, etc. Twitter would have solved that and his impact would have been bigger, the good and the bad.

Rogue
05-28-2013, 11:56 PM
Jordan wouldn't have succeeded even in his days w/o pippen tbh. nigga also need superfriends in order to succeed in this era

Chinook
05-29-2013, 12:00 AM
Prime Jordan without the rings would be considered the second or third best player in the NBA today. Maybe fourth, depending on if Kobe hype would have existed without Jordan preceding him.

Spurtacular
03-13-2016, 04:03 PM
Would Jordan have been able to get away with playing a part in the murder of his father in today's era of social media, technology, advanced forensics, snitching, etc?..

Yes. We like to think that we control our fates with social media; but the truth is that the corporate media controls the narrative still.

DMC
03-13-2016, 06:26 PM
Yes. He's the best two way player ever. Jordan wasn't copying Jordan, didn't grow up watching Jordan. A cell can only be copied so many times, and Jordan was copied one too many and a cancer resulted.

Thread
03-13-2016, 06:52 PM
Yes. He's the best two way player ever. Jordan wasn't copying Jordan, didn't grow up watching Jordan. A cell can only be copied so many times, and Jordan was copied one too many and a cancer resulted.

Though Jordan did get kicked out of the NBA for a year.

~O~
03-13-2016, 07:01 PM
I don't know. He would be the best shooting guard but teams would play him differently according to the evolution in play and rules of this entire game. He's also not be in the shape current players are due to the workout regiments that also evolved. He would have to eat much differently. The pace of the game is far faster than it was during Jordan's era. Especially the pace of the best two teams right now. He'd have to adjust to the pace of the game. Most of all, they would look for him to score like they did LeBron and limit everyone else. There are more players as athletic or even more athletic than him in this era.

We know no one can win alone. Iverson was alone, James was alone.

Most of all, it depends what Jordan you're talking about. The 37ppg Jordan...the Prime Jordan with 3 championships? The defensive player of the year Jordan? There's different Jordans for different seasons.

If you're talking about Jordan at the prime of his career? You're damn right he would.

ezau
03-13-2016, 09:39 PM
I don't know. He would be the best shooting guard but teams would play him differently according to the evolution in play and rules of this entire game. He's also not be in the shape current players are due to the workout regiments that also evolved. He would have to eat much differently. The pace of the game is far faster than it was during Jordan's era. Especially the pace of the best two teams right now. He'd have to adjust to the pace of the game. Most of all, they would look for him to score like they did LeBron and limit everyone else. There are more players as athletic or even more athletic than him in this era.

We know no one can win alone. Iverson was alone, James was alone.

Most of all, it depends what Jordan you're talking about. The 37ppg Jordan...the Prime Jordan with 3 championships? The defensive player of the year Jordan? There's different Jordans for different seasons.

If you're talking about Jordan at the prime of his career? You're damn right he would.

Prime Jordan would average over 40 PPG in this no hand-check era :lol Teams would probably dare him to shoot threes because that's the only area of his game that he wasn't very good at. Overall, he'd still kick everyone's ass if he were playing today.

baseline bum
03-13-2016, 09:46 PM
dammit should have read Harlem's op

Kawhitstorm
03-13-2016, 10:07 PM

Donald Trumf is about to become president by keeping it real in today's era of social media, technology, advanced forensics, snitching, etc.

He might not have succeeded in a PC bitch made nation like Canada considering what happen to Chris Farley.:wakeup

Molotov
03-14-2016, 04:22 AM

Jordan could have pulled the trigger himself vs his bastard father and he would still be hands down the most marketable sports figure inthe entire universe

Jordan would not only be aquited from murder, he would be given a medal and party at the white house for downing a terror threat :lol

:lmao the the thinking in this thread. MJ + Social Media would have catapulted the NBA over the NFL and other leagues IMO. can you imagine the olympics in china with Jordan? :lmao

:lol:lol:lol

hater
03-14-2016, 07:24 AM

:lmao

DMC
03-14-2016, 07:33 AM
Though Jordan did get kicked out of the NBA for a year.

I don't believe that. You don't get kicked out then invited back. You also don't get kicked out without someone leaking it. Also, the team owner doesn't honor your contract while you're "kicked out". Michael was paid by the Bulls to play baseball for a team owned by Reinsdorf. If I was a speculator, which I'm not, but if I were, I'd say MJ wanted to play elsewhere like Lebron did and Jerry talked him out of it, saying "take a couple years off, I'll pay you still". It's a smart decision for Jerry because he held onto the greatest of all time and hit another 3peat. So the year off, big deal. Kobe has taken 3 years off.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
03-14-2016, 08:00 AM
No handchecking. No hard fouls. Defensive 3 seconds.

Jordan would have dropped 40 ppg at least one time if he played in this era during his prime.

lefty
03-14-2016, 08:06 AM
No handchecking. No hard fouls. Defensive 3 seconds.

Jordan would have dropped 40 ppg at least one time if he played in this era during his prime.
crofl he could average that back in the days

More like 55 ppg in today's NBA

:lmao today's NBA

03-14-2016, 08:36 AM
Why is everyone ignoring the OP, tbh :lol

03-14-2016, 08:37 AM
:lmao today's NBA

Indazone
03-14-2016, 10:34 AM
So, his Airness has laced the shoes back up and hit the court.?!??

During the post-game interview with Kemba Walker following their victory against the Rockets, he disclosed that Michael Jordan was occasionally practicing with the team and told the team members that everyone must be ready to play and contribute when coach Clifford asks them to. It seems that the Hornets players are taking the call of the greatest basketball player of all time to action and it is doing wonders for the team.

http://masterherald.com/jeremy-lin-more-than-willing-to-give-up-scoring-to-a-teammate-whos-on-a-shooting-streak/37125/2/