PDA

View Full Version : If Pop was the coach for Indiana.....

PÒÓCH
05-30-2013, 10:20 PM
Would they win the series?
Indiana seems undisiplined, tons of unwarranted turnovers, careless passes. Guys seemingly not knowing what their team roles are.
Opinions, assesments, points of view?

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-30-2013, 10:23 PM
Definitely would be more challenging, but they wouldn't be able to get over Stephenson's stupid ass plays and having a terrible bench.

eyeh8u
05-30-2013, 10:25 PM
they would not, based on lack of talent. no real ball handler, no real go to scorer, no 3pt shooting. great defense only gets you so far, 80 points in a game is almost always a loss.

TrueSpursFan
Was thinking that when watching the game, there were no set plays (if there were any) that were executed correctly in the second half. Maybe we are just used to the Spurs being the Spurs and Pop being Pop.

dbreiden83080
Most of spurstalk thinks Pop is a terrible coach..

dbreiden83080
05-30-2013, 10:27 PM
they would not, based on lack of talent. no real ball handler, no real go to scorer, no 3pt shooting

All things the Spurs have..

Interesting..

jdiggy0424
05-30-2013, 10:31 PM
It would be more competitive, but it would still be a six game series in miami's favor.

PÒÓCH
05-30-2013, 10:31 PM
Was thinking that when watching the game, there were no set plays (if there were any) that were executed correctly in the second half. Maybe we are just used to the Spurs being the Spurs and Pop being Pop.

And where is the pick and roll, multiple screens?

PÒÓCH
05-30-2013, 10:34 PM
You can see why we got rid of Hill, he plays vert timidly, how many times did LaBron pwn him tonight?

KaiRMD1
05-30-2013, 10:40 PM
Hibbert would be more of a beast, Leonard would never have been traded away and Stephenson would have been waived

SpurPadre
05-30-2013, 10:49 PM
Hibbert would be more of a beast, Leonard would never have been traded away and Stephenson would have been waived

Say what you want about Stephenson but who'd you rather have: Neal or him?

Trifecta
05-30-2013, 10:52 PM
No way Indy wins!!! Very timid on offense outside of Paul George and Hibbert. West did not show up tonight either!
Indy has no adequate floor spacing.....passes practically look like handoffs!
Miami can afford to pack on them.

KaiRMD1
05-30-2013, 10:52 PM
Say what you want about Stephenson but who'd you rather have: Neal or him?

Stephenson, but Pop wouldn't tolerate his childish attitude from last season

SpurPadre
05-30-2013, 10:56 PM
You may be right. He might have Stak5'd him but then again, he's put up with Blair and now DeCOMPLAINER's crap.

m33p0
05-30-2013, 11:01 PM
basic pacer offensive set: get the ball to whoever is closest the basket and take a shot. doesn't matter who it is. option is to take the shot yourself.

exstatic
05-30-2013, 11:41 PM
Their bench sucks, and they don't score efficiently.

Darius McCrary
05-30-2013, 11:43 PM
Why is timvp resorting to alter ego dogs posting in giant red fonts to garner discussion on ST, tbh.

dg7md
05-30-2013, 11:53 PM
Considering the Pacers had a shot to go up 3 games to 1, I really think Pop would have led them to win the series due to their match-up advantage against the Heat. It wouldn't be easy, but I think it could be done.

The Pacers losing that game with a LeBron layup reminded me of the 0.4 shot we suffered in that while it wasn't an elimination game — once you lose like that, there's no real way to recover to win the series.

The Pacers will beat Miami in a playoff series at some point, though.

johnnySpurs
05-31-2013, 12:14 AM
cHeat figured out Indiana pretty quickly, double West or Hibbert as soon as they get the ball in the post.

ajh18
05-31-2013, 12:18 AM
If the Pacers can keep their core together, stay healthy, and get Granger back, they should be able to give Miami a real run for their money in the East next year. An improved Hibbert and George, plus Granger, Hill, and West is a dangerous starting five.

Add a healthy D. Rose back on the Bulls, bring back the Heat, and the East will be a very strong conference.

Mr. Body
05-31-2013, 12:31 AM
Would Indiana be winning this series if they had the Spurs' bench?

BC3
05-31-2013, 12:48 AM
both the pacers and the heat looked real tired tonight. worn out at the end. especially the pacers.

lefty
05-31-2013, 01:11 AM
Pacers in 6 imo

Obstructed_View
05-31-2013, 06:35 AM
Pop wouldn't have traded for George Hill, so there's that. If Indiana didn't take so many stupid shots they'd be much better, and Pop would make sure that would happen. Indiana is made to dump the ball down to Hibbert and use everyone else to punish double-teamers.

silverblk mystix
05-31-2013, 10:37 AM
I don't know - as soon as Bosh hit a 3 ptr or two - pop would go small - and the size advantage Indiana has - would be gone....

Just sayin'

MmP
05-31-2013, 10:46 AM
This
I saw just a few set plays, other than that. Just pick and rolls

SA210
05-31-2013, 11:18 AM
Most of spurstalk thinks Pop is a terrible coach..

I think he's a great coach that let's his stubbornness and ego get in the way, way too much. He has MANY WTF moments, no doubt about that. Bonner being many of them, weird ass lineups at the worst times, benching hot players, going away from a defensive mindset for several years, etc. but, he is a great coach. Spurs would have at least 2 or 3 more Championships had it not been for things like that. But going for #5 is way better than going for none. Still doesn't excuse his bonehead decisions sometimes. I'm glad he got back to defense, but I still worry about his overuse of Bonner.

Spurs 4 The Win
05-31-2013, 11:29 AM
I think he's a great coach that let's his stubbornness and ego get in the way, way too much. He has MANY WTF moments, no doubt about that. Bonner being many of them, weird ass lineups at the worst times, benching hot players, going away from a defensive mindset for several years, etc. but, he is a great coach. Spurs would have at least 2 or 3 more Championships had it not been for things like that. But going for #5 is way better than going for none. Still doesn't excuse his bonehead decisions sometimes. I'm glad he got back to defense, but I still worry about his overuse of Bonner.

You are a stupid person lol

SA210
05-31-2013, 11:37 AM
You are a stupid person lol

Nah, just tellin the truth. I said he's a great coach. What more do you want? lol

Blake
05-31-2013, 11:44 AM
Nah, just tellin the truth. I said he's a great coach. What more do you want? lol

You also said it's his fault that they don't have two-three more championships.

Who out there would have gotten them those extra championships?

Obstructed_View
05-31-2013, 11:49 AM

Anybody who didn't think it was a good idea to bench the centers because Nazr hit a garbage-time three?

moisaenz
05-31-2013, 11:51 AM
Something simple, hibbert is a huge body, who is rarely used to set up screens for Hill and George, especially before Hill gets double team. Once Hill is double teamed their offense is disrupted, George gets the ball and plays hero ball...

SouthernFried
05-31-2013, 11:52 AM
Indiana is coached terribly.

I've seen guys posting up in the same location, lanes wide open, some of the worst pick and rolls I've ever seen. Every time I see Hibbert set a pick, he is so far away from the ball handler, he has to reach out his arm just to be able to touch the defender...let alone pick him. This just ain't the pickers fault, the guard needs to use the pick better as well as the picker needing to come further out. These problems are all about coaching and practice, and should have been addressed in training camp.

Honestly, if Pop had these guys (and there's some real talent there,) I truly believe Indiana could beat Miami...because Miami is coached terribly too. Miami is relegated to relying on LeBron both on offensive and defensive ends. That's not coaching your team. The only saving grace for Miami's "team" play...is there are more veterans there that know the game better, and may not need to be coached as much.

If POP coached Indiana...I would pick Indiana over Miami. All they need, is a damn good coach.

BTW, that's why I don't care who we play in the Finals. The X factor is going to be the coaching. And neither Indiana or Miami have a coach worth a damn.

SA210
05-31-2013, 11:56 AM

Here goes the moron that sucks Pops tit every chance he gets. I don't see anything wrong with what I said. It is what it is. He lost a couple for his decisions, plain and simple. Get over it. Not everybody is blinded like you. He went away from playing his centers and he lost bc of it. He's playing his center now and has re-focused the team on defense, and we are now in the Finals. :lol

:hat

Obstructed_View
05-31-2013, 12:07 PM
Hill stands there and dribbles the ball until there's three seconds on the shot clock and puts up a jumper far too often. It's kind of sad that that hasn't been conditioned out of him. If Pop did his job the way we expect, George should flinch every time he does that.

wildbill2u
05-31-2013, 12:40 PM
I've been amazed during the playoffs at how many teams don't seem to have a cohesive offensive approach, often confused or going one on one.

Meanwhile, the Spurs relentlessly execute their offense, breaking down the defenses, and utilizing option after option if the first play doesn't result in a good shot.

tesseractive
05-31-2013, 02:15 PM
Here goes the moron that sucks Pops tit every chance he gets. I don't see anything wrong with what I said. It is what it is. He lost a couple for his decisions, plain and simple. Get over it. Not everybody is blinded like you. He went away from playing his centers and he lost bc of it. He's playing his center now and has re-focused the team on defense, and we are now in the Finals. :lol

:hat
Whether you should play your centers depends on what your options are at center and who you're playing against. We won the 2005 title because Robert Horry was 100% less shitty than either of our centers. Miami won last year's title with Chris Bosh as their starting center.

Rasho and Nazr sucked except in specific matchups, and they held us back for years. Two years ago, Tiago wasn't remotely ready for playoff minutes. Last year, we couldn't score when Tiago and Tim were on the floor together, so we didn't play them together. We might have been able to adapt some of the schemes and coach him up given enough time, but he was injured a lot. This year, he can actually post up guards when he gets a favorable matchup, and Tim's even more of a threat from the elbow, so we can still get good spacing. The result: a great lineup with two legit big men.