PDA

View Full Version : 14 Years Ago

FromWayDowntown
05-31-2013, 10:46 AM
Fourteen years ago today, May 31, 1999:

http://www.nba.com/spurs/multimedia/memorial_day_miracle.html

While the Spurs may have won with or without it, in the moment, it felt like the psyche of an entire franchise and city changed with one rip of a basketball net.

I still can't forget the sound of that building erupting.

TheChillFactor
05-31-2013, 11:00 AM
Here's the broadcast:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1EL38SKyX8 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1EL38SKyX8)

The best Spurs moment ever. This is when we started to Believe.

Drachen
05-31-2013, 11:09 AM
I have to say, I loved the way Robinson celebrated in general. Both arms up, jumping up and down like a little kid. Go watch the 03 comeback against dallas... He was on the bench and everytime we hit a 3 they cut to the bench with some big goofball arms up jumping up and down like a little kid, but back to the camera. Then that goofball turns around and holy crap it is david!

davidbowie
05-31-2013, 11:13 AM
I WAS THERE

Dex
05-31-2013, 11:29 AM
Typical Pop, drawing up a three when all you need is a two.

Obstructed_View
05-31-2013, 11:32 AM

:lol Everyone watching knew Sean didn't give a shit what play was drawn up. He was on a hot streak, and was going to shoot that ball no matter what. There were probably a lot of fans watching who were thinking "no no no no no HE MADE IT!"

Obstructed_View
05-31-2013, 11:34 AM
The best Spurs moment ever.

Third at best, probably not in top five tbh.

First:

http://alamocitytimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/David-and-Duncan-trophy.jpg

Second:

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/files/2011/11/Peter-Holt-draft-1109-306x272.jpg

:lol

Whisky Dog
05-31-2013, 11:38 AM
Spurs team making comebacks from big deficits and winning close games with defensive execution and making enough plays...

Sounds familiar

mudyez
05-31-2013, 11:50 AM
I don't care if we win #5. I just love this team!

The Whopper
05-31-2013, 11:51 AM
That was the day we crossed the Rubicon.

Gervin44Silas13
05-31-2013, 11:54 AM
I was in Section 124!!!!!!

Spurminator
05-31-2013, 12:00 PM
Third at best, probably not in top five tbh.

First:

http://alamocitytimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/David-and-Duncan-trophy.jpg

Second:

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/files/2011/11/Peter-Holt-draft-1109-306x272.jpg

I don't know... As a fan, and in terms of just sheer elation, it's probably the top single moment for me. The rest of that 1999 Title run almost felt like a victory lap after the MDM. When Elliott hit that shot, I knew we were going to win the Championship.

1. MDM
2. Robinson exiting Game 6 in 2003
3. Horry, 2005

For me, anyway.

Horse
05-31-2013, 12:51 PM
Anyone who attended you lucky pricks!

tesseractive
05-31-2013, 01:04 PM
I don't know... As a fan, and in terms of just sheer elation, it's probably the top single moment for me. The rest of that 1999 Title run almost felt like a victory lap after the MDM. When Elliott hit that shot, I knew we were going to win the Championship.

1. MDM
2. Robinson exiting Game 6 in 2003
3. Horry, 2005

For me, anyway.

1. MDM
2. Horry 2005 Game 5
3. Horry 2003 Game 5 :lmao

Just like the MDM in '99, #3 is the moment I knew we were going to win the title in '03.

baseline bum
05-31-2013, 01:08 PM

but play was for Robinson

TheChillFactor
05-31-2013, 01:34 PM
Yeah, I still have my ticket stub somewhere...

Budkin
05-31-2013, 01:41 PM
I was sitting in the den at my mom's house, jumped in the air and smashed my knuckles into the wooden fan blades that were spinning. Didn't even feel the pain tbh.

UZER
05-31-2013, 01:46 PM
Jay Howards "oh my God!" radio call was spot on....speechless euphoria.

this play was the moment Neo realized he was the one.

Budkin
05-31-2013, 01:49 PM
Also I love the shot of Robinson running into the tunnel with a huge smile on his face followed by Mario Elie jumping in the air and pumping his fist. He really brought a toughness to that team that they had never had before.

TrueSpursFan
05-31-2013, 02:51 PM
Got chills watching that

05-31-2013, 06:17 PM
1. MDM
2. Horry 2005 Game 5
3. Horry 2003 Game 5 :lmao

Just like the MDM in '99, #3 is the moment I knew we were going to win the title in '03.

Was Ginobli's game 1 vs GSW shot thee shot this year?

tesseractive
05-31-2013, 07:00 PM
Was Ginobli's game 1 vs GSW shot thee shot this year?
This year, I wasn't sure after Game 1. Golden State had played such a good game, and then Game 2 gave me more doubts, and the Dubs kept making runs in Game 3.

The play that made me sure that the Spurs were in it to win it was in Q4 of Game 3 of the Warriors series. The Spurs called that timeout when the Ws cut the lead to 2 and had the ball. Their first offensive play after the timeout, they ran that beautiful Ginobili/Splitter pick and roll and Manu fired that cross-court pass to Tony for the open Corner 3. Boom. That's when I knew they were going to win the game, the series, and the conference, and that they'd be ready for whatever Miami could throw at them.

ShoogarBear
05-31-2013, 07:44 PM

1. MDM
For me, anyway.

Same here. People act now like beating Portland was a forgone conclusion, but the general consensus at the time was Portland had more talent and gave away Game 1. If they had held on to win Game 2, they go back to Portland with a split and all the momentum.

They completely gave up after the MDM. The Spurs destroyed them in Portland in Game 3, winning by 22 even though Duncan had one of his worst games ever (5 points).

easjer
05-31-2013, 09:53 PM
That shot was completely unreal. It was like time slowed down until it went in. Totally amazing. I remember that huge grin on Sean's face when he was told that Portland's coach had essentially said it was a lucky shot, and he probably couldn't do it again. He said he was still feeling it. Fucking incredible.

Remember the 'Memo commercials'? That was one of my favorites - Amazing Grace playing in the background as he slow-motion goes up for the shot, and it goes in? And the text says "He could have missed it. But not this year." And yeah. That was exactly it. It felt like no way he missed that shot. No way. Of course, he could have, but it went in and it was fucking crazy because I simultaneously knew he would make it and was afraid he wouldn't.

Then, what, 6 weeks later? He had his kidney replaced. Talk about Memorial Day Miracle. Always been amazed by that.

SpursDynasty
05-31-2013, 11:29 PM
I don't know why so many people make a big deal out of this shot. This is just another instance of sports writers and fans trying to make a storyline out of one shot.

Sean Elliott's shot was not a lucky play, a miracle, or a surprise or a shock. That's usually a shot that Sean Elliott could expect to make. He just went out on the court, shot a shot that he was supposed to shoot, and made it. Nothing more, nothing less. Great moment but it isn't an all-time greatest Spurs moment or anything. Elliott just made a shot he was supposed to make, and the Spurs beat a team they were supposed to beat. The Spurs could have beaten the 90's MJ Bulls that year.

Again, the so-called Memorial Day Miracle was not a miracle. Just another day at the office for the Spurs. Not trying to take away from that moment, but that's a routine shot for Elliott in 1999.

lakerhaterade
05-31-2013, 11:30 PM
SpursDynasty, my favorite poster tbh

TheGoldStandard
05-31-2013, 11:35 PM
I miss that Alamodome atmosphere, so many fans and so loud

DarrinS
06-01-2013, 06:43 AM
Yes, I remember it well. Because I broke my ceiling fan.

TampaDude
06-01-2013, 06:48 AM
I don't know why so many people make a big deal out of this shot. This is just another instance of sports writers and fans trying to make a storyline out of one shot.

Sean Elliott's shot was not a lucky play, a miracle, or a surprise or a shock. That's usually a shot that Sean Elliott could expect to make. He just went out on the court, shot a shot that he was supposed to shoot, and made it. Nothing more, nothing less. Great moment but it isn't an all-time greatest Spurs moment or anything. Elliott just made a shot he was supposed to make, and the Spurs beat a team they were supposed to beat. The Spurs could have beaten the 90's MJ Bulls that year.

Again, the so-called Memorial Day Miracle was not a miracle. Just another day at the office for the Spurs. Not trying to take away from that moment, but that's a routine shot for Elliott in 1999.

TampaDude
06-01-2013, 06:51 AM
I remember it like it was yesterday. I still get chills when I listen to the call by Costas.