PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Robinson....yes, please.

HemisfairArena
05-30-2013, 08:48 PM
I know we are in the Finals but we have a lot of time before the first game so lets discuss something else...like a trade. The Rockets are looking to get rid of Thomas Robinson...last years #5 overall pick(a power forward)...to free up cap space to get D.Howard. I would absolutely love the Spurs to go for this kid and let him learn under Duncan for the next two years. Our new big 3 in 2015 would be Leonard/Robinson/Splitter....with, hopefully, Parker playing a high level at the point. Houston is just looking to dump this kid for capspace and its time to rectify them getting over on us with Scola and taking Robinson off their hands and watching him become a stud. the kid only played 15 minutes a game and still nearly averaded 5 and 5. Under Pop and Duncan coaching...the kid will blossom. Duncan's heir apparant for the taking right up I-10.

MANUNG-Ginobili
05-30-2013, 08:53 PM
I haven't seen this guy playing but I have a great feeling that he plays better than the turd tower...

spurraider21
05-30-2013, 08:54 PM
If they're looking for a straight salary dump we can theoretically give them Bonners non-guaranteed contract and the salaries would fit

SpurPadre
05-30-2013, 08:54 PM
It's not a good sign when the Kings find you expendable for Patrick Peterson. Pass.

Darius McCrary
05-30-2013, 08:55 PM
Houston trades only go one way: Spurs getting screwed.

stephen jackson
05-30-2013, 09:35 PM
Houston trades only go one way: Spurs getting screwed.

ehh yeah scola burned us but overall hes fell off and never hurt us in the playoffs.

hopefully we get t-rob

exstatic
05-30-2013, 09:43 PM
He's fucking terrible.

If you want to steal a GOOD young big, offer Memphis something they need for something we need:
Green, DeColo and Bonner (cap relief) for Ed Davis and Tayshaun.

Darius McCrary
05-30-2013, 09:52 PM
He's fucking terrible.

If you want to steal a GOOD young big, offer Memphis something they need for something we need:

You can't be serious. Tayshaun would not get one minute on the court with Pop placing premium on shooting, and Ed Davis has shown nothing so far.

exstatic
05-30-2013, 10:00 PM
You can't be serious. Tayshaun would not get one minute on the court with Pop placing premium on shooting, and Ed Davis has shown nothing so far.

PERs
Ed Davis 17.8
DeJuan Blair 14.7 *
Matt Bonner 11.9 *
Thomas Robinson 11.0

*turd tower

Career 3G% for Tayshaun: 37. This year: 40

Any more mistakes you need to type?

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-30-2013, 10:01 PM
He's fucking terrible.

If there's a deal to be made for Ed Davis, I agree that the Spurs definitely need to look into it. But I don't know if I'd give up Green though.

benefactor
05-30-2013, 10:03 PM
Thomas Robinson Trade Target Thread:

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192314

apalisoc_9
05-30-2013, 10:13 PM
6 more days of BS threads.

Chinook
05-30-2013, 10:21 PM
He's fucking terrible.

Green's better than Prince. I'd rather sign another two-guard and move Green over than take on Prince's deal. I'm intrigued by Davis, but I'd rather get Robinson for Bonner than give up anything or value for Davis.

PÒÓCH
05-30-2013, 10:28 PM
He's a dud, I watched him while he was in Kansas and then I followed him while he was with the Kings. The guy is Immature and one dimensional, plus I question his basketball I.Q., Other than rebounding and some points in the paint I'd much rather keep Blair around than to offer that clown a contract with a team like the Spurs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjELiWVcf_c

exstatic
05-30-2013, 10:50 PM
Green's better than Prince. I'd rather sign another two-guard and move Green over than take on Prince's deal. I'm intrigued by Davis, but I'd rather get Robinson for Bonner than give up anything or value for Davis.

...and Davis is better than any other big we've drafted since Duncan. You gotta give to get.

Start Tay at the 3, slide Kawhi to the 2. We're just as good defensively, and longer, and Tay/Kaw aren't any less creative at the starting wings than Kaw/Danny. You still have Manu off the bench to score/create with either of them, and he never has to play the 3 again. You also get an above average big man of size who is 23, almost 24. His PERs for his first three years were 15.8,14.2(lockout year), 17.8.

50 cent
05-30-2013, 10:56 PM
Tayshaun is fucking done.

exstatic
05-30-2013, 11:08 PM
Tayshaun is fucking done.

He can still D, and other than our series, shot well this year. We don't need him to be a star, just pretty much fill the 3 and D roll that Danny did.

tesseractive
05-30-2013, 11:10 PM
...and Davis is better than any other big we've drafted since Duncan. You gotta give to get.

Start Tay at the 3, slide Kawhi to the 2. We're just as good defensively, and longer, and Tay/Kaw aren't any less creative at the starting wings than Kaw/Danny. You still have Manu off the bench to score/create with either of them, and he never has to play the 3 again. You also get an above average big man of size who is 23, almost 24. His PERs for his first three years were 15.8,14.2(lockout year), 17.8.
I like some of your takes quite a bit, but I honestly don't see how you could have watched the same Memphis series I did and still come to the conclusion that Tayshaun could play for us at this point in his career. Did you not see all the plays where Danny and Kawhi didn't even pretend to guard him and just camped out in the lane waiting for Z-Bo?

exstatic
05-30-2013, 11:14 PM
I like some of your takes quite a bit, but I honestly don't see how you could have watched the same Memphis series I did and still come to the conclusion that Tayshaun could play for us at this point in his career. Did you not see all the plays where Danny and Kawhi didn't even pretend to guard him and just camped out in the lane waiting for Z-Bo?

Not sure how we got away with that, but I'm OK with it. Fact: he shot 40% from 3 this year, and 37% for his career. If his shot needs a tuneup, we've got the guy.

Darius McCrary
05-30-2013, 11:15 PM
PERs
Ed Davis 17.8
DeJuan Blair 14.7 *
Matt Bonner 11.9 *
Thomas Robinson 11.0

*turd tower

Career 3G% for Tayshaun: 37. This year: 40

Any more mistakes you need to type?

So essentially Tayshaun would have the lowest career 3 percentage out of any other option on the roster, cool, knew i was on the right track.

Also PER is garbage without considering sample size.

cutewizard
05-30-2013, 11:15 PM
Can we get Nocioni??

lol

exstatic
05-30-2013, 11:38 PM
So essentially Tayshaun would have the lowest career 3 percentage out of any other option on the roster, cool, knew i was on the right track.

Also PER is garbage without considering sample size.

Two important things to remember about PER are that it's per-minute and is pace-adjusted.

Because it's a per-minute measure, it allows us to compare, say, Steve Blake and Derek Fisher, even though there is a disparity in their minutes played.

Time to open your mouth and change feet yet? Sample size doesn't mean shit.

Chinook
05-30-2013, 11:39 PM

Davis isn't better than Splitter. He wouldn't start for the Spurs unless they decided not to bring Splitter back. Prince would be the back up three while Baynes would be sitting in a suit. I see no reason why that would be an improvement to the current team. I'd probably take Green over Davis straight up right now, as he's a great fit for this system already and still has some upside left. Davis has potential, but he gets overhyped too much. He's not a sure-fire star, and he wouldn't improve the Spurs' chances of competing anytime soon.

I know most people think Leonard's a guard defender, but he's not. He can only stay on points for a short period of time, and he isn't the help defender (not off-ball, but actual leaving his man to help) that Green is. The two of them make a much better defensive duo than Leonard and Prince would, because Green can cover ones-threes while Leonard does big twos-small fours. At best, Prince can cover threes and small fours, so there'd be little help for Parker when it comes to guarding most small guards. Simply put, replace Green with Prince, and the Spurs may not have beaten the Warriors, Davis or no Davis.

Chinook
05-30-2013, 11:44 PM

I don't know enough about the math of PER to disagree with you, but per-minute and pace-adjusted stats are still susceptible to low sample sizes. Someone could make a small play in a short period of time, and the PER may be really high for that play. But that doesn't mean it's an honest indicator of how the player would perform over a larger number of plays. If anything, Hollinger is saying PER ignores sample size, rather than accounts for it. That's not a good thing for accuracy.

I'm just going off that quote you posted, so forgive me if he clarified at some other point.

exstatic
05-30-2013, 11:46 PM
Davis isn't better than Splitter. He wouldn't start for the Spurs unless they decided not to bring Splitter back. Prince would be the back up three while Baynes would be sitting in a suit. I see no reason why that would be an improvement to the current team. I'd probably take Green over Davis straight up right now, as he's a great fit for this system already and still has some upside left. Davis has potential, but he gets overhyped too much. He's not a sure-fire star, and he wouldn't improve the Spurs' chances of competing anytime soon.

I know most people think Leonard's a guard defender, but he's not. He can only stay on points for a short period of time, and he isn't the help defender (not off-ball, but actual leaving his man to help) that Green is. The two of them make a much better defensive duo than Leonard and Prince would, because Green can cover ones-threes while Leonard does big twos-small fours. At best, Prince can cover threes and small fours, so there'd be little help for Parker when it comes to guarding most small guards. Simply put, replace Green with Prince, and the Spurs may not have beaten the Warriors, Davis or no Davis.

You're right about Splitter, but he may well be gone. He was also older when he hit the NBA than Davis is now as a 3 year vet. Splitter is not and cannot be the future big for the Spurs. He might play another 6 years with normal care and fitness. Davis could play another 12.

Chinook
05-30-2013, 11:52 PM
You're right about Splitter, but he may well be gone. He was also older when he hit the NBA than Davis is now as a 3 year vet. Splitter is not and cannot be the future big for the Spurs. He might play another 6 years with normal care and fitness. Davis could play another 12.

I agree with you about Splitter's long-term future. But as I said in one of the draft threads, the Spurs aren't going into a completely different phase after Duncan and Ginobili retires. There's going to be about a three- or four-year window in which Parker is still going to be playing pretty well, and players like Splitter and Green are going to be at the top of their games. The Spurs will still be a playoff team in those years, and I doubt the Spurs' front office will try to scrap that to rebuild faster. So I think any young players the Spurs acquire now should be picked up with their near-future in mind instead of distant-future. I think Green will be a good back-court mate with Parker for the rest of Tony's career, and to me, that's worth not picking up Davis, even if Ed will be a star in five to seven years. That doesn't mean they should avoid picking up talent like Davis if they can get it for a good deal, but only that they should try to remain competitive for as long as possible over sacrificing current success for future potential.

Darius McCrary
05-30-2013, 11:59 PM

I missed the part in hollingers quote about 37% meaning greater than 37%

Darius McCrary
05-31-2013, 12:00 AM
I mean surely the spurs starting SG would be of greater impact than their backup PF, but that's just my opinion i could be wrong.

SanDiegoSpursFan
05-31-2013, 12:09 AM
I'm positive that sample size is always important. Being adjusted per-minute doesn't mean that sample size doesn't matter.

Ed Davis is better than Robinson at pretty much everything though.

exstatic
05-31-2013, 12:15 AM
I missed the part in hollingers quote about 37% meaning greater than 37%

Did you miss the part about that being our team 3 point average this year? Your drama and subpar sarcasm would lead someone to think he shot 7% and had no business here.

Chinook
05-31-2013, 12:17 AM
I'm positive that sample size is always important. Being adjusted per-minute doesn't mean that sample size doesn't matter.

Ed Davis is better than Robinson at pretty much everything though.

Agree completely. We're not arguing about who's better out of those two, though. It's about if getting Davis for Green and De Colo (and having to take on Prince's deal) is better than getting Robinson for free. I'd rather have Robinson, as there's little downside and still significant upside.

exstatic
05-31-2013, 12:17 AM
I mean surely the spurs starting SG would be of greater impact than their backup PF, but that's just my opinion i could be wrong.

Jermaine O'Neal was a backup for 4 years in Portland before he starred. He blew up completely when given the chance. SA tried to get him several times, and I'm sure they would have traded any of their late 1990s, early 2000s starting shooting guards for him.

exstatic
05-31-2013, 12:20 AM
Agree completely. We're not arguing about who's better out of those two, though. It's about if getting Davis for Green and De Colo (and having to take on Prince's deal) is better than getting Robinson for free. I'd rather have Robinson, as there's little downside and still significant upside.

He was traded midway through his rookie year for a guy picked 10 spots later who was a backup, and he played LESS in Houston than in Sacto, in spite of the fact that their cupboard was essentially bare of PFs after than trade, with Morris and Patterson going out.

Has it occurred to anyone that Sacramento realized he sucked, and now Houston is having that same realization?

DOS CHAINZ
05-31-2013, 12:20 AM
Prince is wack & would rather have Thomas Robinson if the price is right. I wouldn't trade Bonner though. He plays too big of a role for us during the regular season & knows the system.

exstatic
05-31-2013, 12:23 AM
Prince is wack & would rather have Thomas Robinson if the price is right. I wouldn't trade Bonner though. He plays too big of a role for us during the regular season & knows the system.
Even though I hate Robinson, and don't want the trade, there is no way you get him without Bonner. He's the cap relief that Houston is seeking to pursue FAs this summer.

Chinook
05-31-2013, 12:27 AM
He was traded midway through his rookie year for a guy picked 10 spots later who was a backup, and he played LESS in Houston than in Sacto, in spite of the fact that their cupboard was essentially bare of PFs after than trade, with Morris and Patterson going out.

Has it occurred to anyone that Sacramento realized he sucked, and now Houston is having that same realization?

Yeah, but we can look at how the Kings treated JJ Hickson to see they don't really know how to develop talent. Houston seems to trade a big every year, so it doesn't surprise me that they'd want to move Robinson after just getting him. They'll probably try to trade Asik this off-season, too. That doesn't mean he doesn't suck; it just means that his fate is not sealed.

So I'd take a chance on him becoming a Hickson. Worst case, he's a one-year deal that can be traded during the season. Best case, he'll be a solid-to-better big for at least the next three seasons.

TheyCallMePro
05-31-2013, 12:28 AM
Oh god just glancing through a few posts I see Tayshaun Prince for Danny Green.....

Seriously dude. Danny is 10 years younger than Prince, twice as good of a defender, a better shooter, and a better teammate. You've got to be just trolling.

And Ed Davis? Seriously? He's done nothing in his 3 years in the NBA. Zilch. Why would we want to take on a project on a veteran team? Even the Raptors didn't want him. Jeesh.

SanDiegoSpursFan
05-31-2013, 12:29 AM
I think Prince is declining, so I'd rather keep Green and De Colo and get Robinson for free. Prince's 3pt% is high, but this is the highest its been in 10 years AND he only shoots them once a game. Danny is 7 years younger, shoots the 3 at a higher percentage at 5 attempts per game, and is a better defender at this stage of their careers.
Davis is a lot better than Robinson though. But for some reason, his RAPM numbers are garbage. Like bottom of the league bad.

Chinook
05-31-2013, 12:30 AM
Even though I hate Robinson, and don't want the trade, there is no way you get him without Bonner. He's the cap relief that Houston is seeking to pursue FAs this summer.

The Spurs can trade for him once they get their cap space on the first day of free agency. If they do that, they wouldn't interfere with Houston's attempt to get Howard. If anything, they'd interfere with their own ability to acquire free agents. I'd rather them trade Bonner, but Houston may just want to wait until July.

exstatic
05-31-2013, 12:30 AM
Yeah, but we can look at how the Kings treated JJ Hickson to see they don't really know how to develop talent. Houston seems to trade a big every year, so it doesn't surprise me that they'd want to move Robinson after just getting him. They'll probably try to trade Asik this off-season, too. That doesn't mean he doesn't suck; it just means that his fate is not sealed.

So I'd take a chance on him becoming a Hickson. Worst case, he's a one-year deal that can be traded during the season. Best case, he'll be a solid-to-better big for at least the next three seasons.
:lol They only had Hickson for like a year. He was drafted by Cleveland and came over in the Casspi trade. If Hickson is your aspiration, it explains your love for the low ceiling that is Thomas Robinson.

exstatic
05-31-2013, 12:33 AM
The Spurs can trade for him once they get their cap space on the first day of free agency. If they do that, they wouldn't interfere with Houston's attempt to get Howard. If anything, they'd interfere with their own ability to acquire free agents. I'd rather them trade Bonner, but Houston may just want to wait until July.

If I know Houston, they're going to want to figure in some picks and do it during the draft. Someone will oblige with an ending contract that is like Bonner's, mostly unguaranteed. I doubt Robinson is a Rocket the day after the draft.

Chinook
05-31-2013, 12:34 AM
:lol They only had Hickson for like a year. He was drafted by Cleveland and came over in the Casspi trade. If Hickson is your aspiration, it explains your love for the low ceiling that is Thomas Robinson.

I'd take Hickson for $3 Million for three years any day of the week. I brought him up because the Kings actually gave up a first for him and cut him that same season. They've only developed one big (Thompson), and they've failed several other times.

Chinook
05-31-2013, 12:36 AM
If I know Houston, they're going to want to figure in some picks and do it during the draft. Someone will oblige with an ending contract that is like Bonner's, mostly unguaranteed. I doubt Robinson is a Rocket the day after the draft.

I agree. I was just saying that the Spurs could use cap space on him eventually, which is what I think the poster you quoted originally on this subject meant.

exstatic
05-31-2013, 07:13 AM
I'd take Hickson for $3 Million for three years any day of the week. I brought him up because the Kings actually gave up a first for him and cut him that same season. They've only developed one big (Thompson), and they've failed several other times.

You might, but I guaranteed you Pop/RC wouldn't. He's low BBIQ, and plays no defense. Have you notices that Portland doesn't seem at all interested in re-signing him, either?

Darius McCrary
05-31-2013, 10:28 AM
Did you miss the part about that being our team 3 point average this year? Your drama and subpar sarcasm would lead someone to think he shot 7% and had no business here.And would that average go up or down if you took out Danny Green, Matt Bonner, and replaced them with a 37% shooter? Especially when you consider volume of 3 pointers made between Tay, Danny, and Mamba?!
:rollin Can't believe this is a real conversation, you gotta be trollin, right?

pad300
05-31-2013, 10:45 AM
He's fucking terrible.

There is no F'ing way we would trade Green as part of that. You are a jackass to propose it. Green is doing very well and is on a very friendly contract. Quit with the STUPID!

Cry Havoc
05-31-2013, 10:53 AM

Danny Green got cut by the Cavs and passed on by 28 other teams. He's now starting for the Western Conference champions. I'm not saying that Robinson is decent or salvageable, but to pretend that other GMs/coaches know WTF they're doing as far as player potential is not accurate in the slightest. Kawhi should have been a top 3 pick, almost any team would love to have Green right now, and let's not forget how we landed Parker and Manu.

Cry Havoc
05-31-2013, 11:04 AM
I'd actually like to see Ed Davis work out a bit with our staff. He's only 23, lots of upside.

spurraider21
05-31-2013, 11:28 AM
Robinson is big, athletic, talented. I wouldn't mind having him over Bonner. That said, Bonner has done everything we could ask of him during these playoffs, so now everybody is getting all attached to him. Realistically speaking, this trade should definitely be looked into. His offense might be Tiago-esque, where he's not going to be a pure back to the basket scorer, but would do better in a pick and roll where he can use his athletecism. I'd also take his toughness/rebounding and his age over somebody like Bonner.

tesseractive
05-31-2013, 12:38 PM
Not sure how we got away with that, but I'm OK with it. Fact: he shot 40% from 3 this year, and 37% for his career. If his shot needs a tuneup, we've got the guy.
So, let's see: a guy who shoots the long ball for a good percentage in February, but who good teams can leave open in the playoffs with no real repercussions. It seems like I've seen that movie before, and I have to say, I want no part of the sequel.

tesseractive
05-31-2013, 12:45 PM
Danny Green got cut by the Cavs and passed on by 28 other teams. He's now starting for the Western Conference champions. I'm not saying that Robinson is decent or salvageable, but to pretend that other GMs/coaches know WTF they're doing as far as player potential is not accurate in the slightest. Kawhi should have been a top 3 pick, almost any team would love to have Green right now, and let's not forget how we landed Parker and Manu.
Getting dumped by Sacto isn't a red flag, because the Sacto front office is awful. Getting shopped by Houston so quickly, on the other hand, is a huge red flag. Houston can certainly make mistakes, but they have a better eye for talent than the majority of the league, and I have to believe that there would be different names being floated if they still liked his potential.

Raven
05-31-2013, 01:25 PM
he sucks so bad, no use in trading for megabusts. He has the size and athleticism to be a starting pf, but he has the brain of a turtle and the hands of an arthritis plagued Kwane Brown.

Chinook
05-31-2013, 01:28 PM
Getting dumped by Sacto isn't a red flag, because the Sacto front office is awful. Getting shopped by Houston so quickly, on the other hand, is a huge red flag. Houston can certainly make mistakes, but they have a better eye for talent than the majority of the league, and I have to believe that there would be different names being floated if they still liked his potential.

Like who? Houston has a pretty bare-bones roster going into next season, and they need to have room for Howard. If anything, Houston is trying to move him because they believe they can. That means they at least feel that other teams will be willing to take him off their hands. This isn't like the Spurs offering Jefferson, when they had no hope of actually getting a deal (you know, until they did); if anything, it's more like the Spurs offering Scola for cap relief.

tesseractive
05-31-2013, 02:00 PM
Like who? Houston has a pretty bare-bones roster going into next season, and they need to have room for Howard. If anything, Houston is trying to move him because they believe they can. That means they at least feel that other teams will be willing to take him off their hands. This isn't like the Spurs offering Jefferson, when they had no hope of actually getting a deal (you know, until they did); if anything, it's more like the Spurs offering Scola for cap relief.
Could they find some team under the cap who would take (and cut, I guess?) Royce White if he was packaged with Terrence Jones? White + Jones is almost as much cap as Robinson alone.

DarrinS
05-31-2013, 02:07 PM
He's fucking terrible.

???

baseline bum
05-31-2013, 02:15 PM
I like Ed Davis and can't believe Memphis doesn't play the guy. :lol Hollins I guess. As for Robinson, no way do I want the team taking on extra salary when they don't know if Manu is coming back or not. I obviously want him back, but if he retires I'd rather have the $3.5 million in capspace over Robinson.

Chinook
05-31-2013, 02:15 PM
Could they find some team under the cap who would take (and cut, I guess?) Royce White if he was packaged with Terrence Jones? White + Jones is almost as much cap as Robinson alone.

You have to factor in another roster charge for this season (taking away $630k of cap space), so the Rockets would only save $2.6 Million. That would make the math a little more tricky. Not to mention that teams may be more inclined to spend $3.5 Million on Robinson rather than $3.2 Million on Jones (since White's dead money would be part of the deal). At his worse, Robinson is still an expiring contract that can be used to bring back an MLE player. Jones doesn't have that same trade power.

Chinook
05-31-2013, 02:19 PM
I like Ed Davis and can't believe Memphis doesn't play the guy. :lol Hollins I guess. As for Robinson, no way do I want the team taking on extra salary when they don't know if Manu is coming back or not. I obviously want him back, but if he retires I'd rather have the $3.5 million in capspace over Robinson.

I'm sure they'll have a good idea of that by draft night. They probably know already and RC has created off-season scenarios.

A bigger unknown is if Splitter comes back. Him signing elsewhere would free up $7.5 Million in space, which may be better combined with the Robinson space ($2.5 Million after subtracting Bonner's million-dollar buyout) to go after a legitmate free agent. With Robinson in the fold, the Spurs wouldn't have much beyond the MLE.

tesseractive
05-31-2013, 02:29 PM
You have to factor in another roster charge for this season (taking away $630k of cap space), so the Rockets would only save $2.6 Million. That would make the math a little more tricky. Not to mention that teams may be more inclined to spend $3.5 Million on Robinson rather than $3.2 Million on Jones (since White's dead money would be part of the deal). At his worse, Robinson is still an expiring contract that can be used to bring back an MLE player. Jones doesn't have that same trade power.
Some good points there -- I hadn't thought about the roster charge. The $3.5M vs $2.6M cap hold difference could well be pivotal in having the cap for Howard.

If you get a trade partner that's well under the cap, the $3.2 million for Jones is probably no big deal, right? Because the Rockets could ship out $3M in cash in the deal, and the cap money just comes out of the minimum salary pool anyway? I'm not sure what Terrence Jones's market value is, but if I really liked Robinson, I'd sure try to shop Jones before I gave up Robinson. Unless the cap difference really is the dealbreaker, or they think they can get a comparable-quality piece back for Robinson.

baseline bum
05-31-2013, 02:39 PM
I'm sure they'll have a good idea of that by draft night. They probably know already and RC has created off-season scenarios.

A bigger unknown is if Splitter comes back. Him signing elsewhere would free up $7.5 Million in space, which may be better combined with the Robinson space ($2.5 Million after subtracting Bonner's million-dollar buyout) to go after a legitmate free agent. With Robinson in the fold, the Spurs wouldn't have much beyond the MLE.

Just saw Manu is planning on playing longer in another thread posted a few minutes ago. I don't think there is anyone for available $10-$12 million who would make up for losing Splitter.

Chinook
05-31-2013, 02:40 PM
Some good points there -- I hadn't thought about the roster charge. The $3.5M vs $2.6M cap hold difference could well be pivotal in having the cap for Howard.

If you get a trade partner that's well under the cap, the $3.2 million for Jones is probably no big deal, right? Because the Rockets could ship out $3M in cash in the deal, and the cap money just comes out of the minimum salary pool anyway? I'm not sure what Terrence Jones's market value is, but if I really liked Robinson, I'd sure try to shop Jones before I gave up Robinson. Unless the cap difference really is the dealbreaker, or they think they can get a comparable-quality piece back for Robinson.

If I had to choice to pay about $3 Million for Robinson or Jones, I'd pick Robinson. I like his potential more, and his contract is more useful.

If I were Houston, I'd keep Robinson until I needed space. At worst, I'm sure the Lakers would take him as compensation if Howard decided he was leaving anyway. If they find a way to get Howard through other means, then Robinson and Asik may be enough to get back another star. But Houston never really thinks about that when making their trades. Their GM's pretty apathetic to the players' actual feelings, and he shows little patience in developing young players. I don't consider him moving Robinson for a chance at Howard to be a death knell to Robinson's stock. He'd move Parson's without blinking if that's what it took. Parsons doesn't have a big enough salary to free up the necessary cap space, though.

Chinook
05-31-2013, 02:47 PM
Just saw Manu is planning on playing longer in another thread posted a few minutes ago. I don't think there is anyone for available $10-$12 million who would make up for losing Splitter.

Yes, I agree with you about Splitter. I was just saying that if the Spurs had to replace Splitter, then $13 Million in space (about the amount the Spurs would have under the projected $60 Million cap) may help the team more than $10 Million and Robinson. But that's definitely debatable. It's possible that Robinson can play the fourth-big role pretty well, and Duncan and Diaw could start with Baynes as the back-up center. Then the cap space could be used to sign free agents, bring Bertans over on a long-term deal and/or get more assets from other teams. Something like that would almost have to happen to make Robinson's salary worth it, as $3.5 Million is too much to pay someone who spends most of his time in Austin.

baseline bum
05-31-2013, 02:51 PM
If I had to choice to pay about $3 Million for Robinson or Jones, I'd pick Robinson. I like his potential more, and his contract is more useful.

If I were Houston, I'd keep Robinson until I needed space. At worst, I'm sure the Lakers would take him as compensation if Howard decided he was leaving anyway. If they find a way to get Howard through other means, then Robinson and Asik may be enough to get back another star. But Houston never really thinks about that when making their trades. Their GM's pretty apathetic to the players' actual feelings, and he shows little patience in developing young players. I don't consider him moving Robinson for a chance at Howard to be a death knell to Robinson's stock. He'd move Parson's without blinking if that's what it took. Parsons doesn't have a big enough salary to free up the necessary cap space, though.

I'd rather have Jones than Robinson. Jones showed some real flashes last year and could be a nice smallball PF.

Chinook
05-31-2013, 03:01 PM
I'd rather have Jones than Robinson. Jones showed some real flashes last year and could be a nice smallball PF.

And maybe Houston has those same thoughts while not thinking Robinson's a bust. I never know what Morey is thinking.

HemisfairArena
06-27-2013, 09:02 PM
So here is the thread I started when the Rockets made Robinson available and said I would love the Spurs to go after him and most here crushed me. Now when the Spurs front office agrees with me...posters change their tune. LMAO.